It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take this job and shove it: Fed-up Bangor TV anchors quit on air

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Just ran across this little nugget and thought I would share.
If there is anyone left here who actually doubts the FACT that our "news" is bought and paid for by people with political interests then this may help you understand just what kind of Country your are living in.

BANGOR, Maine — Citing a longstanding battle with upper management over journalistic practices at their Bangor TV stations, news co-anchors Cindy Michaels and Tony Consiglio announced their resignations at the end of Tuesday’s 6 p.m. newscast.

“There was a constant disrespecting and belittling of staff and we both felt there was a lack of knowledge from ownership and upper management in running a newsroom to the extent that I was not allowed to structure and direct them professionally,” Michaels explained. “I couldn’t do everything I wanted to as a news director. There was a regular undoing of decisions.”

Here is where it gets interesting though.

“It’s a culmination of ongoing occurrences that took place the last several years and basically involved upper management practices that we both strongly disagreed with,” she explained. “It’s a little complicated, but we were expected to do somewhat unbalanced news, politically, in general.”

There you have it.
Apparently it was blatant enough to cause BOTH of their news anchors to quit at the SAME TIME.
Good for these two for having a backbone and standing up to this kind of crap.

You are told what "they" want you to know and you ARE NOT told what they do NOT want you to know.
PERIOD!

Hope this can wake a few people up.

Sorry, forgot to post a link.

Linky winky woo
edit on 21-11-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

The thing is, their most likely naive enough, to believe it isn't going to be like that any where else they go.
Get'in the hell out of Maine. They'll be on a beach in the Bahamas earning 20%.

SnF
edit on 21-11-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
ok they quit
but why dont they say exactly why and what they couldnt report on
the rest of the world already knows the usa news networks is propaganda garbage
so just quit instead of fighting for change
that will show them

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
That was very anti-climatic, I was expecting a freak out. With the anchor literally telling them to shove it.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Total respect for these guys, shame it will leave them broken and penny less. Wouldnt at all be surprised if they didnt meet with some type of 'accident' for outing them. If only all the news readers had these guys balls.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I thought it could have been more informal.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
bangor maine?

a possum has babies and it's front page news.

the local walmart raises their shopping cart deposit from a quarter to 50 cents and its breaking news.

the guy said he's going to continue his career in another capacity i.e. he's going back to bagging groceries and the lady said she's going to do some painting and some free lance writing i.e. she's going back to being a stay at home mom.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I think poeple would do well to remember that they are going to want a JOB sometime in the future!
Maybe even one in "Journalism".
So it wouldn't serve them well to just get on the air and pull a Ron Burgundy out of their azz and say "Go F yourself San Diago".

"and ohh btw, upper management are bought and paid for by corporate interests and you all are getting screwed without even knowing it.... Stay Classy Bangor"

edit on 21-11-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Thank you Screwed, great post.

This is similar to what happened with Cenk Uygur from the Young Turks. He was canned from MSNBC for wanting to report the news.

MSM is a con job to teach the masses hate and fear.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
bangor maine?

a possum has babies and it's front page news.

the local walmart raises their shopping cart deposit from a quarter to 50 cents and its breaking news.

the guy said he's going to continue his career in another capacity i.e. he's going back to bagging groceries and the lady said she's going to do some painting and some free lance writing i.e. she's going back to being a stay at home mom.

There's a lot more than you think that goes on here in Maine. However, I am assuming you were exaggerating a bit for comedy sake.

To the OP, I'm from Maine and I didn't even know about this. Really shows you how much I watch cable news. Interesting reasons for leaving though. I wonder if we'll be seeing anymore of this anywhere else.

Oh and.....

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Good for them, I'm made as hell and I'm not going to rake it anymore!

SS

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The media is simply big business, and they use their business to manipulate the system, and society, in order to ensure they stay in business and make profit.

You should never trust anything that has to make a profit, because profit is more important than the truth. An economy based on profit is not concerned with the welfare of the people.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
As much as they might have wanted to tell the public why they were quitting on air it would have been cut out if they had tried as the news in on a delayed feed.
Maybe they can't find jobs doing journalism in the future.
At least some people are willing to make sacrifices for principles
Those who shake their heads at that notion are the very ones who need principles the most.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Those guys are screwd.....no not the OP i mean...they wouldnt even get a yellow journalism job in china now........
Stay at home bums is what theyll end up as.............Still i give em 2 big
!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
"Drops bombshell on live tv"? That's quite the overstatement... anyway it's a well-put resignation. Just not exactly what I was expecting with a title like that.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by xszawe
ok they quit
but why dont they say exactly why and what they couldnt report on
the rest of the world already knows the usa news networks is propaganda garbage
so just quit instead of fighting for change
that will show them

fight for change?

Like Serpico, right?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Take your thread and shove it!

Misleading title much?

This is the title of the news story you linked,

TV news anchors resign on air

edit,

It was just an anouncement, nothing spontaneous, but effectively, the fact that they would quit is a "take your job and shove it", you are right in that sense.
edit on 22-11-2012 by WoodSpirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Bangor Maine is a beautiful area.. I lived on Loring AFB when I was a kid, went back there for a base reunion this past summer. It was amazing, and kind of sad seeing how most of it is falling into despair and gone.

At one time Loring held one of the largest, if not the largest for a short time, nuclear stockpiles in the country. Not bad for a place where moose regularly make the front page

That area seems to be very conservative and liberty minded as well, which was nice to be around on my return visit. A lot of Ron Paul fans. I am not surprised to see this happening there. Maybe their openness will give other journalist the motivation they need to expose some of the corruption that is in the news industry...wishful thinking I'm sure lol.

edit.. oh and thanks OP for posting this, I scurried over to ATS to post it when I saw the article lol
edit on 11/22/2012 by toepick because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0nZ
That was very anti-climatic, I was expecting a freak out. With the anchor literally telling them to shove it.

I agree, but I wasn't expecting a loud showdown, I was at least expecting them to make the most of their opportunity.

How about they tell the truth about it on air, as they quit? Why wait until after the fact and just make vague statements about their reasons? They potentially had millions of people able to see this, and they wasted the opportunity to be real news broadcasters, giving an honest account of their reasons.

A real news broadcaster would have made a proper statement for this, offering an example, evidence, and THEN quit live on air.

What they did was noble, but pretty weak. If they are not even willing to call out their bosses on the biased nature of their company, how do they ever expect anything to change? They missed out on the chance to raise the issue with a large dedicated audience, and back up what many (but not enough) already know.

They should have stated for all to see that they were leaving because the news is biased, their company has moneyed interests and is influenced. They should have told the truth and not have placed this professional and fake gloss over everything.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

i don't know.....
my opinion is that these two journalists gained credibility in standing up for what they believed in. they can be marketed as "real" journalists. where ever they end up will automatically have credibility.

just my thoughts.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join