It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to deal with tv licence officials in the uk.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wifibrains
reply to post by Just Chris

Hey just chris, was this you?

Awesome, nope but I really need to get one of those masks for real!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by HolgerTheDane2

Public service channels are the ones that give us a quality product that compete in this tough media world. But the quality is there. There is a reason why the public service channel BBC are responsible for some of the greatest documentaries ever made. It is because the aim was to produce quality - not attract commercials.

All of what you said is pretty irrelevant but this part especially... It doesn't matter if the "programming" was super marvelous! The fact is it is funded by THEFT/INTIMIDATION... Is this the way of a "civilized society"? I mean come on this is how the MAFIA operates!

Besides quality is down to perspective! If you like it, then YOU pay for it, but you think it is okay to force everybody else to pay for it too?

Public service channels are the ones that give us a quality product that compete in this tough media world. But the quality is there. There is a reason why the public service channel BBC are responsible for some of the greatest documentaries ever made. It is because the aim was to produce quality - not attract commercials.

We have the internet my friend. Everything that your heart desires is right at your fingertips...

But again like I said it doesn't matter... Is it okay then if I go out and rob a few people so that I can go help some homeless? I mean it's for a good cause and I would provide a super duper service...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

Ha, nice one. Do you have the same fun when the census come calling for personal info?

Non compliance. People just assume they have to when the tvl inspecter mentions the tvl act, and many say if you own a tv you must have a licence. I brought a new tv from currys and got a letter from tvl, saying a tv was bought under this address and there is not licence on the record for this address.

Very dissapointed in currys and whatever database my details went into.
edit on 21-11-2012 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

Non compliance!

Yeah it is ridiculous what people allow them to get away with! Maybe it is down to the super duper "programming"?

I actually do not watch TV, I could let them in and all of that, but why the hell should I? Who the hell are these people? I get other bods coming round telling me I MUST put my name on the electoral register and fill in the census etc... They ALL get the same treatment... I tell them to continue their support for mass murder and torture! I don't care but if you want to work for these criminals then you are a criminal in my book...

Just imagine what the world would look like if we all stood up and did it together...

Edit: I haven't even "registered" my son who was 1 yesterday let alone deal with any of these clowns...
edit on 21-11-2012 by mee30 because: (no reason given)

Oh another edit: I was shopping one day and I had some sales woman approach me, for cavity wall insulation and all that non-sense... Well I politely told her I wasn't interested and I couldn't believe it but SHE tried to pull out government force on me! "well did you know about the new regulations (in a really old saggy female dog voice)"?

I couldn't believe it... I said so who made that up then? She said the government and so I informed her that I couldn't care less what those lying, thieving, mass murdering psychopaths had to say! She just turned around

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris

I'm not so sure about the BBC providing me with a quality viewing experience. In fact I find ITV far more interesting from a news, sport and entertainment perspective, any day of the week.

What's good about BBC? Eastenders.....not for me personally. Even the sports coverage is dire.

It's kind of sad that all you can think of is Eastenders.

What about
Doctor Who
Why poverty
Only Fools and Horses
The Dark Charisma of Adolf Hitler
Later Live with Jools Holland
Coping
David Attenborough
The Genious of David Bowie

Not to mention their wast archive of your heritage.

Not to mention their radio shows that are famed all over the world.
Woman's hour
News Quiz
Hancock Half Hour
Book of the Week
Revolutions per minute
The Goon Show
In Alistair Cooke's footsteps
Holloway Dreams

BBC (as well as our public service channels) doesn't have to send programs all the time for just me. They produce and send for the few and for the many.

If you prefer to have your culture destroyed or forgotten - it's your choice.

I just happen to think it's a poor choice just for the sake of being able to laugh at a man trying to collect for what really is in yours and your nations best interest.

But by all means - join the masses that suck up to commercial interests. That's what we normally call "the American way of life". If it doesn't benefit you personally - chuck it.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
***snip***
We have the internet my friend. Everything that your heart desires is right at your fingertips...
***snip***

You are right.
But you need what is good for you - not just what you desire.

A survey on a univeristy showed that people searching google tended to use the stuff they got on page 1. Also when they chose a site they chose according to what they thought was right - not what WAS right.

If you use places like ATS for finding what's "your heart desires" then you loose.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Oops we have someone with Stockholm Syndrome, make some room now, make some room...

"well it's okay if they steal of everyone really, it's okay if they make threats and intimidate people, hell even send them to PRISON! It's for their 'best interests' and they do make super duper "programming" for us and they really care for us. That is why we must be beaten and locked up if we refuse to comply. It is our own fault, we just need to lick their boots and it will all be super duper rosey"

Listen my good man... I decide what is in MY best interests! Not you nor anyone will decide that for me, okay?

Secondly how on earth can stealing, lying, intimidating be in anyones best interests? This may be the world you want to live in but I certainly do not!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

If you don't watch BBC live...then good for you!....you stood your ground and you are correct in law

If however, you do watch BBC live, and are just dodging the licence fee, then why should you or anyone else get it for free?

Really I'm playing devils advocate here, because I agree the system is unfair, what the BBC should really do is offer their advert free programming as a subscription service, then only the people that want it would have to pay for it.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

You are right. But you need what is good for you - not just what you desire.

HA, oh so I get it, you need the BBC to TELL you what is good for you? I pity you and perhaps now I feel slightly guilty that I haven't donated to the charity BBC (Big Brother Charity?). I never knew there were people that were challenged in such a way...

Sorry for my sarcasm but you are just an anti freedom slave...

A survey on a univeristy showed that people searching google tended to use the stuff they got on page 1. Also when they chose a site they chose according to what they thought was right - not what WAS right.

Listen... Whatever someone DECIDES is RIGHT is RIGHT... okay? Who the hell are you or any university to tell people what is a correct search or not? I bet you would rather have the internet spoon fed to people to or maybe mainlined into the eyes!

I honestly find your comments so offensive. You really think people are not capable of searching for what THEY like? You think people are brainless?

Anyway, even if all you were implying was true (which it isn't) and even if the BBC had peoples interests at heart (which they do not). It doesn't matter! You can't use violence to get what you want! Wasn't you told that at primary school? You have clear stockholm syndrome, you are making excuses for your capture! It's okay man, it wasn't your fault...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

If you don't watch BBC live...then good for you!....you stood your ground and you are correct in law

I have to admit here that I do not care about THEIR law... Do THEY stick to the LAW? Do they even tell the truth? They are a criminal organization... I can provide you a boatload of proof in about 10 seconds flat!

I don't watch TV because I know it is all brain rotting non-sense NOT because I am intimidated by their "law"...

Why should people get it for free? Wait, so now you are laying blame for the BBC funding policy on "the people"? The ones being intimidated and stolen from? The ones that have NO control on how the BBC is funded? This is clear stockholm syndrome... Sorry but it is... How can you not see how wrong that is?

The BBC should STOP using force and intimidation to get it's damn money! And find another way... I know, they can run off DONATIONS, I'm sure YOU will donate heavily to the good cause...

Why do you justify theft and violence against your fellow man?

Edit: I would like to add something else here too.

See I do not begrudge you the BBC, if you WANT the BBC then YOU pay for the BB. It is exactly the same if you want sky or virgin... I couldn't care less! It is your FREEDOM of choice! Don't you get that? Even if everybody but you chose to watch the teletubbies and you thought that was REALLY silly it doesn't give you any right to go and use violence against them, does it? It is non of your business!

I always hear people saying stuff about how our grandads fought for our freedoms and how the current armed forces are fighting for our freedom... I bet YOU are one of those people... And then you spew absolutely vile anti freedom stuff like this?

I want to reach out to you, human to human... Please STOP using and advocating VIOLENCE against me! Can you do that? Can you allow me my freedom? I promise you that I will never encroach on yours. I just ask for the same respect back...

Sorry second edit:

I just noticed something, your comment is not actually correct either...

The "law" or so called law is actually that you need a licence to watch LIVE TV. It doesn't matter if you NEVER watch the BBC, you still need to pay by LAW... You can be paying for sky and never even flick onto the BBC and be breaking the LAW. Just thought I'd clear that one up...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

This is clear stockholm syndrome... Sorry but it is...
How can you not see how wrong that is? The BBC should STOP using force and intimidation to get it's damn money! And find another way... I know, they can run off DONATIONS, I'm sure YOU will donate heavily to the good cause... Why do you justify theft and violence against your fellow man?

You appear to be on a "rant" and unable to comprehend or read properly...try reading my initial post again, I suggested a way the BBC could get their funding.......and stop putting words in peoples mouths....it's not big and it's not clever, where did I "justify violence" against anyone?

Internet warriors!......you gotta love 'em

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

You appear to be on a "rant" and unable to comprehend or read properly...try reading my initial post again, I suggested a way the BBC could get their funding.......and stop putting words in peoples mouths....it's not big and it's not clever, where did I "justify violence" against anyone? Internet warriors!......you gotta love 'em

My humblest apologies, I didn't make it past the second line because it wound me up too much and my comments up to that point still stand. As in the argument you raised as devils advocate does not stand, I hope you agree with me here?

As for the rest that I didn't initially read yes, it is common sense... If you want it pay for it, pretty simple really isn't it...

As for internet warrior all I can say is I practice what I preach...

Apologies again for firing off prematurely...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
TIP THAT WORK'S FOR ME (everytime)

Im 45 and i have never bought a TV license, ever. But every 3 year's or so i get a visit from the TV license people. When they arrive at my door i alway's tell them i have no need for a TV license, and i have never owned a TV

And every time they say the same thing, can i come in to your house to confirm this, And every time i tell them to F*CK OFF and slam the door in there face. A week or two later i get a letter from them saying basically they accept the fact that i do not require a license.
So this work's for me and i would recommend you try it your self.

I refuse point blank to pay for one. any time anything becomes popular in the UK they tax it to death. Fishing is the most popular sport in the UK they tax the ownership of having a fishing rod, flying becomes cheaper and more popular a few year's back and they heavily tax that also. We are the most heavily taxed country in the world. And it's no big secret that our politician's are a bunch off crook's. What happens when they get caught fiddling there expense's, sometimes for hundred's of thousands of pound's ,IE: cleaning there moat for there castle WTF has that got to do with being a politician ? or surveying the tree's on there land, that bill was over two hundred thousand pound's if i remember correctly.
The Police do nothing about it, as being a politician in the UK mean's you are untouchable, above the law.
But basically it's all our faults, we should drive them out of power and into prison were they belong, all we need to do is protest, it's that simple.
Dont know who's quote this is. But it is very true:

" People should not be afraid of their governments governments should be afraid of their people. "
OR
" When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty "

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Horati0

Couldn't agree more, except for maybe the protest part... Protesting is like begging your slavemaster, it is giving them legitimacy. I say just turn our backs on them. I say just refuse to comply, we can do it all from the comforts of our homes... If everyone did it they would be finished. Their last play would be to imprison everyone, and I don't think that would go down too well...

Anyway glad to see your comment.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mee30

Yes, protesting is exactly what they want you to do, then when you have finished protesting you can go back to your law abiding life.

When a protest turns to a riot it gives them all the ammo they need, "look what you people are like, you need to be controlled"

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Ah the BBC television license.....Its basically a form of extorsion. They are FORCING you to pay for something that you dont want! I mean why on earth would you want to watch the crap that the put out?repeat after repeat and horrendousley biased news reporting. The bbc is a dinosour, Yet it still wields huge power over uk citizens, almost like a mafia. the sooner we all tell it to F26k off, the better.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
This is how it goes down.

You open the door to them, they will tell you who they are and ask who you are. You are under no obligation to provide them with any information. They will then ask if you have a TV. Simple answer is no good bye. However they will then say something like "Can we come in to your front room to verifi you don't have a TV?". Again you are under no obligation to provide access to them. Ask them to leave your property or you will phone the police. End of story!
edit on 22-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Question:

Did any of you rebellious (I think I'm clever brigade) ever get a court summons regarding the lack of a TV Licence

a) did you tell them to feck off
b) ignore it
c) How much was the fine?

Incidentally i didn't think you needed any fancy letters to keep people off your property. An old law states the only people allowed on your property are the postman and anyone else as long as they are only asking for directions. Anyone else is officially trespassing.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The BBC License Fee system is clearly outdated and based on life in decades gone by, where BBC broadcasting was the cornerstone of viewing for anyone with a TV.

Having said that, the BBC does provide a service (that I happen to rate quite highly) and I think its perfectly reasonable to charge a fee to reflect that. I see many people here are using words like "extortion" or "blackmail" - well, that's not the case given how many people have also commented here on simple ways to deal with inspectors that don't result in extortion or blackmail.

Whilst I am confident you are all upstanding members of your community, there are a significant number of people in the UK who would willingly avoid paying the license fee simply because they do not want to, despite watching live BBC TV. For as long as these selfish, self-centred idiots exist, such spot-checks will regrettably be required.

In the same way that all UK drivers are presumed to have a valid driving licence, there are a number who do not and for this reason cars are occasionally stopped.

This isn't about the BBC being over-zealous or extortionists - it's about TV Licensing making a token gesture to support an otherwise reasonable arrangement, which is better than no gesture at all.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join