It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Teen Sentenced To Ten Years Of Church As Manslaughter Punishment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Via Koco.com and Blacklistednews.c om

Ugh... this really pisses me off..

Tyler Allred must attend church every Sunday for next 10 years

OKLAHOMA CITY — An Oklahoma teen convicted of manslaughter won't get jail time instead a judge sentenced him to go to church.
Tyler Allred was 17-years-old when prosecutors say he drove while intoxicated and killed his passenger, a 16-year-old friend.

A judge presiding over Allred's case sentenced him to attend church every Sunday for the next 10 years. In addition to church attendance Allred must graduate from high school and take drug and alcohol test for the next year.

The teen's attorney does not plan to challenge the sentence

Ok so.. the kid drives drunk, kills his 16 year old friend and then gets sentenced to 10 years at church!?! the family must be choked! What does him going to church every sunday for the next 10 years change? Is that enough punishment? Also has to pass high school... this is a shame for the legal system in the states!

And of course, his attorney isn't going to try and change the sentence.. its probably the best 'win' he's ever had! No jail time, just church time! As a side note, to me it would be like going to jail attending church every sunday (lol) BUT, the fact is millions of americans go to church every sunday and many of them still commit crimes, ALL the TIME, including drunk driving and manslaughter!!! Going to church doesn't stop you from committing crimes!

Is this sentence a form of 'rehab'? Is his attendence going to fix his problems? Then again, is going to jail going to do the same thing? To me, it just sets a precedent that you can kill someone due to your complete and total negligence and then get a small slap on the wrist.... its insane IMO

Thoughts?!!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Well look at the state we are talking about here....

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Forcing ones belief should be against the law.

Let him do his time in jail.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

I can only hope the State's Attorney General conducts an investigation into any impropriety that might be going on between the Judge, the District Attorney, and the family in question.

Because this is just nonsense.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
My guess is the victims family may have been the one's to agree to this in the first place. It's quite possible the families were long time friends. You can't bring back the victim but instead lets heal...together thru God. That may been their thoughts.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Technically its legal because they arent contesting it.

This kid got off easy actually. Prisons are overflowing anyway.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Talk about the kid-glove treatment.
Sentenced to Church and a High School diploma for manslaughter and drunk driving?

Well considering that Blacks and other minorities are 45-50% more likely to be incarcerated as compared to their White counterparts for the same violations/crimes...I'm guessing this is not a minority teenager.

I don't even have to open the link.

He's lucky because 58% of Black youths are sent to adult prisons.

- Lee

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Actually since this system is founded on the principle of consent, when no one involved challenges a legal arbitrators decision, it is considered legal.

You and I can debate all day, but it doesnt matter because its not really our business as we arent involved in the proceedings themselves.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
When you take part in a legal trial, you agree explicitly, even if you dont realize, to honor the courts decisions, abide by its authority, as you have technically entered their jurisdiction.

If you contest the decision, the proper way is to file an appeal and begin that process.

Thats how it works and no rule directly prohibits such a multilateral agreement.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
That falls under Cruel and Unusual Punishment, IMO.

He'll probably end up more screwed up than he already is.

Personally, i'd go with jail time and permanent license revocation.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Newagekid2012

Hopefully they secede.

Pretty soon their churches are going to be full of murderers and rapists

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Does it specify which denomination ?

If not, than ' church ' means any tax exempt organizaton falling within that criteria.
So basically he could pick any religion as long as he attends once a week or whatever the specifics outline.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This event is a step in the right direction imo because we need to reserve prison for violent offenders who are out of control. Lets be reasonable folks.

A major problem in the world is that everyone wants to tell everyone else how to live.
They believe intervening in anothers culture forcefully is a solution rather than follow the old adage of ' live and let live'.

No ones liberty is trampled, even the victims agree with such an outcome.

This is that ultra rare case where tragedy brought people together rather than tearing them apart.

I think any church no matter how corrupt, any religion no matter how silly or nonsensical, which also has legal church status; is a viable and rehabilitative alternative to the most corrupt institution Earth has ever known, the prison system. Prison is certainly going to open him to becoming a hardened criminal reject.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Yes let's look at the state. Low unemployment, low cost of living, a state govt that has a surplus not debt, gas is below $3.00 a gallon, relatively low utilities, low crime ( although OKC has a few areas you do NOT want to be in....) a new 3-4 bed room house between 1800 and 2000 sq feet will cost around $150,000 (give or take). A decent apartment can be found for $650 or so a monthLooking at doing away with state income tax, biotech and energy jobs abound....

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Sounds like a Medieval punishment of sorts?

I guess I would take that option too though, not like you have pay attention or anything.

Little amen here, little thank Jesus there, on my way thank you very much have a nice day.

Why not just make him serve the homeless for a month? What good is Church?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

Originally posted by Newagekid2012

Hopefully they secede.

Pretty soon their churches are going to be full of murderers and rapists

Please clean up your act sir. We live in civil society, and we will be civil to prove it.

Ostracizing a teenager over a real accident whereby they lost their best friend as a result of their own negligence, is cruel and unjust. It is overkill.

Throwing this traumatized guilt ridden teen in with murderers and rapists? That is sick.
Please reflect on your emotionally driven knee jerk response, note the mishap, and make corrections where necessary.

edit on 21-11-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I don't doubt you.

But it still bugs the crap out of me, this is not justice.
I think at the very least, a whole lot of community service should be in order.

Maybe go to other schools and tell his story. Of how he killed his good friend. Maybe scare some kids out of doing similar stupid things.
edit on 21-11-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

I don't doubt you.

But it still bugs the crap out of me, this is not justice.

Who is being wronged by this?
Surely not you or I....

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

The kid who was killed.

I'm not saying he should be locked up with the key being thrown away.
But church is not a fitting punishment for killing someone through negligence

I was adding some other punishments to my previous post while you were replying to it.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

The deceased victims kin represented him.

Do you disagree with this most ancient practice accepted by cultures globally?

If you do protest , who should represent the deceased and speak on their behalf? You?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join