It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Picture of Girl Flipping Off Unknown Soldier Tomb Goes Viral

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Where's the 'unknown soldiers tomb'?

Looks like she's standing beside a sign around an entrance area, and making a joke about that sign, not a dead soldier.

Poor timing for making a joke but hey...most of the people attacking her on this site are the same people likely to claim the government is trying to destroy free speech.

How many were defending the right to free speech of that woman who called the President the n-word and said she hopes he gets assassinated?

Hypocrisy is a great luxury.

- Lee

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Stupid is as Stupid does. I hope she learns a very hard lesson for being stupid.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I think that is a completely different argument and has nothing to do with free-expression.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
Where's the 'unknown soldiers tomb'?

Looks like she's standing beside a sign around an entrance area, and making a joke about that sign, not a dead soldier.

Poor timing for making a joke but hey...most of the people attacking her on this site are the same people likely to claim the government is trying to destroy free speech.

How many were defending the right to free speech of that woman who called the President the n-word and said she hopes he gets assassinated?

Hypocrisy is a great luxury.

- Lee

that sign is right infront of the tomb, shes looking right at the tomb in the picture.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by clearmind

I totally agree with you. Everyone saying it's her freedom of speech and she shouldn't have to deal with this the rest of her life is saying that I can't exercise my own rights and freedom to not respect her at all.

Is it fair for her? I don't know. Frankly I don't really care. It's my right and everyone else's right to do what they wish in this case.

Was it stupid? Yes. Did she do it during a job sponsored trip to the capital? Yes. Should she lose her job because of it? I certainly hope so.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

She's posing beside a sign and doing the opposite of what it says.
Clearly that's the joke she was making not that she is randomly flipping off a 'tomb'.

Poor taste? Yeah.
Evil? Hardly.

- Lee

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Why is that she has the right of free expression, but her employer does not have the same right to express how he feels?

The employer does have that right. But firing someone because of their own actions or expressions OUTSIDE OF WORK is just as wrong.

Should I have to worry about being canned if I hold different beliefs than my boss? Should we conduct ourselves in our personal life in a way that is acceptable to our employers?

In my opinion, that is tyrannical.
edit on 21-11-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

Except for the part where it wasn't outside of work. She works at an assisted living home. The foundation she works for sent her and the home's patients to Arlington on a daytrip. She was on the job at the time. Read the story next time.

I apologize as I did not see that. With that in mind, I can see why the employer would fire her. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by davcwebb
This girl's name is LINDSAY STONE. This is a picture of her disgracing an Unknown Soldier's Tomb at Arlington Cemetary:

She put this picture on her Facebook page thinking it was a joke. It's gone viral and now she in a heap of you know what (deservingly so). She's just about lost her job and her Dad is out front confronting the media.

This was an outrage. Regardless if you're anti-war or not, this is just wrong!

Video

Rebuttle Article

edit on 11/21/12 by davcwebb because: (no reason given)

A bunch of ff'in drama queens if you ask me.

omg ,someone on the internet made a joke in bad taste ,Quick, send them to Guantanamo bay and vilify them in the media.

And she lost her job over this , hey lets all play moral soldier and pretend to be holier then holiest and jump on the bandwagon and have a party with it. It doesn't matter if we ruin her life over this just because we blow shi* out of proportion.

You know what, lets bully her on facebook and stuff for the rest of her life until she kills herself.

fun fun fun...

Ridiculous

edit on 21-11-2012 by Rubic0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
i cannot be arsed to address individual opinions by different posters - but as " she should be sacked " is the opinion of a number of people

here is my opinions on that issue :

yes her employer has every right to disagree with her views / actions and freely express thier own counter opinion

but does not have the right to sack her - for that pic

bevcause , it does not " bring tthe emplyer into disrepute " as it occured OFF the premises , the target of her disrespect had no link to the employer or thier bussiness

as an example - if she posted a picture that identified the home - that showed here being disrespectful to a patient @ the home - thjat would be grounds to sack her

understand the difference yet

you cannot sack someone for an opinion you disagree with - unless it directly impacts your business

she works in a care home - it does not say weather the carees are geriatric or disabled

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

but does not have the right to sack her - for that pic

bevcause , it does not " bring tthe emplyer into disrepute " as it occured OFF the premises , the target of her disrespect had no link to the employer or thier bussiness

as an example - if she posted a picture that identified the home - that showed here being disrespectful to a patient @ the home - thjat would be grounds to sack her

Yeah, it happened off company premises, but ON company time. She was supervising a daytrip for the occupants of the assisted living home, as, you know, part of her job. They would be very much within their rights to terminate their employment.
edit on 013030p://21111 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Its a two way street. Like I've said, she has a total right to act like as big a jerk as she wants to. Others have a total right not to want her to be associated with them.

If you want to get mad, get mad at social media.

Lets say its 20 years ago and I do something stupid and look like a total jerk. I know about, whoever witnesses it knows about it even if someone gets a photo the chances of word of my actions making outside of a circle of a few people are very small.

Now, lets say I do something stupid, act like a jerk and someone posts a picture online about it. Now the world knows.

Its a change in the world we live in.

Its not tyranny. She can go out and do it again every day for the rest of her life is she wants to. She has that right. But, people are going to think she is a jerk and a company might think having her as employee would be bad for business and fire her. They have that right.

Sure you can disagree with your boss all day long. Sure your boss can fire you if you do something that will make the company look bad. For example, having an Obama sign in your yard if your boss liked Romney. You aren't going to get fired for that. A vid surfaces on the net of you screaming profanity at a grandma who has a Romney sign in her yard may get you fired.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
that sign is right infront of the tomb, shes looking right at the tomb in the picture.

Just to point out, those signs are movable.
They are at the entrance to the cemetery to remind you of respect for the ENTIRE area, not just one tomb.

You can tell she is at the entrance because she is right by the staircase leading into the cemetery.

I don't live far from Arlington. Like maybe 15-20 minutes. I'm 5 minutes from a similar military cemetery.

They don't have those signs in front of EVERY grave.
That would certainly be a whole lot of signs, don't you think?

She's mocking the rules on the sign, not an 'unknown soldier'.

- Lee

edit on 21-11-2012 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-11-2012 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
While the America I hear about everyday and am shocked by, the theft of American trades, government operations that kill innocents then try to call it "undercover" work.

The Tomb is a place where a man/woman lies that is waiting their turn to go home and be put to rest. The symbolism is the reason. We will leave no one behind. It's a duty that marines compete for and is considered an honor to protect this Tomb.

This defiant person opted to desecrate that site with selfish disregard. I believe one year community service in park maintence would be a great lesson.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This was a display of poor judgment on this girls part i thought the whole thing was very disrespectful at her age she should definitely know better...

I felt the whole thing was disgusting and insulting to those lives that made ours safe. This error belongs to her and she has to pay a price for that bad choice...[You reap what you sow] peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
To all you poor diluted military loving saps -

Screw the Unknown Soldier and Bravo for this girl !!

If your in a war by choice fighting for a cause and you die you will want people to remember that cause, Not YOU. This tomb says nothing about those causes, it's simply there so people can get emotional about honoring the fallen soldiers. Big Whoop. The men died for something other than themselves - They would not want this tomb - you guys cant see past your own propaganda - Think about it slick.

If these men died for the cause of fighting in an army for a government say the U.S. Government then If enlisted, you deserve to be forgotten because you were stupid for throwing your life away ( with the exception of the only TWO wars in US History that were justified - the Revolutionary War and WWII). If you were drafted it still does not matter because it's the CAUSE that mattered and again, not the soldiers themselves - Real soldiers get it. Real soldiers know what they are fighting for and it's not to be memorialized by the people who live on while the cause is forgotten. This tomb brings SHAME to those men who fought and died.

We should not have a tomb for unknown soldiers, we should commemorate those causes these men died for. Many of those soldiers were " on the wrong side" of the official US company line - they would rather those causes be forgotten. Your all puppets with masters pulling your strings either way.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Poor judgement, but generally there they have the right to be stupid.

For those of you saying this is a monument to all fallen soldiers everywhere, get off that. It is not. This is an American Monument. Just because it is American doesn't make it world important. But generally speaking I don't believe you should disrespect the dead, or their suffering.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by boncho

I think that is a completely different argument and has nothing to do with free-expression.

Some would argue the same though. So take a police that is racist. Should he be representing the police force? If you were a minority and a local officer said all ethnics are guilty of crimes... etc, etc.

Maybe my first example was too extreme.

Would you agree with a police force firing an officer of racial biased comments he/she made publicly?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This kinds of reminds of something that happened years ago. A guy was on the capitol steps burning a flag and another guy walked up and knocked him out.

When asked why he did it..."He was expressing his freedom of speech by burning the flag and I was expressing my freedom of speech and my right to defend the flag by knocking him out for doing it"...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by davcwebb

This Hero died defending your right to express yourself. You ingrate.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
When asked why he did it..."He was expressing his freedom of speech by burning the flag and I was expressing my freedom of speech and my right to defend the flag by knocking him out for doing it"...

You don't have the freedom to assault another person with impunity.
So that story would end with one of them being arrested, and paying for some medical bills.

- Lee

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join