It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Money As The Root Of All Evil, BUT, Is It Just Another Addiction - A Drug?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Is Money Just Another Drug?

I posted rather scathingly and disparagingly yesterday on the ill effects of psychoanalysis on the general population and the deleterious effects of the psychology that was borne of the so-called 'medical scholarship' of one "Sigmund Freud" see here

Quote Valedictorian: "Psychoanalysis and the entire therapeutic profession as founded and implemented by the followers of master Mason and Zionist Sigmund Freud, is a fraudulent Zionist MKUltra mind-control and brain-washing set-up."

But after reading the referenced article (above) I realized that I must concede somewhat to the professionals who work specifically in the field of 'addiction.' As a person well versed in the negative power of addiction(s) I must confess here a willingness to relent in my criticism and allow for the psychological community to properly weigh in on this particular subject without encountering my caustic appraisal of their work as to the manner of its ill effect (I think) on culture generally and on western civilization (society) in particular.

Merriam-Webster’s definition of addiction is: “compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly: persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful.”

A few selected paragraphs:

“As addicts progress (or rather, regress) into their addiction, to derive sufficient gratification they must constantly seek more and more of their drug of choice. For “more” is the keyword of addiction. It doesn’t matter whether they’re addicted to a substance, relationship, or activity—the “ante” for getting enough of the object of their craving must continually be raised.”

“But of all the things one might be addicted to, nothing tops the greed-laden pursuit of wealth in its audacity, manipulativeness, and gross insensitivity to the needs and feelings of others. Not to mention its extreme, short-sighted, irresponsible covetousness. Ask a multi-millionaire or billionaire so afflicted (if you can find one willing to talk to you!), and you’ll discover that their “mega-fortune quest” really has no end point. They won’t be able to name the definitive “millionth” or “billionth” that, finally, will do it for them. They can’t because the means by which they reap their riches has itself become the end.”

edit on 21-11-2012 by Valedictorian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Well. *coughs*
I'm glad I didn't read your disparaging rail against those of us in the "helping" profession....
or I'd not likely have read this thread. But, this thread points out EXACTLY what addiction is like, and yes, the accumulation of "stuff" is an addiction.

Just watch the show "Hoarders" and you'll see down-right ill people, who don't know how they got there, or how to get out of it. They are obviously miserable, and their behavior is a screaming signal of their "dis-ease" to the rest of the world.

Addiction affects entire families. I used to give presentations and workshops about the cycle and the roles that individuals play in the system that enables the addict to continue. He has a "propping up" partner, and if there are kids, they play various "roles" such as the mascot, the clown, the invisible child, the scapegoat, and the hero.

If there is only one child, or two or three, they juggle these roles between themselves or take them on solely...

And the main character, the addict, sees none of it; their eyes are always on the "object" of the addiction.

Behavioral science has come a LONG WAY since Freud.

anyway s/f for retracting your attack -- I'm glad I didn't see it.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I just went to your link, and it linked to another article Greed: The Ultimate Addiction in Psychology Today.

It’s been said that “you never get enough of what you don’t really want.” With people addicted to pursuing wealth, their overwhelming, insatiable passion isn’t about getting rich—but richer...and still richer.

And it’s unquestionable that this is not a virtuous cycle but a markedly vicious one. Ultimately, their heart’s desire—tragically unknown to them—isn’t for wealth at all, but for love, emotional intimacy, unconditional acceptance (and self-acceptance), and “rich,” satisfying relationships. Regardless of how obscenely wealthy they may become, these are all things that, alas, cannot be purchased with money.

The final debacle of their pursuit isn’t simply that their monetary accomplishments can’t ever bring them the lasting happiness and peace of mind they secretly crave. It’s that their futile quest generally causes all sorts of misfortune to others...As well as to our environment (which they blithely ignore), and to our nation—whose misregulated capitalistic system regrettably supports their ceaseless avaricious ventures.

I expect the "you're just jealous" mob will be here any minute to tell me how jealous and lazy I am.

I have known wealthy people, who rubbed elbows and hob-nobbed with even wealthier people; I was privileged to hear some of their anecdotes and gossip. While there are, of course, very successful people who are not neurotic, unfulfilled messes, for every one of those there are two who are living very strange lives full of intrigue, antisocial behaviors, and counterproductive styles that belie their "well-being."

I'm not jealous of the ostentatious rich, so that should preclude anyone calling me a whining loser....
(it should, but that doesn't mean it will...)

This really is science, folks, and the more we learn about the brain, it's chemicals, and the REAL needs of human beings, coping strategies like addiction will continue. Addictions are crutches.

edit on 21-11-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Hi Op, good topic.

It is true that anything can become an addiction.

And I just wanted to clarify, because I used to say the same as your title...Money is not the root of all evil, instead it's the Love of money that is the root of all evil...

So like what do some people worship in a sense?

Money...they love it.... Some people...sex....others....alcohol...cars...bike riding...golf...fishing...killing...see where I'm going with this? We all have something that we love more than anything.

What do you love?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Absolutely we are addicted to stuff. Money is just the way to "shoot up" though. Its the vehicle for our addiction to move through.

When we bartered, you couldn't really horde things, as you only were able to barter that which you had for items you needed for your prosperity. Money was a control scheme, now its an addiction, and with each financial crisis, we come closer and closer to rock bottom. Rock bottom being a global financial collapse.

Soon the money will be worthless and we will move onto some other form of trade and way to acquire goods. Its just basic evolution. Things do not stay the same as they tend to stagnate, stagnation further leads to change.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springheel Jack
Hi Op, good topic.

It is true that anything can become an addiction.
And I just wanted to clarify, because I used to say the same as your title...Money is not the root of all evil, instead it's the Love of money that is the root of all evil...
So like what do some people worship in a sense?
Money...they love it.... Some people...sex....others....alcohol...cars...bike riding...golf...fishing...killing...see where I'm going with this? We all have something that we love more than anything.
What do you love?

Its been said that addicts move from one addiction to another regardless of whether or not a healing had taken place at the 'previous location' of an addiction from which one might have recently recovered. I am presently addicted to knowledge - more specifically though - of the pursuit of knowing more and more i.e., far more that is necessary to a balanced and productive life. Not in the traditional sense of learning but more in the "Internet" sense of parallel knowing or alternative methods of learning about things that I thought I already knew about - but really didn't.

In short my new addiction is the INTERNET. But I am more interested in this idea of addiction to money, because most who are seriously involved with "filthy lucre" have no idea of its addictive power over them and their lives. "
I do not seem to suffer from it myself and that's not because I am not rich - I think its because I saw the dangers of it early on in my life. I have plenty of money btw - all that I need - so in that sense one could say that I was rich: rich being a relative term of course.

Definition: filthy lucre - shameful profit; "he would sell his soul for filthy lucre."

lu·cre/ˈlo͞okər/ Noun: Money, pronunciation pronunciation when regarded as sordid or distasteful or gained in a dishonorable way.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Good post

@springheeljack: "And I just wanted to clarify, because I used to say the same as your title...Money is not the root of all evil, instead it's the Love of money that is the root of all evil... "

Hahaha, I was going to say the same thing, kind of a pet peeve of mine, lol.

Also, it reminded me of a quote I saw, which I can't find now, but is something like this:

"When people collect junk, when people collect animals, when people collect all kind of things, far beyond any rational necessity, which comes to affect them in a negative fashion, we (our society) see them as hoarders; we observe them with scorn, or with pity, as people with a sickness they need help with.
But when people collect money, more than they could ever reasonably need or even use, we see them as a success , we admire them and strive to be like them."
edit on 21-11-2012 by curiouscanadian777 because: add comment

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
Absolutely we are addicted to stuff. Money is just the way to "shoot up" though. Its the vehicle for our addiction to Money was a control scheme, now its an addiction, and with each financial crisis, we come closer and closer to rock bottom. Rock bottom being a global financial collapse.

Rock Bottom - interesting choice of terms there because for most addicts to even begin to think about sobriety and/or recovery they often (not always) must first hit 'bottom.' Hitting rock bottom is a standard phrase in most recovery programs that have stemmed from AA.

There is Gamblers Anonymous - how-about "Lucre Anonymous" !

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Valedictorian

Its not even funny how addicted I am to the internet. I am a flow blown internet addict. Which leads to being a news addict and information junkie. However, it is ultimately money which fuels this addiction. No money, equals not being able to pay internet bill, which means no internet. However, I personally should have the willpower and mindset to not allow myself to be an internet junkie as I can see and acknowledge it is dampening my life.

There in lies the fickle matter of addiction, knowing you are addicted is not enough. Something needs to break, snap for a person to realize its time to change their ways. Rock bottom is one way, a family confrontation may rattle some people out.

I hope to lose my money in a pyramid scheme and lose this blasted internet....

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I an not trying to be funny or sarcastic but if money is the root of all evil, what is the root of all money?

If I or we can figure that out then maybe we can combat the problem more effectively.

new topics

top topics

join