It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs 70 BILLION DOLLAR pledge to Israel

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

The bill, which underscores the United States’ special relationship with the Middle Eastern country, also offers $70 million in funding for Israel’s missile defense system dubbed Iron Dome.

Obama signs 70 BILLION DOLLAR pledge to Israel and my jaw drops in amazement , but the media only says 70 million, so what about the people of Palestine, or more to the point what about america, were all having our lifes turn upside down for the worse, and Israel gets a nice lump of cash to carry on there oppression.

thehill.com...

www.aljazeera.com...

articles.nydailynews.com...

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
And you wonder why your nation is broke? They are bankrupting it infront of you all, syphoning out every last cent and everyone just sits there and goes....."Duh! Ok Mr President!"......

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I'm still amazed anyone thinks Obama is a great speaker, uh, he's, uhhhhh, not.

I almost wonder if that little uh tic is some sort of mind f-ery. It's almost hypnotic.

At any rate, presidents can screw up even when attempting to correct a screw up. I personally think giving Israel 70 million is far too much even though I don't despise them like the rest of the site.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Israel recieves a little over 3 billion per year in aid from the US currently. www.fas.org...

Your story results from Obama misspeaking about that 70 million dollar appropriation that you tabled.

Your thread title is false.

ETA: While I think US foreign aid should be cut at least in half, and some of what Israel gets should be specifically for Palestinian refugees, it's worth noting that without the "iron dome" death tolls in the current conflict would be significantly higher on the Israeli side.
edit on 11/21/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by snapperski

A few things to consider...

This is a pledge only.

The links are dated July 2012.

... and correct if I am wrong, the articles provided clearly states 70 million - not billion.

From your OP

Obama signs 70 BILLION DOLLAR pledge to Israel

TextObama signs 70 BILLION DOLLAR pledge to Israel and my jaw drops in amazement , but the media only says 70 million, so what about the people of Palestine, or more to the point what about america, were all having our lifes turn upside down for the worse, and Israel gets a nice lump of cash to carry on there oppression.

From links provided

Obama added that the administration has committed an additional $70 million to the Iron Dome program.

US President Barack Obama will release an additional $70m in military aid for Israel

also offers $70 million in funding for Israel’s missile defense system dubbed Iron Dome.

edit on 21-11-2012 by Perhaps because: add

edit on 21-11-2012 by Perhaps because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

$70 BILLION to a nation that does absolutely NOTHING FOR US as Americans buy their Thanksgiving turkey with FOOD STAMPS!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

WE DON'T HAVE 70 BILLION TO GIVE ANYONE, MUCH LESS ISRAEL

This is ridiculous and asinine!!!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
First and foremost, as a US citizen we shouldn't be sending any money to any other countries until/unless the budget is balanced and the defecit paid off. Not one dime. Secondly, it's 70 million, not billion. The thread is flat out wrong as it is based on Obama having a slip of the tongue.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by HabiruThorstein
First and foremost, as a US citizen we shouldn't be sending any money to any other countries until/unless the budget is balanced and the defecit paid off. Not one dime. Secondly, it's 70 million, not billion. The thread is flat out wrong as it is based on Obama having a slip of the tongue.

It doesn't even matter. We send billions to Israel every year anyway. The foreign aid, all of it, to every country, needs to STOP! NOW! We can't even take care of our own. I can give 2 damns about what happens to Israel or anyone in the middle east!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by shelookslikeone

It doesn't even matter. We send billions to Israel every year anyway. The foreign aid, all of it, to every country, needs to STOP! NOW! We can't even take care of our own. I can give 2 damns about what happens to Israel or anyone in the middle east!

70 million is 70 million too much, 70 billion is 1000X more too much more than 70 million. Inflating the number by 1000 makes the thread factually inaccurate, by 3 orders of magnitude.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but, in the video I see he FIRST says 70 million, then corrects himself to 70 billion.
Am I missing something?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
Correct me if I'm wrong but, in the video I see he FIRST says 70 million, then corrects himself to 70 billion.
Am I missing something?

Million is accurate, not billion, here's a link, there's dozens more all reporting as million with an 'm'. Still $70 million more than we can afford.

www.timesofisrael.com...
edit on 21-11-2012 by HabiruThorstein because: grammar

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
War is money. War is fun.

The elite want world war 3 and this is how they make it happen.

i wonder what all that money will be used for now; war anyone ?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
$70 million would not be unprecedented. The figure in the past has been in the billions.
I suspect the $70 billion is correct.

He states this new level of support for poor, little Israel, is UNPRECEDENTED.

I should say.
It's too early in the morning for this level of nausea and not be pregnant.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Am I missing something?

Million is accurate, not billion, here's a link, there's dozens more all reporting as million with an 'm'. Still $70 million more than we can afford.

www.timesofisrael.com...

My point is, who do we believe?
Main Stream Media, or the words from the mouth of the "Man" himself?

Both are chronic liars, but he said Million, then corrected it to Billion.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

I agree. It seems the Israel Times article is to spin.
I feel sure that there must have been some discussion about the "announced" funding and the "real" funding numbers.
Only the CBO knows for sure, and of course, the Shepherds in Congress overseeing this legislation.

Also:
Did that not seem like subliminal speech to use that word to describe the members of congress who
made sure this got passed? Shepherds in connection to Israel.?

It's like SOP for Congress to say one thing and do another.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Nah, it's 70 million. Our entire foreign aid budget is 50 billion. Look at the guy, he looks exhausted. I sort of feel sorry for him, probably never sleeps. He misspoke.

United States-Israel enhanced cooperation act

from the legislation:

Authorizing the Department of Defense to expand its forward-deployed weapons stockpile in Israel by $400 million over the next two years. The United States previously permitted Israel to use this stockpile during the 2006 war with Hizballah. The stockpile is available to the U.S. armed forces whenever needed to meet American requirements.

from www.whitehouse.gov...:

Despite tough fiscal times, the President fought for and secured full funding for Israel in FY 2012, including $3 billion in Foreign Military Financing – the largest amount of funding for Israel in U.S. history.

The President secured an additional $205 million in FY 2011 to help produce an Israeli-developed short-range rocket defense system called Iron Dome, which has helped defend Israeli communities against rocket attacks by successfully striking rockets as they are fired at Israeli civilians.

In July 2012, President Obama provided an additional $70 million to Israel to ensure that Israel could maximize its production of the Iron Dome system for 2012. Over the next three years, the Administration intends to request additional funding for Iron Dome, based on an annual assessment of Israeli security requirements against an evolving threat.

There is no disputing it, 70 billion was never pledged. It was a bill passed by congress.
edit on 11/21/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: reformat

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Am I missing something?

www.timesofisrael.com...

My point is, who do we believe?
Main Stream Media, or the words from the mouth of the "Man" himself?

Both are chronic liars, but he said Million, then corrected it to Billion.

Here's one more, you can look up the literally dozens of others yourself if you wish, or keep clinging to Obama's teleprompter having a typo in it, suit yourself.

www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
To me, the whole speach sounded exactly like what I heard last time I bought a car. I remember zoning out into a dream state when he started talking, then I snapped out of it when he mentioned a number. "70 what? wait, what?"

But as you said: He specified that it was unprecedented.

70 Million is not unprecedented. I doubt 70 billion is either, but it sounds closer to the mark.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

It was unprecedented, the total aid tabled for Israel in the budget was the highest it's ever been.

Refer to the quote in my last post.

Trying to make the argument that 70 billion was pledged to Israel goes against all evidence, and is frankly a little ridiculous.

Maybe if the pledge was over a 20 year period....

But once again, to repeat for the third time, he misspoke. End of story, sorry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join