It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is God?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
please describe in the best terms you can come up with what God is. or better yet what God is not.
I'll start God is not cruel.
God is just.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
god is the belief that as individuals we mean something more than the spontaneous thoughts that occur in our heads. god is the belief that we are not random.

thus, god is a con.

(edit knowledge for belief)

edit on 21-11-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
God is a made up fairy tail just like Santa and the tooth fairy. When humanity 'grows up' someone will tell us the truth. Just like our parents did with Santa. Some may cry or be upset and some may think ' hmmm just what I suspected' and carry on with their lives. IMO

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
John1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

We will never comprehend God's existence.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The bible was written by a brilliant author who had a vision.

Unfortunately for most, they took his work of fiction literally. Now most are shackled in this belief that they must obey and follow set of rules and instructions, only to break them at every chance they get, only to return and ask to be forgiven so that they can go right back out and repeat the cycle. Funny how addictions work.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

(a+b^n)/n = x

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
my opinion only

ancients didn't know today we'd be using the term alien or one with beyond human power
so they decide they should be called god

angels
my opinion too
ancients didn't know today we'd be using the term ufo
so they chose to call them angels

i guess back in the day we had some interaction that is noted to be pleasant
not so sure today
if they'd be happy with whose taken over dwelling here though

i know there's religious interjection but i hope to erase as much religion from my mind as possible
science and growing up to not need invisible friends seems to work better "ear to ear" for me

edit on 21-11-2012 by lasvegasteddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
A redundant answer to the gaps in our knowledge a long time ago.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
please describe in the best terms you can come up with what God is. or better yet what God is not.
I'll start God is not cruel.
God is just.

A made up fictitious character that a few clever men invented to keep the masses under control.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
God is simply the human races anthropomorphism of the universe. It's a pervasive part of our psyche. We project onto everything from from pet rocks to dogs.

IRM

edit on 21/11/12 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Allah(God) knows hidden matters and is aware of inner feelings. He encompasses everything. He has control over everything and power over everything. -(86)

Praise be to Allah(God) Who is Manifest before His creation because of themselves. Who is apparent to their hearts because of clear proof; Who created without meditating, since meditating does not befit except one who has thinking organs while He has no thinking organ in Himself. His knowledge has split forth the inside of unknown secrets and covered the bottom of deep beliefs. -(108)

Everything submits to Him and everything exists by Him. He is the satisfaction of every poor, dignity of the low, energy for the weak and shelter for the oppressed. Whoever speaks, He hears his speaking, and whoever keeps quiet, He knows his secret. On Him is the livelihood of everyone who lives, and to Him returns whoever dies. -(109)
Do you feel when the Angel of Death enters a house, or do you see him when he takes out life of anyone? How does he take out the life of an embryo in the womb of his mother? Does he reach it through any part of her body or the spirit responded to his call with the permission of Allah? Or does he stay with him in the mother's interior? How can he who is unable to describe a creature like this, describe Allah(God)? (112)

Praise be to Allah(God) who is proof of His existence through His creation, of His being external through the newness of His creation, and through their mutual similarities of the fact that nothing is similar to Him. Senses cannot touch Him and curtains cannot veil Him, because of the difference between the Maker and the made, the Limiter and the limited and the Sustainer and the sustained.

He is One but not by the first in counting, is Creator but not through activity or labour, is Hearer but not by means of any physical organ, is Looker but not by a stretching of eyelids, is Witness but not by nearness, is Distinct but not by measurement of distance, is Manifest but not by seeing and is Hidden but not by subtlety (of body). He is Distinct from things because He overpowers them and exercises might over them, while things are distinct from Him because of their subjugation to Him and their turning towards Him.

He who describes Him limits Him. He who limits Him numbers Him. He who numbers Him rejects His eternity. He who said "how" sought a description for Him. He who said "where" bounded him. He is the Knower even though there be nothing to be known. He is the Sustainer even though there be nothing to be sustained. He is the Powerful even though there be nothing to be overpowered. (152)

Ali ibn Abu Talib
www.imamalinet.net...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’

29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.”

AND

1 Colossians 1: 15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Involution and Evolution

AND

Eyes Wide Open
edit on 21-11-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

you said that we were offspring and son or sons of God, this makes a misunderstanding does God marry and need sex and to bear a child ! I think you did not mean that did you !?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
What God is:
Biblically speaking, God is a spirit. John 4:24

24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.

What God is not:
God is not real. At least in the sense that humans ascribe to a god. It's possible there could be an uber-intelligent lifeform out there beyond our comprehension, but that doesn't make it a god. It just makes it a lot smarter than we are.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

What is God?

The better question is...

What isn't God?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

God is the Creator, God is the Existence, God is in us and through us, and we are in Him,

God bless

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by godlover25
reply to post by pellian

God is the Creator, God is the Existence, God is in us and through us, and we are in Him,

God bless

I totally agree. The All that exists, Brahman, One. All(ah) is one, reality conciousness, The nondualistc ONE. Many names same entity.

Religon sucks from my point of view since it is a very unspecific teachings to find god with to many views that are clearly in the way for the person to seek god. It is like choosing to ride a donkey to a faraway country with a guide that do not really know the specific road when you can take a plane and get there faster. But if you like to see the scenary and want to take the long road go ahead. If you seek human dogma/brainwashing/duality ego join a religion. If you seek god seek everywhere.
edit on 21-11-2012 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

But you must realize evil exists also and will try to pervert the truth of God. All is in God and through Him, however all is not of God...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
God is a word in a dictionary utilized to signify man's ignorance.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by maes2
reply to post by EnochWasRight

you said that we were offspring and son or sons of God, this makes a misunderstanding does God marry and need sex and to bear a child ! I think you did not mean that did you !?

Yout signature seems to be a clue. We are cut frome one loaf. Read 1 Corinthians 10.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join