It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous : Operation Freedom of Speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
What is Freedom of speech ? Who sets the line for whom to speak what ? Who is to decide what is offensive? Do you want to get arrested for posting your opinion ?

Recently, many people have been going against one of our human rights, Freedom of Speech is an important thing in our society, and it is being taken away from us. One of the main incidents of this is that Matthew Woods was arrested and prosecuted for posting a “grossly offensive joke” on Facebook. This joke was about the missing child April Jones. I for one think it is unacceptable that he was arrested for this. Who is to decide what is offensive? What one person finds offensive, another might think is perfectly acceptable! it is purely a matter of opinion, and do we really want to be arrested because of someone elses opinion?
A Tory MP is trying to sue 10,000 Twitter users for calling him a paedo. Is this what our government has come to? Suing because people called you a name? The Twitterers had probably seen the story on the news, so thought they had it right when they said it, this is no reason for legal action!

The time has come people, we must protest, we must protect our right to freedom of speech.

We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us.
#OpFoS

April Jones: Matthew Woods jailed for Facebook posts

Matthew Woods, 20, made a number of derogatory posts about April and missing Madeline McCann.
He appeared at Chorley Magistrates' Court where he admitted sending a grossly offensive public electronic communication.
Woods, of Eaves Lane, Chorley, was handed the maximum sentence.
Chairman of the bench, magistrate Bill Hudson, said his comments were so serious and "abhorrent" that he deserved the longest sentence they could pass, less a third to give credit for his early guilty plea.
Mark Bridger, 46, appeared before Aberystwyth magistrates earlier charged with April's murder.
He is also charged with child abduction and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The reason for the sentence is the seriousness of the offence, the public outrage that has been caused and we felt there was no other sentence this court could have passed which conveys to you the abhorrence that many in society feel this crime should receive

BBC

Its impossible to set the line for freedom of speech . Its the basic Human right .

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Well if things don't change, at some point we will have people arrested and thrown in prison for having different views of religions.

It may sound like a conspiracy fantasy, but I don't rule out anything as impossible. Mankind is still fighting over religions constructed thousands of years ago with nothing but faith.

I'm sure people called the Wright brothers crazy for wanting to soar the skies.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Picture of Matthew Woods who was arrested for making offensive comment on Facebook

Picture of missing five-year-old April Jones

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

Well if things don't change, at some point we will have people arrested and thrown in prison

Yep . All ATS members be ready to get arrested . This is the Beginning of The Brand new 1 world order .

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMarine
reply to post by cconn487

Well if things don't change, at some point we will have people arrested and thrown in prison

Yep . All ATS members be ready to get arrested . This is the Beginning of The Brand new 1 world order .

I don't think there will be a NWO. I mean, sure there could be a small fraction of the population who want to keep people divided and doing what they want them to do.

All throughout history there have been slaves and their masters. The funny thing is the slaves always win.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. At some point, maybe in my lifetime, maybe a thousand years from now, I'm sure at some time people will look back and wonder why we allowed it to continue as long as we did.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by UltraMarine

Offensive has nothing to do limits on freedom of speech. Freedom of speech allows you to provoke anger, feeling of joy, happiness, fear, hate, and anger. Where do people get this belief that if someone says something that hurts your feelings that is should be censored. We have become a country of pussies. What is the deal? Freedom of speech is what it is. If you do not like what you are hearing then leave the room. I can say things that are offensive to you, things that make you mad, things you do not want to hear, even language and four letter words. As long as I am not threatening physical harm to you, or slandering your good name then I can say anything I desire. You should review the trial of John Peter Zenger. That was the trial that brought us our 1 amendment rights. I will passionately defend my rights to have freedom of speech just as my Great Great Great Great Grandfather did John Peter Zenger. I might have one too many greats in there. Anyway thats my opinion unfortunately today it seems that many people want the government to be able to control every aspect of ones existence. I am just waiting for the official butt wiping laws to be past that will control the amount, type, and softness of the toilet tissue I use. Also, the legal manner in which I am allowed to wipe my butt. I truly feel that there would be an amazing number of people that would actually support that type of law government control on us. It never ends. People are giving away every freedom we have. All because of the desire to control, jealousy, and envy. It is a very sad situation. We seem to make it for 200 years without having a society out of control but now it seems that control being supervised and enforce by the federal government is desired by so many. We have all these immigrants coming to America for a better life, better jobs, but now they are voting in the same laws and controls that made the country they fled a disaster. What’s up with that?
edit on 21-11-2012 by rgzing because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-11-2012 by rgzing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

I agree because everyone else is also free to disregard what they say ... if they so choose!

Personal Disclosure: Choice has a prime quality all of its own, but also, unwarranted imposition is generally frowned upon!

Does anybody else concur?

edit on 21-11-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited vid link to a less confrontational and far more t&c compliant alternate.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Here are a bunch more examples being identified with this case.

During the Olympics a 17-year-old called Reece Messer sent two unkind tweets to Team GB diver Tom Daley, saying he'd let his recently-deceased father down by failing to get gold. Tom retweeted the comments to shame his troll into silence, and it caused a storm with people demanding Reece be barred from tweeting and picking fights with him. He responded by being even more offensive.

Targeted: Tom Daley was the subject of vile Tweets from a teenager with ADHD who appears to have revelled in his notoriety attention
Al Bello

It led to the police raiding Reece's flat, where he lived alone, at 2.45am and hauling him into custody. He was cautioned for harassment and bailed, and police were expected to look at thousands of other tweets on his account which, by and large, are all offensive to someone, somewhere.

I don't know what to say about these cases. While "trolling" can have an impact on people, throwing someone in jail is just not a comparison. And while some of the trolling that's been done really crosses the line of what's socially acceptable, at the end of the day you can turn your computer off, moderate the comment, or simply let it slide.

When you start locking people up for things they say, you start limiting what people say out of fear. I read comments on YT and newspapers daily that are directed at different races, types of people, etc, that are "abhorrent" in nature (as the judge in this case stated) but none the less, it's people expressing themselves. Not everyone can mediate their emotions, thoughts, etc.

Largely ignoring them, (if the intent is trolling) is usually a fitting judgement. Don't feed them, as they say...
edit on 21-11-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Is Freedom of Speech a right for only Americans, or for everyone who is human?

If it's for everyone, should we be as anxious to protect their right as we are our own?

Do we have a duty to insure this right is observed?

If so, what is the proposal for doing that?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

If so, what is the proposal for doing that?

In order to secure the freedom of speech , My proposal is Worldwide Movement or Protest . People should raise their voices and come forward .

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
It's irony that the folks responsible for taking down website, would create a project about freedom of speech.... maybe they have an skewed reality of what "Freedom of Speech" actually means.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
So you're invoking Anonymous to fight for freedom of speech after they hack twitter accounts taking away peoples freedom of speech because they didn't agree with what they said?

Intredasting...

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Intredasting...

Nice point

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Dear UltraMarine,

In order to secure the freedom of speech , My proposal is Worldwide Movement or Protest . People should raise their voices and come forward .
You'll be pleased to know that your proposal is being implemented, in Iran, of all places.

You may want to check this thread which was just started. www.abovetopsecret.com...

With respect,
Charles1952

top topics

join