It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Intelligent Thought Become A Lost Art at ATS ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

It was actually interesting to read a thread that did not make me feel like a little bit of my life fled away with nothing to show for it.

You must really hate red lights and Twain's crossing.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
It comes from the web, Wikipedia, forums, shared music, books and "Oh! PROOF! It was on YouTube...Twitter...or Facebook". (there-by it must be real)

Thats the new "realities'....why should the current generation think and have a real, honest "thought"?

All they have to do is "search for it"...except when they create a new thread and start by saying..."Mods? Please move this if its not in the right place".

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
It's only a reflection of the world really. The bigger ATS becomes, the more people that don't have an interest in really thinking will show up. A majority of people are so boring, they only regurgitate what they see on the idiotbox, or what they hear on the radio. Not many people know how to hold a real conversation anymore. Talking about reality television, and sports is boring as hell to me, I have no interest in crap like that. Probably why I enjoy coming here, there are some people here that make me think almost every time they post, even if I may not agree with their point of view or whatnot.
edit on Wed, 21 Nov 2012 16:31:21 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Oh man did you ever hit the nail on the head with this comment. First of all good topic OP it does seem a bit 'dim' in here these days..

Okay back to parrots, like in the quoted post i cannot stand when people bring up TV or movies in conversation as if it is something interesting to be shared with the world. I have a co-worker who watches 5 to 6 hours of tv a day give or take depending on the day, he has no idea about real world issues everything is Walking dead this family guy that. Don't get me wrong i like a good show as much as the next guy but it isn't what one talks about when in a conversation with people.

It's the constant mind bombing that is making everyone dull, TVs always on, mobile device in one hand, ipod in other hand, people never take a second and sit in total quiet and just listen to quite. That is when you have original thoughts or ideas, when its quite!

To anyone who doesn't believe me sit in a quite room or outside in a park or your back yard leave all your toys (phones, mp3s, pads) far away from where you are. Now just bring a pen and a note pad and sit there for 20 minutes, you don't have to write anything it's just in case you want to. Can you live with yourself for 20 minutes???

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

We live in a society of automatons. Don't expect here to be much different. There's all kinds of people here anyways. And forget original ideas. Even the most far-fetched philosophical concept you can think of, someone thought about it already. On the other end, nationalism, patriotism and any movement that ends in "ism" tends to foster conformity and preconceived ideas. I see that here a lot too. New agisms too. A little bit of "post-"the Secret"" self-help bull**rap.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sebHFX

That's so sad to think about, I really hope you're wrong about no one having an original thought. What about children? they think like we cannot even think to think...but I guess as they get older they turn into average Joes. Regardless I refuse to believe that all is lost, one man can spark an idea that changes the world. I have no idea who said that but it wasn't me I'm just using it.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Wongbeedman

Our basic understanding of the universe completely contradicts the story the bible tells.

How so?

If true, though that does NOT refer to the old testament. Only to the existence of a man called Jesus, and to historical events that occurred in the same are around the same time.

From my understanding, archaeological evidence hasn't been limited to only the time of Jesus, but includes the time of the Exodus out of Egypt. Plus, the Old Testament prophesied of events that would happen during the time of Jesus that was accounted for in the New Testament.

The fact the rest of the universe exists does that quite well.

And since we know the news testament was written first, that makes sense.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
my brain is constantly working. the question is, is it making any sense to anyone but me lol

for example, why is the dome of the rock built on an octagonal foundation? what was the architect implying.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Confucius he say 'there is no such thing as original thought'.

That people are more alike than they are different is the human trait Edward Bernays took full advantage of when he founded the public relations industry (using his Uncle Freud's techniques).

Over the years Bernays' techniques have been honed and refined. There was a blip for the industry in the 1960's with the hippie movement, the individuality movement and the anti-capitalists of that era....but they got over that. They realised if people wanted to be individuals they should cater for it - they created the fashion industry, the music industry etc. etc.

I do believe that the international conversation facilitated by the internet also caused the industry to tic - but with the advent of sites like Facebook and other social media they've now realised they don't have to bother with market research - we do it for them.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Plenty of intelligent thought HERE

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Ah, come on, that forum is completely useless and it is filled with unimportant and uninteresting premises, dead horse beating talking points, generic rebuttals , and the one that can smoothtalk the best wins.

If that is your example of intelligent thought on ATS, then that says a lot.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Is this just an error or did you really mean to say that?

How does the rest of the universe existing negate what the Bible says?

No, the New Testament was not written first. The books of the Old Testament were written first, most of which was available to the people of the time of Jesus. Meaning that if the people had read them, they would have known that the details of Jesus' birth, lineage, and what he was there to do and teach was already given to them.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Regardless of what ATS is becoming or has already become, try to find me another site where people can so openly discuss such a wide range of topics.

All this with the piece of mind, that even if people don't agree with what ever you decided to post, at least you wont get called every derogatory word in the book and be shot down at the same time.

With so many new members, comes the opportunity for so many more ideas to be thrown around for the better.

- If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation. What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death.

ATS

SS

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

actually...

the pureness of using logic on some subjects is completely non-existent ..

edit on 22-11-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Is this just an error or did you really mean to say that?

How does the rest of the universe existing negate what the Bible says?

No, the New Testament was not written first. The books of the Old Testament were written first, most of which was available to the people of the time of Jesus. Meaning that if the people had read them, they would have known that the details of Jesus' birth, lineage, and what he was there to do and teach was already given to them.

God created the heavens and the earth.
In those days, hell was underground, heaven was above the earth.
And the stars were stars, for some reason.
Nowhere does it say "god created the heavens and the earth, and Mars, and Venus, and Neptune."
Can you prove to me that the old testament came first? I doubt you can.
If it was available to people already at the time of Jesus, why did nobody read it?
Why then, was Jesus a Jew, and Christianity came about AFTER the teachings of Jesus.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to bow out of this conversation because your lack of understanding is obvious.

Dude, God created light including the stars and you do realize that stars, the sun and the moon all sit above the earth, not on the earth, right? This is what is meant by the word "heavens" in the Bible. This is all part of the universe.

Genesis 1:16

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

With this in mind, I can't even go on to answer your questions about the Jesus or the Bible. It would be pointless.

edit on 22-11-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to bow out of this conversation because your lack of understanding is obvious.

Dude, God created light including the stars and you do realize that stars, the sun and the moon all sit above the earth, not on the earth, right? This is what is meant by the word "heavens" in the Bible. This is all part of the universe.

Genesis 1:16

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

With this in mind, I can't even go on to answer your questions about the Jesus or the Bible. It would be pointless.

edit on 22-11-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

Still, no mention of the universe.
I won't even go into peoples opinions on the earth being flat at the times of Jesus.
You're right though, its pointless us arguing, we're both at opposite ends of the spectrum!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

To quote the late great George Carlin

- And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good BS story. Holy poop!

SS

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
and bankers take in way more and are not subject to the laws of the land as they are not prosecuted. And they fund the politicians who get elected and make laws for them to continue to do what religion was not able to.. Take over the world and still make you have to come to them to be able to live.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
OK. Here is where it breaks down for me...

Words. A written or spoken form of thought. A vehicle for one to convey a thought to another, or to maintain a thought for posterity, our progeny or the future.

At some point between self-awareness and death, while searching for our soul, we reach an epiphany. It becomes not enough to know that we existed, and we soon come to realize that we have failed ourselves, our Creator and our fellow man. In an effort to contribute to the fulfillment of future quests by men, like those we realize we have fell short of, we establish certain Truths. So that others may readily move forward beyond the thresholds of our own journeys, we determine to create our legacy.

Through much soul-searching and self-reflection, we also come to a realization that we are unique. We have a perspective that differs, whether slightly or with a monumental gap, from everyone we know. It is the self-defining moment when we aspire to identify and quantify, these differences.

When one attempts to construct one's own originality, we must access ancient knowledge and wisdom, for a basis. You can not build substance from nonentity. So, with this law established, we determine that information has ALWAYS existed, in some form. Throughout our lives, we have amassed, garnered and gleaned as much tried and tested information as we could. It is these ultimate Truths, that provided an absolutely solid foundation, for our assumed value. And from this Rock that our intuitive wisdom protrudes from, there are certain Truths that are evident. Things that we just KNOW to exist, even though they are near impossible to define or delineate with words. Just the English language alone, has so many multiple meanings for the same or similar words, that when we try to completely comprehend our own, or another person's thoughts, we are left with many decisions to make, for each and every statement! How can we possibly trust or believe in an idea, that may on the surface, have merit, while it's principle may have been lost in translation in the mind of the deliverer, before it even became a group of words?

This is why books, or a forum, such as this one, can NEVER be relied on, when attempting to dissect or disseminate, true meaning or original knowledge. Let alone determine if any of the information is even worth assembling into our "grand picture".

But, on the other hand, a great orator has the ability to capture one's imagination. Does this state of mind, completely preclude one from being objective whilst being bombarded with a cognitive-induced oblivion? And depending on the speaker, what perils would our psyche succumb to, while it is being detained?

It is my opinion, that we are comprised of this very ancient, eternal information. We are literally made of, the Truth. It's in our very fibers, and it's that little part of us that knows when we have encountered a fallacy; an illusion. And while we may not be able to elaborate on this, to the satisfaction of others, it is something that we are absolutely sure of.

To everyone reading this....Accept who you are, and know, that the power of the Truth, resides in all of us. It's this understanding that will ensure your one true birthright...your Salvation!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Everthing posted at ATS, even apparently meaningless pschobabble, are telltale bits of info that can, if one does one's own thinking, enlighten one to the current state of affairs in the world around us...

Emphasis on the phrase: "if one does ones own thinking"

perhaps the OP might find TV would be a better bet

eta
PS
Hi RDVs

edit on 22-11-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join