It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oak Island Mystery

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

I think you are giving Pirates a bad wrap. Pirates were often some of the most crafty and strategic thinkers on the seven seas.

But with the very nature of piracy if you were not smart and a very strategic thinker you wouldnt last long. The more famous pirates that had long careers were anything but stupid.

[edit on 22-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

I agree with you about the privateers. And I didn't mean pirates weren't cerebral. In fact, I have a couple of seafaring ancestors with suspicious voccations, and I'd like to believe they weren't stupid. I blame my taste for rum on them at any rate!

But all I know about pirates and privateers (which admittedly isn't extensive) suggests that they didn't have the time to construct those rigged tunnels. Weren't pirates always on the move? Do you think they had the time, the inclination and the patience to construct anything as intricate as the money pit?

AHA! I'm getting the hang of the quote thingie!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by hellbunny

But all I know about pirates and privateers (which admittedly isn't extensive) suggests that they didn't have the time to construct those rigged tunnels. Weren't pirates always on the move? Do you think they had the time, the inclination and the patience to construct anything as intricate as the money pit?

AHA! I'm getting the hang of the quote thingie!

Pirates did spend a fair deal of time on land, Heck whats the point of stealing if you couldnt spend your treasure. I think its safe to assume that life at sea was one great bore for pirates. Weeks of boredom searching for prey with only small burst of excitement.

I have to say The idea of buried treasure is mostly a mythical one.One pirate who may have started the myth, and was known for burying his treasure was Captain Kidd.

Most pirates spent their money too fast to have anything to bury. All that rum and women in the taverns cost money.

So only the most succesful pirates would have had enough to want to bury some for later. I think someone like Blackbeard or Captain Kidd would have had the loot to hide along with the motive to hide it.

So I really wouldnt count them out of suspects for doing this.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
A relative of mine was interested in Oak Island, so, for a present, I gave him a book all about it last Christmas. I can't remember the title or the author, but remember some of the information that was in that book.

The main point was that the poeple who buried the treasure at Oak Island were none other than the Knights Templar and that they buried their treasure there for safekeeping from Spain's King Philip (the Fair) and the Pope who had previously murdered their leader, Jacques DeMolay and 7,000 Knights in 1307.

The Templars had the largest fleet in the world which escaped with the remaining Knights and all of their immense fortune. This hoard of gold was what Philip and the Pope conspired to steal in order to finance another fun filled crusade.

No-one knows what happened to all that wealth, but if I was a betting man, knowing the capabilities of the Templars at building with stone, I would guess that the book was correct about the 'money pit', and that it was constructed to be inpenetrable by plain digging.

btw...the knights had all those ships, no Christian country to find refuge in and the skull and crossbones as a symbol (which they would carve in stone over the graves of their fallen comrades).

hmmm...lotsa ships, skull and crossbones, and no home...sounds like the beginnings of piracy as we know it.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well, when they drilled down they passed through many different materials.
The drill had at one point a thin layer of gold melted on it. They also managed to get a chain from an old bracelet or watch from off the drill.
You see the actual treasure is in a cement vault 200 feet down. The cement vault rests on top of a steel sheet. The chances of there being treasure down there are pretty good based on what weve seen.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
What's crazy is that no one actually wants to find out. The guy who owns the island was on the radio and said if you want to dig with your heart's desire, you must give him $12 million. That's outrageous. But still, the question remains, what the hell is at the bottom? OR should I say was?

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by faiz
What's crazy is that no one actually wants to find out. The guy who owns the island was on the radio and said if you want to dig with your heart's desire, you must give him $12 million. That's outrageous. But still, the question remains, what the hell is at the bottom? OR should I say was?

12 million to just dig thats insane . I bet if you did that you would only find 5 million in gold if you found anything at all. -7 million sweet

I doubt the island is even worth 12 million

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I disagree, the treasure might be worth 5m in scrap weight but treasers are worth more than their weight just the story rights to the find you could sell to discovery channel for millions then theres museum tours and such, the risk is not in how much its worth but if its there and can you get it

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by faiz
Hey, awhile ago I heard about this island in Canada, that had a mysterious deep hole, which was supposed have buried treasure at the bottom.

This topic has appeared on a few threads here, nd since I have a personal interest in the subject I generally chime in.

Here is a link to the most recent thread. Have fun...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join