It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oak Island Mystery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Hey, awhile ago I heard about this island in Canada, that had a mysterious deep hole, which was supposed have buried treasure at the bottom. It's kind of interesting, and I didn't want forum to put it in, so please excuse me if its in the wrong one.

Here's a link to a website with information on this mystery.

www.activemind.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I actually live about 2km from Oak Island. I snuck over in the middle of the night with a guy I had it really bad for. in hopes that we would have a run in with the spectre of a few privateers who would recognize us for the brave and pure hearts that we were
, but unfortunately the one single home on the island set there dogs on us, so alas, we never got our paws on the pirate booty and had to beat an ignominious retreat.

There's all kinds of theories about what's there. UFO visitations, Shakespeares original manuscripts or even the holy grail.

Unfortunately, I saw none of it. My romance went bust too.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I actually live about 2km from Oak Island. I snuck over in the middle of the night with a guy I had it really bad for. in hopes that we would have a run in with the spectre of a few privateers who would recognize us for the brave and pure hearts that we were
, but unfortunately the one single home on the island set there dogs on us, so alas, we never got our paws on the pirate booty and had to beat an ignominious retreat.

There's all kinds of theories about what's there. UFO visitations, Shakespeares original manuscripts or even the holy grail.

Unfortunately, I saw none of it. My romance went bust too.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Sorry about the double post. I still don't know what I'm doing!

Here's another Oak Island link
www.unmuseum.org...

I'm still willing to make another trip over if my next companion won't run off and leave me to the dogs!

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I think its Blackbeards treasure. He said he buried his treasure were only himself and the devil can get it. Thats pretty much the Money Pit in a nut shell.

A coin from the correct time and area washed up on the beach near were I live after a big storm. After growing up a fan of the Goonies I was inspired more then once to go looking for pirate treasure when I was younger.

alas I found no booty

[edit on 21-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Hey guys, Oak Island eh?
Well Oak Island happens to be the worlds most famous treasure site.
Since its discovery in the late 1700's it had claimed six human lives, and has costed millions upon millions to finance the various hunts. Oak Island itself is a small island located in Mahone Bay, off the shore of Nova Scotia in Canada. What is truly amazing about Oak Island is its expertly devised money pit. It has not been solved in over 200 years. You see one cannot simply dig in the pit and bring up chests full of gold. They've been trying that for ever, the shaft is connected to a series of on going tunnels coonected to the shore, therefore when you reach a certain depth, water breaks through and fills up to the top again. That is honestly only the beginning of the whole thing too. Everything known to man has been tried.
The buriers of the treasure even went to the extent of building an artificial beach, which under the sand held an extensive amount of even more tunnels. Anyway if anyone wants to know any more let me know I could go on for hours- its my passion.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Didnt they lower a camera to take pictures of the chests? I cant really remember.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
i seem to remeber reading quite a lot about this when i was younger and theres several theorys on whos treasure may be buried there,i think one possible link was to the British Royal Navy who had put looted spanish gold in the pit,but yeah,theres been millions spent trying to retrieve whats buried there and at the cost of human life aswell.There must be something of value down there because of the construction of the buried oak platforms and stuff-i think there was one expedition that broke through to a main chamber and sent a camera in which sent back images of treasure chests and gold coins but water filled the chamber before anything was retrieved?
Does anyone know when the last treasure hunt took place?

Regards.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   
There's definitely something there, but pirate booty is likely the most simplistic theory. When I think of pirates, squabbling thugs with two teeth sharpened to pull the cork out of the rum bottle (we're still fond of rum in this part of the world) come to mind--not a group of strategic thinkers engineering tunnels geared to flood if disturbed.

Another really interesting thing about it is that a layer of coconut husks were discovered about 12 feet down (if memory serves) one of the tunnels. It goes without saying that coconuts aren't one of Nova Scotia's major exports!

There have been explorative digs since the two boys discovered the original oak tree. Even FDR had a go at it, I think, but to no avail.

I don't know if anything is happening at the present, but I'll try and find out. Maybe it's time for another midnight excursion!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I say:

Go in and keep constructing concrete walls as you do to keep the water out.

Engineers are able to make dry walls around ships that are beached to recover them, or dry walls to create bridge pilons.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   

www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk...

this is a good informative site.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
They've tried building dams, twice. Each time the tides (which are the highest in the world in those parts) rose up to destroy the dams, thats a lot of wasted money when you consider it. Which isanother reason they don't try it anymore, but I mean it would work I think.
Currently the only "treasure hunters" licensed to dig on Oak Island are the Triton Alliance, a small group of bankers and inverstors. They haven't done much recently but I hear they are asking the Canadian government for a 12 million dollar sum to further excavate the treasure.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Eventually, they'll end up spending more trying to get it than it is worth

Construct a big metal cylinder (big enough diameter to enclose the treasure) that closes watertight, on the bottom. Drive it into the ground so as to encase the treasure. Close the bottom. Drain the cylinder. Problem solved...
The trick is the money of course, but I'd think 12 million would cover that....

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
It amazes me the length that was taken when hiding that treasure. The engineering of an island to protect the site is clever. A big hand clap to those guys for dreaming that up. How many years ago and still practically inpenetrable. Wow.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
sounds like someone needs to check Chester Copperpots records and then call in the Goonies. They might be able to solve this one

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I have been interested in Oak Island ever since I saw that one "In Search Of" episode dedicated to it many years ago. It seems to me that if there is treasure buried there then there must be some secret way of getting to it. I highly doubt that someone would bury treasure in such a way that even 400 years later it could not be retrieved, unless it was poorly engineered to begin with. To me it almost seems as if it might be some sort of ancient burial chamber with "blockades" not unlike the egyptians used. Of course I could be way off it's just a thought.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hellbunny
. When I think of pirates, squabbling thugs with two teeth sharpened to pull the cork out of the rum bottle (we're still fond of rum in this part of the world) come to mind--not a group of strategic thinkers engineering tunnels geared to flood if disturbed.

I think you are giving Pirates a bad wrap. Pirates were often some of the most crafty and strategic thinkers on the seven seas. If they werent good at strategy they wouldnt last long.

Pirates had codes that they lived by, ships that they cherished, weapons they used with cunning.

A common source of piracy, for instance, was the privateer, a privately owned and armed ship commissioned by a government. So these were often people that were at one time sailors in a goverment navy.

But with the very nature of piracy if you were not smart and a very strategic thinker you wouldnt last long. The more famous pirates that had long careers were anything but stupid.

[edit on 22-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

But with the very nature of piracy if you were not smart and a very strategic thinker you wouldnt last long. The more famous pirates that had long careers were anything but stupid.

And Blackbeard was one of them...

Isn't his real name Edward Teach or something like that?

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

And Blackbeard was one of them...

Isn't his real name Edward Teach or something like that?

Yup that was his real name.Some people think his true surname was Thatch. Little is known of his life before he began his career as a pirate most people think he was born in England.

He started his career as a privateer for the English goverment I think. The mere sight of him was often enough to make people surrender. Thats pretty smart IMO.

I love the flag his was reported to fly. A devil holding a hour glass in on hand and a spear in the other. I think the message was pretty clear there, He was great at psychological warfare.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Well what did you guys think about the inscribed stones found in the hole?
They said something like 40 feet deeper. Its somewhere on the site that I posted earlier. There has got to be something of importance down there, or possibly there is nothing at all, could be a diversion. But probably not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join