It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover 'Curiosity' Team Reportedly Will Reveal Major Discovery In December

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So, any info from the conference at all?
Drums rolling..

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordAdef
So, any info from the conference at all?
Drums rolling..

See Phage's response to me asking the same question on the previous page:

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by AceWombat04

The most recent results from the SAM are to be discussed at the upcoming AGU meeting. That's all it ever was.
fallmeeting.agu.org...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

I guess I was pretty much right. They usually sensationalize something by using words like 'major'. Then it turns out to be a big nothing.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
NEW SCIENTIST

Curiosity finds carbon – but is it from Mars?

A tantalizing whiff of carbon-based compounds has been picked up by NASA's Curiosity Mars rover. But it's still not clear whether the eagerly awaited results show the true chemical nature of Mars or are the products of Earthly contaminants.

Nice big article for you all, as i have said in a few threads before . even IF they do find organics on mars they will say it has come from earth, either contaminated rover or exchange of rocks between planets in the past...

They need to rule these two things out somehow before any real excitement can begin plus the fact that all of the things detected could be explained by inorganic processes.

My gut tells me that the universe is teaming with life, life always finds a way .... we shall see ...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Due to its smaller size, and lesser density, Mars would have cooled sufficiently, after its formation, for life to begin there, while Earth was still too hot. It's now been realized that Mars early on had surface water and a much denser atmosphere than it has now, probably making it hospitable to life. There is a good chance that if one planet seeded the other with life, Mars did the seeding and Earth was the recipient.
BTW, when finding organic material on Mars, they should eventually be able to determine if its due to life or not. This was discussed at the press briefing yesterday. Finding a predominance of the lighter carbon isotope, carbon 12, is diagnostic of life. Living things preferentially use carbon 12, instead of carbon 13.
edit on 4-12-2012 by Ross 54 because: added additional material bearing on the discussion.

edit on 4-12-2012 by Ross 54 because: added additional material bearing on the discussion.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

edit on 2-3-2013 by DigitalDeityDaddyDone because: Wrong link page.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Interesting that Curiosity has developed a fault at such a crucial stage in it's mission. I think something was discovered when they dug into the Martian soil recently and so in order to cover it up they have come up with Curiosity is broke story.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
Interesting that Curiosity has developed a fault at such a crucial stage in it's mission. I think something was discovered when they dug into the Martian soil recently and so in order to cover it up they have come up with Curiosity is broke story.

There is a very good chance it will be fine and be able to fulfill its nominal mission (and beyond). Curiosity was built with on-board redundant systems. The rover Spirit also once had a memory issue, but that was solved, and Spirit went on (until it was fatally stuck in sand).

By the way, Curiosity is yet to begin its most "crucial" (or at least the most scientifically interesting) part of the mission. Scientists are very excited for what lies ahead of Curiosity -- and that is Mt. Sharp (or now officially known as Aeolis Mons).

Aeolis Mons/Mt. Sharp was always to be the main target of this mission. NASA scientists believe that Mt. Sharp was built from sediment laid down by water long ago when Mars was a very wet place (when water may have completely covered Gale Crater.

NASA believes that Mt. Sharp was created when wind-blown sand eroded away part (but not all) of those sedimentary layers, leaving behind Mt Sharp/Aeolis Mons. NASA thinks they will find the exposed strata layers at the base of Mt. Sharp that were laid down when Mars was wet.

So they are not in the most exciting part of the mission yet.

edit on 3/3/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I'm not terribly knowledged in space exploration -- but sometimes the excitement/speculation of NASA "hiding a huge discovery" on Mars is hard for me to believe. The pictures and things I have learned of Mars, is that it is barron and boring. Then again, I don't really know what "major discovery" is to a smart space person.
I get the impression from some folk here that NASA may be hiding major life and/or alien technology they have discovered on Mars.
To the smart space/planet people, where is the line drawn?
edit on 3-3-2013 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone1
I'm not terribly knowledged in space exploration -- but sometimes the excitement/speculation of NASA "hiding a huge discovery" on Mars is hard for me to believe. The pictures and things I have learned of Mars, is that it is barron and boring. Then again, I don't really know what "major discovery" is to a smart space person.
I get the impression from some folk here that NASA may be hiding major life and/or alien technology they have discovered on Mars.
To the smart space/planet people, where is the line drawn?
edit on 3-3-2013 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

Either way, it sounds like you're focusing on the macroscopic whereas they (NASA) are most likely thinking in microscopic terms. ( Atleast for these experiments )

Also, I'm a little confused. Do you mean to say that people here (ATS) are giving you the impression that there is major life/ alien technology on mars? OR Do you mean to say that you get the impression that some people on here themselves think that there is major life/alien technology on mars?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
They are most likely taking the time to test, re-test, confirm, review, and test the data some more until they are 100% certain. I'm betting they found life. Bacteria are immensely versatile and can be incredibly durable to extreme environments. They can be found everywhere in aerobic or anaerobic environments, areas of intense heat or sulfuric conditions, and very deep within the ground (extreme heat) and high in the sky (extreme cold). Should conditions change, some bacteria have the capability of becoming what is called a bacterial spore, essentially preserving itself until conditions improve when they will germinate and begin anew again. Bacteria really are the fail safe at preserving the continuation of life for their amazing diversity. I have zero doubts that Mars has bacterial life on these premises. Just waiting for the day that it's confirmed and that could be in December.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join