It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover 'Curiosity' Team Reportedly Will Reveal Major Discovery In December

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by CannibalCorpse1982
People actually believe a country that has owned (and still does) slaves, trafficks hispanics for cheap labor, blows up buildings and blames it on an entire race is going to give you any information that could dismantle the entire false religion that has been created to keep people in line? GMAFB. I'm sure they know more about alien life and it orgins than they are going to release to Mr Joe Farmer with no security clearance.

Saudi Arabia has a Mars rover too?....Interesting.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Well, it could be anything really. We'll soon find out. But based on the way the bloke said it I suppose it's going to be relevant this time for all of us.

If I were to guess I would say they found a tiny piece of something, say it a sea shell fossil? That you would go for the history books..

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
Probably a wrapper from KFC up there that some Martian threw away

edit on 20-11-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

More likely an SFE (Sol Fried Earthling) wrapper.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Right now we have exactly one example of a planet with carbon based life on it: Earth. If we ever find conclusive proof of organic life - past or present - on another planet, let alone one in our very own solar system, the probability of life emerging throughout the cosmos goes up considerably by my understanding. This is not just microbes in soil or mud or rocks. This really is, in my opinion, the greatest and most significant discovery we can possibly make, (next only to finding complex organic life, which in turn is second only to finding intelligent life.)

This could radically alter our understanding of just how common life might be in the universe, and even how common complex, biological creatures like ourselves may be. I don't agree with some that it would be insignificant. Insignificant compared to science fiction or to stories of direct contact with what people believe to be extraterrestrials, sure. If you believe we've already had contact, then fine. This is nothing I suppose. But for the rest of us not satisfied yet that that's the case, this should be seen as monumental if that's what it turns out to be in my opinion. Our view of the entire universe could change.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I would love it to be something genuinely exciting for your average person, but what a NASA technician or scientist finds exciting is very different to what most people do. And, we have been here so many times "Ooooo NASA about to reveal something of earth shattering importance.........oh, ......er, right, ......yawn."

Also, if they are going to come out with "we have confirmed organic compounds present on mars", well yes, Viking told us that in 1976, and much as some folks wanted to pour cold water on it and call it 'inconclusive', sending a multi million dollar lander up to confirm a 36 year old discovery would leave me less than thrilled.

But hey, Im such an old cynic these days- who knows- maybe they have found evidence of ancient intelligent life or something- a piece of machinery or a building- now that would be a 'major discovery'.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
hopefully they found a puddle of mud... martian tadpoles!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Well, what we do know for certain (100%) is that whatever the news is about, was scooped up in the dirt. So I vote for either life or water. I am leaning towards small life forms.
edit on 22-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Well seems that NASA is backtracking on these claims from Curiosity"s lead investigator who came out with the original statement according to the below article.

TextLife on Mars? Maybe not: NASA rows back on findings November 21, 2012

NASA downplayed Wednesday talk of a major discovery by its Martian rover after remarks by the mission chief raised hopes it may have unearthed evidence life once existed on the Red Planet. Read more at: phys.org...

A spokesman for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which is managing the project, appeared to pour cold water Wednesday on the hopes of space enthusiasts looking forward to an earth-shattering discovery. "John was delighted about the quality and range of information coming in from SAM during the day a reporter happened to be sitting in John's office last week. He has been similarly delighted by results at other points during the mission so far," spokesman Guy Webster told AFP. "The scientists want to gain confidence in the findings before taking them outside of the science team. As for history books, the whole mission is for the history books," Webster said. Read more at: phys.org...

link; phys.org...

So we have Curiosity's LEAD investigator coming out with the following statement below;

"We're getting data from SAM," he said. "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good." Read more at: phys.org...

Then we have a NASA spokesman playing that original statement or the wording off it down.Hopefully the data will speak for its self, we have had the lead mission investigator being very clear in his original statement when he used the term "THIS DATA" and was NOT referring to the whole mission in general as "one for the history books", he used the term DATA coming from Curiosity and not the whole mission,that is very clear hear and this could be a very real discovery containing highly sensitive information that could very well be evidence of past or present life forms.In short my point here is that the the lead mission investigator has been clear in his statement.

Read more at: phys.org...

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Guy Webster, the NASA spokesman doing the downplaying is a journalist or publicist, not a scientist. I doubt very much that he is in possession of the information about the new discovery that the Curiosity science team is holding onto for the moment. Dr. Grotzinger may have been enthused about things that Curiosity has accomplished before this, but he has never used language like 'one for the history books' before. One might suspect him of hyperbole, but it seems more likely that he is being very careful in what he says. Why else would he refuse to speak about just what has been discovered, before it can be carefully and repeatedly verified?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Mars Rover 'Curiosity' Team Reportedly Will Reveal Major Discovery In December

Here we go again.... this announcement was probably made by a scientist before it went up the chain of command.

If this discovery is in conflict with TPTB interests the announcement will be about something lame like... yes, we found a rock that is also common on Earth...

edit on 22/11/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This is a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE blow to the skeptics, its just another link to the fact of finding either past or current life on mars. The Methane has yet to be explained but with every new experiment its looking like life is common in the BILLIONS of galaxy's out there. YES!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
Right now we have exactly one example of a planet with carbon based life on it: Earth. If we ever find conclusive proof of organic life - past or present - on another planet, let alone one in our very own solar system, the probability of life emerging throughout the cosmos goes up considerably by my understanding...

I agree with that in principle.

However, we would also first need to confirm that any life on Mars is TOTALLY INDEPENDENT of life on Earth. If Mars seeded Earth with life, or vice versa, then we would still know of life "originating" from only one place.

Having said that, I think it is highly likely that there is life out there in the vast universe in numerous places, considering the size of the universe.
edit on 11/22/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: sppellling

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATSZOMBIE
This is a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE blow to the skeptics, its just another link to the fact of finding either past or current life on mars. The Methane has yet to be explained but with every new experiment its looking like life is common in the BILLIONS of galaxy's out there. YES!!!

I'm not sure how many skeptics think Earth is the only place with life. Maybe a few people (very few), but just about all of the people here on ATS think life probably exists elsewhere. I bet even most UFO skeptics on ATS feel that ET life is quite possibly out there somewhere.

Heck,I bet just about every SCIENTIST probably feels that life most likely exists elsewhere in the universe -- and even in our galaxy. There may be a few who don't feel this way, but they are few and far between.

I suppose I'm a UFO skeptic, in as much as I'm not convinced aliens are visiting Earth (although I don't discount the idea that it may be "possible"). However, even though I am a UFO skeptic, I am quite excited about the idea that life may be found somewhere on Mars (past or present life), or on Titan, Europa, Enceladus, or in the clouds of Venus.

Even NASA openly discusses the possibility of life in those places I mentioned.

edit on 11/22/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSZOMBIE

There is a difference between uninformed closed mindedness, and skepticism. There is also a difference between informed comment, and witless prattle.

Until we are sure what this discovery is, I think its very much jumping the gun to make these kinds of assumption. Besides which, if the discovery proves to have less impact than is being rumoured, the egg will be all over your face. Just wait, and watch. Save the victory dance for the victory!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
Right now we have exactly one example of a planet with carbon based life on it: Earth. If we ever find conclusive proof of organic life - past or present - on another planet, let alone one in our very own solar system, the probability of life emerging throughout the cosmos goes up considerably by my understanding. This is not just microbes in soil or mud or rocks. This really is, in my opinion, the greatest and most significant discovery we can possibly make, (next only to finding complex organic life, which in turn is second only to finding intelligent life.)

This could radically alter our understanding of just how common life might be in the universe, and even how common complex, biological creatures like ourselves may be. I don't agree with some that it would be insignificant. Insignificant compared to science fiction or to stories of direct contact with what people believe to be extraterrestrials, sure. If you believe we've already had contact, then fine. This is nothing I suppose. But for the rest of us not satisfied yet that that's the case, this should be seen as monumental if that's what it turns out to be in my opinion. Our view of the entire universe could change.

Peace.

I completely agree - what could be any more significant. If they are able show evidence of present life on Mars, be it microbial or something more complex, it would be the single most important and revolutionary discovery ever to be made by man...period.

Think how much of a game changer it is for things such as religion, science books, things that are taught in schools and how you and I view ourselves in the vast cosmos. Its incredible to think how very fortunate we all are to be alive at a time when a discovery this important could be announced. As AceWombat quite rightly said - the probability of life elsewhere increases incredibly...this is the first rover to be sent to a planet with the purpose and equipment of detecting life....and its right next door to us. We discover life there then I am sure we will discover life to common place on planets.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by K-PAX-PROT

Then we have a NASA spokesman playing that original statement or the wording off it down.Hopefully the data will speak for its self, we have had the lead mission investigator being very clear in his original statement when he used the term "THIS DATA" and was NOT referring to the whole mission in general as "one for the history books", he used the term DATA coming from Curiosity and not the whole mission,that is very clear hear and this could be a very real discovery containing highly sensitive information that could very well be evidence of past or present life forms.In short my point here is that the the lead mission investigator has been clear in his statement.

I fully agree, especially if one reads the original article on NPR. See the below excerpt and it is abundantly clear that the phrase "one for the history books" and the term "earthshaking" are not in reference to the mission as a whole. Grotzinger clearly is referring to the data from a specific soil sample:

Grotzinger says they recently put a soil sample in SAM, and the analysis shows something earthshaking. "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," he says.

I also don't believe that, as a scientist, he would qualify something as "Earthshaking" and "for the history books" if it wasn't something really big. Those are some pretty big words to use - I sure hope they deliver now.

Link to the original NPR article:

Full NPR article..."One for the history books"...

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Keep your pants on.

It's been reduced from a "spectacular earth shattering event", into an "interesting find". Let's hope NASA can from now on keep down the hype, and actually stay scientific and avoid the pandering to those that are enthusiastically driven by obscure and veiled news that come from the rovers payed by the american tax payer.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Droogie
Keep your pants on.

It's been reduced from a "spectacular earth shattering event", into an "interesting find". Let's hope NASA can from now on keep down the hype, and actually stay scientific and avoid the pandering to those that are enthusiastically driven by obscure and veiled news that come from the rovers payed by the american tax payer.

No worries, Dude, my pants are right where they should be.

It's not about the "down grade" of the find. If Grotzinger would have come back and said, well, I may have been a little overenthusiastic, um, well. ok.
The point is that JPL/NASA now make it out as if like nothing really happened and it was all just about the mission in general.
Now their spokesman is painting John Grotzinger as some kind of science clown who gets the giggles over every mundane thing (underline by me):

"John was delighted about the quality and range of information coming in from SAM during the day a reporter happened to be sitting in John's office last week. He has been similarly delighted by results at other points during the mission so far," spokesman Guy Webster told AFP.

Really? Grotzinger walks through mission control for 3 months now, shouting "earthshattering" and "history books" every time the rover sends a byte of data?

John Grotzinger, the Project Scientist for the Mars Science Lab, the receiver of the Charles Doolittle Walcott Medal from the National Academy of Sciences "for the insightful elucidation of ancient carbonates and the stromatolites they contain, and for meticulous field research that has established the timing of early animal evolution", the Fletcher Jones Professor of Geology at CalTech (Div of Geological and Planetary Sciences) etc etc.... he is now just a guy who uses the qualifiers "earthshattering" and "for the history books" every time he looks at a piece of rock. Puh..leeaassee.

To me, it sure looks like some kind of "damage control"... He was without a doubt speaking of a specific soil sample that was fed to the rover, and this sample showed "earthshattering data". Now the spin doctors come out, belitteling Grotzinger and put a lid on whatever it is they found.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join