It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover 'Curiosity' Team Reportedly Will Reveal Major Discovery In December

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by fedeykin
The problem with being excited about mineral deposits or some such thing, is that it really doesn't shake any foundations. We already know theres rocks on Mars, and doubtless very many interesting rocks, if your a geologist. But the likelyhood that any kind of geology will bring some useful knowledge that will positively affect our lives is very slim.

I dont see how that can possibly be. Learning and information are thier own reward. I really couldnt give a fig for people who cannot understand that. There is no excuse for such close mindedness as that.

Even if it meant we were going to go to Mars to mine it, we wouldn't see that untill we would be very old, and doubtless only a few corporations would profit from it, no one else.

One of the reasons that a mineral discovery would be of interest to everyone, is that far from being a matter for when we are very old, the presence of significant mineral deposits could see a massive hike in speed of development, in terms of propulsion techniques, and mass transit systems for space. It COULD bring forth the most massive increase in funding for space technology since the space race began, and be the forerunner to our eventual mastery of travel in space as a whole species, rather than as elite units of highly trained men and women.

As far as scientific discoveries go that will help us in our daily lives, NASA has discovered more in the actual process of going into space, as opposed to what they have found IN space.

Well yes, but what you have to understand, is that there is an awful lot of space to go before we can make a qualitative judgement about what may be found out there and its potential to positively affect human beings on Earth.

Finding life on Mars is therefore one of the only truely exciting things for a laymen because it would confirm that we aren't alone. This, in my opinion, has more value then any other discovery we can make on Mars because it would shake a lot of ignorance out of the world's population.

How? By feeding thier need for constant amazement? By reinforcing thier unwilliness to connect with deep science? How is providing the Hollywood fix these people desire, in any way helpful to them, or going to shake off thier ignorance?

People HAVE to get a grip, and learn to enjoy and interact with the discoveries that are taking place at the edges of human endevour. If a person finds themselves unable to become excited by what comes out of the scientific efforts of our speices, then that shows huge lack of imagination on thier part. Science is not entertainment! It is not done to make people gasp, but to sharpen the tool of the minds of those who contemplate its results, and make them able to provide mankind with better information on which to base its next encounter with the unknown.

This obsession with appeasing ignorance is not helpful to the space industry, and is making a mockery and a fool of everyone who panders to it.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by shelookslikeone

If it was life, they would have to wait to tell the public. They have SOOO many people on the list before us that need to prepare. If it is simple life, like very small animal remains or dead crustaceans, or microbial life (animal remains would be complex life and HUGE but not to many people.)

If they found complex humanoid remains, or a structure (doubt it) then that would be a world breaker.

Either way they need to prepare all sorts of responses, give world leaders time to prepare their own statements, as well as infrastructure depending on the level of importance to the view of human history.

I think it will either be a confirmation of life, or habitable environment for complex life.

edit on 21-11-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
This seems exciting, but I always try not to get my hopes up. Sometimes these "major discoveries" turn out to be a huge let down. They sensationalize something and make it sound like a big 'OMG' history changing discovery, then it just turns out to be something mediocre, like "Oh, uh yeah... we found out that there was a little bit of ice here at one time."

And everybody else is like...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Why do we have to be prepared for information - like a warning??? If the information is from NASA (Never A Straight Answer) then I just see the spin doctors in action.

We don't even know whether the rover is even off our planet. The government and NASA have never told the public what is really going on - anywhere - on planet or off.

If something has been found why not share the news as it happens??? I find it very hard to believe any information that is connected to the words mars and rover. When I see the word rover I think of a dog.

There is so much to fix up - mend - heal and re vitalise on this planet - if there is legitimate space exploration happening it makes me feel sad that our planet isn't worth the time and effort for focus inward rather than outward.

Much Peace...
edit on 21-11-2012 by Amanda5 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

That IS a major discovery. The key to being able to appreciate these things properly, is first being interested enough to research the implications of such disoveries, but to also have the basic (and I mean really VERY basic) intelligence required to be able to make progressions of thought from one discovery, to its possible future meaning.

Let me give you an example. The LHC project at Cern, recently confirmed thier discovery of the Higgs boson, a particle and/or field that imparts mass to other particles. Not only does this confirm a theory long held by the man for whom this particle is named, but presents us with possibilities for the future. For instance, since this particle imparts mass, learning to control that capability, would render mankind with the possibility of creating anti gravity systems, and even lead to the creation of space warping mechanisms, similar to those used to propel craft in popular science fiction television shows.

I am not saying that this is a certainty, and I have no phd. But what I am saying is, that if a discovery of such a small particle can inspire an ignorant oaf like me, there is no reason that a discovery on Mars, of ANY kind, should not inspire some interesting thought and interest in general, in other people, unless of course, they would rather be watching Pop Idol or some old cobblers, and drooling from the corners of thier mouths... as a hobby.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The phrase used by the NASA representative for the Curiosity mission was 'one for the history books'. I doubt that the new discovery, whatever it is, will fall into the category of: interesting to scientists but boring to most everyone else. If that was what they have, he could have said instead: ' it will cause us to rewrite the textbooks on Mars'.
We won't have to wait too long to learn the facts. NASA has reportedly said that the news conference on this matter will happen at the meeting of the American Geophysical Union, on Dec. 3rd through 7th, in San Francisco.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

We won't have to wait too long to learn the facts. NASA has reportedly said that the news conference on this matter will happen at the meeting of the American Geophysical Union, on Dec. 3rd through 7th, in San Francisco.

Unless its postponed till dec 21st

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Whatever it is I suspect it will be anticlimactic, mundane, hum-drum crap designed to dissapoint or otherwise manipulate the public, or something that only rover nerds and fanbois will appreciate.

In other words, I'll believe it when I see it. Til then, I don't give a crap what the rover team says.

edit on 21-11-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

Mud is only possible with water. So yeah, water found on Mars would be a historic event.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
fingers crossed for "Mars life based on DNA like us"
but call me cynical, and i hope i will be proven wrong, but i think it is some BS just to keep people interested.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Pumper

We already know there is frozen water on Mars.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
As excited as I am for the annoucement I'm not getting my hopes up that it will be anything that revolatory in regards to the possible past existence of life on Mars.

However I'm sure a lot more is known about Mars then has ever been released to the public and maybe now this information is being slowly filtered into the mainstream to prime the general populace for acceptance of extra-terrestrial life when disclosure finally happens.

The possibilty of past life on Mars has always been ambiguous even from a non conspiracey viewpoint and I don't think we can easily discount all the rejected info regarding artifical structures on Mars and also I've still not seen a satisfactory explanation for what the 'glass worm' anomaly is on the martian landscape.

edit on 21-11-2012 by fadedface because: spelling

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by Pumper

We already know there is frozen water on Mars.

The caps basically consist of frozen Carbon Dioxide (dry ice). The Phoenix Lander is barried in the stuff right now. They have discovered trace amounts of water however, but nothing definitive.

edit on 21-11-2012 by Bearack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
'one for the history books'
I hope this holds up once the information has been released.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
On another note, Curiosity has a bunch of devised on it so the discovery could be a plethora of things. Remember, this is the first rover to have a mic on it as well and they have not released any audio as of yet. Granted, they also have released many images, unlike what they did with Spirit and Opportunity. That I do find strange as this has multiple high resolution cameras.

Edit for correction: Actually, I forgot they left the microphone off this rover. The Phoenix lander had one but the audio card failed during landing.
edit on 21-11-2012 by Bearack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Well said, my eyes were beginning to bleed from reading so much ignorance.

The value of finding anything living (microbes) or evidence of once living or even just minerals that are of human value will drive so much innovation our heads will spin, look what the last space race did for us.

People also tend to ignore the fact that all these 'small' discoveries such as evidence of flowing water add up over time and point to an exciting direction. If we can get a well formulated theory that reaches consensus, we can say with confidence that life exists outside of Earth. That would be massive.

ETA: That said, I do think this time it is actually going to be an announcement that they've discovered or proved something big. And yes they're checking and rechecking data before announcing and that's why they aren't announcing right away.
edit on 21-11-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysis
I'm calling it now...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I'm with you on this one.

If it's going to be "history making" it better be more than just some carbon compounds that could be used in the formation of life.

I'm telling NASA to buzz off until they have a pardigm-changing event like actual microbes or something.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think to discount ANY discoveries, even those that seem minute, is short sighted. While we may not be able to see the immediate value of what they are doing, I am sure that generations in the future will be able to use the information gleaned in this and other missions to make advancements we cannot even understand now.

And I don't mean even for space travel, but for technologies across the board.

To say that Curiosity is of no value unless we find an alien corpse is unreasonable and unrealistic. To say that we should not explore the boundaries of our environment is narrow minded. Yes, there is work that needs done on our planet...so do it. I cannot see how NASA could hinder anyone from helping their fellow man.

That said, I am excited to see what they have found. Do I think it will cause me to change my life...no. I am still amazed we are sending pictures back from another planet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join