Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

"Amazing Me": free book about autism

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Just returned from The Special Education conference and wanted to share this with you. One of our session leaders told us about a free book called "Amazing Me" that is available from the CDC. To order, go to www.cdc.gov website, search for "Amazing Me" and click on link to order form. (There are several other materials also available.)

The book "Amazing Me" is issued to be used to help with early identification of autism.

CDC

I work with children throughout the Autism spectrum, if I can answer any of your questions about autism or Asperger's, I'd be happy to. Just wanted to share a good resource.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thanks for the link to the free book -

What do you think of the use of robots in treating autistic children ?

The New Face of Autism Therapy

. Mataric envisions a day when parents will be able to bring Bandit-like ’bots home right after diagnosis for round-the-clock therapy. They could customize them, adjusting the facial expressions and body language depending on the needs or comfort level of the child. Or the robot could adjust itself, gradually becoming less predictable to slowly increase a child’s tolerance for the uncertainty of real social situations. They won’t replace human therapists, but robots could offer an added advantage by giving parents and caregivers a systematic way to track improvements or setbacks in their child’s therapy.

Robots in the Classroom Help Autistic Children Learn

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

To be honest, it's a very new concept and I'm not very familiar with it. However, part of me hesitates. Autistic children don't like to make eye contact, they don't read human emotions well, I can see how a robot might make things easier. But do we want things easy, or do we want our children able to deal with real life and its emotions?

But that's initial thoughts, I need to look further into this.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by UmbraSumus

To be honest, it's a very new concept and I'm not very familiar with it. However, part of me hesitates. Autistic children don't like to make eye contact, they don't read human emotions well, I can see how a robot might make things easier. But do we want things easy, or do we want our children able to deal with real life and its emotions?

But that's initial thoughts, I need to look further into this.

I actually share your concern but it`s nice to see some innovation in addressing the issue. It may be a useful tool but I would imagine that human to human interaction will remained the primary focus of any treatment.

new topics

top topics

join