Blackpool tower from approx. 20 miles away

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Just sharing a photo of mine that I took way back in the mid 90's.

Many of you may have heard of Blackpool and it's tower.. well, here it is from about 27 miles away.
I took the photo from Jubilee tower near Lancaster using a Minolta 7000i dynax camera and an 800mm mirror lense.

Blackpool is a seaside holiday resort that has been popular for many years here in the UK.

I've been doing photography since i was 8 and I enjoy getting unusual shots.. If I am right, this is the only picture of its kind.. but who can say.. Ilike to think it is a 'one of a kind'.

Should you want a larger version, I've upped it on photobucket too
s30.beta.photobucket.com...

Hope you like it
edit on 20-11-2012 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
ive been going to blackpool nearly every year since i was 6 ,love it .broke my arm in the funhouse 1 year but still battled on lol

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by darknewt

I've never been there and not particularly wanting to go either.
I was in Southport for a while and could see Blackpool.. Nothing really there to attract my attention..

Loved driving my landie on the beach flats though..

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Are you sure it was roughly 27 or so miles?

It looks a lot more like 15 to 18, but it could be mere optical illusion as you probably zoomed in a bit.

How tall is the tower you made this photo from?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Aint been to blackpool since i was 18...went on a works do and one of the lads with us got hit by a drunk driver
but he was ok and the guy got into serious trouble since he tried to blame his wife since he was over the limit but there was about 20 of us who saw it so from what i heard he got shafted

But its a nice place to visit and well worth a visit

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Here is Jubilee tower with Blackpool way off to the right (out of frame in the pic shown in the link
Luckily, they mention this too

On the edge of the Bowland Fells, the Tower is at an altitude of over 900ft and has commanding views across Morecambe Bay to the Lake District and the Isle of Man [on a clear day!]

I've only estimated 27 miles..it could be 24.. not too sure, but I know that by road from Lancaster is a 40 mile drive.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Here's Jubilee tower on map. Used google earth to quickly pin it and post the image for you. Just in case anyone wants to workj out exactly how far away it is

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I hate Blackpool, but a great pic...............nice one......

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

It seems you may be closer to the exact distance..

found this little helpful page..
www.distance-calculator.co.uk...

will adjust title..

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Wow that is amazingly far visibility.

Thanks for the map and info about the Jubilee tower.
Learn new stuff all the time.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

It seems you may be closer to the exact distance..

found this little helpful page..
www.distance-calculator.co.uk...

will adjust title..

Oh hmm?

I am an excellent judge of distance but with just your photo I wasnt putting much stock into it.
Just an off the top of the head thing, nothing serious.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I used to go as a kid to watch the illuminations and go to the sand castle swimming pool. The first one to spot the tower got 50p which would be converted into 2 pence pieces for the penny arcades. It was a magical place as a kid, not sure my nostalgia would be matched if I ever returned

new topics
top topics

join