It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel holds the record for breaking the most UN resolutions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

We condemn Hamas for firing rockets into Israel. We believe that targeting civilians is unconscionable, and is a war crime.

But by any objectives measure, Israel has broken the law much more than Hamas. Haaretz noted in 2002:

Israel holds the record for ignoring United Nations Security Council resolutions, according to a study by San Francisco University political science professor Steven Zunes.
[Zunes] systematically went through all the states given instructions by the security council to find out how common a phenomenon it was. His results were somewhat surprising: “Some of the countries are considered and are known to be friendly to the U.S.,” he told Ha’aretz yesterday. “In the vast majority of cases I examined, the governments violating UN Security Council resolutions are countries that receive significant military, diplomatic and financial aid from the U.S.”

Israel leads the list. Since 1968, Israel has violated 32 resolutions that included condemnation or criticism of the governments’ policies and actions. Turkey is in second place, with 24 violations since 1974, and Morocco is third with 17 resolutions it ignored.
Zunes specifically avoided counting resolutions that are vague or unclear so that governments could claim different interpretations to the meaning of the resolutions. Thus, the famous UN Security Council resolutions 242 and 338 are not included in his study. He also did not count resolutions that only included condemnations. Instead, he focused on those that included specific calls for changes in the subject governments’ policies.

The resolutions Israel violated were either about its annexation of East Jerusalem or settlements in the territories. Israel also ignored UN Security Council resolutions that called for Israel to cease using harsh measures against the Palestinian population and to cease expelling Palestinians.

Pulitzer prize winning journalist Chris Hedges points out that Israel has broken nearly a hundred UN Security Council resolutions regarding Gaza alone:

The continued presence of Israeli occupation forces defies nearly a hundred U.N. Security Council resolutions calling for them to withdraw. The Israeli blockade of Gaza, established in June 2007, is a brutal form of collective punishment that violates Article 33 of the Fourth 1949 Geneva Convention, which set up rules for the “Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War.”

source

We, the US, keep sending aid to this country and supporting them in their madness yet they continually prove to be the bad guys. If any country needs sanctions placed against it, it is this one. The very fact that we aren't doing anything about this tells Israel that they can keep doing pushing the envelope and will continue to get our support.
edit on 20-11-2012 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Good for them. It is a noble achievement. The UN is not a government. The UN is composed of a bunch of tiny countries voting in a block against Isarael no matter what Israel does. They are basically in the pocket of the palestinians. Resolutions from the UN--of all kinds--are just a political game no one much pretends to pay attention to.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Did you happen to read most of the resolutions that Israel keeps ignoring? They are all pretty serious offenses. Many of which include attacking another country. Here is a few of them from the source linked in the OP.

Resolution 262: (December 31) ” … ‘condemns’ Israel for attack on Beirut airport“
Resolution 265: (April 1, 1969) ” … ‘condemns’ Israel for air attacks on Salt“
Resolution 270: (August 26) ” … ‘condemns’ Israel for air attacks on villages in southern Lebanon”
Resolution 279: (May 12, 1970) “Demands the immediate withdrawal of all Israeli armed forces from Lebanese territory”

Resolution 520: ” … ‘condemns’ Israel’s attack into West Beirut”.
Resolution 573: ” … ‘condemns’ Israel ‘vigorously’ for bombing Tunisia in attack on PLO headquarters
Resolution 592: ” … ‘strongly deplores’ the killing of Palestinian students at Birzeit University by Israeli troops”
Resolution 605: ” … ‘strongly deplores’ Israel’s policies and practices denying the human rights of Palestinians

Resolution 611: “… condemned Israel’s assassination of Khalil al-Wazir as a ‘flagrant violation of theCharter
Resolution 636: ” … ‘deeply regrets’ Israeli deportation of Palestinian civilians
Resolution 641 (30 Aug 1989): ” … ‘deplores’ Israel’s continuing deportation of Palestinians
Resolution 672 (12 Oct 1990): ” … ‘condemns’ Israel for “violence against Palestinians” at the Haram al-Sharif/Temple Mount

Say what you want about the UN, but the UN in this case is making a good point in trying to curtail Israel's blatant disregard for trying to maintain peace in the region.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Israel is itself the UN in this world order and first world is the slave of this UN and the second world is witness and the third world is the victim ! funny world we are living in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Typical scumbag Zionist. Claim Israhell is the only M.E. "democracy" yet when the world votes overwhelmingly to recognize Palestine, suddenly "democracy" means nothing. Want war with Iran for a fictional nuke plan and misquote their president by saying they want to wipe Israhell off the map but is actually wiping a country off the map. Typical, child hunting, terrorist, racist, apartheid Israhell is a contradiction by it's very being.

I'll take my ques from this great Jewish friend of mine. He's someone that actually knows........
Miko Peled is an IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) veteran. His grandfather signed the Israeli Declaration of Independence and his father was a Six Days War General.

He has lost a young niece in this conflict so I believe his entrenched view on this issue should carry more weight than most. He was well indoctrinated into the Zionist cause and has had to unlearn and then relearn the truth.

"The truth lays in the personal story, not in the national narrative." ~Miko Peled

2 ten minute lectures. Please watch............

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
why should Israel pay any attention to the UN? nobody else does. it seems the only time a country seems to do what the UN wants, is when that is what the country also wants, if not, oh well the UN just gets ignored. the US does this, Canada does this, everyone seems to do this. the UN just like it's predecessor the "League of Nations", is a useless waste of time that is in the end achieves nothing. not to mention that the UN has it's own agenda these days. just like the League of Nations, the UN needs to just be abolished. and frankly don't bother trying to make a "better one", i think two tries has proven the concept DOES NOT WORK.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
When you read those things very few of them require Israel to do anything. They condem some air strike or the PM visit to the Temple Mount. And none of the require action they "suggest" or "request" of course if the language was not so weak it would never have been passed. Anyway we all know the UN has no power unless the US decides to enforce it.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Yeah. There's even a database. In case you're interested in more perspectives, I'm sure that if you hit the right search you'll find some old ATS threads about this with their corresponding scintilating discussion.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by generik

generik
why should Israel pay any attention to the UN? nobody else does. it seems the only time a country seems to do what the UN wants, is when that is what the country also wants, if not, oh well the UN just gets ignored. the US does this, Canada does this, everyone seems to do this.

Actually, according to the article, "everybody" does not do this. It specifically mentions Israel with 32 violations, Turkey with 24, and Morocco with 17.

reply to post by MrSpad

MrSpad
When you read those things very few of them require Israel to do anything. They condem some air strike or the PM visit to the Temple Mount. And none of the require action they "suggest" or "request" of course if the language was not so weak it would never have been passed.

From the OP:

He also did not count resolutions that only included condemnations. Instead, he focused on those that included specific calls for changes in the subject governments’ policies.
Source

Also, it is worth noting that those statistics are from 2002, and I'm pretty sure the number has gone up for Israel now.
edit on 19-3-2014 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

It' is probably pretty hard to keep the peace when you have people lobbing rockets and mortars at you all the time.

Since 2001, more than 12,800 rockets and mortars, an average of 3 attacks every single day, have landed in Israel.

link

I'm just curious how many of these violations were retaliatory.

Out of curiosity lets just say that your neighbor threw mortars at your house would you retaliate, or are you really that passive?
edit on 19-3-2014 by Diisenchanted because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Diisenchanted

It' is probably pretty hard to keep the peace when you have people lobbing rockets and mortars at you all the time.

Since 2001, more than 12,800 rockets and mortars, an average of 3 attacks every single day, have landed in Israel.

link

Out of curiosity lets just say that your neighbor threw mortars at your house would you retaliate, or are you really that passive?

Didn't take long for the bleeding hearts for Israel to start blaming it on the Palestinians. I think the thread is about Israel's breaking of UN resolutions not the Palestinians, why don't you make a thread for them and discuss that over there.
edit on 19-3-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sosobad

not much different than you people that want to blame Israel for every thing!

Just exactly what did you contribute to this thread? I can tell you . You contributed absolutely nothing.

Just trollin for stars. How about you show us some of your intellectual prowess, or is that the best you got?

edit to add : I offered a different point to this topic you added nothing . why don't you go create your I love the Palestinians thread.

Besides that I never said that it was the Palestinians lobbing rockets at Israel. You did and by the way thanks for clearing that up for us.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Diisenchanted
reply to post by sosobad

not much different than you people that want to blame Israel for every thing!

Just exactly what did you contribute to this thread? I can tell you . You contributed absolutely nothing.

Just trollin for stars. How about you show us some of your intellectual prowess, or is that the best you got?

edit to add : I offered a different point to this topic you added nothing . why don't you go create your I love the Palestinians thread.

Besides that I never said that it was the Palestinians lobbing rockets at Israel. You did and by the way thanks for clearing that up for us.

Alright you clown I'll take the bait, which people lobbing rockets were you talking about so? The fact of the matter is it is not just them getting rockets "lobbed" at them.

Resolution 573: ” … ‘condemns’ Israel ‘vigorously’ for bombing Tunisia in attack on PLO headquarters

Nothing to do with rockets

Resolution 279: (May 12, 1970) “Demands the immediate withdrawal of all Israeli armed forces from Lebanese territory”

Resolution 262: (December 31) ” … ‘condemns’ Israel for attack on Beirut airport“

Resolution 605: ” … ‘strongly deplores’ Israel’s policies and practices denying the human rights of Palestinians

That is just scratching the surface, want more? Again which people lobbing rockets were you referring to?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Diisenchanted

link

This thread isn't about what Palestine or any of Israel's neighbors are doing to Israel. This is a thread about Israel violating international laws and aggressively attacking its neighbors. At no point am I suggesting that Israel's neighbors aren't doing anything, but really if you think that Israel is completely innocent in all of this then I have a bridge to sell you. Just look at Netanyahu, every week he is yelling at Obama for not cracking down on Iran, who namely hasn't done a damn thing to Israel. Israelis claim that they do covert things to them, but those Israelis need to produce the proof of such actions and until then I don't believe their claims. Israel should be abandoned and left to their own devices. Name one positive thing that Israel provides to America for our continued defending them every time they get into a scuffle, their fault of otherwise.

new topics

top topics

join