It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crime Fear Mongering By The Media? What's Your Take?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hey ATS'ers

Been reading A LOT of news lately about how rapes and murders have skyrocketed and some parts of cities like Chicago or Detroit are like "war zones" (which is a pretty big hyperbole IMO) and while I do not discount crimes and violent crimes happening in poverty stricken areas are we again facing another fear mongering media onslaught about how we should be scared and fearful of each other?

I did a bit of research and found this site with nice easy to read charts that sums up the info quite nicely -
www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...
(scroll down for charts)

It was as I suspected, and what alternative journalists have been saying for years, the media keeps hyping murder murder kill kill as the crime rates keep decreasing year after year.

I feel like this coverage is just one more aspect of the corrupt media and their handlers telling us to be afraid, especially of our neighbours, at a time when we should be coming together.

Whether its a natural disaster, 2012 hype, crime stats or the economy, its seems TPTB want nothing more than for us to be immobilized with fear right now. They know that we are all waking up and if we all get together its game over for these fools SO dont let them get away with it! and like PE said "Dont Believe They Hype!"

PS - If I am wrong about these stats, please let me know. If there is evidence that states the opposite I'd love to see it. Thanks...

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Decided to delete post...don't have time to participate in thread.
edit on 20-11-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Absolutely it is hype. Crimes have not gotten worse. Crime is at a 60 year low. The difference is that you hear about every ax murderer that is 2500 miles away.

I always ask people, if you never heard the news or read the paper, how does your neighborhood look?

Mine hasn't had a crime in over 15 years.

Here is a good example of fear propagation, also that companies use this to their advantage:

My neighbor has grown up in my area, he has never seen a crime there. An insurance salesman tried to sell him insurance for robbery, and said to my neighbor: you know there was a break in down the street 2 weeks ago...
My neighbor laughs at him and goes, "no there wasn't" and then closes the door.

Violent crime, which has been falling for five years, decreased 4 percent in 2011, according to the Preliminary Annual Uniform Crime Report. Murders are at the lowest point in 40 years. Violent crime, according to the FBI, includes murder, rape, robbery and assault

discovery.com

Now that doesn't mean there aren't local spikes, but overall, we are doing much better. I like to remind people that who go on wailing that society is going downhill and we deserve to be eliminated.

edit on 20-11-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Notice how the media likes to focus on crime by people of color.

I wonder why that is?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I do not claim to know if crime is going up or not. What I do claim is that the figures are skewed especially from the government. Have you ever heard of Suzanna"s Law passed in 2002? It requires every police department in the country to report anybody 21 or younger who goes missing or is kidnapped to the Justice Department who then is required to report the numbers once a year to Congress. Last time I checked there has never been a report given to Congress. When the Justice Department was asked why not by a reporter who did a story on this the answer given was over 50% of the police departments had not submitted their numbers and the Justice Department did not want to embaress those departments by giving out their names.

When my daughter was missing I saw this happen. She was routinely dropped out of the NCIC computer by the police. I had to have her entered 3 times. In a 3 month period in a larger city in my state over 800 kids were listed missing. For the same time period FOR THE ENTIRE STATE only four children were listed missing. I can walk into the Sheriff's office down here and see on his wall more listed missing kids then is listed for the state.

Ever hear of the GIGO law? Garbage in garbage out. Without some means of verifying the numbers being crunched I would not accept anything put out by the government. As to particular neighborhoods being safe, of course. I would suspect most neighborhoods are safe for ordinary people, usually even the bad ones.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jerk_Idiot

I do not claim to know if crime is going up or not. What I do claim is that the figures are skewed especially from the government. Have you ever heard of Suzanna"s Law passed in 2002? It requires every police department in the country to report anybody 21 or younger who goes missing or is kidnapped to the Justice Department who then is required to report the numbers once a year to Congress. Last time I checked there has never been a report given to Congress. When the Justice Department was asked why not by a reporter who did a story on this the answer given was over 50% of the police departments had not submitted their numbers and the Justice Department did not want to embaress those departments by giving out their names.

Do you have any sources for this information? I would be interested in reading it.

It doesn't mean that other crime isn't reported. It also wouldn't benefit police departments to lower information, because then they wouldn't get as much funding for equipment and staff if there wasn't as much crime.

When my daughter was missing I saw this happen.

Ugh! What a horrible thing to go through!! I am sorry

She was routinely dropped out of the NCIC computer by the police. I had to have her entered 3 times. In a 3 month period in a larger city in my state over 800 kids were listed missing. For the same time period FOR THE ENTIRE STATE only four children were listed missing. I can walk into the Sheriff's office down here and see on his wall more listed missing kids then is listed for the state.

Not all police departments operate in the same manner. Some are stupid, some are inept, some are fantastic. Was this reported to the Justice department? Without knowing the system and their policies, it is hard to say.

Ever hear of the GIGO law? Garbage in garbage out. Without some means of verifying the numbers being crunched I would not accept anything put out by the government. As to particular neighborhoods being safe, of course. I would suspect most neighborhoods are safe for ordinary people, usually even the bad ones.

Lets reverse this, how do you verify that crime is high?

Police are not the only ones who keep records, other agencies do, hospitals, social services, the medical examiner's office. Police departments are not the only ones the report statistics.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Yea, they call it the MWWS, the missing white woman syndrome.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

true nuff!

top topics

join