It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phillyburb hunters shoots down activist spy drone

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
reply to post by foodstamp

They have no expectation of privacy when they can be viewed from public space. So that wouldn't work at all. There is a reason why they are not investigated even thought they have been doing this for ages.

Viewed from public space? If that were the case why the drone? Why didn't they shoot footage from the road? I saw the video. You can't see from a public space.

So yes indeed it's an invasion of privacy. One that could be debated yes. Like, Is putting a camera up in the air from a public space 150 ft in the air to peer into someones private space? That's wherein the dabate lies.
edit on 11/21/1212 by foodstamp because: Addition

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Turkey's on the farm are killed to be eaten Pigeons are shot and disposed of for a man to get his rocks off. I wouldn't equate the too as being the same.

As has been pointed out they are an invasive species. How many other species of birds have they pushed out since their arrival? There is a video on YT that show how agressive these seemingly docile birds actually are. They will attack the nests of other species and/or drive the parents off.

Starlings are also invasive. It should be open season year round on them.

In the southern states they have Coypu. It's a beaver sized rat like that destroys marsh lands. They are such a big problem the athorities will pay anyone $5 for each tail they bring in. No season. No limit.

Learn the truth before you fall for the cute and cuddly image.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Originally posted by F4guy
Adding thexponder would make less than a 1% difference in the effective thrust to weight ratio.

Do you mean like a swallow carrying a coconut?

Only if it were a 125 pound swallow with a 1 pound coconut.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Air is public space. Property owners dont own the air above their property.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

So it's ok for me to climb a roof and watch your kids in your backyard?

It's one thing to be flying over a property going from point A to point B and see something they don't want you to see.
It's another to position yourself with altitude to specifically watch the goings on.

But the shooting was still destruction of personal property. You would still have to prove which person shot the drone. Several men walking out of the woods with a shotguns doesn't say who pulled the trigger.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Air is public space. Property owners don't own the air above their property.

That's not entirely true. You can't have tree limbs over hanging from your property to mine. You can't peep into other peoples windows from afar. You can't suspend a balloon in the air to over look your neighbors house. etc etc... You can't encroach past the property line of another persons in ANY fashion weather it be on land or air. So I beg to differ.

That's besides the point anyway. In no way did I claim that SHARK violated the private property's airspace. That's a whole other subject completely. This is about privacy violation.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
reply to post by PsykoOps

So it's ok for me to climb a roof and watch your kids in your backyard?

It's one thing to be flying over a property going from point A to point B and see something they don't want you to see.
It's another to position yourself with altitude to specifically watch the goings on.

But the shooting was still destruction of personal property. You would still have to prove which person shot the drone. Several men walking out of the woods with a shotguns doesn't say who pulled the trigger.

Technically it is destruction of property. But TECHNICALLY it was also been used in the commision of a crime. Which, in most states, nullify's the crime of destruction of property.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent

Turkey's on the farm are killed to be eaten Pigeons are shot and disposed of for a man to get his rocks off. I wouldn't equate the too as being the same.

As has been pointed out they are an invasive species. How many other species of birds have they pushed out since their arrival? There is a video on YT that show how agressive these seemingly docile birds actually are. They will attack the nests of other species and/or drive the parents off.

Starlings are also invasive. It should be open season year round on them.

In the southern states they have Coypu. It's a beaver sized rat like that destroys marsh lands. They are such a big problem the athorities will pay anyone $5 for each tail they bring in. No season. No limit.

Learn the truth before you fall for the cute and cuddly image.

What does that have to do with what were talking about? I'm well aware of the truth. These birds are not captured from the wild for the good of man. They are farm raised to be shot and killed! There is something wrong (in my point of view) with someone killing for enjoyment. And that's an opinion. It can't even really be argued. So where are you going with this?

I mean if you want to argue the angle that pigeons are an invasive species..Well then, Pigeon gamers are doing a disservice because they're taking farm raised pigeons and releasing the invasive species into the wild which otherwise would not have been had they not been farm raised in the first place! You know, some of them do get away. In fact, I believe that was you defense earlier when you said "At least they have a chance to escape." (coulda been someone else)
edit on 11/21/1212 by foodstamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Its actually illegal to invade property and spy like this.

Not to mention, totally immoral and unjustified.

Too bad these activists are out wasting their time and resources on petty pointless endevours like this.
Sure could use them in the struggle for liberty, but apparently they are on the wrong side already.

How is it illegal to fly overhead and take pictures? What do spy satellites do? And you have no air rights over your property; you can't stop airliners from flying overhead. So I honestly don't understand the outrage here. I'm not saying I am for this sort of thing -- by individuals or the government, but as is, I don't believe it's against the law. That said, if a person or the government finds that one of its drones is shot down, I say: "boo f'n hoo".

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

Here is the actual US laws, so you can check it out.

US airspace regulations

Also each state has so called ' Peeping Tom ' statutes, so you need to look those up too.
They are pretty explicit about what is prohibited in relation to spying on your neighbors property.
edit on 22-11-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

I'm well aware of the truth. These birds are not captured from the wild for the good of man. They are farm raised to be shot and killed!

You know some pigeon-ranchers that sell pigeons to pigeon shoots, do you?

I do know a couple of people that trap wild pigeons, selling them exclusively to pigeon shoots. They do it on demand, the people holding the shoots let them know a couple of weeks in advance of the shoot.

Funny thing, other posters are justifying the killing of others species for food because they are farm-raised, you are taking an opposite tack.
edit on 22-11-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by borracho

It actually wouldn't be that bad to do. Set up a minimum altitude limit. Everything below that altitude "belongs" to the land owner, everything above it belongs to the FAA. Then set the altitude where planes are normally flying, so that they have to go to the FAA to get permission to fly in that area, or have to have a transponder installed. That means no small UAVs will be there, because something like this can't carry a transponder.

Uhmmmm, you do realize that most people with radio controlled planes, don't know anything about the FAA rules? Infact, they're exempt. Ultralights and helicopters are exempt from minimum altitude limits for the most part. And not all planes have radios. Infact, why would we make completely random no fly zones? You do realize people fly planes and helicopters as a hobby, right? Why would an RC plane even have an altimeter?

How about we just stick with shooting these drones down like these guys did. I see no problem with what happened. Animal rights jerks screwed around spying on people with guns, people with guns shot it down. Infact, what the hell did they think would happen? A reasonable person would expect this.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
What I on't get is why "SHARK" gives a crap about pigeons. Pigeons are not indigenous to the americas. They are not even supposed to be here. They are a pest species. They are technically european rock doves or something that came over with the settlers. So what gives. they are supposed to be culled. What like there aren't enough of them around. Pretty sure a pigeon getting hit with a shot gun regardless of load and gauge will be dead pretty quickly and painlessly.

Glad their drone got blasted. wish I was the one that shot it down, it sounds like a lot of fun to blast a crappy RC drone out of the air.

The episode of Brickleberry with the squabbits pretty much sums up the mindset of the animal rights activists.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Another thing....

Before the thread title leads anyone else astray, this event did not occur in suburbia, and the area is definitely not a suburb of Philadelphia. It occurred in the county that I live in, Berks County. There are several counties between Berks County and the city of Philadelphia.

ETA: We have no proof that any of the participants at the shoot were hunters. This is another problem with the thread title. You do not have to be a hunter to have participated in this trapshooting event.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Another thing....

Before the thread title leads anyone else astray, this event did not occur in suburbia, and the area is definitely not a suburb of Philadelphia. It occurred in the county that I live in, Berks County. There are several counties between Berks County and the city of Philadelphia.

ETA: We have no proof that any of the participants at the shoot were hunters. This is another problem with the thread title. You do not have to be a hunter to have participated in this trapshooting event.

According to the game wardens, if you have a gun and don't have a ccw and are in a hunting area, you are hunting.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

after some research, you are correct.
According to the PA Game Commission, you need either a hunting license or a shooting range permit to a carry a gun that can be used for taking wild game. That would include just about every firearm.

I am getting sick of this state now.

Oh, and if you have a firearm and a flashlight in a car, they can cite you for being a poacher. That always seemed to be presumption of guilt to me.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

So the illegal practice these men are taking part in isn't as equally if not more immoral then the actions of the people spying? Is that what your really saying? Let these people kill what ever they want on their property... IT'S PRIVATE!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Why are so many people obsessed with killing things? Killing to eat is one thing, but to take somethings life for your own entertainment is just plain soulless in my opinion. I can see why people would oppose this.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

What is happening is the local authorities testing their powers of spying using drones in private property and the expected reaction of citizens trust me, the results will be local laws to aim against citizens privacies.

I will not be surprised of the government will give drones "citizenship" and charge people with murder.

just a joke, Still if a person invade your property is still illegal.

So expect laws regarding this drones protections.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
What I on't get is why "SHARK" gives a crap about pigeons. Pigeons are not indigenous to the americas. They are not even supposed to be here. They are a pest species. They are technically european rock doves or something that came over with the settlers. So what gives. they are supposed to be culled. What like there aren't enough of them around. Pretty sure a pigeon getting hit with a shot gun regardless of load and gauge will be dead pretty quickly and painlessly.

Glad their drone got blasted. wish I was the one that shot it down, it sounds like a lot of fun to blast a crappy RC drone out of the air.

What if they were clay pigeons?

then what were they looking for the ethical treatment of earthen saucers painted black with a yellow ring?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join