It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Colossus - The Light That Shines Before The Whole of The World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Hello again ATS. As always, I have come begging a few minutes of your indulgeance. Today I promise to try and be direct and a bit less prone to tangents than I normally am - as this is an issue near and dear to me.

A few generations back, two of my ancestors landed upon the fabled shores of Ellis Island. They were Irish immigrants, eager to escape the famine that had ravaged their homeland and wanted, very much, to begin a new life in a land filled with promise. One of the first sights they saw, as they sailed towards are coast was the following:

Within that great and wondrous symbol of our nation is a plague, placed there in the year 1903 - too late for my ancestors to have read it. But I find comfort in thinking that their own thoughts may well have mirrored the words upon the plaque - a poem written by Emma Lazarus entitled The New Colossus.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

It reads:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Source

" "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

What iconic and beautiful words. What a manifest representation of what America stands for, and always has. A place where any person can find opportunity and a new start.

Why are we letting this integral aspect of our birthright and culture atrophy under the fears of immigration and xenophobic rhetoric? Do we not realize that this amazing nation was built by a coalition of immigrants working alongside natural born Americans? Have we forgotten the sacrifices made by the Chinese, Italian, Polish, German, Mexican, and Irish, and Dutch who came here, even under the threat of abuse, to offer their blood, sweat, tears, and lives to pay their price in the creation of this great nation. Texas - the state most vocal about wanting to secede from the union would not exist today if it had not been for the Tejano Hispanics who valiantly served, fought, and died along side the names we hold in such high esteem. Names like Crockett, Bowie, Travis, Houston... yet the name Juan Sequin is barely recognized today.

The labors and sacrifices of so many - marginalized, forgotten, revised out of history, apparently in some vain attempt to sanitize our history into a tale of Anglo European pride.

And now... With old hatreds beginning to show their ugly faces once again - the memory of my own ancestors cries out to me to speak on their behalf. To make me renew the truth that this land was forged in a furnace and as a melting pot for those who are willing to sacrifice for the betterment of this nation. The color of their skin, their religions, their accents and ancestry nothing. Only their love of this nation and it's people to matter.

I proudly scream, at the top of my lungs, those words written in The New Colossus and ask for the tired, poor, and the huddled masses to join us in our quest to become all that the Framers and Founders of this nation intended it to be. Come here with love for this country and you will find that those of us who respect your dedication and sacrifice by far and away outweigh those who lack the foresight to see the benefit of your participation in our grand experiment and venture.

The United States of America is not a race, nor a corporate puppet. Neither is it a land of intolerance or hatred - even if these things sometimes appear to be true. This is a land of dreamers and of dreams that can be made to come true for those brave enough to pursue them. Let the naysayers speak of the past as if it were the pinnacle of this nation. Let the morally bankrupt speak of it as a lost cause. Let those who wish to wallow in discontent do so and rejoice even in that - as we are a land where personal opinion matters and the ability to express ones opinions is the very first enumerate right we possess - one among many.

The greatest days of this nation lay ahead of us, not behind. We were created to be the shining light in a world so full of darkness and evil and we shall remove the tarnish from that light so that it will, once again, be as bright as it has been in the past. We will do this together - as a single minded people. As a diverse group, from different places, with different histories, but who all share a common goal.

Our diversity is our strength. Our resolve is our power. And our love of freedom and what is right is what makes us invincible.

I say come to help us with the hard work ahead - so that you and yours can enjoy the bounty that awaits us all on the other side.

God bless American, and God bless all the freedom loving peoples of this world. We are the majority and we will endure.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

S & F

You know Heff for some members this thread will go over like a fart in church. Too bad..

I was going to write something very similar once about the American Mutt

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Her name is Libertas, wiki it.
Also known as Columbia.

Interesting example of that, look at the icon representing Columbia Studios, what do you know its the Statue of Libertas.

As a side trivia, Long Island was originally called Rhode Island in reference to the Island of Rhodes where the original Colossus was built. Later on map confusions and errors resulted in Rhodes name being misplaced at its current location. Look it up.

edit on 20-11-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Another interestin coincidence I just noticed, but need to research to make absolute sure...

Is that the base platform of the Statue appears to be reminiscent of the fabled Lighthouse of Alexandria.
The similarities in architecture are astounding, to say the least.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
You linked us to Emma Lazarus, people should read up on her.

She was actually one of the first people to publicly call for the creation of a Jewish state.
Little did she realize how screwed up that would turn out, hah.

Anyways, more fun trivia for anyone who cares.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Just in case anyone doesnt know, the original Collossus was an image of Helios which i sthe equivalent of 'Baal' in the Bible

Romans 11:4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
Jeremiah 23:13 And I have seen folly in the prophets of Samaria; they prophesied in Baal, and caused my people Israel to err.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Can't say that I agree with you on everything but I will add a star out of respect for the ideals that this country was founded upon.

If you have the will and determination, you can become self-made and successful. How we measure success depends on what we value.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
So few here who still understand why America came to be and what it is supposed to represent? Hate and fear are the easy emotions folks - hope is the one that takes work.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

So few here who still understand why America came to be and what it is supposed to represent? Hate and fear are the easy emotions folks - hope is the one that takes work.

~Heff

Thank you for your interpretation of what America MEANS TO YOU. That's an important concept that I think went over your head while typing this up. You've taken a belief to heart and then demanded that we agree or we are less capable of intelligent thought then yourself and need to be preached to like ungrateful school children. It's a nice poem but it's nothing but a hunk of metal stuck to a corroded statue. You know what represents freedom to me? My service to this country and my daughter playing in the front yard in the shadow of my flag hanging from the house I bought and paid for with my blood. Flowery words and politically-expedient gifts do not.

Your heart is in the right place but the irony is you're TELLING us what we should think and what we should do, exactly the opposite of the ideals this country was founded on then when we don't jump to agree with you you make the above-quoted borderline condescending post again telling us what to do.

What I get from your thread is exactly the reason our forefathers fled to a new land; we will decide what and when we believe things and those that seek to tell us otherwise can go pound sand or the liberty tree will rest well nourished this night. If I feel like hating and creating divides amongst my countrymen thus is my right assuming it does not interfere with your rights or break a law of the land. I don't agree with you and have the freedom to do so, that's what represents America, not the words of a dead man on a gift that was given to us to finalize an alliance by a nation that has never truly known freedom.

A brilliant man once said, in reply to a question: "what is an American? One who moves west at the first sound of his neighbor's ax" and he certainly did not mean due to noise complaints. I think you should think on that and the concept of individual liberty some more and be less concerned about how you feel and what makes you feel that way.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by genericusername123

This is a demonstration of the rhetoric and "me" mindset that I see as the problem we face as a nation right now. I offered my thoughts and an invitation for others to add to them - you replied by stating that you see them as "demands".

Would you please point to me to these demands I am accused of making? Thanks.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Just a small comment.

I can appreciate your position and views of the founding of our beloved Republic...our great experiment.

I can also appreciate the views of the poster speaking of individual liberty...we love our individuality. I recall a line from the movie "What dreams may come" and Robin Williams wife said her greatest fear was to be lost in a sea of faces...that was her version of hell. I can understand that too.

I believe with all my heart in individual liberty. I should be free and as long as my freedom does not impede upon your freedom, you should have no problem with how I live my life and I will gladly reciprocate the gesture. My path is MY fate...

I also understand the value and need for community. We are social creatures...we need one another. "No man is an Island unto himself". Very few people actually want to be hermits. Even fewer peoples are capable if they wanted to. We are not trained like the ancients where an adolescent boy was dropped into the wilderness and told "survive and find your way home or die".

We must have a co-mingling of the philosophies. We must learn to live together while respecting each others freedom, liberty and privacy.

I completely appreciate immigration. My family is Scott-Irish and a touch of Norse...they too came here during the potato famine. I can appreciate a woman's freedom of choice. I can appreciate someone's right to do whatever they want to do with their body. I do not care who a person loves or marries. I think everyone should have a fair and equal shot at making a good life and offering a better one to their children. I think many things are retardedly over regulated...let a man make a living and get out of his way!

Just an opinion that can see both sides of a coin....

new topics

top topics

join