It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big News From Mars? Rover Scientists Mum For Now

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Its not going to be anything big or life changing. If it were so then "They" sure dont want Joe Public to know.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I don't really think finding microbes on Mars would be that huge of a deal. Earth and Mars have been swapping spit for billions of years, the life on Mars would probably have originated from the same place as life on Earth, and not formed independent of each other. I could be wrong, it might be a big deal for the panspermia theorists, but I don't really think it would mean life is abundant throughout the universe or anything like that.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
They've discovered the money would have been better spent housing the homeless?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
Its not going to be anything big or life changing. If it were so then "They" sure dont want Joe Public to know.

Why not?
......for what reason would "they" not want all the plaudits for making a life changing discovery?......and for what reason do you think "they" would keep it hidden?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Or this...

Mars & Eatrh water similar...

If this is it, it good news. Not great (for me) but good non the less

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

"Why not? ......for what reason would "they" not want all the plaudits for making a life changing discovery?......and for what reason do you think "they" would keep it hidden?"

Same reason they suppress free energy devices. Knowledge is power. And "they" need to stay in power.

Say they did discover life on mars. Every other nation with the capability to study or go there would do so. Competition is a bitch. And NASA dont like Competition, they might succeed where NASA has failed so many times.
edit on 20-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
UPDATE: Just for those interested in this topic, this I saw 1 hour ago. Mars update for this question here, interactive article www.npr.org...

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrankLY
reply to post by Char-Lee

Or this...

Mars & Eatrh water similar...

If this is it, it good news. Not great (for me) but good non the less

or Man could live on Mars

As we've previously reported, Curiosity's radiation instruments indicate that normal background radiation at the Martian surface is comparatively mild - a pleasant surprise considering the planet's thin atmosphere.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think they will say the atmosphere is breathable at certain times of the year in certain areas.

That the prospect of terraforming will become very feasible with current technology.

OR,

they go all out and say they have detected it was exactly like earth and supported complex life not that long ago.
and that there is a presence of organic life.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think the hit count was down on the rover site, and they needed a boost before the first quarter reports were due. Mission accomplished!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

I'll try not to get my hopes up too then.

He already seems to have discounted it being Methane

"We knew from the very beginning that we had this risk of having brought air from Florida. And we needed to diminish it and then make the measurement again," he says. And when they made the measurement again, the signs of methane disappeared.

Hmm I wonder what it is. I hope it makes me as excited as it makes John Grotzinger
edit on 20-11-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

I'm a bit puzzled where he says,

"the signs of methane disappeared" does that mean they measured the air again, in which case the signs wouldn't have disappeared, but would simply not be there. I say that because there appears to be highs and lows throughout the Martian day in the CO2 and water vapour and so on. It also begs the question is Curiosity itself pristine in its function. Aside from bringing in Florida air, which likely would be dissippated eventually, could not that little bit of plastic packaging 'that fell off' be degrading and producing methane, and also much like what looks like a heap of plastic ties around the heat exchange system doing something similar, all in an ad hoc manner?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
why not
tptb are notorious of diversion tactics too
could the very core of something like this be a diversion..."in play"
something unwrapping needs an "on hold trump card" to be played???
a play that could include a ...here's something to talk about while we remove something that shouldn't be talked about
edit on 20-11-2012 by lasvegasteddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Vikings never get credit for their discoveries.

Is anyone else concerned that Homo sapiens rovers may just be roaming around on Mars indiscriminately scooping up life and zapping it with that laser?
edit on 11/20/2012 by spaceinvaders because: added thought

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Finally the start of disclosure on a microscopic scale. What else can it be about?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OMsk3ptic
I don't really think finding microbes on Mars would be that huge of a deal. Earth and Mars have been swapping spit for billions of years, the life on Mars would probably have originated from the same place as life on Earth, and not formed independent of each other. I could be wrong, it might be a big deal for the panspermia theorists, but I don't really think it would mean life is abundant throughout the universe or anything like that.

That is a wider and wider accepted possibility, and I share it too. Good comment.

Now -- do we share DNA with them thar martians?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
The moment this rover was making all kinds of news about it's decent and the "minutes of terror" I knew something was up.

They made a huge media deal out of this rover, probably because they knew it would find something.

The rover will find "something" aka signs pointing to life. To a scientist that's exciting, I guess.

I just don't get it people. We can build an 800 mile pipeline across Alaska, house people in one of the harshest places on Earth for oil, go to the moon 40 years ago -- but we can't send a better rover?

I keep screaming this to people:

Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it

If we really want to go to Mars or live on the Moon, we could do it in less than a decade.

*shaking head*
edit on 20-11-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

I'm with you there.

I have been disappointed since the Apollo program ended. They shifted into neutral and left it there.

We need to be able to get off of this rock, whether it is colonizing another planet or living on giant permanent space stations. Sooner or later a big space rock with come to Earth and snuff out our existence if we don't have our seed spread a little.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

wouldn't surprise me none too if the big announcement goes as follows...
"found reindeer tracks and a candycane proving santa stops by mars too for the baby martians...happy holidays from nasa"

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasvegasteddy
why not
tptb are notorious of diversion tactics too
could the very core of something like this be a diversion..."in play"
something unwrapping needs an "on hold trump card" to be played???
a play that could include a ...here's something to talk about while we remove something that shouldn't be talked about
edit on 20-11-2012 by lasvegasteddy because: (no reason given)

Yes, but I was not talking in total ignorance, the plastic parts in Curiosity, we are told are 'baked in a vacuum' to prevent outgassing, AKA the 'new car smell' Curiosity is loaded with plastics, including miles of cabling for the electronics. What is not so clear is if the bit of packaging that fell off is part of that process, it looks just like a bit of polythene film tubing which will give off methane if degraded, and there seems to be no way of knowing if there is more of the stuff hanging about the rover, that could compromise the 'sniffer'

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join