It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Allergic reaction to chocolate?

page: 1

log in


posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:06 AM
This past weekend I ate some dark chocolate. It is my favourite.

To my shock, after consuming about two blocks of it, I started getting all these red welts and red marks everywhere. It itched a little, but I did not scratch it. My wife then gave me an anti histamine, and after about 40 min to an hour, it was all gone like it never happenned.

A closer look

I decided to not see a Dr at that time, since the problem seem to have resolved itself. However, after speaking to some people, I think I should try and determine, what it was that caused this reaction.

Let me also state, that I have never had a reaction like this to any chocolate, or any food source for that matter. That is why it caught me off guard.

How would I go about trying to figure out what exactly it was that caused it, or should I just go for some blood tests and see if they can determine it?

Like I said, everything is perfect now, and it cleared on its own, so I was not to worried at the time. Just want to get to the bottom of this.

If I can't eat chocolate........omg!!!

edit on 20-11-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:30 AM
Have you eaten the same chocolate since then? Perhaps you could give it another try and keep an antihistamine nearby just in case. Then that will give you a clearer indication as to whether it was the chocolate or not.

As we get older, our bodies change and we become intolerant or allergic to things we'd never had an issue with before.
Certain cheeses and condiments are now on my no-go list

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:38 AM
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

That does appear to be an allergic reaction. Did you experience any swelling of the mouth, through, or face during this episode - or any sensation of feeling hyperactive or agitated?

Even if it is a reaction it is not necessarily the chocolate. A new shirt, new soap, new detergent, etc. could also be involved. Even something you might not have noticed, such as sitting shirtless in an outdoor chair that might have been exposed to a pesticide or some such.

As the above poster stated, trying it again with antihistamines on hand is a valid idea - unless ( STRONGLY STATED ) you felt any difficulty breathing or any sensation that your blood pressure might have been rising during THIS reaction. If that is the case then you should see a doctor and they can do a localized test on your skin to see exactly what you had a reaction to.

It is also possible, as I let my brain knock around a bit, that the chocolate company you prefer might have changed their binding ingredients - or processed the chocolate in an improperly cleaned machine. If you have any nut allergies this is particularly worrisome - as those allergies can be extremely dangerous.

Another possibility is that you do have an allergy to something in the chocolate and have been becoming more and more allergic with each exposure. This happened to me with shellfish. I once could enjoy crab and lobster, but over time, each time I ate it, my allergy grew worse until now... if I eat anything remotely exposed to shellfish I have a SEVERE and life threatening reaction.

If it were me? I'd check with the doc and get the skin test.


posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:51 AM
A quick glance at some sites suggests that a chocolate allergy is indeed possible, but an allergy to the actual cocoa bean (chocolate as such) is relatively rare, and a migraine seems to the common symptom.

They suggest it could also be a more common allergen or something else in the specific chocolate bar, such as nuts and their oil, wheat, milk or even a contaminant.

Unappetizingly, a major contaminant and allergen in some chocolate bars is cockroaches or insect parts.
Apparently most bars in the US contain about 8 insect parts, but some have as many as 60 per 100 gram.
But is the chocolate all that could have caused the reaction?

I've had welts like that from antibiotics, and the sun also reacts with some medications.
Some people also react to soaps or lotions, and all kinds of pollutants float about in the sea these days.
I'd really consider if this was not some direct contact reaction to something applied to the skin.

A doctor can do some allergy tests and find out more.
edit on 20-11-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:54 AM
As a matter of fact, two hours later, I tried the chocolate again, and again, the same results, but maybe even a little bit worse.

Thanks for all the answers guys.

I had no difficulty breathing, the only thing that happenned was my heartbeat felt faster than usual, but that might have been because I was a little bit freaked out by the reaction.

I think an allergy test might be in order.


posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:04 AM
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

That elevated heart rate is also a sign of severe reaction. Especially if your face felt flush as it was happening. It sounds to me like you were approaching the level of reaction that can produce anaphylaxis. I would avoid the chocolate until such a time as you can consult with a doctor.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:19 AM
Maybe Theobromine? It's the chemical that's poisonous in chocolate, lots more of it in dark chocolate. That's why smaller animals like dogs can't eat it. Just a guess. I don't know anything about Theobromine allergy.
edit on 20-11-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:46 AM
I feel for you. I seem to become allergic to more things month by month. My latest scare was knocking back one of my toddlers chewable vitamin tablets as I was in a rush. Got the whole prickly throat, feeling mega hot and palpatations. From a kids vitamin of all things.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:23 PM
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I had no difficulty breathing, the only thing that happenned was my heartbeat felt faster than usual, but that might have been because I was a little bit freaked out by the reaction. I think an allergy test might be in order.

Did you ever get tested?
Did you stop eating chocolate?

I'm curious, because I have that same rash, and I've also been having rapid heartbeat/palpitations, vertigo and shortness of breath. I'm also suspecting chocolate (and tea.)

Coke And Chocolate Poisoning You And Your Kids?

Theobromine poisoning in humans?

top topics


log in