It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleeping Beauty Syndrome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I saw this on my local news today and was like 'WHAT?'

It's a disorder making these teenagers sleep for weeks at a time. The girl in PA slept for 64 days straight! I'm posting the video and small article about the local kid with this weird thing.

The second video talks about it more like it could be related to a serious psychiatric disorder. The second girl's story is much deeper into the issue at hand, and it explains some about studies of the patients brains. Her experience seems much worse than the first girl.

I don't know, I've never heard of this before, thought you might find it interesting.

I feel bad for these sleepy kids. I mean, I looove to sleep,but come on?? It's like hibernation

Sleeping Beauty PA girl

This is also known as Kleine-Levin Syndrome.
The folowing link is to a video and artical called Kleine-Levin Syndrome Turns Young Adults to Babbling Babies
abcnews.go.com...

These are stories of the extreme sleeping being accompanied by loss of ability to do everyday things like get dressed or simple addition. Strange indeed!!

edit on 19-11-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I recently heard about it in the news as well. For some reason, it reminded me of the girls (& one boy) from LeRoy, N.y who developed Tourette's-like symptoms. Here's a quick article on that (link) I got curious about whatever happened to those girls and basically, once the attention went away, so did the symptoms.

I sure wish I could've slept that long in my high school days! Given the opportunity, I think I would have 😉

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOtter

Hmm now you reminded me of the girl that hiccuped for weeks Unhappy Teenage Hiccuper

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Talk about getting some serious beauty sleep. I've never heard of this, but it definitely sounds strange. I'm glad I'm past these awkward teenage years.
Actually, just googled it and the average age is 23. I don't know how I could have thought it was just for the even younger crowd. Hopefully both girls will overcome this soon.

edit on 19-11-2012 by Jess117 because: I'm a magician.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Could it be a "side effect" of one of those vaccines aimed at teens?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
maybe but the article in the op says it seems to be genetic and mostly effects a certain type of jewish people (sorry cant copy and paste ATM).

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Many patients' families report that symptoms began after a viral infection, which may make the brain "more vulnerable" to KLS, according to Dr. Phyllis Zee, director of the Sleep Disorders Center and professor of neurology at Northwestern University.

The disorder seems to be more prevalent among Ashkenazi Jews and is sometimes seen in siblings, which would suggest a genetic predisposition.

top topics

join