It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is not my fault your parents and church beat you with a bible.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I try to be patient; but, I am so tired of being told what "Christians" believe. One would have to be seriously ignorant to think that one billion people all believe the exact same thing, no variations. That is stupid. Does anyone think the same at 30 that they did at 5? It is no better to be an ignorant and bigoted atheist then it is to be an ignorant and bigoted Christian or Jew or Muslim or whatever.

Your parents may have beat you and told you the bible said it was okay, that doesn't mean they were right. I am not responsible for every idiot that claims to be a christian. Stop being ignorant and telling us what Christians think, try asking us, you will discover that we have varying views. I certainly do not claim to be all knowing so how can I know anything perfectly? How could any of us?

Jesus did not come to say that the church of his day had it right, he came to say that they had forgotten the real message, the one of love and salvation. It is no different today. As for idiots who they think they are christians, please tell me how many unforgivable sins there are? The bible says there is only one, do you think it is spelling or pronouncing God's name wrong? Do you think it is being gay or drinking alcohol? Do you think it is being sinless for Paul says he is the greatest sinner of all and Moses was punished for his sin and was not allowed to enter Israel, yet, we know he was saved.

What is wrong with a world where people are busy being cute and insincere? Honest conversations are good, try having one rather than trying to prove a point.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

my kids made me watch zeitgeist...so a couple of q-tips later i'm back to my love of science...science has a way of making sense...

edit on 19-11-2012 by lasvegasteddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lasvegasteddy

Dear lasvegasteddy,

I happen to love science. I remember watching live as we landed on the moon. I had a telescope, microscope and being fascinated with space travel as a kid. I am very interested in quantum physics. This is a rant, do not assume that I hate science because I am Christian.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

The bible says there is only one, do you think it is spelling or pronouncing God's name wrong? Do you think it is being gay or drinking alcohol? Do you think it is being sinless for Paul says he is the greatest sinner of all and Moses was punished for his sin and was not allowed to enter Israel, yet, we know he was saved.

Luke 12:10

And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

S&F - good rant

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Dear Sublimecraft,

Thank you so very much. What a wonderful verse you provided. If I preach love and forgiveness, I am willing to have God punish me for not getting it all perfect. I have said for many years that I would be happy to be a street sweeper in heaven, I don't need anything more. I will be happy to get in at all. Peace.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

"do not assume that I hate science because I am Christian."
sorry if i offended you in anyway
i am ruff around the feathers at times

kool...you too was watching those apollo missions live too on those black and white tv sets
those days wore so magical
something today is lost...a certain innocence i kinda wish we could return to

but yeah i find science makes for great conversations free of the way conversations can bind over religious beliefs
did you see that huge cme that's plastered all over the internet yet?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasvegasteddy

"do not assume that I hate science because I am Christian."
sorry if i offended you in anyway
i am ruff around the feathers at times

kool...you too was watching those apollo missions live too on those black and white tv sets
those days wore so magical
something today is lost...a certain innocence i kinda wish we could return to

but yeah i find science makes for great conversations free of the way conversations can bind over religious beliefs
did you see that huge cme that's plastered all over the internet yet?

Dear lasvegasteddy,

You were not offensive in anyway. It would also be pretty hard to offend with science, not gonna happen. As for the apollo missions, I remember Gemini and had family that made them happen. I lived in an apartment building when we landed on the moon, we had 25 inch television and put it in the common area so everyone could see.

As for the cme, it was a double one. Yes, I am aware of them. I ranted because I am not stupid and I am tired of being told what I believe rather than asked. God created the universe and it follows rules, that only makes sense. Should he have a created a universe of no rules, of utter chaos? I think not. Peace and I have no issues with you.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
the cme i was talking about wasn't a double...this one
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Wow. Good rant and some very good points. Love covers a multitude of sin. Sometimes you need to tell it like it is to show true love. I applaud you.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

Wow. Good rant and some very good points. Love covers a multitude of sin. Sometimes you need to tell it like it is to show true love. I applaud you.

Dear EnochWasRight,

I will die believing we all matter rather than believing we do not. You matter, I matter, they matter. Even the people that hate me matter. I know how this place works. LOL. I am human, I don't know everything and am not perfect, Jesus knew that and wanted us to know that. He wanted ua to know that we could not be perfect, we are not God, we are his creation and by definition we are imperfect. He told us to focus on our logs rather than our neighbors specks, perhaps that is good advice, work on ourselves rather than worry about other people's sins that is between him and them.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear Sublimecraft,

Thank you so very much. What a wonderful verse you provided. If I preach love and forgiveness, I am willing to have God punish me for not getting it all perfect. I have said for many years that I would be happy to be a street sweeper in heaven, I don't need anything more. I will be happy to get in at all. Peace.

Mate, after reading that I really do hope there is a Heaven. You deserve it for that attitude!!

Ahh faith in humanity slightly restored.. lol

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Dear Sublimecraft,

Mate, after reading that I really do hope there is a Heaven. You deserve it for that attitude!!

Ahh faith in humanity slightly restored.. lol

Dear Winofiend,

Thank you, I just want to speak for me and not for others who I disagree with. I do not want to be told what I must believe and I do not tell others what they must believe. Believe as you will, I am held accountable for having a reason for saying what I believe and I believe I have proven that I do.

Heaven, yes it exists; but, it is not the fantasy people have of mindless bliss. We still grow and still learn. We do not become God is some soup of pleasure, we continue to grow and have meaning. Truthfully, I did not come here to convert atheists, I came here to correct morons that think they are christians and preach a gospel that is non-christian. I have been here a couple of years and my words are pretty consistent. I bring up with others their past words, they do not bring up mine because I say what I say and I mean what I mean. I speak my truth and they cannot deal with that.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Dear EnochWasRight,

I will die believing we all matter rather than believing we do not. You matter, I matter, they matter. Even the people that hate me matter. I know how this place works. LOL. I am human, I don't know everything and am not perfect, Jesus knew that and wanted us to know that. He wanted ua to know that we could not be perfect, we are not God, we are his creation and by definition we are imperfect. He told us to focus on our logs rather than our neighbors specks, perhaps that is good advice, work on ourselves rather than worry about other people's sins that is between him and them.

I agree, and sometimes love is showing truth, even when it hurts. Of course, you will be attacked when you do. I wrote on this subject last Valentine's Day. The article is listed in my signature link under Above Top Secret Knowledge. Valentine's Day is Martyrs Day. The point I make in the article is this very point. Truth engages the enemy of it.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Dear EnochWasRight,

I agree, and sometimes love is showing truth, even when it hurts. Of course, you will be attacked when you do. I wrote on this subject last Valentine's Day. The article is listed in my signature link under Above Top Secret Knowledge. Valentine's Day is Martyrs Day. The point I make in the article is this very point. Truth engages the enemy of it.

Dear EnochWasRight,

LOL. I am straight, white and preach to gay Hispanics. I am quite tired of being told I have to hate anyone, the people that say it clearly do not know me. I am not impressed by the bad theology of atheists or people who claim to believe in God. God created us and told us that we are imperfect, I accept that. I do not know everything, I know somethings. Follow the truth and have faith, that seems to be good enough if we care about everyone else. Peace.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Dear EnochWasRight,

Dear EnochWasRight,

LOL. I am straight, white and preach to gay Hispanics. I am quite tired of being told I have to hate anyone, the people that say it clearly do not know me. I am not impressed by the bad theology of atheists or people who claim to believe in God. God created us and told us that we are imperfect, I accept that. I do not know everything, I know somethings. Follow the truth and have faith, that seems to be good enough if we care about everyone else. Peace.

There is nothing wrong with loving the sinner,yet hating the sin. Just like you hate being told someone else's pretext, you can easily create the same pretext toward another idea or group. Truth is not hate. Clinging to the correct message may reveal the error in another, but this is not hate or judgement. Truth is light and light reveals what it hits. You have no control over expressing the light and what it hits. The point is to simply cling to truth and let the light hit as it will. We can only see ourselves by this light and the same holds true for others.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Hiya OP,

I appreciate that you're aiming this at Christians OP but ...

Can we take this:

I am so tired of being told what "Christians" believe. One would have to be seriously ignorant to think that one billion people all believe the exact same thing, no variations. That is stupid.

And this:

Stop being ignorant and telling us what Christians think, try asking us, you will discover that we have varying views.

And apply it to this but only from an Atheist perspective:

I am not impressed by the bad theology of atheists or people who claim to believe in God.

As an Atheist I'm pretty tired of being told what I believe, too. From the posts I can't tell, but I would kinda hope that your point about understanding also extends to Atheists rather than just against. I suspect you're not intending offense.

Truth is not hate.

Problem with this is that truth is perspective.

Members of the KKK think they're telling the truth as well. To me it's where the hate the sin not the sinner thing starts to fall down a little bit. I'd rather use 'agree to disagree' or perhaps 'let God/spaghetti monster sort it out.'
edit on 21-11-2012 by Pinke because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
WHEN ARE YOU IDIOTS GOING TO REALISE THAT THERE IS NOT SOME WAR BETWEEN SCIENCE AND RELIGION!!!? THEY DO NOT CANCEL EACH OTHER OUT, THEY ARE EACH OTHER, THEY WORK TOGETHER!!

The seperation of science from religion is going to prove to be one of the most destructive things to ever happen to humanity. Well, more what I mean is the polarisation of it. I've said this many times before, but wisdom is found in the center of the argument.
For example:

Right now if you are on the science team, then basically EVERYTHING in every religious text around the world is a load of pi
sh,

And if you're on the religion team then every scientist in the world is actually an envoy of satan trying to disprove God.

I'm sure it can be easily seen how utterly ridiculous this is.

Like this: Obviously we are not, in this day and age, going to go around sacrificing sheep on altars and burning fat and all that, but just because that doesn't apply to us today, does that mean you are going to write off and completely dismiss clear wisdom such as do not steal or kill, be nice to people, try and find peace within yourself and your community, be selfless and always think of others?

But on the other hand: It's clear to me that evolution and the big bang and the standard model of particle physics are not the final answer, but they are real and can be observed, its actually a LACK of faith to say ''well if you believe in evolution then you have to say God isn't real'' I personally know in my heart and mind that given maybe 150 years (if we last that long) science will eventually come to reconcile with religion, and things like evolution and the big bang and all that will ultimately lead us to a scienctific proof of God. And just because that way of thinking sometimes sucks all the soul out of a person until you end up with richard dawkins ''we're all just objects, all our feelings and emotions are just chemicals, nothing means anything or matters in the slightest so just away and abandon all morality'' doesn't mean that a believer in Our Lord should abandon the clear science of like, eat healthy, dont jump off a building because you will fall etc etc.

So this way of like, choosing a side and then denying EVERYTHING on the other side, only forbids you the half of wisdom that exists on that side, its utterly ridiculous considering both sides claim to be ''seeking the truth'' when all they do is allow themselves less and less of it. And I hope I don't need to spell out at this point that its because none of them are actually seeking the truth, but they are seeking to be correct, they are seeking to justify themselves and prove themselves right over everyone else, and this, is ego, which is what clouds the light of God (his righteousness) from shining through us.

Here's a quote from the book of proverbs:

"Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares; at the head of the noisy streets she cries out, in the gateway of the city she makes her speech:

How long will you simple ones love your simple ways?
How long will mockers delight in mockery and fools hate knowledge?

If you had responded to my rebuke, I would have poured my heart out to you, and made my thoughts known to you. But since you rejected me when I called and no one gave heed when I stretched out my hand, since you ignored all my advice and would not accept my rebuke, I will turn my face away from you, and one day when you see your affliction you will weep for me, and I will not heed your cries."

and

"Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she is more profitable than silver, and yields better returns than gold. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her.
Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honour.
Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace.
She is a tree of life to those who embrace her; those who lay hold of her will be blessed."

and

"My son, preserve sound judgement and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you, and an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; when you lie down you will not be afraid; when you lie down your sleep will be sweet."

All from the book that so many moronic orthodox christians who cant even spell their own name claim to believe in, people who have no wisdom AT ALL! (and that includes the #ing pope and most of the clergy) And the book that so many scientists who claim to be seeking wisdom despise and hate because of the above type of people, but thats WHY THE BIBLE SAYS KEEP DISCERNMENT WITH YOU!!!! because most christians and jews and such are so so so far from God, and so most so called intellectuals dismiss it as idiocy, but if you had discernment you would see the truth of it.

Well it seems like something is a bit backwards to me:p

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm just gonna get this out.

There are people that I know in my life, that constantly support equality and say that groups shouldn't be unfairly judged.
They claim, and rightfully so, that not all blacks/whites/(insert race or creed here) are the same, that the war isn't just what we see on the news, etc.

But when it comes to faith, they become so obstinate, stubborn and belligerent. They claim that all christians are the same, and that all Muslims are radical.
See the problem here?

YES, THE CHURCH HAS GOTTEN IT WRONG TIME AND TIME AGAIN. WE KNOW.
SORRY.

I'm not going to apologize for the actions of people who don't follow the correct ways that Christ taught.
But petty, and frankly stupid, name calling will not solve your internal hatred against anyone.
It will make it worse, and will drive you further from peace.

But the fact is is that there was a man who was sent from a Loving God to redeem the world from the Fall of Man.
To bring us back to the original path he had intended. Everything bad here is a direct result from the biggest war the universe has ever seen.
But if you focus entirely on the negative when bringing an argument against Christianity or any faith, you are a fool. And I cannot take you seriously.
You're no better than those who bring only the negative against the black community when complaining about them. They've made incredible advancements as a race, and respective faith communities have made leaps and bounds in love and understanding.
But you don't focus on them because it doesn't serve to add to your platform of hatred.

Yes, the church and many people have screwed up because they followed temptation. Nowhere in the bible does it say that the ones placed in power won't be tempted.

Being with Jesus is a constant sacrifice, and demands everything from you. It's hard, but incredibly rewarding.

All that aside, this is the fact of the matter: God treasures you, and wants you to be with him.
WHAT BEING WITH GOD DOES NOT MEAN: Being hateful, judgmental, and otherwise completely turning people away. There are too many of these people, and their "actions of faith" come directly from their pride and ego that they have consistently failed to give away to Jesus.
WHAT BEING WITH GOD DOES MEAN: Loving everyone to the maximum of your potential. You will receive grace from God to love people more than you could imagine. Serving people(believers and unbelievers), performing miracles as a result of the Holy Spirit in you to believers and unbelievers, reading the Bible and having it read you, receiving the gift of a prayer language and speaking in it, being obedient to God's commands(no, he won't ever tell you to condemn someone), and otherwise really enjoying your life. It's more than I could explain in the character limit ATS provides.

As a follower of Jesus, you have a responsibility to be a man/woman of Christ. People who follow the true way do exist, and they're going to blow you away when you meet them.

You're God's kid. He loves you to the maximum potential of his being, which is an incalculable exponent higher than we as humans can love. If you suddenly received his full love, your body would probably disintegrate. That's how violent it is.

Whether you accept that love is up to you.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I was waiting for the feathers to start flying..

Great job keeping things civil. This is why ATS is better than Reddit and other places.

On topic, This is what always stuck with me growing up and even till this day;

Matthew 22:36-40
New International Version (NIV)
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Star and flags all around.

ETA; Oh well. It was good while it lasted.

God could have made a million robots that would never have erred. I believe he wanted every experience with every person, good bad and ugly.
edit on 21-11-2012 by rbnhd76 because: god is the greatest artist. nay the greatest clock maker. you love science but can't see the fingerprints?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Someone told me that french dressing and eggs were a good combo. What did I do? Said yeah right, because why in the world would I try something that I don't like? Nor will you see me go shopping to get it. I don't BELIEVE it's good, so why would I talk about it or be curious to try it? Maybe deep down, I want to try it after all. I guess, it's a front for a bigger, hidden curiosity that I have. I mean...do people continually talk about things that they don't think exists or is good?

Amazing Quotes On and Against Atheism

A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
C.S. Lewis

The atheist can't find God for the same reason that a thief can't find a policeman.
Author Unknown

The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful, and has nobody to thank.
Dante Gabriel Rossetti

Humanism or atheism is a wonderful philosophy of life as long as you are big, strong, and between the ages of eighteen and thirty-five. But watch out if you are in a lifeboat and there are others who are younger, bigger, or smarter.
William Murray

Absent an absolute moral authority independent of fallible humans, the only meaning “wrong” could have (pertaining to conduct) would be “in opposition to X,” or “falling short of X’s standards,” which are only persuasive to those who have already accepted X.
Calvin Freiburger

The real attitude of sin in the heart towards God is that of being without God; it is pride, the worship of myself, that is the great atheistic fact in human life.
Oswald Chambers

The theory that thought is merely a movement in the brain is, in my opinion, nonsense; for if so, that theory itself would be merely a movement, an event among atoms, which may have speed and direction but of which it would be meaningless to use the words 'true' or 'false'.
C.S. Lewis

If there is no God, then all that exists is time and chance acting on matter. If this is true then the difference between your thoughts and mine correspond to the difference between shaking up a bottle of Mountain Dew and a bottle of Dr. Pepper. You simply fizz atheistically and I fizz theistically. This means that you do not hold to atheism because it is true , but rather because of a series of chemical reactions… … Morality, tragedy, and sorrow are equally evanescent. They are all empty sensations created by the chemical reactions of the brain, in turn created by too much pizza the night before. If there is no God, then all abstractions are chemical epiphenomena, like swamp gas over fetid water. This means that we have no reason for assigning truth and falsity to the chemical fizz we call reasoning or right and wrong to the irrational reaction we call morality. If no God, mankind is a set of bi-pedal carbon units of mostly water. And nothing else.
Douglas Wilson

The atheist can appeal to nothing absolute, nothing objectively true for all people, it is just mere opinion enforced by might. The Christian appeals to a standard outside himself/herself in which truth and qualitative values can be made sense of.
Peter Huff

My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? If the whole show was bad and senseless from A to Z, so to speak, why did I, who was supposed to be part of the show, find myself in such a violent reaction against it?... Of course I could have given up my idea of justice by saying it was nothing but a private idea of my own. But if I did that, then my argument against God collapsed too--for the argument depended on saying the world was really unjust, not simply that it did not happen to please my fancies. Thus, in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist - in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless - I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality - namely my idea of justice - was full of sense. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never have known it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.
C.S. Lewis

Science can tell us how to do many things, but it can not tell us what ought to be done.
Author Unknown

If God would concede me His omnipotence for 24 hours, you would see how many changes I would make in the world. But if He gave me His wisdom too, I would leave things as they are.
J.M.L. Monsabre

If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our present thoughts are mere accidents - the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the thoughts of the materialists and astronomers as well as for anyone else's. But if their thoughts - i.e., Materialism and Astronomy - are mere accidental by-products, why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give me a correct account of all the other accidents. It's like expecting the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milk-jug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset.
C.S. Lewis

Man is certainly crazy. He could not make a mite, and he makes gods by the dozen.
Michel De Montaigne, Essays

The greatest act of faith takes place when a man finally decides that he is not God.
Johann Wolfgang Goethe

There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions.
G.K. Chesterton

Practicing psychiatry without faith in God is like meeting a hungry man and giving him a toothpick.
Author Unknown

We must live with people to know their problems and live with God to 'help' solve them.
Author Unknown

Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable.
G.K. Chesterton

A great many of those who 'debunk' traditional...values have in the background values of their own which they believe to be immune from the debunking process.
C.S. Lewis

Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.
C.S. Lewis

There are two different kinds of revelation, natural revelation, which we find in the world, and special revelation, which we find in the Word of God. A basic rule of Biblical interpretation is that we should always interpret natural revelation through the grid of special revelation, that is the word of God. We don't look at the world and then say this is truth, therefore we must conform the Scriptures to what we see. This view is a deadly mistake and would lead to atheism. I interpret science through the lens of the word of God, which presupposes the truth of Genesis 1-3. There is no evidence of higher value or authority than the word of God.
Gene Cook

The traditional form of arguing for God's existence allows for the participants in the debate to stand on the sidelines, like two opposing coaches, in order to look at how their respective teams are doing out on the field. A distinction is maintained at all times between the participants on the field and the spectators along the sidelines. But a transcendental argument, on the other hand, is all-inclusive. A common mistake among those not familiar with this form of argumentation is to assume that it is the same kind of argument as one of the more traditional arguments. This in turn leads to misunderstandings and loud complaints when the transcendental players proceed to tackle the coach, water boy, trainer, and ESPN cameramen.
Douglas Wilson

If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C.S. Lewis

Some people complain because God puts thorns on roses, while others praise God for putting roses among thorns.
Author Unknown

A heathen philosopher once asked a Christian, 'Where is God'? The Christian answered, 'Let me first ask you, Where is He not?'
Aaron Arrowsmith

I was at this time of living, like so many Atheists or Anti-theists, in a whirl of contradictions. I maintained that God did not exist. I was also very angry with God for not existing. I was equally angry with Him for creating a world.
C.S. Lewis

No philosophical theory which I have yet come across is a radical improvement on the words of Genesis, that 'In the beginning God made Heaven and Earth'.
C.S. Lewis

There is no neutral ground in the universe: every square inch, every split second, is claimed by God and counterclaimed by Satan.
C.S. Lewis

Whatsoever is good for God's children they shall have it, for all is theirs to further them to heaven; therefore, if poverty be good, they shall have it; if disgrace be good, they shall have it; if crosses be good, they shall have them; if misery be good, they shall have it; for all is ours, to serve for our greatest good.
Richard Sibbes

For when we cease to worship God, we do not worship nothing, we worship anything.
G. K. Chesterton

How often we look upon God as our last and feeblest resource! We go to Him because we have nowhere else to go. And then we learn that the storms of life have driven us, not upon the rocks, but into the desired haven.
George Macdonald

Someone once said that if you sat a million monkeys at a million typewriters for a million years, one of them would eventually type out all of Hamlet by chance. But when we find the text of Hamlet, we don't wonder whether it came from chance and monkeys. Why then does the atheist use that incredibly improbable explanation for the universe? Clearly, because it is his only chance of remaining an atheist. At this point we need a psychological explanation of the atheist rather than a logical explanation of the universe.
Peter Kreeft

A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is... A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in.
C. S. Lewis

Prayer is not overcoming God's reluctance, but laying hold of His willingness.
Martin Luther

If God were small enough to be understood, He would not be big enough to be worshiped.
Evelyn Underhill

An utterly fascinating illustration of this duping of ourselves is the latest arts building opened at Ohio State University, the Wexner Center for the Performing Arts, another one of our chimerical exploits in the name of intellectual advance. Newsweek branded this building "America's first deconstructionist building." It's white scaffolding, red brick turrets, and Colorado grass pods evoke a double take. But puzzlement only intensifies when you enter the building, for inside you encounter stairways that go nowhere, pillars that hang from the ceiling without purpose, and angled surfaces configured to create a sense of vertigo. The architect, we are duly informed, designed this building to reflect life itself-senseless and incoherent-and the "capriciousness of the rules that organize the built world." When the rationale was explained to me, I had just one question: Did he do the same with the foundation?

The laughter in response to my question unmasked the double standard our deconstructionists espouse. And that is precisely the double standard of atheism! It is possible to dress up and romanticize our bizarre experiments in social restructuring while disavowing truth or absolutes. But one dares not play such deadly games with the foundations of good thinking.
Ravi Zacharias

Out of 100 men, one will read the Bible, the other 99 will read the Christian.
D.L. Moody

The secret formula of the saints: When I am in the cellar of affliction, I look for the Lord's choicest wines.
Samuel Rutherford

It is our wisest and our safest course to stand at the farthest distance from sin; not to go near the house of the harlot, but to fly from all appearance of evil (Prov. 5:8, I Thess. 5:22). The best course to prevent falling into the pit is to keep at the greatest distance; he that will be so bold as to attempt to dance upon the brink of the pit, may find by woeful experience that it is a righteous thing with God that he should fall into the pit.
Thomas Brooks

The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.
G.K. Chesterton

If you ask why we should obey God, in the last resort the answer is, 'I AM.'
To know God is to know that our obedience is due to Him.
C.S. Lewis

God exists whether or not men may choose to believe in Him. The reason why many people do not believe in God is not so much that it is intellectually impossible to believe in God, but because belief in God forces that thoughtful person to face the fact that he is accountable to such a God.
Robert A. Laidlaw

Occam's razor states that one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything, however, the simple theory must be able to account for or explain what needs explaining. It's not enough to have a simpler theory if you can't account for anything. Though we shouldn't add entities beyond what's needed, we also should not subtract entities beyond what's needed.
Paul Manata

Atheism is a crutch for those who cannot bear the reality of God.
Tom Stoppard

Still, even the most admirable of atheists is nothing more than a moral parasite, living his life based on borrowed ethics. This is why, when pressed, the atheist will often attempt to hide his lack of conviction in his own beliefs behind some poorly formulated utilitarianism, or argue that he acts out of altruistic self-interest. But this is only post-facto rationalization, not reason or rational behavior.
Vox Day

Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God.
Heywood Broun

Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening a mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.
G.K. Chesterton

The most valued attributes of mankind do not come naturally to the human animal; character borrows from the divine.
A.S.A. Jones

If you were a angelic being whose sole purpose was to take away souls from your Creator and your knowledge and wisdom were light years ahead of humans. With all of that power at disposal, what methods would you use in order to achieve that goal?
edit on 21-11-2012 by scmoG because: To add more information.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join