It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gospel of Thomas - Amazing Video with Commentary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
EDIT: Read my conclusion a few posts down. I find this video to be very interesting, yet very false in the interpretation it draws to the mind. There are, however, many valuable perspectives to be gained as it reveals a system for interpretation with some terms that are correct. This is the nature of anything that contains counterfeit information. Some truth is needed to wrap the mind toward a false direction. These are clues. The true parts can be gleaned from the false. Read my conclusion if you agree or disagree. I would be interested in comments.

-------------------------------------------
Like all things of this nature, we (many of us) are starting to see beyond the veil and mystery. In viewing this, keep in mind that we are at the early stages of Christ revealing all things. Many people are starting to wake to truth and seek the light that has been veiled. As you read this, use your own map of the territory to judge what it says as valuable or incorrect. There are many elements of this that I identify with so far. Although I am not all the way through it, I am starting to see some double takes that need further review.

I would value commentary from the larger Christian body here on ATS. What do you say about this video?

Also, don't just listen. You must read.

edit on 19-11-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

jeez man,

I was all excited because i thought that I would have something nice to listen to upon returning from school.

But, man, no one should have to listen to that guy read anything for 50 minutes. Right? You realize that it is slowed down to 80%.

It is much like listening to someone go on and on droning, "Buehler, Buehler...

Buehler"

Thanks anyway,

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Audacity will not only speed it up, but preserve his pitch. You can even change the pitch. The point of 80% slower is to read the words. There are extras there that make this the jewel it is. The extras are not read, thus the need for a slower tempo for the mind to catch what is hidden.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Hi,

Does this man say where the translation he is reading comes from ? Shame also to see all the (suggestions) amongst the text.

You should be able to get a copy of The Nag Hammadi library from your local or state Library. I did, only had to wait two weeks for it to arrive.

It is well worth the read with an open mind. "Thomas" is about as close as you can get to reading what Jeshua might have said and done as the writer lived and wrote in the same timeframe. As opposed to the NT's own M,M,L&J writings which were written anywhere from 40 to 70 years after Jeshua's death.

I also think that what was found in these Nag Hammadi scrolls is a copy of a copy of a copy, where religious additions have made their way into the original writings. So you will see all the appelations that slow down clear comprehension, but apart from that understanding of the Times, it is a very good read.

If we also add an understanding of the Pesher system of secretive communications used at the Time, we get to see so much more in Jeshua's offerings from "Thomas". So we would understand that when Jeshua says, "For those with ears to hear", etc, he was saying to those who understood Pesher that he was about to give some imortant Information. Meanwhile, the unknowing plebs would only hear a Story... as we read them in the Book.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
Hi,

Does this man say where the translation he is reading comes from ? Shame also to see all the (suggestions) amongst the text.

You should be able to get a copy of The Nag Hammadi library from your local or state Library. I did, only had to wait two weeks for it to arrive.

It is well worth the read with an open mind. "Thomas" is about as close as you can get to reading what Jeshua might have said and done as the writer lived and wrote in the same timeframe. As opposed to the NT's own M,M,L&J writings which were written anywhere from 40 to 70 years after Jeshua's death.

I also think that what was found in these Nag Hammadi scrolls is a copy of a copy of a copy, where religious additions have made their way into the original writings. So you will see all the appelations that slow down clear comprehension, but apart from that understanding of the Times, it is a very good read.

If we also add an understanding of the Pesher system of secretive communications used at the Time, we get to see so much more in Jeshua's offerings from "Thomas". So we would understand that when Jeshua says, "For those with ears to hear", etc, he was saying to those who understood Pesher that he was about to give some imortant Information. Meanwhile, the unknowing plebs would only hear a Story... as we read them in the Book.

I have a copy of the Nag hammadi right here beside me. I have read all the scriptures in it, as well as the apocrypha. Here is an early interpretation I did of the first section. How did I do from an early understanding: Thomas

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Conclusion

It has not taken me much time to see this for what it is. Most of what I have ever been able to conclude about such documents and videos comes from what they imply about Christ from a larger context. If you take the suggestions of the video in the pantechnicons, it points to the error you fin in so much of these counterfeit truths. There is truth there, yet it also veers to the error in a subtle way.

I conclude that this video is trying to move the reader to a false sense that the Christian, Jew and other divisions of belief are themselves responsible for their future. It moves the faithful to believe that they have somehow missed the larger picture. While this is often the case, this battle is not ours. Christ has already won the victory and our faith and the salvation that follows is not in our hands. The suggestion of the video is that the mystery must be unlocked or salvation cannot follow. This is simply not the truth. Grace and Mercy have taken us from our ignorance to the only truth that matters. The key to salvation is this:

Love God and love others. Give and receive and do not take.

That's the key. You don't need anything else.

My conclusion is that this is false. I still like the gospel of Thomas. To read my interpretation of the first part of the Gospel, see this thread: Gospel of Thomas Commentary by SuperiorEd

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
Hi,

I examined the Pesher system and it is false from what I can tell with a simple search. The trap that it sets goes against the Seven Rules for Rightly Dividing Truth. Seven Rules

It is very possible that I have concluded this based on examining the wrong website. Can you produce a link that I can examine for further study?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Read my edit on the OP and the conclusion a few posts above this one.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Well I found it fascinating. There were parts where the interpretations were 'right' for me, and parts where I said 'hmmm... maybe' and parts where I thought 'nope-- here's what I think it means.' Overall, I think that was the point. Seek and ye shall find. Don't just take some rabbi/priest/preacher's interpretation to heart. If you really delve into it with true and earnest intent, you will get it because the key is within you.

In particular I believe the part about being spread all over the Earth meant that we are all part of the One. That, when you look into the eyes of another, you are looking into part of the All.

I was always confused about the 'hate your mother, father brother & sisters' part of that text, so I was glad to see an interpretation that I can munch on.

Maybe that's part of it too, that when you hear someone else's take on a scripture, you don't completely buy into it or dismiss it outright. You pick and choose the parts of their interpretation that ring Truth. You have to do that for yourself. No religion can lift the veil for you.

top topics

join