It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Samsung Galaxy S 3 Review

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Okay I have to say, I am a gadget guy and a business owner. I never really found telephones to be a realistic help other than making phone calls, emailing, and texting. The internet was always super slow, and the apps were as useless as I had imagined before purchasing them.

Well funny story-while i was getting my new phone at Radio Shack in Hobart Indiana the miss priss manager who knew nothing about electronics told me how she loved her iphone so much, bah blah blah... It was funny that she laid it down next to my phone while she was installing my software and you could fit the new iphone in my screen-too funny!
Next I was sold originally on the new technologies the phone has starting with the most important feature: Phone Connectivity. I haven't dropped a call yet. You see this phone has not only 3G, and 4G, but it also has LTE which is awesome!

Then the phone has a super cool and super easy to use Panoramic photo feature-very sweet-I took a picture of my entire kitchen, everyone at the table, my family room and people on the couch-amazing!

The phone also has this cool "eyeball" that pops up to scan your face to see if you are still looking at the phone or not-if you are the screen will not shut off, if you aren't looking the screen will shut down-it's crazy. It scans every few seconds-even if you are at an angle it still knows your eyes are looking at this screen-WTF??????

Then we have "S-Voice" (Siri for Samsung) although it has no sense of humor like Siri, I can ask it almost anythin and it gives this crazy long explanation of what it is. I can say how big is the moon, and it brings up crazy math calculations, graphs, pictures, and everything else. I love it. What is 12,340 divided by 35? Let's see... You can tell it do most functions like "navigate to Chicago", or call Dave, or text tammy.

Beyond that there is a cool thing that if I flip the phone over it will mute my MP3 player or phone call, and I can cover my hand over the phone to mute it and unmute it.

The Speaker is very loud I love my music, and listen to music constantly. I have never had a phone with a good enough speak or battery for that matter to play music from my phone. Plus I can plug in ANY mp3 adapter or earphones without buying a special attachment from Apple

The buttons and links are right where you expect them to be ( the dial button, contact button, etc.) There is also sub-menus for phone and contact-very awesome! This product was very well thought out. It's like they heard everything we said with our old junk phones-like amn couldn't this be here or over there? We need this, and that, and so forth.

4 Thumbs

Built-in extra flashlight, the list goes on and on. Thank you Samsung for making such a great product!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I forgot to mention (or emphasize) that the battery life is amazing, over 1 day until it needs a charge, even using the MP2 player. Also, the internet is lighting fast (and I have no networks saved in there yet-just standard internet).
I love phone, oh and lamp too.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
thanks for the review. a phone thats scans your face every 3 seconds, probably with harmful radiation is fishy to say the least.

every phone in the world has an auto lock button so why would your phone be scanning your face constantly.

can you imagine the phone is actually alien technology, and the scans are for your replacement, most likely an alien with facial alteration surgery.

thanks. i will not be buying any phone that scans your face when your not looking.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
My iPhone 4S does panorama picture taking.

*shrug* I had two Androids before I switched to an iPhone. I'll never go back to an Android.

Android phones get "junky" after a whille. What I mean is, even with an app-killer and various anti-virus and spyware programs -- every Android phone I've seen (including others than mine) gets super slow and glitchy over time.

I simply never have to worry about that kind of stuff with my phone. It just works. I can usually get about two days of standby and a solid day of use from the battery. No complaints there really.

I also use a MB Pro and AppleTV, so the AirPlay feature is sweet and the syncing works flawlessly.

I never liked not being able to sync stuff with my Android phone and my MB Pro.

To me, an iPhone is like a Toyota and an Android-based phone is like a Kia or maybe Hyndai. Both are cars, but it's the lbuild quality and ittle refinements that make the user experience just a bit better.

My SO is a huge Android fan, so we have both in the house. I'd advising her to get the same phone you bought
-- it's the closest thing to an iPhone you can get without getting an iPhone. Even the Samsung interface looks very Apple-like.

edit on 19-11-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Thanks for the review.....

I've been debating between the Samsung Galaxy 3 and the HTC.....don't care for IPhone.
[ My friend has ruined me on those....ugh.]

But have been leaning more towards Samsung.....

Does it sound okay when talking to some one on the phone?
I know the HTC has a good clear tone when talking on it. I had to borrow one and it was very crisp/clear.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Thanks for the review.....

I've been debating between the Samsung Galaxy 3 and the HTC.....don't care for IPhone.
[ My friend has ruined me on those....ugh.]

But have been leaning more towards Samsung.....

Does it sound okay when talking to some one on the phone?
I know the HTC has a good clear tone when talking on it. I had to borrow one and it was very crisp/clear.

It is the clearest phone I have ever had. I am telling you-I own a technology company-and even I love it!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

No matter where a GIII is mentioned.....there will be an Apple user to bag it out.

Personally, I have used both many times and the Samsung always comes out on top.

For me though ...the GIII unit is too large. For a ladies purse/handbag it is perfect but for someone like myself(marine engineer) it is way too large for a pocket and constantly gets in the way. *insert manly grunt here*

edit on 19/11/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I will second the call clarity/quality on the G3. It is crystal clear and comparable to a landline.

A big improvement on the G2 which was only marginally better the the I-phones.

The HTC phones are good, though I think the Samsung phones are a better build overall.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
There we go, fan boy war begins.

Whether one is better than the other depends on personal experience, plz stop bagging each other.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Meh, I'm not an "Apple Fanboy". I use whatever "just works" ... for me the iPhone does what *I* need it to do, and it does it exceptionally well.

As I said, I'm telling my girl to get the Galaxy III. She's got an HTC right now and it's a piecer.

Out of all the companies making Android phones. Samsung is probably the best.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
dottech.org... samsung-galaxy-s-iii-gt-i9305-and-install-clockworkmod-recovery-guide/just posted this link in your other thread(duplicate)
My niece just got one,great phone.Root it and you'll have total control- no adds,you decide which apps access the internet,control dodgy app permissions etc.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
What version OS has it got.. I could google it, but then I coulda googles a review too

Umm, #2, the camera scanning for your eyes (no doubt it would find masks, buttons close together, etc, as eyes in a lot of cases) wont be scanning you with radiation..

Apple are proprietary. No USB even (at least when I last cared). It's locked down and if you're the sort of person who'd root android, then you're the sort of person who would jailbreak apple, and thus likely not going to suffer greatly from android lag.

Android should also keep things slim. They're adding so much bulk to the OS it's a pain on hardware that should run a phone and associated apps such as they are, without hassle.

Sure sure, people are getting quad core phones these days.. I really do believe we've moved on from phones and we're onto portable personal computers with a phone feature..

I don't think anyone buys a phone just to make phone calls these days..

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

my nieces came with jelly bean but that's in the UK from 3 mobile.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I sell high end smart-phones to people everyday who only plan on using it for phone calls, text, messaging, and the camera not because I'm such a great salesperson (I am pretty good though), but that's what they want to keep up with their friends. They then bitch and whine about having to get a $20+/month data plan so that they don't have to pay the unsubsidized price of $400+. A couple of months later they come in after they've locked the damn thing up and forgotten the password/pattern lock. Of course they never bothered to register or remember their Zune, Blackberry, G-Mail, or I-tunes account so I just say the polite version of "too bad so sad" when I wipe their phone with their new baby pictures/ photos of recently deceased relatives that they didn't even bother to back up on either a cloud, SD card, or home PC.

Other than the above rant. I'm really impressed with almost everything Samsung makes in phones. Over the past eight years and 100+models I've sold, there have been only 2 or three complete duds and a handful of phones that didn't live up to their hype or potential. Nothing wrong with an I-phone it's a good device, but I can't bring myself to buy anything crApple.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd Thank you Samsung for making such a great product!

You should probably thank apple for being there so Samsung can copy it's product

Apple wins lawsuit against Samsung, as jury awards $1B for patent infringement

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
My wife just got an iPad 3 for her birthday and I tried sending things to it to see what it could open up and play...not much Apple has locked it down hard so you have to buy the stuff from it that's compatible but my S3 just plays everything without fuss and I am yet to find a file it wont sort out and open/play.

Apple will go quietly into oblivion now Jobs is gone watch it unravel in slow motion.

ibnlive.in.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

This.

Unless your proficient and want to spend time hacking/whatever to your Android phone you're eventually going to run into problems at the 1 year mark. If you're not tech-savvy at all and have the money you'll upgrade to a new phone at that point.

If your not rich like my SO and myself, you suffer through the last year or two of your contract with a phone that barley resembles the phone you walked out of the store with that first day.

Apple phones simply don't act like that unless you hack them. I've erased/rebooted my phone and it took about 15 minutes via iTunes. Meanwhile, I watched Netflix.

I just want a product that works as advertised the length of my contract.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Personally I would be more than happy to go back to my old Nokia candy bar phone that I owned in 2000. At least it didn't have this creepy tech that these new phones have. I think they get creepier every month as the technology for them grows.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rubicant13

I feel you on that. I held out longer than all of my co-workers and friends for a "smart phone".

Does anyone else remember all the light up batteries and antennas they used to have for those nokia phones? How about those clear cases?

Can anyone imagine going back in time with a working smart phone to your past self that only had a Motorola Star Tac or a Nokia candybar phone?

The old you would probably not believe it was real, and call it a "joke". I mean, it can browse the internet, take photos, send/receive photos and videos. It would be like having the top computer at the time in your hand.

This was only 10 years ago!

I can remember getting my first phone with a camera. It was a Motorola V400 flip phone. I never used the camera because the screen was so small and there was really no way to share it. At the time less than half my friends could even accept texts with pictures!

Look at how far we've come people! Just imagine what our "phones" will do in the next 10 years.

I think in 10 years we won't even have "phones" -- you'll have a PAD or "Personal Access Device" that may or may not be implanted or a set of contact lenses. Everyone will have one because it will be so cheap. It'll be as needed as a wallet or a purse.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
My iPhone 4S does panorama picture taking.

*shrug* I had two Androids before I switched to an iPhone. I'll never go back to an Android.

Android phones get "junky" after a whille. What I mean is, even with an app-killer and various anti-virus and spyware programs -- every Android phone I've seen (including others than mine) gets super slow and glitchy over time.

I simply never have to worry about that kind of stuff with my phone. It just works. I can usually get about two days of standby and a solid day of use from the battery. No complaints there really.

I also use a MB Pro and AppleTV, so the AirPlay feature is sweet and the syncing works flawlessly.

I never liked not being able to sync stuff with my Android phone and my MB Pro.

To me, an iPhone is like a Toyota and an Android-based phone is like a Kia or maybe Hyndai. Both are cars, but it's the lbuild quality and ittle refinements that make the user experience just a bit better.

My SO is a huge Android fan, so we have both in the house. I'd advising her to get the same phone you bought
-- it's the closest thing to an iPhone you can get without getting an iPhone. Even the Samsung interface looks very Apple-like.

edit on 19-11-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

I only get Android, everything syncs perfectly for me, works perfectly, and my Phone never gets slow. Not sure what phones you were getting. If you want to compare Android to Apple make sure we are talking similar price ranges, as there are very cheap Androids that cost much less. Android is simply a superior product, as evidenced by the fact that Apple controls about 10% of the market and makes 80% of the profits. This means they are changing you out the a$$.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join