It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Times demeans relief workers and the fact they're white.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
As you might have noticed with most crisis the people giving aid are generally white. Deal with it and shut up if it's racist yell at the black leaders if you can find one

Exactly, where are the wealthy black people to help "their own"? No where to be found, only the evil white devil is there to help.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
A real gap exists between the middle to rich class and the working poor.....the better off crowd have a certain condescending attitude that rankles.....they cant help it because they are snobs.
The whole damn humanity runs like that.....
Someday there will be a reckoning and those with the wealth will find it does them not one whit of good,
Perhaps then they will understand what kind of assholes they really are........theyd gag a maggot.................
They arent down there trying to help the people, they are there making brownie points for their own egos.
Vive la French revolution!

So funny how they are there helping, while you do nothing and sit back and complain about them. Disgusting.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Originally posted by muzzleflash
reply to post by Ex_CT2

They have to judge you on various criteria in order to determine what type of help to provide.

Judged as starving? Get them food.
Judged as homeless? Help em find shelter.
Judged as bleeding? Get a doctor.

Etc. Cant fix something if you refuse to judge which component needs repair.

Judged as worthless parents because they don't have "lactation consultants"? Give me a break....
edit on 11/19/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

Where were they judged as worthless? Maybe if you had any knowledge at all you wouldn't make yourself look like a complete worthless fool.
How breastfeeding benefits you and your baby

Get educated. This person did EXACTLY the right thing. She came in and looked for ways she can help people. She saw a need and addressed it. You do nothing, have no education on the subject, complain about people judging others, then you judge the person trying to help. Wow.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Right. The people who are actually there, right now, are "well-to-do dilettantes" and you are a super-hero with a smart-phone and an internet connection? What kind of idiot agenda awards "stars" for this trash?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
If I chance upon disaster, I pray someone, anyone (white,black or any color) would be there to help me.

Race will always be a factor as long as it is allowed to be. And you do not have to be white to be a racist. I have seen the most overt public display of racism from those other than whites. If they feel so strongly racist, that they must vocalize it in public, then my suggestion is to find a relief station of their particular color. Or to just keep their mouths shut. Since they are not doing the children of this country any favors by poisening their minds with hatred.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I suppose it could be worse.

Persons helping could be called "Stupid Americans" by members of this site. After all, all Americans are white and stupid...correct.

For those that use "Americans" as a generality. "Americans" includes the entire hemisphere. Just shows the educational level of those that like to point to "ignorant Americans"...

That said, anyone.... regardless of what nation, ethnic background that will help any human in need. Shame on those that judge the demographics. It is about being the best person, not race or country in times of distress.

MG

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I have to wonder if this situation doesn't have other layers of concern than merely racial pride and the discomfort of having whitey looking down their nose at the po' color folks as they seek disaster relief. In a different situation when someone behind a desk asks the daugher if she has eaten in the past two days it is a prelude to child authorities being called in to separate the child from their families, to be taken into custody and perhaps being given over to foster care with the parents faced with piles of red tape and a dismal hope of ever reuniting with their child again.

With services and supplies interrupted it is quite likely the family has been eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches rather than their usual home-cooked meals. I suppose the parents should then surrender their pride and be thankful their daughter will be given a hot meal and presented the opportunity to learn the value of having a lactation expert on hand for when it is time for her to start her own family. Perhaps then, if of majority age, she can once again spend time with her parents and siblings.

I think there might be more at play here than racial pride.

edit on 20-11-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Originally posted by PvtHudson

As volunteers with the makeshift relief efforts have applied their own rules on how to dole out relief -- telling people where to wait and enforcing limits on how many blankets or food items storm victims receive -- some have entered the more fraught area of applying their own values to those they are helping.

As she gave out diapers and cases of infant formula to storm victims, Bethany Yarrow, 41, a folk singer from Williamsburg who has been volunteering with other parents from the private school her children attend, said she was shocked by the many poor mothers in the Arverne section of the Rockaways who did not breast feed. The group, she said, was working on bringing in a lactation consultant.

“So that it’s not just ‘Here are some diapers and then go back to your misery,’ ” she said.

I think that is very degrading myself.... who the heck are they to tell them their child needs breast milk??
I've met rich people like this... they probably mean well but they are just soo out of touch with reality. They pretend to know it all and try to shove it down everyone's throat and it just comes off condescending and obnoxious.

BTW I know for a fact that there are blacks, latinos, asians etc are out there volunteering and raising money...

edit on 20-11-2012 by juicebox because: typo

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

New York Times demeans relief workers and the fact they're white.

I didn't get where the NYT was demeaning the aid workers? They reported on the tensions involved in both giving and recieving...and when race is prominent in that exchange those tensions always exist. It does not demean either the Aid worker or the recipient of that aid. It is part of the natural process of charity and what folks discover about themselves and eachother in that process. I saw this article as informative, not bias...but to each his own.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by juicebox

I think that is very degrading myself.... who the heck are they to tell them their child needs breast milk??
I've met rich people like this... they probably mean well but they are just soo out of touch with reality.

Not neccessarily a White/Black thing...I know many new white, well to do, mothers that refer to lactation consultants and thier followers as "boob nazi's" for how demeaning and evangelical they are about breast feeding vs. formula.

Again...I have done charity work in bad neighborhoods and subtle, even well intentioned racism plays a part on both ends of the equation, givers and recievers. It's not something to ignore, it's something to ponder and part of the reward for both. Good for the NYT for making people think about it...both givers and recievers, that is part of the reward of charity. Growth and learning.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I swear, the reporters of the NYT sit around in meetings and sees who can come up with the most ridiculous articles.

Diarrhea like this is why they are bleeding subscribers left and right.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join