It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UAE bans Guy Fawkes mask

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Via BlacklistedNews.com, Via Daily Dot.com

If you’re a member of hacking group Anonymous, it’s now illegal to show your face in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Dubai police have declared the Guy Fawkes mask, the disguise most strongly associated with Anonymous, illegal. Police issued a warning was issued to anyone considering wearing the mask ahead of the UAE’s National Day on Dec. 2. They claim it symbolizes resistance to state authority.

*Hey Folks! Been awhile since i posted anything and I came across this and thought it was interesting. Obviously there is much more going on in the ME right now, and I'm sure more if you are concerned about that stuff, but I thought this was interesting and worth posting*

So, it should come as no suprise that the UAE is banning these masks. I mean, they do infringe on personal freedoms, ban many things and restrict other freedoms that other areas of the world enjoy. IE, "resistance to state authority".. just shows you what kind of government and tyranny these folks live under

“Using any symbol that insults the country or instigates unrest against its system is not allowed,” Gulf News cites an official as saying. “We urge citizens to celebrate using other symbols such as national flags, slogans or photos that are more appropriate to the happy occasion of National Day.”

A large amount of masks decorated with the colors of the UAE flag and the number 41, a reference to this year’s 41st National Day, have cropped up on online stores, where they’re being sold for around $13. Gulf News reports that several Dubai markets and stores are selling them too.

Interesting. I wonder what happens if someone gets caught wearing one of these masks?! Jail, im sure... and most likely it would be secret to keep any media away from it.

Anyways, not a crazy-ass story but thought it was interesting

Thoughts?!

Related ATS thread: Is there a Guy Fawkes conspiracy in the Middle East?,
edit on 11/19/2012 by Nspekta because: added ATS thread

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Hopefully this will just provoke even more people to wear it and show just how much they think of "state authority"..

That's pretty much how it went down in the film, they were warned not to march and wear masks, so everyone did.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This just tells me that governments are running scared at this point. Really, banning one particular mask because you think it represents resistance, lol. I can't say much, here in Canada if you wear a mask during a protest march (peaceful or not) you can get arrested. This clearly shows that governments around the world fear their respective populations and are looking for anything they can do to (in their minds) put down protests, even if these laws sound completely and utterly ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Why would the UAE let you use a mask that represents a jesuit that tried to kill a king..

(btw... britain celebrates his failure, not any accomplishment...)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Not for nothing, but Ron Paul supporters revived Guy Fawkes and the mask during the 2007 anti-Bush/anti-government rallies.

Even the money bombs were held on November 5th:

The plan was to blow up the House of Lords during the State Opening of England's Parliament on 5 November 1605

edit on 19-11-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Am I the only one who thinks that 1 film "V for Vendetta" is amazing for spawning a whole revolution of people that want freedom, and anonymity.

Sure it wasn't just the film, but the film did create the face of the movement....

As a Londoner I'm sure Guye Fawkes would be proud, with this type of power to the people mentality!
edit on 19-11-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
looks like the UAE is poking the hornets nest known as Anonymous

top topics

join