CNN Breaking Poll: Americans Support Israel 4x More Than Palestinians

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

CNN BREAKING NEWS textbreakingnews@ema3lsv06.turner.com

More than four times as many Americans, 59%, sympathize with the Israelis compared with those who sympathize with the Palestinians, 13%, in the ongoing conflict in the Middle East, according to a new CNN/ORC International poll released today.

In the survey, 57% also said that Israeli military action in the Gaza strip was justified, compared to 24% who said it was unjustified. Three out of four U.S. Republicans thought the Israeli action was justified, compared to 41% of Democrats and 59% of Independents. The poll has a sampling error of plus or minus 3%.

For more on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, watch CNN TV or go to CNN.com.

I honestly figured it would be much high for Palestinian support, with all the Internet and Media push showing the utter destruction and death of the Children in Gaza.

You know 50% of the population of Gaza is under 15? That's unheard of anywhere else in the world.
edit on 19-11-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
media propaganda monopoly

its our official position to support isreal
but starting every news report with.."we support isreal...though they just killed 12 children...they have a right"

tut tut
edit on 19-11-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Obama supports Israel, so there is 51% that wouldnt question the war crimes. Add another 24% of Evangelical Christians from the GOP who think they will be rewarded in heaven for backing this and you have a 3 to 1 majority

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
So a news channel that supports Israel puts out a survey that THEY conducted to show that most Americans support Israel ?

Sounds impartial to me.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
American support ignorance x4 over knowledge.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
American's are deeply religious compared to the rest of the western world. The particular brand of religious fervor here proclaims if you do not support Israel then God will curse you. It is also proclaimed that Israel must be resettled by the Jews in order for Jesus to come back.

Yes, prophecies that can't be proven are what is controlling public policy and opinion. Scary isn't it?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by eagleeye2

Yeah because people who don't agree with your viewpoint are ignorant. I remember in middle school calling people names when they didn't agree with me, I don't do that anymore because.......I'm an adult. Did it ever occur to you that most Americans support Israel simply because our or cultures are very similar compared to the Palestinians? I loathe Jewish multiculturalism and Bolshevism but I'll side with Israel any day of the week. Why don't the Palestinians demand their land back from jordan?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

CNN BREAKING NEWS textbreakingnews@ema3lsv06.turner.com

More than four times as many Americans, 59%, sympathize with the Israelis compared with those who sympathize with the Palestinians, 13%, in the ongoing conflict in the Middle East, according to a new CNN/ORC International poll released today.

In the survey, 57% also said that Israeli military action in the Gaza strip was justified, compared to 24% who said it was unjustified. Three out of four U.S. Republicans thought the Israeli action was justified, compared to 41% of Democrats and 59% of Independents. The poll has a sampling error of plus or minus 3%.

For more on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, watch CNN TV or go to CNN.com.

I honestly figured it would be much high for Palestinian support, with all the Internet and Media push showing the utter destruction and death of the Children in Gaza.

You know 50% of the population of Gaza is under 15? That's unheard of anywhere else in the world.
edit on 19-11-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

I think the people of the United States are less likely to trust what the Palestinians say because they have been caught WAY too many times lying.

Now... I'm sure that very bad things do happen as is the nature of war but I think that you really screw your credibility and cause when you lie to get more sympathy.
edit on 19-11-2012 by 11235813213455 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

None of the Americans I know support Israel.. Of course I hang out with a smarter breed than most. Don't worry too much. The smart ones are starting to make in roads. The inertia is in our favor. I am sure those numbers are wrong however.

Why do people constantly post news stories by powers with agendas and then think the stories are completely valid?

ATS should have taught you guys long ago they lie about Americans to you guys, and then lie to us about everything.. Meanwhile great changes are taking place here. Americans don't support unjustified death. If they could accept the truth that all these deaths have little justification then they would not support it at all.

You guys don't get that if American's were told the truth they would do the right thing? We are all about that. That's were American pride comes from that Europeans hate on all the time. People think it's dumb pride, but it's a human pride that can only come from high morality. Trust me when they, and they is mostly the more religious in America, figure out who the real good guys are the real bad guys will have the worst hell to pay.

edit on 11/19/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
While I can still entertain discussions about geopolitics, I must state the obvious

That the vast majority of opinions or statements that are being made by both sides of the debate appear to be based on information that is fundamentally flawed. Quasi facts perpetuated by global media, making gross overgeneralizations, skewing the truth to create false senses of morality, generate consensus towards aggression pro and anti Israel since they feed off each other.

Its mostly fiction in my estimation. Disinformation and misinformation devised to create a really interesting fiction we call politics. Its a lot like soft mind control through subliminal suggestion.

If you want my professional advice, I suggest stepping back from your emotions which are being manipulated by this propaganda, and question its authenticity and its veracity. Question your own knee jerk mental reactions.

Try and step outside the box for a new fresh perspective.
edit on 19-11-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
My BS alarm went off immediately when I read that so many more Americans support Israel over Palestine. I think it's probably true that more support Israel than Palestine, but not by such a wide margin.

In any case this situation in Gaza is just more evidence that all the Geneva Convention crap that I was taught in boot camp is totally irrelevant now. Escalation and proportion of force is obviously out the _

Palestinians throw rocks, Israelis throw grenades. Palestinians damage buildings, Israelis bulldoze neighborhoods. Palestinians shoot rockets, Israelis deploy missiles.

I understand the need for self-defense in Israel. There certainly are a group of "terrorists" that pose a real threat, but I reject the notion that the Israeli "self-defense" actions are in any way proportional, justified or even oriented toward the proper demographics in Palestine.

IMO the real root of the problem is the structural violence against Palestinians, which ensures that Palestinians will always be pissed off, and Israelis will always have to deal with terrorism. It's almost like someone wants it that way...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

exactly.. I wish I could articulate better.. English seems like a second language to me sometimes..

Originally posted by wagnificent

IMO the real root of the problem is the structural violence against Palestinians, which ensures that Palestinians will always be pissed off, and Israelis will always have to deal with terrorism. It's almost like someone wants it that way...

yes almost hahaha...
leave people in peace too long and they will look for true enemies of humanity to vanquish like ignorance and poverty..

I'm American. I side with Love and life and the pursuit of happiness. I side with Palestine for the moment. I do not side with Hamas or Israel. I do side with the Israeli people and the Palestinian people to a large degree, minus the fanatics..

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Maybe it's just me, but I think CNN has presented unbiased coverage thus far. I watched Piers Morgan on the weekend, and he asked the Israeli Ambassador some hard hitting questions about issues that are raised quite often here on ATS. Furthermore, CNN has gone out of their way to bring in Palestinian representatives to present their side of the story, and they have provided extensive coverage of the tragic civilian lives lost in Gaza.

I'm actually surprised by the results of the poll, but perhaps more people have taken the time to learn about the the underlying pathology that is the root cause of this conflict, and the real obstacles to peace in the region.

I don't agree with all the decisions that have been made by the Israeli government, but in this particular case, I think they have been forced into a no win situation as far as the optics are concerned, given the circumstances.
edit on 19-11-2012 by Humanity4Ever because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Humanity4Ever

I don't agree with all the decisions that have been made by the Israeli government, but in this particular case, I think they have been forced into a no win situation as far as the optics are concerned, given the circumstances.
edit on 19-11-2012 by Humanity4Ever because: (no reason given)

They put themselves into this spot by trying to cheat others...
You don't ever get away with anything.

If I was in the same position I would be acting in broadly differing ways.

If Hamas is so bad and Israel is so good then it should have been easy in the last 10 years for Israel to help the palestinians enough to where they would resist Hamas, not take care of them. Instead Hamas is the lesser of two evils. (in their perception I mean, not mine)

The propaganda is strong in the western world as in the far east, and middle east... If I had not read books about syria and Palestinians when I was in elementary school I wouldn't have known they were people just like me. The media teaches me they are muslims or arabs or persians or terrorists, or insergants or whatever else, but they hardly ever call them people.

Again I side with life..

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

I'm American. I side with Love and life and the pursuit of happiness.

I do side with the Israeli people and the Palestinian people to a large degree, minus the fanatics..

I generally try not to pick sides, and I am generally wary of organizations (governments and political groups especially). I sympathize with both the Israeli people and the Palestinian people because they are the ones being caught up in the middle of this situation, and they are the ones who are facing the consequences of all the chest-thumping.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
There is a sizeable population here in the US that is automatically on the side of Israel because it's Bible Land, where Jesus was born.

I know plenty of people out here, good salt o' the earth folks, who call themselves "Hebrew Christians". They actually are waiting for the apocalypse, for the Dome of The Rock to be destroyed, so Solomon's temple can be rebuilt, and that's where Jesus will show up and reign. They are ready for it, they have provisions and bug-out places on the US / Mexico border, where they can leave the US and catch a boat to the Promised Land, so they can live where Jesus does.

They ACTUALLY think this way. I have been told this by them.

In their mind, if you don't support Israel, God will punish you and send you to hell. Whatever Israel does, God must like it. Their thinking is literally this simplistic.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard this crazy stuff. But yeah.....there are enough of them out there. Plus there are just your run of the mill Christians who are trying to ride on the coattails of God's Chosen People up to Heaven.

This survey must have been done in the Bible Belt.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
meh

The poll is correct.

You guys spend too much time in conspiracy forums and honestly as much as I enjoy them myself 99% of what is posted works out to be tripe, nonsense, utter bs, just plain stupid very often.

There is a far end Liberal spectrum that cares when people hold up war pictures and bleeds at all bloodshed anywhere and a far right end that is very storm front by ideology and just doesn't like jews and in these forums those people can sometimes account for 50% of the posting population but in the real world they account for very little of the American population.

Most Americans don't like Islam, that's the bottom line, women don't like veils, as religious as some of america is this last election shows nearly half of us are down right Atheist and the converting religion Looses big time to the isolated one in that regard most Americans do NOT have Jews showing up in large numbers of the religious variety that doesn't assimilate but most American DO have Mosques popping up and the Islamic keep to themselves and are seen as a threat...

The average American will never side with Islam over Israel there is no reality to any movement or anything else Americans don't like Nazis and they don't like Hippie causes either and Palestinian support on the left involves mainly the "no bloodshed" philosophy and I hate to say it but... we are basically a meat eating butt kicking sort of people overall, Palestinian support is isolated to far right nuts who hate Jews and far left hipster 18-25 yr olds who want a cause for human rights to harp on no one else gives a crap

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Just sayin... there is an old saying "If your not Liberal when your 18 you have no heart... If your not Conservative when your 40 you have no brain"

The plight taken up at the sight of war deaths is always there in youth it gives way to self protection once people have kids of their own and mouths to feed to a more rational policy of "let the bigger threat to MY kids bite it" realistically the religion and people who do NOT convert by force gets the hand down win in that regard and like every generation over the last century when this demographic reaches a certain age 3/4 will no longer care about the plight of the loosing side.... sad but true

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Lets also remember that Americans are not generally the most educated or aware when it comes to what is happening outside of their borders.

I can guarantee that 90% of those polled probably wouldn't be able to point to Gaza on a map without labels.

CNN might as well be asking a toddler for an opinion on the Fiscal Cliff for all the sense they'll get.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Lets also remember that Americans are not generally the most educated or aware when it comes to what is happening outside of their borders.

I can guarantee that 90% of those polled probably wouldn't be able to point to Gaza on a map without labels.

CNN might as well be asking a toddler for an opinion on the Fiscal Cliff for all the sense they'll get.

You know there is reality to a fair number of Americans being out of the loop, realistically I don't think it's so much "stupidity" in a raw form as we work a lot, I put in 15 hr days most days, I personally MAKE the time to study because it's fun to me i'm a big nerd but yeah a lot of America are doers more than thinkers on topics that don't concern them in daily life so I have never liked the stupid American label in that regard the same guy who doesn't know or care where Gaza is can often rebuild an engine blindfolded while working the BBQ for 17 people and have the steaks turn out perfect so "stupid" in these regards is subjective to be fair I think Americans mainly don't give a damn is far more appropriate in all reality

Does this situation concern us?

Israel cld be a serious threat if we turn on them but any action of that nature comes at the hands of "Govurmint" and well mainly we don't like the "Govurmint" and none of the "werkin man" sect likes "towel heads" why "because they don't like beer and wimen" that's why

seriously... jokes aside...

Only our Government has made this our concern in all reality we have no reason to be involved there would be zero concern to a typical American if not for us sticking our noses where collectively they don't belong in the first place so why "know" much about it?

The typical redneck has it right sometimes the stupid are wise...

"it ain't none of our business"

Any cop will tell you getting involved in a domestic violence dispute is dangerous as all hell... and that's what this is, it's that crappy house on the corner where someone is going to get killed one day and everyone knows it and nothing can be done to stop it until it's over.

To place Knowledge of this dispute as important would in essence be the same as going to that house on the corner and trying to debate rationally who screwed the others best friend first and why they are both on crack... someone is going to die there isn't anything more you need to know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join