It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory civil service to boost education and reduce crime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
What does ATS feel about requiring all able bodied males and females ages 18-30 to serve a civil service duty for 4 years. Now I'm not saying it has to be military service but any civil service like police, fire fighter, teacher, logistics, medical, and others. Once a person graduates high school which will be required they will choose a field that suites their interest, instead of uncle Sam saying you must do this "needs of the service first" you get to chose a path that you want.

If someone wants to be a doctor or another education extensive occupation you can delay service till you get your degrees then you do your time as a doctor. In exchange for your four years you get a structured pay when you are needed, free education, first in line for jobs in your field and other benefits.

Isreal does it because of so few people and it works out well for them but not on a scale like this.

I feel this idea will keep lazy people from being lazy and it will stomp out racism and crime amoung young adults. Give the richest of the rich and the poorest of the poor a fair shot at their dreams. In today's society you can't become a doctor unless you can afford to be one no matter how much passion for the job you have.

There is a lot more that can be done with the idea but you guys get the jist. Don't give people the chance to get caught up in drugs and crime from all over America.

But then some will argue about free will. My answer to that is if you really love your country to spend 4 years helping in times of need like disasters is a no question.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
What does ATS feel about requiring all able bodied males and females ages 18-30 to serve a civil service duty for 4 years. Now I'm not saying it has to be military service but any civil service like police, fire fighter, teacher, logistics, medical, and others. Once a person graduates high school which will be required they will choose a field that suites their interest, instead of uncle Sam saying you must do this "needs of the service first" you get to chose a path that you want.

If someone wants to be a doctor or another education extensive occupation you can delay service till you get your degrees then you do your time as a doctor. In exchange for your four years you get a structured pay when you are needed, free education, first in line for jobs in your field and other benefits.

Isreal does it because of so few people and it works out well for them but not on a scale like this.

I feel this idea will keep lazy people from being lazy and it will stomp out racism and crime amoung young adults. Give the richest of the rich and the poorest of the poor a fair shot at their dreams. In today's society you can't become a doctor unless you can afford to be one no matter how much passion for the job you have.

There is a lot more that can be done with the idea but you guys get the jist. Don't give people the chance to get caught up in drugs and crime from all over America.

But then some will argue about free will. My answer to that is if you really love your country to spend 4 years helping in times of need like disasters is a no question.

I'm against anything that requires force of will...and I mean absolutely everything. If it isn't voluntary it shouldn't be happening. That rule changes slightly as a convicted criminal but even then it depends on the crime...
edit on 19-11-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The only one you listed, that doesn't require at least a basic college education is military. At least in NY, maybe not firemen, never looked into that one.
edit on Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:21:41 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

Um NO WAY IN HELL would I ever want to do this.

Sorry why should we? We aren't friggin Israel. What works for one doesn't always work for the other.

I have better things to do with 4yrs than serve for something i don't agree with.

And just because someone does any kind of civil service it doesn't mean they are immune to becoming addicts or criminals later one.

Seriously. People in the military or civil service aren't saints, they are people and people are NOT perfect!
edit on 11/19/2012 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
If all able bodied males will be working civil jobs, then who will cook our food? I don't think woman will like the idea that they will forever be housewives.

edit on 11/19/2012 by mcx1942 because: grammer

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mcx1942
If all able bodied males will be working civil jobs, then who will cook our food. I don't think woman will like the idea that they will forever be housewives.

Pay me a nice salary and I'll cook for everyone

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It's not "required", but it exists

www.americorps.gov...

I did two years

Clinton started it, bush gutted it, now it's making a comeback

The AmeriCorps Pledge

I will get things done for America -
to make our people safer,
smarter, and healthier.

I will bring Americans together
to strengthen our communities.

Faced with apathy,
I will take action.

Faced with conflict,
I will seek common ground.

Faced with adversity,
I will persevere.

I will carry this commitment
with me this year and beyond.

I am an AmeriCorps member,
and I will get things done.

edit on 19-11-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think it's a good idea, to be honest.

I've often said the UK could do with some kind of compulsory service to teach the youngsters good civic values and behaviour...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Um NO WAY IN HELL would I ever want to do this.

Sorry why should we? We aren't friggin Israel. What works for one doesn't always work for the other.

I have better things to do with 4yrs than serve for something i don't agree with.

And just because someone does any kind of civil service it doesn't mean they are immune to becoming addicts or criminals later one.

Seriously. People in the military or civil service aren't saints, they are people and people are NOT perfect!
edit on 11/19/2012 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

If you don't agree with America why do you live here?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I don't like government controlled mandatory anything. They are too much into everyone's business as it is. Let's go with the hypothetical that this was being considered, how about instead of doing this they take that extra initiative and $$$ and time and do something, anything, to improve the quality of primary and secondary education in this country. Start at the beginning, get that right, and then you don't have to try bandaids and ducktape and bailing wire to fix the mess you created in the first place.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Lol.... What you are describing isn't america. A lot of smart people that plan on going to college, do community service already, it looks great on college applications. It also looks great on job applications as well.
edit on Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:44:22 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Will this government service begin with a bootcamp of sorts? Sounds like the perfect opportunity for re-education camps for the young.

Maybe do like Switzerland and train them all to use a gun and defend the countries borders.

Sure... do it.

What could possibly go wrong?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Lol.... What you are describing isn't america. A lot of smart people that plan on going to college, do community service already, it looks great on college applications. It also looks great on job applications as well.
edit on Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:44:22 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Actually, with No Child Left Behind (which is absolutely horrible on multiple levels but does have a few "good parts") A certain degree of Community Service is required. ....or maybe that's one of the state requirements, I forget...

Clubs/Organizations the kids belong to also require a certain amount of community service as well. The Beta Club (academic excellence based/mostly southern states), for example, requires a certain number of hours for membership, as do many others.

new topics

top topics

join