It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are the Truly Humble?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
How can true humility exist without honesty? What more basic criterion is there? Why are beliefs far too often given equal weight to facts? How can a self-righteous, doctrinaire religious (enough) person possibly be humble at the same time, when they don't have enough essential honesty to be convincingly so?

In a civilized enough political world, people who use words, literally or to the effect of "God's Will" are among the first in line of the most dishonest, except of course for those of us who have managed to guess said Will, or in so many words, most essentially right - or perhaps close enough.

Why are those like me who are unable to outright worship anyone or anything - yet have a healthy enough spiritual connection in my case, thank you very much - too often considered lacking in humility?

Again"devil worship" will always be a redundancy in my book.

In a worst case scenario, there really is a single most powerfully unseen being (at least on this planet and presumably solar system) who/that controls the existing (corrupt) political world. Assuming he, she or it actually requires or in any way wants worship, all the dupes willing and unwitting alike are doing is feeding an astronomically huge and out of control ego, nothing more. It's all flash and drama, no substance.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
humility isn't thinking less of one's self...it's thinking of one's self less...just btw
strangely enough
those who proclaim it are the farthest from it
yes honesty and depth of it determines such level of humility a person can achieve
edit on 19-11-2012 by lasvegasteddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Carl Sagan was a humble man. We should all be more like him.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Lightworth

Humility to me is looking at the wonders of this planet and knowing no matter how developed we may be, no matter what we learn here, we pale in comparison to the feat of nature and are nothing but a speck on the horizon.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jauk3
i'm probably not educated enough to agree with this video presentation of humility

you see i was schooled to believe humility isn't applied to mankind's size in the scope of it all
probably one of our most defining attributes depending on our level we achieve
2 examples that hit that spot to me are herein

sister ignatia...
devout in service to others...acknowledged for her work in St. Thomas Hospital in 1935
she gave her all to those suffering from alcoholism as her life's purpose
when asked if she could be acknowledged for her work...she smiled and said (something to the effect of)
"you silly guys still don't get it...there is nothing i do...i am merely but a tool used by a loving god"

Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simon
upon his final years was asked if he had any regrets of life before he passed
he said something to the effect of..."i only wish i had more time to do more works"

to me...that best coins that beautiful word humility truly
not humble size but being "one who mattered for others"

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Anyone who claims to be better than anyone else for any reason, lacks true humility, because, to be humble is to put everyone before yourself - it is altruism, sacrifice, putting yourself as last before ALL others....

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lightworth

The True Religion is that of Virtue. That was taught by a Man named Jesus Christ. What is the matter with believing in God, the Source of Virtue?

It rings closer to the Truth in me than agnosticism.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Humility has zilch to do with religion, but religion would assume to be the standard bearer of such a noble trait.

Bah.

Humility is knowing when to keep your mouth shut, but also knowing when it's time to shout out. Also, it's to know when to step back and when to step up.

It depends on another noble trait... empathy.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Anyone who claims to be better than anyone else for any reason, lacks true humility, because, to be humble is to put everyone before yourself - it is altruism, sacrifice, putting yourself as last before ALL others....

"To be humble is to put everyone before yourself" I disagree, even when a "pastor" was saying the same thing, I disagreed.

new topics

top topics

join