It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15th Century "Sky Ship" Story.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Hey ATS'ers, hope the searching for answers is progressing well and your quest for enlightenment is fruitful. Been doing a lot of random searching these days in order to ease my boredom and I came across this amazing story which has me very intrigued, additionally if anyone has heard this before and knows more, please add to the thread. I also made a connection with something I spotted a while back.

Now, first of all, there was a thread posted on ATS a few months back, by a guy trying (and failing imo) to debunk ancient UFO art. One of the paintings that he used was this which was painted in the 15th century:

Now, one of my counter arguments was that this reminded me of a sailing vessel in the sky, I stand by that:

To throw something else into this mix, I stumbled across this amazing story from around 1200AD:

In 1211AD Gervase of Tilbury recorded a strange event in the borough of Clorea in Ireland. During a Sunday Mass at the church of St Kinarus in the borough of Cloera, an anchor was seen to descend from the sky and hook on to the church door.

The parishioners watched as a man seemed to swim down to the anchor from a 'sky ship' to try and release it. The local Bishop stopped the people from capturing him and he 'swam' back up to the ship, cut the rope and the ship sailed away. The anchor is said to have been kept within the church.

Apparently this story has been attributed to other places also:

The exact same story has been attributed to a number of other places including Gravesend in Kent, and Bristol in Somerset in the same year. It seems unlikely that the same event would occur (you would think that the crew would have got wise to dropping anchor near churches). Other sources suggest that the Cloera tale dates from 965AD and appeared in the 'Speculum Regale' which is a Norse-Irish collection of Icelandic saga. This tangled web of information needs further research, but the story is remains intriguing.

Link to this here www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk...

Maybe all of this is coincidence, but I am convinced that whoever painted that painting seen a "sky ship" and was trying to convey it in their art. As I said, maybe it's coincidence, but you can decide for yourself.
edit on 19-11-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Cool thread im into this kind of stuff myself. Thank you for posting.

These type of events have happened throughout recorded history. One has to wonder if there is something to it.
edit on 19-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
After looking up the story a bit it looks to be filled with lies. For example, the event recorded by Gervase did not happen in Ireland, and there is no place called Cloera or Clorea in Ireland, and actually any search of Cloera or Clorea brings me to this story, meaning there is no such place as Cloera or Clorea.

Another discrepancy is that the event recorded by Gervase was actually recorded in, obviously, Tilbury. But the same event shows up only in UFO circles to also have occured in 3 other places. There is also no evidence that points to this ever happening.

Finally, reading up on Gervase, many of stories or 'recollections' appear to be tall tales. His stories look like things straight out of a disney film. Matter of fact, someone should make a movie about his travels. It'll definitely rank bank.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Your skepticism is noted mate

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Reminds me of stories like the sky battle of Nuremberg.
Or others listed in this thread from zorgon. (Still wonder over his ban sometimes).

Also in the arts there are more than just the one you posted.
Interesting tale you bring up here, thanks.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Search function?

There's been some thorough discussion on certain stylistic trappings that are predictably seen and expected in Byzantine, and other period art.

Here's one discussion from 2006

Below is a video that discusses the painting you're targeting among others:

It's nice to believe, and all, but, this is old news, and thoroughly quashed, except where those who like to believe will believe irrationally in spite of and contrary to all sane, rational, and practical evidence in opposition of their belief.

*sigh*

edit on 19-11-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Druscilla, good to see you keeping it real mate. As always.

Yes, this story has indeed been discussed many times. Many would suggest looking purely at the painting that it is nothing more than a stylized sun. No ufo, or sky ship.

Sometimes the most mundane answer tend to be the most correct one indeed.

vvv
edit on 19-11-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Movhisattva
Or others listed in this thread from zorgon. (Still wonder over his ban sometimes).

I know that mate, but it was the "sky ship" aspect that I was focusing on.

I'm quite aware of the different views on this and other ancient "UFO" artworks, this thread is just like a personal observation, food for thought if you like.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Very neat, thanks!

I'm pretty convinced that there is "something out there." I can't say for sure on the stories validity of course but I often think that people in the old, old days may have been more open as a whole to what we consider strange/magical/paranormal phenomenon even if they didn't understand it. (Not that we understand everything either even though we sometimes like to think we do, lol)

I really find all of the paintings with apparent "Sky Ships" to be very interesting.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

Originally posted by Movhisattva

I know that mate, but it was the "sky ship" aspect that I was focusing on.

I'm quite aware of the different views on this and other ancient "UFO" artworks, this thread is just like a personal observation, food for thought if you like.

It's classical symbolism for the manifestation of God. It's a biblical scene. There is an excellent reference site for this and other artwork from the same period which explains such symbols. If I can find the link in one of my previous posts I'll add it later, unless anyone on the thread recalls it?

EDIT: Here you go...

www.sprezzatura.it...

edit on 19-11-2012 by something wicked because: added link

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

wait these stories are all from england??

HOAX LOL

and by hoax i mean, this did not really happen.

edit on 19-11-2012 by 0mage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The "Sky Ship" is one of my favorite motifs. It was transplanted to the American West in the 19th Century. In that version, the anchor gets snared on a railroad rail. That people repeat this story in many locations, presumably without knowing of its medieval, or possibly even classical, origins is one of the more intriguing aspects of UFOlogy.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Old topic but always interesting.

The "Ufos" were here from long long time ago....

The ancient artists have depicted them in the religious masterpieces....

Clouds with a ...dome...

This means that "they" are not a threat for us, but probably our last hope.

And that Our threat is our fear and ignorance sometime masked like skepticism.
S&F.

edit on 19-11-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

This means that "they" are not a threat for us. Our threat is our fear and ignorance sometime masked like skepticism.
S&F.

......... Or to look at it more realistically, 'we now see UFOs in everything because we don't bother to spend the time to look at the artwork and understand it in context of when and why it was created. We are too lazy to carry out such basic due diligence because we get all of our facts from Ancient Aliens which even though it is mainstream, it must be true because it conforms to our beliefs.'

You could try and actually understand the context of this artwork a little more if you don't mind your closely shielded belief system being challenged though...

www.sprezzatura.it...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The ancient artists have depicted them in the religious masterpieces....

Clouds with a ...dome...

This means that "they" are not a threat for us, but probably our last hope.

And that Our threat is our fear and ignorance sometime masked like skepticism.
S&F.

No they haven't, it's all representing God or other aspects of the Christian faith in a manner in keeping with the time in which they were painted. Looking at them from the 21st century with a bias towards belief in extra terristrial life, people see what they want to believe. And the cloud one is a really desparate one as it's clearly showing a lenticular cloud.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

Not so simple, my dear skeptic friend. Not so simple at all.

Everitime you watch a masterpiece, you always must ask yourself what is hidden inside that.

Ancient Artists were not closed minds like many pseudo skeptics....

Most of them were scholars in exoteric disciplines.

And seems that all of the ancient artists have a Special Private Club of the "Lenticular Clouds"

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Yes, it's an old topic and yes, there's generally 2 groups, the ones who refuse to believe and those who can see "something" in these ancient works. The cloud theory in relation to the ancient UFOs is absolutely ridiculous imo

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

reply to post by something wicked

Not so simple, my dear skeptic friend. Not so simple at all.

Everitime you watch a masterpiece, you always must ask yourself what is hidden inside that.

Ancient Artists were not closed minds like many pseudo skeptics....

Most of them were scholars in exoteric disciplines.

And seems that all of the ancient artists have a Special Private Club of the "Lenticular Clouds"

And they weren't so open minded they thought that if they projected their opinions hard enough that would make them true.

Do you by any chance mean esoteric? You do know that these paintings were commissioned by various churches, religious figures etc. don't you? You do know that there would have been a clear remit as to what the artwork should depict, including the manifestation of God looking down on the scene?

You actually don't know that do you, you appear to think these artists were painting something they had seen, and you think that because it's easier to believe what you want rather than do any real research.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Yes, it's an old topic and yes, there's generally 2 groups, the ones who refuse to believe and those who can see "something" in these ancient works. The cloud theory in relation to the ancient UFOs is absolutely ridiculous imo

It's a lenticular cloud - can you not see that? I find it absolutely amazing that when these paintings show scenes from the bible, clearly meant to depict God, you think it's people who don't see them as UFOs as non believers!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

It's a lenticular cloud - can you not see that? I find it absolutely amazing that when these paintings show scenes from the bible, clearly meant to depict God, you think it's people who don't see them as UFOs as non believers!!!!!!!!

You're making me laugh more mate, there's no way the object in the painting I posted is a cloud and nor does it depict God (as christians know it). I also never made your last claim, even people who disagree with me on the UFOs in ancient artwork can still believe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join