It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep space MANNED exploration a possibility by the end of the deacde!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris
Personally I think it's a bad idea.

I can just picture this:

2022: US Orion Spaceship sets off and gets as far as the edge of the solar system,

During that next 10 years or so some new exotic propulsion system is developed and another team are sent out and reach them in about 20 days.....

US Orion Spaceship Mark II tells Mark I: "You can go home now we've got it from here"

Originally posted by MysterX
I've often thought that Chris :-)

Set out on a hundred year generational starship...sit in a cramped ship for 70 years or so, only to be met by another more advanced ship that set off to catch you 20 minutes earlier...oh...dear.

That story's been done: Time for the Stars
A good yarn, written more than 50 years ago.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Very cool.

When I first saw ORION, as I always do, I first thought of the nuclear bomb detonation pulse propulsion covered under Project Orion

How would you like to go for a ride on one of THOSE?

Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom!

You'd never have to worry about tailgate drivers in space with a propulsion system like that.

"God was knocking, and he wanted in BAD."
"Footfall" -- Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I support it if it has an economic purpose and so can pay for itself. Like mining an asteroid or mining the moon for rare metals or exotics. Otherwise, we can do it a lot cheaper ummanned.

Here's a company that's interested in mining asteroids:
www.planetaryresources.com...

I believe we need economic reasons to travel into near space. We've already explored it with telescopes and probes. Even Columbus had an economic reason for exploring.

These're the ways you accomplish great things:
1) More money; Exploitation; Economy.
2) Do or die; War!
3) Religious; It's God's will.

We need to pick one of those thigns if we want to enter space in a big way.
edit on 19-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
A suicide mission?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Not a debate guys!

Just posting what's their. Who knows what will happen between now and then. Being interested in science I follow a lot of the new sources of energy able to accomplish these missions. Eg Ion propulsion. I'll tell you now that the probes going to mars now could get there a lot quicker using technology that is available.

I really just wanted this to be for people who are interested, and can genuinely appreciate the fact that even getting humans to mars is a huge success. And Some people have definitely already commented. Others think it's not a big deal...

When you have developed your own space agency and own technology more capable of sending people into space I will agree to your disappointment.

In the mean time I am EXCITED

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AdventureTime

I do not understand. I think I'm missing something. USA (and EU?) are in massive debt. BUT, we have the money for space exploration. Now don't get me wrong, I believe space has to be explored. We should explore the entire earth first, imo.

A common tactic for resolving financial problems throughout human history has been exploiting a new area of resources. As far as investments go, I think space is as good as it gets. The potential for materials are endless, and development of tech to get out there can be applied to life on Earth.

I think whichever group becomes skilled in space travel/trade will be the one at the top of humanities economic scale in a century or two.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by themadnut
reply to post by Imtor

But if you realised the distance from here to Mars, you will see that perhaps Mars is a deep space destination.

Deep space in common meaning means, deep space, not the neighboring planet. Doesn't matter how many AUs or miles away it is...

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Imtor

I still think a a human trip to mars is exciting.
Just because it's neighboring planets, it is not to say there is no difficulty or major milestone reached.

Appreciate what they can achieve.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
if it has anything to do with NASA..

I'm flagging it as a HOAX

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join