It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Nanoparticle Halts Multiple Sclerosis, Diabetes, Asthma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Appears to be great news.

New nanoparticle halts multiple sclerosis, now being tested in Type 1 diabetes and asthma

In a breakthrough for nanotechnology and multiple sclerosis, a biodegradable nanoparticle turns out to be the perfect vehicle to stealthily deliver an antigen that tricks the immune system into stopping its attack on myelin and halt a model of relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis (MS) in mice, according to new Northwestern Medicine research.

"The new nanotechnology also can be applied to a variety of immune-mediated diseases including Type 1 diabetes, food allergies and airway allergies such as asthma."

"The holy grail is to develop a therapy that is specific to the pathological immune response, in this case the body attacking myelin," Miller added. "Our approach resets the immune system so it no longer attacks myelin but leaves the function of the normal immune system intact."

Say goodbye to autoimmune diseases.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

So the readily available FDA approved material comprising the nanoparticle remains nameless?

Naturlich.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann

So the readily available FDA approved material comprising the nanoparticle remains nameless?

Naturlich.

From the article:

In addition, these nanoparticles are made of a polymer called Poly(lactide-co-glycolide) (PLG), which consists of lactic acid and glycolic acid, both natural metabolites in the human body. PLG is most commonly used for biodegradable sutures. The fact that PLG is already FDA approved for other applications should facilitate translating the research to patients, Shea noted. Miller and Shea tested nanoparticles of various sizes and discovered that 500 nanometers was most effective at modulating the immune response.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Thank you...just a little blinded by lack of sugar, and 1 time explosive command conditioned abuse.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
That's a tall order. With there being more than 80 different types of autoimmune disorders, this could definitely have some potential. As a person whose been through anaphylactic shock (twice... haha), I'm interested in seeing the clinical studies being carried out.
So interesting.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I wonder if they can go further with this then, and halt ALS, Gullian Barre, and CIDP? SO many implications .

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
doesnt read as though its a one time hit and cures these diseases

so why would someone with asthma for instance, take this, over just using their inhalers?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The trouble is, it's curing the symptoms and not the cause.

Illness is like the body's "alert" system, to warn us that something isn't right and needs to be fixed. For every illness, there is an underlying cause, which, until it's resolved, will keep throwing out more warning signs in the form of other illnesses.

The pharmaceutical industry does not create cures, they create customers.

I don't think messing with the body's immune system is too wise either.

Dunno, just doesn't seem right to me.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by maintainright

Good question actually, but I just thought about one simple answer. Asthma patients have two types of inhalers, but often times (especially the younger children) misuse the medication that is supposed to be able to control the symptoms such as wheezing or even prevent hospitalization.
Unfortunately, kind of defeats the whole purpose if they aren't able to correctly use it.

Corticosteroids have to be taken on a regular basis to build up and be effective inside the body. However, it can take a couple weeks to reach this maximum, so there can't be this mindset where it's like, "I'll take this today and maybe next time in three." I guess if the news article has any truth, this could be a less complicated way? Haha, let's hope it can be eradicated in the future?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
So when can we expect to see this new treatment in action? i.e. when do ya think it would be available to the general public

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It seems that while this might have enormous potential, there is no curative/restorative properties. Take, for instance, Type 1 Diabetes. The disease is characterized by autoimmune destruction of beta islet cells. As a general rule, people aren't diagnosed until damage has occurred. However, it could prevent disease progression and therefore severity. Interesting find!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I wonder if the guy (girl) that invented sat radio is involved in this research. she took the millions of dollars she made off satellite radio and has been doing nanotechnology research. Does the OP know who is credited with this break through?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Great discovery. Too bad religious people will not take advantage of this and continue to resort to prayer and laying on hands. They wouldnt be hypocrites to go as far as denouncing science and then taking advantage of it while putting their biblically ordered, "tried and true" prayers/laying on hands aside, right?

Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
[Edit]

My bad. These are apparently two entirely different technological advances in the nanotech field.

* for those interested in the other thread/advance, it is Here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please resume the discussion, folks!

edit on 11/19/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

The galactics have nanotechnology which would astound not long to wait guys 4d not long

new topics

top topics

join