First Marine F-35B squadron receives first jet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Yeah its difficult if you're not used to seeing and hearing it. When I first heard it, I was like what the hell is that? lol
From what I've heard, the F-35 is going to be bad ass.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by c_sautter

The test program is throwing out some very interesting results. The reliability factor is significantly higher than any other fighter developed since probably the F-15, and it probably beats that as well. That's huge as far as operations go, if it holds up.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Quick test program update, since this is the most recent F-35 thread. AF-04 reached the planned AOA of 50 degrees in a test flight at Edwards AFB.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
50 degrees alpha is OK but not as good as a Flanker. I think the F-22 can do 60 degrees alpha.
I've seen the Su-27 Flanker do the cobra and tailslide at an airshow.

I'm starting to think the F-35 is outclassed in flight performance and weapons payload by third generation Flanker derivatives with supercruise, thrust vectoring, advanced jammers, IRST and counter stealth radars.

There have been significant technological advances in two metre band counter stealth radar, passive emitter locating systems, infrared sensors and high power-aperture X-band phased array radars. Moreover, DRFM jammers are proliferating, and Flankers now have the option of towed decoys like the KEDR, both diminishing the effectiveness of the AIM-120 AMRAAM which is to arm the Joint Strike Fighter. For all practical purposes, technological evolution has rendered the concept of the Joint Strike Fighter obsolete before it has even completed Flight Test or entered full rate production. This is a clear case of failed technological strategy on the part of the Joint Strike Fighter planning staff. It is now abundantly clear that the Joint Strike Fighter is not going to be viable in Beyond Visual Range air combat, just as it was clear from the outset that it would never be a serious player in Within Visual Range air combat. Improvements in the capability and number of internally carried missiles will not turn this problem around, since the opposing sensor and weapons capabilities will continue to evolve over time. The remarkable claims about Joint Strike Fighter air combat performance made recently by the program executives and manufacturer's public relations staff can be explained only if the cited simulations were conducted against 1980s Sukhoi variants, devoid of the capabilities of contemporary and future Flanker variants.

www.ausairpower.net...

This article explains how the best Flanker version could blow away the F-35. It all depends on the F-35's stealth, take that away and the F-35 is totally outclassed by the best Flanker versions.

The F-22 Raptor is currently the king but according to this the F-35 could be a dud. I hope that's not the case but it is certainly an interesting viewpoint.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JimTSpock

Except it's mission isn't to take on the Flanker or other fighters except as a last resort. It's like the Strike Eagle. GREAT bomb truck, only air to air kill I'm aware of, they dropped a bomb on a helo.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Australia is getting the F-35 and it will have to do air-to-air and air-to-ground. Hopefully the stealth technology is effective and it has a few tricks up it's sleeve in terms of sensors that are classified and we don't know about.
I know the F-22 has a highly advanced classified passive sensor suite and the F-35 probably has something similar.
IR and radar emissions can be detected, tracked and classified at long range from 360 degrees by the F-22 and F-35.
edit on 21-11-2012 by JimTSpock because: Clarified

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JimTSpock

The F-35 stealth is as good as or just slightly below the -22. As for IR and radar, both have suppression systems, and LPI radar.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Well that's encouraging news, considering what I've heard so far. I have a friend who is heading to the program so I'll see what I can find out.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I am ecstatic to hear such news. The F-35 will uplift not only the Yuma economy but also the spirits of those who inhabit the area around there. I remember many a late nights (relatively speaking, I was like 6) observing F-16's depart the MCAS in Yuma.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by c_sautter

From what I've heard, there is a horrible relationship between the Air Force and Lockmart, because Lockmart basically does what they want, and tosses threats around, etc, but the test program is really starting to go well in recent months.

They still don't have a working helmet, and there are major issues with ALIS, but the Marines have come up with a.....unique way to solve the ALIS problem for now, so they can fly the jet (it can't currently be flown operationally, because the classified side of ALIS is connected to the unclassified side, and can be hacked that way). The Marine solution is to separate the two with an "air bubble" as they describe it. So the unclassified side is separated from the classified side, until they can come up with a permanent solution.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Three aircraft were delivered to Yuma on November 20th. These three bring the Marine total to 16, 13 of which are at Eglin AFB being used to train pilots and maintenance personnel. A total of 20 F-35s have been delivered this year. The three delivered to Yuma are the first three operational coded B models to be delivered to the Marines.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Wow, it turns out that the first 33 aircraft (LRIP4 through 7) are going to be borderline useless until they get a software upgrade. They will be the only aircraft with the Block 2B software. They are limited to Mach 1.2, 5.5Gs, and internal weapons only, which does not include the AIM-9X, and for CAS the only usable weapon is the GBU-12.

new topics
top topics

<< 1   >>

join