It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You need God not preps

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
You need both.

Ever heard of the boat story?

The SHTF, and there was a huge flood. This guy was in his apartment praying to God for safety.

After the man's prayer, a man in a raincoat showed up on his porch. "Do you need help?" The raincoat man asked. "I have a boat and I'm here to pick up people stuck in their apartments.

"No thank you." The man said. "God is watching over me."

So the Raincoat man left.

A few minutes later, another man showed up at his apartment, a man in a suit.

"Do you need help?" The suited man asked. "My friends and I are using a survival raft to get down town and we have extra room. You can come with us."

"No thank you." The man responded. "God is watching over me."

So a while later, a woman arrived on his porch.

"My children and I have life jackets, and I have a couple to spare. Do you need help?" She asked. "The water is getting very high."

"No thank you." The man told her. "God is watching over me."

So, after the woman left, the man waited in the apartment for the flood to subside, but was shocked when the crack at the bottom of his front door began pouring water. His floor became one big puddle.

His door collapsed, and his apartment flooded. The man couldn't get out.

He drowned to death.

Point being--God is a lifeline for human beings. He's not going to extend a giant hand out of the sky and save you from all harm. He is the lifeline that moves us forward, that inspires us to prep, and fuels the good in humanity.

Serving God in blind faith won't get you everywhere. You can believe in God and be intelligent as well.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I am not religious, I do believe in God though.....but can't really stomach the anger that some people put out when someone is religious.

So what, if the person wants to pray - let them pray in peace. No skin off my back.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
I hate to sound like a religious person but the universal fact is that you need to get close with the Maker if you want any real chance of survival. He alone decides where you will be at the time TSHTF. For all you know you could be 1000 miles away from your stockpile and never reach it. What if you panic and you can't find your bug out bag. So many what if's and you cannot possible plan contingency for all of them. Even if you carry your bug out bag with you at all times what if you leave it in the the burger king bathroom? You have no idea what is coming down the river at all. What if that there is no big tragedy which you can use your skills and materials. and nothing happens for decades until the day God forbid you die. You will have wasted your life on nothingness. My suggestion is for a small prep bag and give the rest to charity. Your heart tells you that this is true.

the biggest dissapointment i have in life is that since there is no afterlife or god, i will never get to see the looks on peoples faces they would have when they die and find out there is no god. but of course i cant see that look on their faces and either can anyone else, cause there will be no look on their faces, because they will be dead and gone

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
I hate to sound like a religious person but the universal fact is that you need to get close with the Maker if you want any real chance of survival. He alone decides where you will be at the time TSHTF. For all you know you could be 1000 miles away from your stockpile and never reach it. What if you panic and you can't find your bug out bag. So many what if's and you cannot possible plan contingency for all of them. Even if you carry your bug out bag with you at all times what if you leave it in the the burger king bathroom? You have no idea what is coming down the river at all. What if that there is no big tragedy which you can use your skills and materials. and nothing happens for decades until the day God forbid you die. You will have wasted your life on nothingness. My suggestion is for a small prep bag and give the rest to charity. Your heart tells you that this is true.

Welll aren't you just a big ol bowl of happy! As far as I am concerned, God does not intervene in the screw ups of man. My god is not a 'he' and I believe that whenever our time happens to be that our god will be waiting for us most likely shaking their head and saying "really??"

I'm not worried, I'm not afraid, life happens, # happens, things come and go, and people live and die. Why stress over something that can't be changed anyway.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
edit on 11/19/2012 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: fixed it

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Can someone please tell me where this so-called God was on 9-11. What did those innocent people do on that day to deserve the fate they got. By the way. I was brought up in a religious family but never could buy into the hype even from a young age.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
I am not religious, I do believe in God though.....but can't really stomach the anger that some people put out when someone is religious.

So what, if the person wants to pray - let them pray in peace. No skin off my back.

I think people seem hateful not because someone is religious, but because of the way they put it out there. When people who are religious put it out there in a 'you need god or your going to hell' sort of a way. That high and mighty judgmental tone that reeks of arrogance and authority.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CT_Flyboy
Can someone please tell me where this so-called God was on 9-11. What did those innocent people do on that day to deserve the fate they got. By the way. I was brought up in a religious family but never could buy into the hype even from a young age.

I once heard someone explain that there are two different ideas of a god figure. There is the idea of an intervening god who picks and chooses who should live, die, suffer, prosper, hurt, not hurt, ect... And then there is the idea of a god of balance. The yin/yang idea I suppose or rather the idea that everything in the world has a balance and that the energy of that balance could be called a god. God is what keeps it all balanced out, but doesn't intervene.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

So let me get this streight.

If I am not with god when TSHTF, I will automatically be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

God hangs around in Burger King restrooms (umm should I trust a god that skulks in public toilets?).

God will bring me my bugout bag if I forget it.

If there's a 1000ft Tsunami hanging over my head, I'll be safe if I stop running to make high ground and get down on my knees to pray.

Did I get all that orrect?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
reply to post by pellian

So let me get this streight.

If I am not with god when TSHTF, I will automatically be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

God will bring me my bugout bag if I forget it.

Did I get all that orrect?

No but you could have been

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
last time I checked, whenever a religious community needed salvation by divine intervention, it was accomplished by some military force composed of individuals with equipment bearing and astounding resemblance to Prep gear.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa

Originally posted by CT_Flyboy

I once heard someone explain that there are two different ideas of a god figure. There is the idea of an intervening god who picks and chooses who should live, die, suffer, prosper, hurt, not hurt, ect... And then there is the idea of a god of balance. The yin/yang idea I suppose or rather the idea that everything in the world has a balance and that the energy of that balance could be called a god. God is what keeps it all balanced out, but doesn't intervene.

I think there is a 3rd kind of god, like an absentee parent or a lazy gardner. He plants the seeds and then goes on vacation and checks back in from time to time to see how things are going. Once in awhile he gets a wild hair and decides to cull some weeds or toss out a little fertilizer, but then its back to the beach again. Some of the plants in the garden are well-suited to thrive and overtake the others, but each time the drunk parent shows back up and kicks things around a little, the environment changes, and different plants become the dominant ones.

I could go on with this analogy forever, and no matter how creative you get with it, it still describes the state of affairs on earth much more accurately than holy book. Want to see what god is like, go listen to the stories at an AA meeting, or watch Judge Judy. Those folks doing the talking, not the Judge, not the facilitator, but the characters doing the talking, those are our gods.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

I believe in the balance, but I don't call it a god. I call it a divine principle. By divine principle, I mean a universal law of balance. It is a network, but not a conscious entity. It has system of direction, but not a will. And in order to judge someone or something, you have to be partial. It is impossible for something that is perfect and complete to be partial.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Op is right because you need God to survive death.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
i want to tell you nutjobs one thing. If it comes down to one of these scenarios that you have planned for I hope I do not survive. Wisdom tells me that I will be made to make some very dubious moral choices ones that will possible stain your soul. Would you want to be forced to leave behind your best friend because you don;t have room in your truck to go to a bug out? would you want to be forced to kill a child because he trespassed onto your property? I can think of a million reasons why in a true TSHTF situation it is better to be dead than alive. not counting the suffering and disease.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Then I don't need "God" because I don't want to survive death - or more accurately, AVOID death. See, if everyone is dying, then I might as well die too. Why would I want to be in a world where dying is easier than living?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by randyvs

Then I don't need "God" because I don't want to survive death - or more accurately, AVOID death. See, if everyone is dying, then I might as well die too. Why would I want to be in a world where dying is easier than living?

I like living so I choose life. Never death.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I like living so I choose life. Never death.

But life is so much more painful than death...and all you do in life is consume, consume, consume!!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider

I think there is a 3rd kind of god, like an absentee parent or a lazy gardner. He plants the seeds and then goes on vacation and checks back in from time to time to see how things are going. Once in awhile he gets a wild hair and decides to cull some weeds or toss out a little fertilizer, but then its back to the beach again. Some of the plants in the garden are well-suited to thrive and overtake the others, but each time the drunk parent shows back up and kicks things around a little, the environment changes, and different plants become the dominant ones.

I could go on with this analogy forever, and no matter how creative you get with it, it still describes the state of affairs on earth much more accurately than holy book. Want to see what god is like, go listen to the stories at an AA meeting, or watch Judge Judy. Those folks doing the talking, not the Judge, not the facilitator, but the characters doing the talking, those are our gods.
\

LOL Yes, then there is that. Not so sure I could buy into it entirely, but it is more than reasonable!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

But life is so much more painful than death...and all you do in life is consume, consume, consume!!

Okay you've talked me into it !

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join