learn more

20 Questions Christians Can't Answer!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Elohim were the product of Angels and humans mating?

Maybe God was talking to the Angels anyway?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
reply to post by Cuervo

I think you misunderstood the 'us' part. My fault, bad explanation... I'll try again

When moses was told the creation story, presumably by his Pharaohs royal scholars....someone (not a peer God
) would have said to him.

"Man was made in our image, Moses" or "he knew good and evil, like us Moses"

So Moses wrote what he heard, and added 'like us' or 'our' and intended it to be heard as he heard it.

Any better?

I admit I have never heard anybody try to explain it that way but here's why it doesn't work: The entire story is written in the third person (ei "God then did such-and-such" and not "I then did such-and-such") so why would he be quoted suddenly in the first person as if he were talking to Moses?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

Eh? Where did you get that from? Elohim is one of the names of "God".

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Tell him two of those didn't actually come into existence for some thousand years after

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

lol That was a "low blow"...

As long as he's no nut.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I'm getting confused with the giants that got killed with the flood, sorry

There were lots of Gods in the bible. God is jealous of them and tells Moses to destroy all their idols all the time!!

Wikipedia says is can be (and was) used as a plural for Egyptians etc etc etc Gods, but also used as a singular for the God of Israel....

I can easily see how it could be taken incorrectly somewhere along the line?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Then why didn't they clarify that part during the "word and god interacting with Moses" period of time? Why did everybody have to wait until John pointed it out thousands of years later?

Maybe that didn't to be clarified back then. Maybe they had a better understanding of who God was already without more specifics needed....until Jesus came along.

My point is that if you want people to believe that certain books are not able to be interpreted correctly without the "whole word", then how do you know what you are reading now won't be corrected in the future?

Nothing in the New Testament changed the events of the Old Testament. It only clarified those events in more detail for the future generations to understand.

As far as we can tell for now, comparing what is currently published against the Dead Sea Scrolls and other manuscripts that have been found in the not so distant past, there doesn't appear to be much in the way of changes that are relevant.

And before you refer to it, that part in Revelations saying that no more should be added, I don't see how that related to anything other than the Book of Revelations.

I agree. As for the rest of the Bible, we can only compare it against what we continue to uncover and dig up.

As a matter of fact, the Bible talks about "the little scroll" and other information which won't be revealed to us until the time gets closer to need it. I expect that we'll find more, but I don't think it will be detrimental to what we already know about God, but it might go into greater detail. Just my opinion. But I could be wrong!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I'm guessing everyone decided to ignore my response to JohnWilkesBooth, linked in the previous page. I haven't seen any rebuttals. I'd hate to walk away unenlightened for lack of peer review...
edit on 19-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

That whole line of logic of justifying scripture with separate scripture can be best described by a parable I just came up with:

When the Christian church defends their specific interpretations of the bible, they are like two men bailing out water on the same boat.
One man insists that the water is fresh water and the other man insists that the water is salt water. They will maintain their separate beliefs until they one of them gets thirsty or gets an infection.
At that point, one man will abandon his own belief in order to keep the boat afloat. Once the thirst is quenched or the infection cured, they will revert to their former individual beliefs.
edit on 19-11-2012 by Cuervo because: clarification

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Could Moses not have misinterpreted it when he was told the story tho??

Think of Woody Allen turning to the camera to talk to the audience in his movies. He'll add something to explain part of the plot, but it's not literal.

Moses 'could' have even incorrectly taken the extra explanation of his story teller literally and believed it actually did mean there was more than one.

If his creation story came from this Egyptian mother's court (which it must have done??) then 'us' and 'Gods' could of been intentional when he was told it...

And he had to run away from Egypt for being a murderer, maybe he was only told the story once and made mistakes when he started documenting it for his own God up the mountain years later.

I'm not saying I'm right of course, I'm just giving possible reasons as to how the plural could of been a mistake, especially as he goes onto make quite a big deal out of there's only actually one

actually, god might have even been talking to the snake

edit on 19-11-2012 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

we're all nuts

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I'll attempt to answer them in the next few days—if I find the time to get to it.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Elohim were the product of Angels and humans mating?

Maybe God was talking to the Angels anyway?

Nephilim were the product of Angels and humans mating according to some interpretations from people. This is a subject I have had to research over and over and I've never come to a complete conclusion.

As far as we know, the Nephilim (giants) might have been the result of God's children mingling with the Canaanites (which God might have referred to as the "seed of Satan", possibly meaning the non-believers of God), which they were told not to do.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

reply to post by swan001

Tell him two of those didn't actually come into existence for some thousand years after

God the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit have always existed, they just weren't revealed until they were needed in order to bear witness of each other.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
As a matter of fact, the Bible talks about "the little scroll" and other information which won't be revealed to us until the time gets closer to need it.

Got a link/reference for that? Sounds juicy

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

God's sons, angels? smashing in Man's daughters, and giants.

Marvellous stuff!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

I'm guessing everyone decided to ignore my response to JohnWilkesBooth, linked in the previous page. I haven't seen any rebuttals. I'd hate to walk away unenlightened for lack of peer review...
edit on 19-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

As a matter of fact, AfterInfinity, I thought you were spot on, with the exception of why you thought it made God a liar or somehow evil.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

God's sons, angels? smashing in Man's daughters, and giants.

Marvellous stuff!

If you think that's great, start cross-referencing that concept with the Greek, Norse, and Roman pantheons. Gods... Goddesses... Gods and Goddesses doing it with normal folk... giants... etc, etc...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

That whole line of logic of justifying scripture with separate scripture can be best described by a parable I just came up with:

All I can say is this was the guideline that was used to decide what made it into the Biblical cannon or not. If a manuscript (like the book of Enoch) wasn't backed up by another manuscript, it wasn't included. Most of the New Testament uses Old Testament scripture to back it up.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

The plural (Elohim) was not a mistake in the Bible.

Let's take a look at what God said was the most important of all the Commandments for the Jews to understand and to acknowledge...

Deuteronomy 6:4

4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:

Elohim is both singular and plural...just like God.

edit on 19-11-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join