It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Questions Christians Can't Answer!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferryman

Simply ask your Christian opponent this question: "If God destroyed all life on earth to get rid of wickedness and sin, which is his stated purpose in the Bible, then why do we still have wickedness and sin today?.

Give them 3 possible answers to pick from.
(1) God is incompetent.
(2) God just likes killing everything.
(3) The story of Noah's Ark, and the book it comes from are pure bull poo.

4) None of the above.

God always knew there would be wickedness as long as there was an earth. Hitting the reset button allowed the righteous to start over again so they wouldn't be outnumbered by the wicked.

However, the Bible tells us that the wicked will outnumber the righteous again before it's all said and done....but that was our last chance to start over.

The plan was to gain as many righteous people as possible before pulling the plug on earth altogether and move on to the eternal realm for good.
edit on 19-11-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by namine

I'm not going to try because I'm a Christian, I'm going to reply cause I question the true motivations of anyone who'd want to stop being a Christian and I like playing devil's advocate, ironically. And cause im bored. #ing bored.

1. There's no specific time frame for Noah's, just best guesses of historians. It could be a tale that came from when the Ice End ended 12,000 years ago, and the seas hadn't covered the whole of southern asia which was stilll attached to Aus back then. Even if there is any truth to it, it's probably allegoric and been victim to Chinese Whispers over the years. I've got friends that can't even get a story right 10 minutes later, considering this all happened LONG before Moses started documenting it, verbally passed from generation to generation and popping up all over the world. You'd have to be naive (or desperate to dis-prove God) to expect it to be 100% factual.

2) Show me where it says Noah couldn't open the hatch. Scrub that, you can't, it's not there. Instead, I'll show you where it says he checked the sea levels regularly. Genesis 8. Go look, then make your own smug video!!!

3) They were categorically told not to.

4) Again, it's probably metaphorical. He probably said, Adam, you can put it anywhere you like, but not in her arse, for ye might get knob-rot. But he put it there and he did get knob rot and was unclean to the lord. Who then had to send down some angels to smash in Eve instead so he get the whole ball rolling...

5) I don't know, but is it even important. Surely all religions pretty much spread the same message. "be nice to people and live a good life" - the stone being there or not, the story being true or not, or the angels sneaking in a crane to move it when no one was looking isn't going to change that.

6) See above. You know the bible was written by humans interpretation of visions right. I'm human too, I get # wrong ALL the time. Lets hope there were lots of women and they all looked after the poor #er. I'd need looking after if I'd just been strung up by nails.

7) I've not read Paul's epistles. Have you? You were wrong about Noah's and Adam/Eve in questions 2 & 3 tho, so you'll just have to wait until I get around to the sequel for an answer that's not similar to my last two.

8) I don't know, but one of them was little, I'm sure of it
Why are you trying to pretend that four humans can't watch the same event and produce different stories about it? Surely a little colour to the each man's account just adds credence?

9) I think they probably had to make bits up. Does it matter who Joseph's ancestors were? He was Jesus' step-father and his ancestry is of no relevance.

10) I think John got there early and watched the support acts.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
11) How can you raise someone back from the dead that isn't dead first? Don't be an oxymoron!

12) I don't know. It's either some kind of way of teaching us about charity, or a way for people who do his work to be fed too, or lets face it, Jews are known for liking money a bit too much (they never pay for their Palestinian land anyway!!) maybe the humans that wrote the book threw in some extra bits for their own personal gain?

13) Oh come on, you had to get to Samuel 15:11 until you found something that admits God's made a mistake??
God's first mistake was trusting Adam and Eve not to sin. He admits a big mistake when he kills off all of their offspring and just keeps Noah too. How about you admit your mistake? Pretending to know about something you've never even looked at?

14) We did. We get bored of hurting each other in 5657 and invent God, take him back in time and ask him to create us. He does and instantly regrets it. Ok, this question has played on my mind more than any other and there's isn't an answer. But science doesn't have an answer for it's alternative either. Apparently 'nothing' explodes one day and creates infinite mass, physics, energy, life and love in a somewhat conveniently, perfectly inhabitable space. It just doesn't wash either..

15) As I kind of answered that already above, I get to use the same amount of pedantry in my reply as you have in your questioning. What does the word 'create' mean?

16) It can't. Our own primitive understanding of energy transference has already proved this and is in complete contradiction to the big bang theory.

17) I'll bite and actually check this time..

1. Romans 4:17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were. - This chapter explains how it was Abraham's faith in the lord's word gave him righteousness and that the people's belief in the lord who raised Jesus will also give them righteousness. I think there's an element of saying it takes more than just blindly following the commandments, but doesn't imply you could just get in by believing before?
  2. Galatians 3:6 So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness. - This whole passage explains that before Jesus you had to follow the commandments and quite often got stoned to death for it if you didn't. It says AFTER jesus you can go to heaven for just having faith (that he died to atone for our sins). It only makes Jesus Superfluous if you don't sin in your entire miserable life!
  3. James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. - James is talking about Abraham's deeds being good and questioning whether faith alone in Jesus (without good actions) is enough to get into heaven. This particular verse says Abraham got there because he overed his Son in faith and completely contradicts your argument

4. null

18) The guy gets to judge us when we die. If he keeps stopping us from doing stupid things, how can we be judged and learn from it?

19) God didn't write this, James did.

20) The people Jesus whipped deserved it. Which is pretty tame compared to his father, who slaughtered thousands for simply not having enough faith in him.

All 20 Questions answered x
edit on 19-11-2012 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by namine

5. When the women went to Jesus’s empty tomb, was the stone already rolled away, or did the angels roll it away after the women got there?

From what I remember, the stone was already rolled away and the angels were waiting outside of the tomb when the women arrived.

6. On the first day of the week, when Jesus rose from the dead, how many women went to the tomb, and which ones?

8. How many donkeys did Jesus ride in his triumphal entry into Jerusalem? Was it one donkey, like Mark, Luke and John say? Or was it two donkeys like Matthew said?

There's a reason that many stories were repeated over and over again in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Even though minor details may have differed between them, the heart of the accounts remained the same!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by namine

7. If everyone who ever lived, prior to Jesus, could get into heaven by simply believing God (Romans 4:17, Galatians 3:6, James 2:23), like Abraham did, doesn’t that make Jesus a little superfluous?

Prior to Jesus, they didn't go to Heaven, they went to Paradise or Hades.

After Jesus died and before he "resurrected" and returned to visit his disciples, he went to the "bowels of the earth" to release people (those who died before) from the "prison".

Without Jesus, no one would be living in Heaven with God.

That's why Jesus told everyone that the only way to the Father was through him.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by namine

Originally posted by Cuervo

Thanks. As far as elaborating on whether or not Jesus is worthy of worship based on things we can glean out from the bible that paints him rather negatively, that's a tough one. I don't mind having a bit of fun with the bible and making people question themselves but I try to stop short of telling them they worship an evil god. I don't really believe that anyway.

Is Jesus evil? If I were to believe the bible and also believe that the gods of the old testament and Jesus were truly the same, then the answer would be am emphatic "yes". However, I don't think they are supposed to be the same. The old testament creator of Adam is not Jesus if I were to believe the bible. They are completely separate beings.

The story of Jesus could have been plugged in to any religion at the time. The gods of the old testament were evil, no doubt. Nearly every single thing acted out by the gods of the OT was done from a position of fear, rage, and jealousy. Some call that "love" but we send men who love like that to prison now days.

So I don't think that Jesus is evil because I don't believe Jesus is the OT god. This is what allows me to view Christians as well-intentioned.
edit on 18-11-2012 by Cuervo because: grammar...

Well, to my understanding there's only supposed to be one God. OT God and NT God are one and the same, and since Jesus was God, it follows that he must be one and the same too, or at the very least support both the OT and NT ideologies. I suppose you have the liberty to believe what makes most sense to you, but doctrine says Christians are not meant to believe one part of the Bible and reject others -- it's meant to be accepted as a complete work inspired by God.

To be fair, in my experience, most Christians spread good intentions too, even if the sources are a little fishy. What I don't get is why a lot of them believe the bible is beyond criticism.

I was speaking from an objective standpoint. If you were to read Genesis for the first time, without church influence, it clearly leads the reader to believe there are several gods involved in the creation process. The one that created Adam isn't necessarily the one who created people (read Genesis chronologically and you'll see these are two different events). Also, there is far more evidence in the bible that Jesus is not the same being as god than there is evidence saying they are some Frankengod.

The Christian church has such an active perspective on their theology that virtually anybody who picks up the bible will have heard how it is all "supposed" to be understood.

It's like those pictures where there are two different images and you can only focus on one. If you see it for the first time after being told it is an image of an orange, you will see an orange, even if it is the less likely image to jump out at you. If you just stumble upon the image, however, you will probably see the other image first. That is the Christian bible.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

We are already outnumbered again.....
2nd

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Vicarious10000

Wrong again atoms vibrate because of kinetic energy, ice cubes left out of the freezer get warmer and vibrate more, if you get something to absolute zero they stop vibrating.
Oh man you need to goto school or a science class I learnt this when I was 13.
But enough answering your silly notions.
One last thing sound only exists if there is air like the movie says "In space no one can hear you scream"
edit on 18-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

That which you believe imprisons you.
Remember this before you start calling people close minded just because their viewpoint does not agree with yours. (Especially when yours is based on incorrect information.)

All molecular motion stops at Absolute Zero, or zero degrees Kelvin. That is equal to -273 degrees Celsius This is incorrect. Particles never stop moving around - even at absolute zero. The uncertainty principle states that you can never know a particles position and momentum. Therefore if a particle stopped moving at absolute zero, you would know both and this would break the principle. As a result the particle still moving about to obey this principle - even at absolute zero. Actually, both answers are both right and wrong. Absolute zero would be the point that all particles would stop moving. However, scientists have not been able to reach absolute zero- they have come close, but not close enough. So, no known particles have ever stopped vibrating in place.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I was going to until I read this..

Smug atheists are as just as bad as devout followers

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I was speaking from an objective standpoint. If you were to read Genesis for the first time, without church influence, it clearly leads the reader to believe there are several gods involved in the creation process. The one that created Adam isn't necessarily the one who created people (read Genesis chronologically and you'll see these are two different events). Also, there is far more evidence in the bible that Jesus is not the same being as god than there is evidence saying they are some Frankengod.

Here's why people get confused...

Genesis 1:26-27

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

These two verses appear to contradict themselves until you read the following verses...

1 John 5:7

7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

John 1:14

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

There's only one creation story. Genesis, Chapter 2 is nothing more than a detailed account of Genesis, Chapter 1.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I remember reading that the more inteligent a person is the less likely they are to believe in a god. I think it was down to 7% in the top 1%

I heard stupid people believe everything they read and that 90% of statistics (this one included) are made up!

All of these people are smarter than us
edit on 19-11-2012 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler In fact, it looks to me as if anti-Christians are way more fundamentalist than Christians are.

THIS!!!

Great post too.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

LOL!

I have every reason to believe that the more intelligent a person is, the larger their ego, leading them only to think that a God isn't needed, while the current state of humanity clearly shows the opposite.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicarious10000
reply to post by Shadowcast

Actually atheism is rebellion and that is an aspect of god so why would god strike them dead.

Why would you pretend to understand God without ever having picked up a bible?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by madenusa
I would like to add a question;
Whats with the no last names?
Jesus who?

Ofnazareth

he's even in the phone book.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by Vicarious10000
reply to post by Shadowcast

If someone would like to type out all the questions I'll answer them.

Ask God to do it for you.

lmao!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Cuervo

Here's why people get confused...

Genesis 1:26-27

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

These two verses appear to contradict themselves until you read the following verses...

1 John 5:7

7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

John 1:14

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

There's only one creation story. Genesis, Chapter 2 is nothing more than a detailed account of Genesis, Chapter 1.

So Genesis can't be understood "correctly" without reading another book?

Was Jesus also sent to Earth to act as a publishing editor?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

So Genesis can't be understood "correctly" without reading another book?

Was Jesus also sent to Earth to act as a publishing editor?

The Word isn't understood without reading ALL of the Word, and the Holy Spirit works as the publishing editor to confirm the Word.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicarious10000

Theory is the same as belief. Belief in a theory is faith. Science is religion.

Then science is a better religion than Christianity. By the way, all 20 questions have been transcribed in full now, and are available in the original posts.

Get to answering, oh wise one! Impress us with your astounding knowledge! Prove to us that you are deserving of your haughty manner, please...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

LOL!

I have every reason to believe that the more intelligent a person is, the larger their ego, leading them only to think that a God isn't needed, while the current state of humanity clearly shows the opposite.

That's funny, because I have every reason to believe that Christians don't even bother trying to think about it. Every time I attempt to show them the line of reasoning that leads me to question their beliefs, they get angry and storm off.

The state of humanity is partially caused by belief in the Christian god. I've even hard that some of the strife in Middle Eastern countries is caused by "God"s anger at heretics.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join