It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Questions Christians Can't Answer!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by hanyak69
reply to post by boymonkey74

Then prove with out any doubt Evolution! Dna in and of itself discredits this theory. How did the split DNA decide weather plant or animal? Can you get animal DNA from plants? Can you get human DNA from a squid?
The evidence in evolution is scetchy at best but people still blindly follow. HMMMMM sounds like a religion to me!!!

People believe in god because they do not understand the way the world around them operates.

^^ Proves this argument to be true.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
!. Because the whole world was never flooded, the world that Noahs family knew flooded. Theres actually evidence that a great flood did take up most of southern Babylonia region.
2. All wooden craft are sealed with pine pitch, you never hear of pirates suffocating. Plus if there was an ark I'm sure it had windows.
3. Because as the story goes they were first forbidden from eating the apple, then convinced by lucifer to go against the word of god
4. Because he makes the rules and can put stuff wherever he wants. The story is about resisting temptation god doesnt make you do the things you do.
5. It matters if you ask Mark or Mathew.
6. No one knows it is written different in different Gospels.
7. Once again no one knows it matters who you ask
8. Does it really matter?
(come on, im not a christian and I find the last few as silly filler to make the list seem more meaningful)
9.Well actually Mathew only goes far back as Abraham to show The jewish character of Jesus, WhileLuke goes back to Adam to make the universal connection to everyone. Its not clear if his father is Nathan or Solomon but it is clear he is descended form David.
10.To answer that you have to understand the difference between the Julian calender and the Gregorian calender, the jewish day started and ended at 6pm. He was crucifed early in the day and buried before 6pm so they didnt violate the sabbath.

edit on 19-11-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by namine

Joseph's lineage was through Jacob his father, Mary's lineage was through Heli her father. According to the rites of adoption for jews 2000 years ago, a child could be adopted into the adopted father's line and be accepted as if he were a blood relative. Joseph's line came down through Solomon, and Mary's line came down through David's other son Nanthan. Jesus was made eligable for the throne of David after Zerubbabel broke the curse laid on Jeconiah and restored Jeconiah's line.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I was just browsing Jokes on the internet, and i came across this. Now i'm not a religious man, it stems back from when i was a kid at Sunday school, and the Evil old bag, the venomous old harpy that scared the crap out of me/us.
Telling me/us that we would all burn in hell, that Devils with pitch forks where waiting to skewer us.
That's not a way to educate kids no older than 5, anyway i digress, to the joke, and it's very poignant.

Simply ask your Christian opponent this question:
"If God destroyed all life on earth to get rid of wickedness and sin, which is his stated purpose in the Bible, then why do we still have wickedness and sin today?.
Give them 3 possible answers to pick from.
(1) God is incompetent.
(2) God just likes killing everything.
(3) The story of Noah's Ark, and the book it comes from are pure bull poo.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by namine

Bring it on part 2

!. Actually it says he offered his only begotten son. Meaning that he gave his son to the treacherous earth, put him through the trials of being human.
2. The old testament never claimed god to be omnipotent, the Gospels on the other hand wrote that bit in.
The money is for keeping the churchs upkeep, helping out the poor and in the old days it was part of the church leaders payment.
3. see (2.)

(oh look the same question being asked different 3 ways to once again make the list seem longer than it is)
4. That simply cant be answered by anyone, its like asking where chemicals and elements came from
5. If nothing can come from nothing what caused the big bang) there evidently was always something
6. I guess someone had to put it all together?
7. Becuase before Jesus judgement was much harder, you were held to your past.
8. no where in the bible does it say that god controls what people do.
9. Well actually it says to see your church elders who will pray over you and anoint you with herbal oils, medicine is made from herbs (WOOOOOOAAAAH)'
10. Why not? the things he actually taught are good, words put into his long dead mouth by others on the other hand are a load of crap.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

!. Because the whole world was never flooded, the world that Noahs family knew flooded. Theres actually evidence that a great flood did take up most of southern Babylonia region.

Wrong, there was a worldwide flood and it's been proven by archeaology. There are underwater ruins of settlements and cities all over the world, sitting on the bottom of oceans all over the world. 1000 feet down tree stumps have been found petrified by the seawater. Cuba, the Bahamas and Southamerica were all one giant continent at one time. Fossils of sea cows from the Mediteranean were discovered under the casing stones of the Great Pyramid at Giza when the casing stones were removed, as was sediment from the Nile river. 1500 underwater archeaological sites have been discovered on the bottom of the Mediteranean sea, ruins of settlements, tools, pottery and even graves have been found down there.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Well todays scientist are claiming there were floods occurring at different times not one global flood at one time.
So how do you explain the ever rising sea levels? Aside from glacier melt there are many forces at work.
edit on 19-11-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by namine

Here is your awesome answer:

The Bible is incomplete because of the Templar

Way to go not so smart guy

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by namine

Dear namine,

What happens if I answer one question? Will you admit you have no idea what you are talking about? And will you also be willing to answer my questions for atheists? Clearly I am a Christian and am imbecile so it should be easy for you to correct me. Now, if I correct one of our questions and you do not answer my question then will it mean you have less logic and knowledge than this poor Christian imbecile, will it mean that you should rethink your bigotry? If you are willing to reconsider your assumptions then I will make the effort, if you are not then why should I bother? Believe that you are meaningless, a biological robot and believe that your self awareness is foolishness. Believe whatever you wish, now prove it.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by namine
reply to post by schuyler

Thanks for answering the questions, even though you were fed up by the 10th.

True, not all of them are specifically Christian related, some are philosophical, some even silly. The videos are mostly tongue-in-cheek after all.

As for the kangaroos and ark, fair enough. It seems to me that anything that doesn't make literal or scientific sense in the Bible falls back on a metaphorical interpretation. I guess this is what it means when Christians say the Bible has all the answers? If something doesn't make sense, it must be an analogy, and thereby you can draw up an interpretation that gives you your answer.

On Adam and Eve, sure they violated a direct order but could God blame them? Could he not foresee that that's exactly what they would've done? He practically set them up for failure, with what making the tree easily accessible and tempting, and throwing the devil in there to boot! OT or not, it's still part of the holy book Christians revere, so I'd expect them to at least have a view on this. Just another case of God testing their faith for mysterious reasons I guess.

I believe the main reason so many questions revolve around inconsistencies is because the Bible is meant to be the perfect word of God as inspired by the almighty himself. There's no room for inconsistencies in perfection. These people reporting on the incidents revolving around the tomb should've had all the facts, especially seeing as an omnipotent God was on their side. If these are true historic events recorded in the Bible, the gospels can't be saying different things about it?

Originally posted by schuyler
We don’t know which gospel is historically accurate. They were all written many years after the events. Like any stories in oral traditions, there are bound to be differences.

This isn't just any old story in oral tradition though, is it? These are true events recorded with inspiration from an all-knowing God.

These inaccuracies make you wonder what else the authors screwed up in their attempt to pass on God's word.

There are people of faith who believe in the bible word for word literally, then there is those who use it has a "guide". If you asked a majority of priests or pastors if God has direct influence in our lives, most would tell you no. The general story of the bible is free will, and what man/woman does with it, take that and apply it to the story of Adam and Eve and you will have your answer.

People wrote the bible, that is a fact, to expect no error is to expect them not to be human. Inspiration from God is not the same has God writing it. To most people the bible is a set of philosophies and principles to live by not a word for word historical account.

The big bang theory is a belief, created by humans, and flawed, should we say science can no longer be relied on because there are inaccuracies? Who knows what else might be screwed up... right?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by hanyak69
reply to post by boymonkey74

Then prove with out any doubt Evolution! Dna in and of itself discredits this theory. How did the split DNA decide weather plant or animal? Can you get animal DNA from plants? Can you get human DNA from a squid?
The evidence in evolution is scetchy at best but people still blindly follow. HMMMMM sounds like a religion to me!!!

People believe in god because they do not understand the way the world around them operates.

^^ Proves this argument to be true.

People who believe in God admit they do not know how the world works, people who do not believe in God "think" they know how the world works.

I think thats what you meant to say.............

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Thanks. As far as elaborating on whether or not Jesus is worthy of worship based on things we can glean out from the bible that paints him rather negatively, that's a tough one. I don't mind having a bit of fun with the bible and making people question themselves but I try to stop short of telling them they worship an evil god. I don't really believe that anyway.

Is Jesus evil? If I were to believe the bible and also believe that the gods of the old testament and Jesus were truly the same, then the answer would be am emphatic "yes". However, I don't think they are supposed to be the same. The old testament creator of Adam is not Jesus if I were to believe the bible. They are completely separate beings.

The story of Jesus could have been plugged in to any religion at the time. The gods of the old testament were evil, no doubt. Nearly every single thing acted out by the gods of the OT was done from a position of fear, rage, and jealousy. Some call that "love" but we send men who love like that to prison now days.

So I don't think that Jesus is evil because I don't believe Jesus is the OT god. This is what allows me to view Christians as well-intentioned.
edit on 18-11-2012 by Cuervo because: grammar...

Well, to my understanding there's only supposed to be one God. OT God and NT God are one and the same, and since Jesus was God, it follows that he must be one and the same too, or at the very least support both the OT and NT ideologies. I suppose you have the liberty to believe what makes most sense to you, but doctrine says Christians are not meant to believe one part of the Bible and reject others -- it's meant to be accepted as a complete work inspired by God.

To be fair, in my experience, most Christians spread good intentions too, even if the sources are a little fishy. What I don't get is why a lot of them believe the bible is beyond criticism.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by namine

Dear namine,

What happens if I answer one question? Will you admit you have no idea what you are talking about? And will you also be willing to answer my questions for atheists? Clearly I am a Christian and am imbecile so it should be easy for you to correct me. Now, if I correct one of our questions and you do not answer my question then will it mean you have less logic and knowledge than this poor Christian imbecile, will it mean that you should rethink your bigotry? If you are willing to reconsider your assumptions then I will make the effort, if you are not then why should I bother? Believe that you are meaningless, a biological robot and believe that your self awareness is foolishness. Believe whatever you wish, now prove it.

Hey, I didn't come up with these questions, but bumped into them on youtube, and thought it would be interesting to share. I was interested in the Christian point of view too seeing as a lot of the questions are related to the bible. Where's the bigotry in that? You are quick to leap into defense. And since when does not believing in Bible God make someone an atheist? Regardless, none of the questions are asking for proof, only a better understanding for certain concepts in the bible, and reconciliation for inaccuracies riddled in a supposedly perfect book.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by namine

Dear namine,

Wow. Feel the hate.

You failed to answer any of the questions.

Does that mean that namine is a genius?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by namine

I'm Pagan, not Christian, so I'm not really the best suited for this. I just really hate when people bash others. So I'll answer them, from the standpoint of someone that doesn't even believe in it all. Just to prove that atheists don't have to be scumbags to Christians "just because".

1. When Noah’s ark landed, how did the kangaroos make it back to Australia?
It landed on Mount Ararat, which is in Turkey. With that logic it is fair to ask how any animal is on both Americas isn't it?

2. If the ark was covered in pitch or tar to make it watertight, it also made it airtight -- how did the animals survive more than one or two days living in complete darkness without any fresh air? Remember, the rain lasted 40 days and 40 nights. Noah couldn’t open the window in the top.

How could they survive living in each others feces for 40 days? I'm sure he disposed of it somehow. I'm also thinking that a man that could create a ship so large in such a day then would have thought of that.

3. Since Adam and Eve didn’t know right from wrong before eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, why did God then punish them for something they didn’t understand they were doing?

He told them to not eat from that tree. He made it known, thus temptation was created. They knew.

4. Why would God place a forbidden tree in the garden so close to his innocent creation and allow Satan to tempt them into eating from it, all the while looking on without doing a thing to prevent it?

He gave them a choice. He couldn't just put a bad tree there and just command them not to eat from it, the temptation would be useless. He gave them free will, that was what they chose. Satan was just more temptation. God was testing them, they failed.

5. When the women went to Jesus’s empty tomb, was the stone already rolled away, or did the angels roll it away after the women got there?

I'll have to assume that since they had a way to get the rock in FRONT of the tomb, they had a way to move it BACK. Simple huh?

6. On the first day of the week, when Jesus rose from the dead, how many women went to the tomb, and which ones?

Very trivial question. My rebuttal question is, who cares?

7. If you believe the creation account in Genesis is mere allegory, then why don’t you throw out Paul’s epistles? Because he believed that the creation account was a historical fact.

This and six were the most trivial questions, therefore I will not answer them. This question is only for people that think Genesis was allegory and therefore doesn't cover the masses.

8. How many donkeys did Jesus ride in his triumphal entry into Jerusalem? Was it one donkey, like Mark, Luke and John say? Or was it two donkeys like Matthew said?

He had two. His donkey was too small to ride without it's mother and the mother had the child donkey therefore it couldn't be left alone. Taking both was the only option.

9. Matthew and Luke both provide genealogies for Jesus, going all the way back to Adam. Using both of those lists, who was Joseph’s father?

Jacob. Found in 10 seconds on Google, with multiple sources.

10. Was Jesus crucified on the first day of the Passover like the gospel of John says? Or the next day like the other three gospels say?

Most Christians believe it was between Passover days.

There you go, from a Pagan.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Hey guys,
I thought I would have a little go at answering these questions. Let me first state, I'm not a Christian, I have been subjected to Sunday School as a kid, and church as an adult, though I haven't been in a long time because organised religion doesn't rest well with me. I don't like it.

Anyway, onto the answers:

1. When Noah’s ark landed, how did the kangaroos make it back to Australia?
God gave Noah seven days, to get seven pairs of clean animals and one pair of unclean into the Ark. My guess is he never even tried to make it to Australia, because it would have taken too long.

Also, even with seven pairs of mates (and one for the unclean), you're left with a very small gene pool. Ever heard of Kenny, the Inbred White Tiger? You're going to be left with many animals that should never have been born. It makes you wonder how we're not all boneless slobbering wonders, if we all only came from two humans.
How come we're not? Did we, *gasp* evolve?

2. If the ark was covered in pitch or tar to make it watertight, it also made it airtight -- how did the animals survive more than one or two days living in complete darkness without any fresh air?
Side facing windows. Before castles had glass windows, they were completely uncovered, or had heavy drapes/curtains. I don't think there would have been any harm to the animals, other than getting very very wet depending on the direction of the rainfall.

3. Since Adam and Eve didn’t know right from wrong before eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, why did God then punish them for something they didn’t understand they were doing?
As others have said, this was a direct order from God, and they disobeyed him.

4. Why would God place a forbidden tree in the garden so close to his innocent creation and allow Satan to tempt them into eating from it, all the while looking on without doing a thing to prevent it?
God gave Adam and Eve free will. Also placing temptation in their paths was a test of their faith. It seems even so early in their relationship, God was a very needy and controlling God

Questions 5-8 relate to the Gospels.
Imagine you had 12 of the best friends you ever had, and you had some amazing times. You got Jesus turning water to wine, everyone's having their minds blown, you're life is being changed at every turn. Most of your friends were all in attendance of these amazing feats. Then years later, someone says to you, "Tell me about your mate, Jesus, and all those mental times you had." Steve tells a slightly different version to Jeremy, and Jeremy was whacked out of his mind on the stores of wine he'd got Jesus to make before he was taken off to the cross, Terry tells another different version to Jeremy. Because people remember different things, people pick on specific parts of their memories, others give a general overview of the things that happened.
Whether there were two donkeys or not, is probably not something to get knickers in a twist about. Maybe they were asses. Who knows?

9. Matthew and Luke both provide genealogies for Jesus, going all the way back to Adam. Using both of those lists, who was Joseph’s father?
I don't have an answer for this, because I really REALLY hated all that "Josh was the son of Tony, who was the son of Andrew who was the son of Michael" stuff. However, since Jesus was the Son of God, Joseph's family history is kinda superfluous, don't you think? Also, if it matters, it should be Mary's lineage that would matter, purely because if Jesus was a Jew, Judaism is passed through the female line (though I'm not sure why this is).

10. Was Jesus crucified on the first day of the Passover like the gospel of John says? Or the next day like the other three gospels say?
I would relate this to my answer for 5-8. However, it is probably more likely that it is remembered correctly by the majority.

1. The Bible tells us that God sacrificed his only son so that we can go to Heaven (John 3:16), but the Bible also tells us that he raised his son back from the dead again. If God didn’t really lose his son, then how is that a sacrifice?
The way I see it, it was a sacrifice, because it was a lesson that he taught to man by taking away his flesh self.
You could argue that it's not really a sacrifice since his son was returned to him, but when you look at it from a mortal point of view, it was a sacrifice.

2. If God is all-knowing and all-powerful, and has everything under control, why does he keep asking for money every Sunday?
As others have said, this is a man made rule. Tithes were used for all sorts of reasons, church upkeep etc. Even parishioners have to eat.

I'm running out of space, I'll have to make a second post

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
When I was growing up thy fed me this about the bible: en.m.wikipedia.org...

Ie "God wrote the gospels through divine inspiration of its writers"

That coupled wih the pope is "infallible"( is NEVER wrong on matters of faith lol)

That's what really pushed me away from organized Christianity.

How can people seriously belive one among them is infallable? If the bible truly was written by God Himself through man why are the accounts different?

Faith is a very powerful force. Too much blind faith can be dangerous.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
3. The Bible tells us that God regretted making Saul king (1 Samuel 15:11), but if that’s the case, doesn’t that mean God didn’t know the future? Because if he knew he was going to regret making Saul king, he would’ve never done it in the first place.
If you give something or someone the ability or power to do great things, but they do bad things, such as kill babies, women, children, poor quality livestock and men, I think I'd regret my decision too. Good intentions can still lead to bad consequences.
The idea that God is omniscient is an idea that man added to the mental image of God. In fact, and I'm searching right now, I don't think there is a Scripture where GOD himself has said he is omniscient.

4. If every complex design requires a designer, who designed God?

5. If nothing can come from nothing, then how did God create the universe out of nothing?

6. If something can come from nothing, why do we need God to create the universe?

As others have said, these are philosophical questions, though valid, I think.
I, as many others do as well, think that God is a way of dealing with things we don't know, we don't or can't understand. Sometimes the closer we get to thinking we understand, the more we realise we're actually further away. Sometimes thinking you have an answer, leads to more questions, and so the cycle starts again.
God created the universe to some, because they don't know how, why, it, we came into being.

7. If everyone who ever lived, prior to Jesus, could get into heaven by simply believing God (Romans 4:17, Galatians 3:6, James 2:23), like Abraham did, doesn’t that make Jesus a little superfluous?
Some think that it is not simply believing in God, but believing in Jesus that awards you the key to Heaven. I think it depends which denominational sect you consider yourself to be part of. Though in some cases, I think yes, it would make Jesus superfluous in that respect. But also, don't forget, that while that's all good and well, Jesus could be seen as a tool, used by God to prove his own existence and therefore win more souls for Heaven.

8. The Bible tells us that God isn’t willing that anybody should perish (2 Peter 3:9), but his holy word has been corrupted through the ages by mankind, so doesn’t that mean that God either allowed it to be corrupted, or he was unable to keep it from being corrupted?
I think this again comes under free will. Some people believe that God isn't active in our lives, but serves as a watcher and a listener. Perhaps that he was so active in the lives of people in the Bible, shows us that humanity today is not worth intervening in?

9. In the book of James, God instructs Christians on what they should do when they get sick (James 5:14-15). There’s supposed to pray and lay hands on the sick person, and God promises to heal them, so why do you ignore God’s command and run to science every time you get sick?
So far, neither God nor Science have done much for me to make me well again. If miracle healing runs on faith, and science has a better healing track record, would you want to put your life in the hands of a man who whispers to the sky, or the hands of a man who has a proven track record of making people well again with tools and medicine?

10. The Bible tells us that Jesus threw a huge temper tantrum in the Jewish temple (John 2:15). He actually made a whip, and whipped these people, and drove them out of the temple, but not before overturning their tables and spilling their money everywhere. The Bible also tells us that Jesus called a Canaanite woman a dog (Mark 7:27). And Jesus insulted the Pharisees by calling them derogatory names at every turn (Matthew 23:13-33). Jesus also lied to his own disciples (John 7:8-10); they asked him if he was going to the feast, he said, “no, my time’s not yet come.” And he turns around and goes to the feast.

Jesus also condones slavery and he did not denounce the crimes of rape or paedophilia (Matthew 10:24, Matthew 24:46, Luke 17:7). Not only that, Jesus taught that if you call somebody a ‘fool’, you are in danger of going to hell (Matthew 5:22). Then he turns around and calls several people fools (Matthew 23:17, Luke 24:26). Not only that, the Bible tells us that Jesus explicitly upheld the ghastly Mosaic Law that requires children to be killed if they became unruly (Matthew 15:3-4, Matthew 5:17-18, Deuteronomy 21:18-21).

Jesus was not perfect, he was after all, a man. Have you never been p-ssed off with kids who won't stop causing havoc everywhere they go. Perhaps it was nothing more than "If that kid doesn't shut up, someone take a sword to his head! I'm trying to listen to God here!"

Anyway, like I said, this was just more of a time waster and a blurb for my thoughts on the questions. You can pick it apart if you like, I probably won't reply because though this was an interesting topic, I don't care too much to dither over semantics and a thousand year old story

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by namine

Not only that, Jesus taught that if you call somebody a ‘fool’, you are in danger of going to hell (Matthew 5:22). Then he turns around and calls several people fools (Matthew 23:17, Luke 24:26).

Jesus was teaching his disciples here. He was either telling them not to call each other fools or not to call their "brothers" (other Christians) fools.

In any case, it's obvious that there's going to be a judging and separation of the "sheep and the goats" and they're all going to be judged based on how God's "sheep" were treated before the Millennium starts, as outlined in Matthew 25:31-46.

Matthew 25:40

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicarious10000

Kinetic energy is caused by an object having mass and moving at a velocity.... Hence Ek = 1/2mv^2

And why are all of these biblical events all of a sudden based on metaphors. Perhaps god himself is a metaphor?

And don't go on about god testing face. God tempted Adam and Eve by putting the tree there. Funnily enough, temptation is a sin when the person falls into it.
edit on 19-11-2012 by curiousrb because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join