It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Questions Christians Can't Answer!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

I think the point here is that the Bible is the inspired word of God, it is supposed to be the only perfect thing in this world, as an extension of God's voice, so to speak. Any error, any inconsistency makes the whole thing one big steamy pile of bull #. And really, that's great if you can take the good lessons in the bible and see that many stories are meant to be metaphorical, but really, you can get these same lessons on morality out of a kindergarden classroom. Christianity collectively desires to see that the bible is treated literally as all absolutely true, all God's golden word. They seek not only this, but to ensure that everybody else lives by their laws as well. The whole point of this thread is to show that the bible can't be taken literally, and thus, the seat it sits on as "divine" is not deserved. That the viewpoint of Christianity as the final be-all on every single aspect of our everyday lives is bull #. The Bible has no place in our lives beyond that of the rest of the lot of historical myths. It isn't true, it's not even consistent in all of its' messages. The fact that Christianity dominates with the same strong armed tactics its' used for the last several hundred years only adds to the desire to keep it out of people's lives. Furthermore, the audacity that it has to push its' myths onto the impressionable minds of the young, weak, sick, and elderly shows just what kind of predator this religion really is. It is an aberration of human thought, a means to control the masses and unify them under the banner of control for the fear and love of a deity they'll never know or meet. It is a # faced lie that attempts to plead its' case as the shining example of human morality, though it's so very far from. What disgusts me further is your smug arrogance that blinds you to all of this and more. Grow up, the Christian God and its' bible is just as fake as every other deity, super hero, or magic trick you can think of and it can ONLY be taken as metaphor at best. It isn't the inspired word of God, it's the inspired words of a group of dusty old Romans and the plagiarized myths of civilizations that came before the bible. There ought not be any mistake about it, no obfuscation of the facts, but instead, because it plays itself out as truth, people have faith in a lie and are not only cheated out of their money, but also their very lives. Religion itself has proven to be the leading cause of war, hate, cultural indifference, rights restrictions, and oppression the world over. It's more than time for us to evolve past it.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by foxyramirez

Exactly. That's the ultimate reality that the church has to answer to. Either they admit that the bible is not the "true and literal word of god" or they have to admit that their god is fallible, not omnipotent, and not that nice of a guy.

You would think that Christians would be the ones trying to convince non-Christians that the bible is simply inspired by their god thus open to mistakes.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Thanks for answering the questions, even though you were fed up by the 10th.

True, not all of them are specifically Christian related, some are philosophical, some even silly. The videos are mostly tongue-in-cheek after all.

As for the kangaroos and ark, fair enough. It seems to me that anything that doesn't make literal or scientific sense in the Bible falls back on a metaphorical interpretation. I guess this is what it means when Christians say the Bible has all the answers? If something doesn't make sense, it must be an analogy, and thereby you can draw up an interpretation that gives you your answer.

On Adam and Eve, sure they violated a direct order but could God blame them? Could he not foresee that that's exactly what they would've done? He practically set them up for failure, with what making the tree easily accessible and tempting, and throwing the devil in there to boot! OT or not, it's still part of the holy book Christians revere, so I'd expect them to at least have a view on this. Just another case of God testing their faith for mysterious reasons I guess.

I believe the main reason so many questions revolve around inconsistencies is because the Bible is meant to be the perfect word of God as inspired by the almighty himself. There's no room for inconsistencies in perfection. These people reporting on the incidents revolving around the tomb should've had all the facts, especially seeing as an omnipotent God was on their side. If these are true historic events recorded in the Bible, the gospels can't be saying different things about it?

Originally posted by schuyler
We don’t know which gospel is historically accurate. They were all written many years after the events. Like any stories in oral traditions, there are bound to be differences.

This isn't just any old story in oral tradition though, is it? These are true events recorded with inspiration from an all-knowing God.

These inaccuracies make you wonder what else the authors screwed up in their attempt to pass on God's word.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I don’t know very many Christians who even believe Noah’s Ark happened at all. They dismiss it as a Sunday School fairy tale they learned as kids, and don’t give it a second thought.

The whole issue with the gospels is beyond disappointing. Do you think Christains are unaware that the four gospels sometimes contradict each other? Do you seriously believe that anyone reading them could not figure that out pretty readily? The real question is why you think these minor differences make a difference?

Excuse me, schuyler, but....
if you read this particular forum often enough, you'll see plenty of the self-proclaimed "Christians" that frequent it actually do believe the stories, and give them thought every day.
edit on 18-11-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
God did not and Jesus did not write any chapters of the Testaments, people did. And this is science.

And this is exactly why the Bible can't be taken at face value, or even assumed to be perfect in anyway. God doesn't make mistakes, people make mistakes, right? Not to say you can't learn anything from the scriptures, but they cannot be considered the perfect word of God.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Exactly. That's the ultimate reality that the church has to answer to. Either they admit that the bible is not the "true and literal word of god" or they have to admit that their god is fallible, not omnipotent, and not that nice of a guy.

A very common strain in seminaries is this:

"The New Testament, in which God is in a much better mood."

Does that give you guys a little hint, perhaps, of what is going on in the Christian faith? By people who preach it and study it? The Bottom Line here is that the OP title is wrong (Quickly! But it's the title of the YouTube, so that's okay!) Christians, as it turns out, CAN answer these questions.

Christians CAN answer these questions, and relatively easily, and that upsets the 'fundamentalist atheists' who really thought they had this Christianity thing down, being how they are so smart and all.

I liken these kinds of questions as posed by a college sophomore (definition: "wise fool") who decides to pick on his ancient aunt who has an IQ of 80, who dropped out of high school to work and help feed the family, raised four children of her own to be responsible adults, and has always believed Jesus Christ is her Lord and Savior.

Said sophomore with a chip on his shoulder poses some of these utterly ridiculous questions to his befuddled and senile aunt, perceives that she cannot answer them like he thinks she should, and proclaims,

"See how stupid Christianity is? And look at me, I'm a God damned genius!"

No, sir. You may be God damned, but you are an utter fool!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by Cuervo

A very common strain in seminaries is this:

"The New Testament, in which God is in a much better mood."

Does that give you guys a little hint, perhaps, of what is going on in the Christian faith? By people who preach it and study it? The Bottom Line here is that the OP title is wrong (Quickly! But it's the title of the YouTube, so that's okay!) Christians, as it turns out, CAN answer these questions.

Christians CAN answer these questions, and relatively easily, and that upsets the 'fundamentalist atheists' who really thought they had this Christianity thing down, being how they are so smart and all.

I liken these kinds of questions as posed by a college sophomore (definition: "wise fool") who decides to pick on his ancient aunt who has an IQ of 80, who dropped out of high school to work and help feed the family, raised four children of her own to be responsible adults, and has always believed Jesus Christ is her Lord and Savior.

Said sophomore with a chip on his shoulder poses some of these utterly ridiculous questions to his befuddled and senile aunt, perceives that she cannot answer them like he thinks she should, and proclaims,

"See how stupid Christianity is? And look at me, I'm a God damned genius!"

No, sir. You may be God damned, but you are an utter fool!

I can't say if you were directing some of that ire towards me but I still gotta say "well put". If a heathen like me can answer most of them, they can't be all that tough. And your scenario with the aunt being used as a springboard for somebody's ego trip is fairly apt. I see it a lot.

Even as a witch, I get some flack from atheists but I have the benefit of following vague and very esoteric dusty volumes that the atheist may or may not have even heard of. Hell, most of them have never even heard of half the deities I worship. This means there is less to attack. You Christians, on the other hand, live by an extremely well-known and influential doctrine that is easy to collaborate on and then attack. I feel for you on that account as it would be very tiresome to deal with on a daily basis.

As you can see from my earlier posts, I have some mixed feelings on you guys myself but I don't hate Christians. Far from it. They aren't that different from many eclectic witches (especially the Catholics). They are just confused pagans in my eyes.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

Hey, not trying to mock the Bible, just exploring the questions it leaves in its wake. Thanks for answering the questions. Lengthy post, good read. I’d just like to point out that by highlighting the inconsistencies, I believe his intentions are to dismiss this notion that everything in the Bible is perfect and sound. When it comes to the Bible, picking and choosing what should be taken literally or metaphorically can be a slippery slope, as even if Christians themselves cannot seem to come to a consensus. Some would have you believe the Adam and Eve story was historical fact, others will say its all allegory, and the same goes for several entries in the scriptures.

Good point about the Bible being an edited collection of books – I take this to mean it’s open to being fallible and concedes a fair amount of details that were lost/changed in translation? If so, how can it be trusted completely as the true word of God?

I believe the point he was trying to make about the sacrifice is that Jesus didn’t really die; even though the Bible says he died for our sins, he lived. In essence, “death” was not the sacrifice he made.

The point about regret is that an all-knowing God shouldn’t be capable of regret for his actions. To regret his own actions, is to concede God makes mistakes in performing said actions. Free will as an explanation doesn’t really answer the question either, as you’d have to concede God regretted giving Saul free will. Why would God knowingly subject himself to regret?

Aww, I’m sad you didn’t answer the last question for the second vid. Was genuinely interested in what you’d have to say.

Originally posted by iwilliam
Next time please ask your own intelligent questions, or otherwise at least find videos from someone who isn't a complete moron.

Glad we’ve established you think he’s a moron for asking questions.

edit on 18-11-2012 by namine because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2012 by namine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by namine

1. When Noah’s ark landed, how did the kangaroos make it back to Australia?

The Bible doesn't say and science hasn't been able to make that determination either.

2. If the ark was covered in pitch or tar to make it watertight, it also made it airtight -- how did the animals survive more than one or two days living in complete darkness without any fresh air? Remember, the rain lasted 40 days and 40 nights. Noah couldn’t open the window in the top.

Here are the Bible verses:

Genesis 6:15-16

15 And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits.

16 A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it.

It doesn't say that the window could not be opened and although it says that it was above, it doesn't state exactly where above. It could have been on the side of the third story.

What most people fail to realize is that a lot of the water came up from beneath the earth and not just in the form of rain coming down from the sky.

Genesis 7:11

11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

3. Since Adam and Eve didn’t know right from wrong before eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, why did God then punish them for something they didn’t understand they were doing?

They were told everything they needed to know before eating from the tree. They were told if they ate from the tree that they would die (a human death).

4. Why would God place a forbidden tree in the garden so close to his innocent creation and allow Satan to tempt them into eating from it, all the while looking on without doing a thing to prevent it?

It was God's plan to give everyone free will to choose and the only way to do that was to allow them the opportunity to know the difference between good and evil. Satan and the angels were given free will first and then humans.

edit on 18-11-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Oooh, thanks for participating!!

I've enjoyed your answers the most thus far because you raise a lot of interesting questions.
I agree with most of it too.

I've often wondered about the Adam and Eve thing myself, though you put it in a better way than I could have. I'd really like it if you elaborated on the very last question. What do you really think about it?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by namine

I believe the point he was trying to make about the sacrifice is that Jesus didn’t really die; even though the Bible says he died for our sins, he lived. In essence, “death” was not the sacrifice he made.

Jesus did really die. He died a human death. When Jesus was resurrected, he was resurrected into a heavenly body, not a human body. So, yes, he lives, but not as a human. The death of the human body was the sacrifice.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by namine
reply to post by Cuervo

Oooh, thanks for participating!!

I've enjoyed your answers the most thus far because you raise a lot of interesting questions.
I agree with most of it too.

I've often wondered about the Adam and Eve thing myself, though you put it in a better way than I could have. I'd really like it if you elaborated on the very last question. What do you really think about it?

Thanks. As far as elaborating on whether or not Jesus is worthy of worship based on things we can glean out from the bible that paints him rather negatively, that's a tough one. I don't mind having a bit of fun with the bible and making people question themselves but I try to stop short of telling them they worship an evil god. I don't really believe that anyway.

Is Jesus evil? If I were to believe the bible and also believe that the gods of the old testament and Jesus were truly the same, then the answer would be am emphatic "yes". However, I don't think they are supposed to be the same. The old testament creator of Adam is not Jesus if I were to believe the bible. They are completely separate beings.

The story of Jesus could have been plugged in to any religion at the time. The gods of the old testament were evil, no doubt. Nearly every single thing acted out by the gods of the OT was done from a position of fear, rage, and jealousy. Some call that "love" but we send men who love like that to prison now days.

So I don't think that Jesus is evil because I don't believe Jesus is the OT god. This is what allows me to view Christians as well-intentioned.
edit on 18-11-2012 by Cuervo because: grammar...

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by namine

9. Matthew and Luke both provide genealogies for Jesus, going all the way back to Adam. Using both of those lists, who was Joseph’s father?

The genealogy list in Matthew is that of Joseph. The genealogy list in Luke is that of Mary.

In those times, it was customary for the genealogy lists to only include the names of the men that ruled over the families, unless the particular mother was imperative to determining the genealogy, then it was included.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by namine

5. If nothing can come from nothing, then how did God create the universe out of nothing?

I believe someone already mentioned the fact that it was created from sound.

So too shall it end with a "great noise".

2 Peter 3:10

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by namine

True, not all of them are specifically Christian related, some are philosophical, some even silly. The videos are mostly tongue-in-cheek after all.

I would say that if even one of the questions fails, to be unanswered by anyone really. Not just Christians. Then the videos and the author, along with the childish faces and the ugly head on his shoulders, that no one should want to take out in public, or even to a crack house for that matter. Are a total fail. Seeing that they are no longer 20 questions that can't be answered by Christians.

See how I can take that to mean only Christians can't answer these questions ? Which I know you didn't mean by your post.

K? Semantics do matter.
edit on 18-11-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicarious10000
reply to post by boymonkey74

What causes that kenetic energy? All it is, is bass and tenor! WHat you may not realise is that everything on the planet right now reflects something in the cosmos and everything in this reality reflects everything on the other side.

So by and far you do not understand as above so below.

I have a scientific theory that if you stand in front of a moving bus, you will be hit and die.

You have a religious belief that god will intervene and save you.

Lets test. I bet my science trumps your god.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Can science tell you how stupid that is ?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Then prove with out any doubt Evolution! Dna in and of itself discredits this theory. How did the split DNA decide weather plant or animal? Can you get animal DNA from plants? Can you get human DNA from a squid?
The evidence in evolution is scetchy at best but people still blindly follow. HMMMMM sounds like a religion to me!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
That is a very simple question to answer.

The Shepard has control.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by winofiend

Can science tell you how stupid that is ?

YES!!! It can fairly accurately describe the physics involved and the detrimental outcome sustained by anyone involved in a collision with a moving bus.

We can test this, and repeat the tests to obtain corroborating evidence that shows the outcome will be the same.

That's why Science in all of it's hands on wonder, is really cool.

In the mean time, pool old buddy gets to look god in the eye and ask him "My God, my God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?"- Tickets please..

edit on 18-11-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join