It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Questions Christians Can't Answer!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Added the questions to the OP for anyone who can't watch the vids.

Thanks to everyone for participating in the thread.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Please tell me if it is worth watching.
I just skipped ahead a little and he was saying Noah's ark was air tight. Really? Anyone can read that they put window type holes in the ark, so there goes one question he could of answered himself.
I will not bother to watch a video of a guy making up questions that are just ignorant.

However, being that it's your post, if you could give me one, or two good questions off his list of 20, maybe it will intrigue me enough to watch them.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Vicarious10000

I give up I really do.
No point trying to reason with some people, I could spend my time showing you facts to do with it but you will just come up with some mumbo jumbo and put your fingers in your ears singing tra la la.
Goodnight all.

Actually buddy I do alot of scietific research even if it means watching documentarys and reading books. I'm just smart enough to look at what I'm being taught and then seeing the samething in what our ancestors were trying to explain through the way that they saw the world.

Remember half the vocabulary that exists today didn't exist then. My eyes and ears are wide open.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
reply to post by Vicarious10000

Now we are talking about Atlantians, they were clever as they were genetically engineered. Intresting myth.

But you missed my point, Testaments were written by people at that time not by God or Jesus. And the fact they were written by people is a scientific fact. Old testament was written 1400 B.C, they were no longer cave men.
edit on 18-11-2012 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

Well Summeria was a real place believe it or not we have many artifacts and scientific beliefs that originate from there to prove it.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
It does make for interesting discussion, in theory, but in reality it mostly would create an opportunity to thrash Christians for what we believe. Not exactly a troll thread, but you know the proverb about "not throwing pearls before pigs too ... ". I'm not trying to say athiests are pigs in that - not at all! - I'm thinking what the point might be in attempting that large project only to set yourself up for comments from the 'rogues gallery' here. I'm seeing a rise of a lot of anti-religious sentiment on this board, and people who are thinking they've cracked or mystery wide open, nothing more to do but "explain what the ashes of a good idea were". The truth of it is, it's really no different from athiests bashing away at religious notions twenty yers ago, fifteen years ago, or yesterday.

I attribute it to personality differences, and believe demons haunt any notion which suggests itself as holy, sacred, relating to God or heaven in any way, and even the notion of their own existance. That's for us to recognize and you to figure out. But snce you've already over-complexified the issues to suit your intellectual scope, I suppose you won't want my words, I muse.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Everyone take note of what actually goes on in a thread like this: nothing gets solved, people state their opinion and mud is thrown.

It's amazing what we'll do to justify our own egos. Human nature is great comedy sometimes. We really are primates!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
My simple Question to Christians is...

Where did those Giant Lizards (Dinosaurs) come from?

Simple question, simple answer. The Bible says animals came before man (and so does science). What are dinosaurs if not animals that came before man?
edit on 18-11-2012 by OMsk3ptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I would like to add a question;
Whats with the no last names?
Jesus who?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Thank you for showing some of the questions, I now see it would be a waste of time to watch the videos.

As i look over them again, I see most can be answered from the same Bible this guy most-likely did not read.

He seems to be one of them "I don't like/believe the same as you and I'm right your wrong, look at me, look at me!" kind of people. (just my opinion)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty
reply to post by schuyler

Thank you for showing some of the questions, I now see it would be a waste of time to watch the videos.

As i look over them again, I see most can be answered from the same Bible this guy most-likely did not read.

He seems to be one of them "I don't like/believe the same as you and I'm right your wrong, look at me, look at me!" kind of people. (just my opinion)

If you bothered to watch it all his questions are based off statements made in the bible. You don't believe they're there? Read the whole book and come back and prove what he was asking is baseless.

If you don't take the bible word for word these questions ultimately don't matter and thats the point.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Everyone take note of what actually goes on in a thread like this: nothing gets solved, people state their opinion and mud is thrown.

It's amazing what we'll do to justify our own egos. Human nature is great comedy sometimes. We really are primates!

Wow thanks for showing me the
smiley oh and yes you are right and I'am the proof

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Ah but humans don't throw their pooh !

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

We would if we could get away with it...bombs or poo..I pick poo

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by namine

Most of those you would call "Christians" probably wouldn't consider me to be a christian. I do have some beliefs in common with them, and I was raised in a very christian family. I have also studied this "religion,"* quite a bit, so i may be able to give a couple answers.

(*"Christianity" is more a collection of many closely-related religions, in my opinion, as some christian churches or sects can have widely varying beliefs)

I do have to say I find it odd that some people seem to be almost on a mission to mock christianity. I find it funny that often, to those who are far more well-versed in the subject, such mocking inquiries can come across as very highly ignorant, and indicative of that person's low intelligence. It seems it's become trendy among psuedo-intellectuals to become "atheist." IMO "atheism" is a religion in itself-- as they are relying ON FAITH that there is no god. God is presently an unprovable thing one way or another. So if you have FAITH that there is no god, you are...ta-DA!.....part of a religion.

1,2- Noah's ark... this one couldn't be easier. My version of this answer you may feel is a cop-out. I do not. Do not take the whole bible literally. Just don't. Because it's not. Many biblical scholars (even those who agree that the bible contains some historical fact) also agree that not the whole bible is a literal history. Much is allegorical.

Further, there is some evidence that there was a flood in the REGION (not the whole world) in biblical times. Records of this exist in extra-biblical writing from the region. If it was only a regional flood, this negates his first question. His second question is a stupid engineering problem, really. Hey, some people think there were ancient aliens... in which case maybe Noah's "ark" was pressurized and oxygenated.

3- The "punishment" in the eden story is not the kind of punishment that we normally think of. They didn't get a spanking. They had their eyes opened. They REALIZED many things, including their own mortality. The punishment is in the gift. We live in a world of opposites, where for any thing to exist in this reality, its opposite must exist. We were given free will, but in order for tangible "this-ness" to exist, as well as freedom of choice, there HAS TO be evil, suffering, pain, etc. This is what the garden story is talking about....

4- The next answer is contained in the last. In this world, for anything to exist, there must be "a thing" and "its opposite." Opposition provides form. As such, evil and temptation are actually a part of "the plan." My personal take is that "Satan" may describe a part of ourSELVES. You know... that little part of your brain that tells you to do stuff...the part that tempts you? Yep--that one. Even if "Satan" were a real, external entity, it would still have to fit into the ultimate plan in this same way.

5- WTF? Why does this even matter? Really dumb question, IMO, without further elaboration.

6- Okay... this is getting even dumber than I first anticipated. And that's "impressive." Again, I ask you... why does this even matter? Is this guy suggesting that there is a variation in the scriptural accounts between gospels? Congratulations, genius-- you spotted a scriptural inconsistency. They do seem to happen here and there, especially in the New Testament. Keep in mind that the bible is an edited collection of books, some of which were written long after the life of Christ. And given the history of certain church "leaders" omitting or changing what they saw fit, it is possible a detail got lost here or there. Not to mention that some parts of certain modern English translations are atrocious compared to the original. Blah blah blah... I really hope the rest of the questions are more intelligent....

7- Oh...so now you admit that some parts may be allegorical? Convenient. And I can't wholly answer this question. You'd have to ask someone from the Nicene committee. I did not choose the books of the bible, nor do I agree with all of it, nor do I agree with some of the omissions. FWIW genesis was both literal and allegorical. Sure, that sounds weird... but so is the Bible.

8- Hey, let's just nit-pick about the same stupid points. By "same" I mean that this is the same as I mention in numbers 6 and 7 above. Inconsistencies exist. There are reasons for that. He's picking some really minor, dumb ones too that have nothing to do with the spiritual aspect of these texts.

9- If I'm not mistaken, genealogies would have typically been traced through the mother's line, not the father's. I think I read an involved explanation of this once, but I'm not bringing it back ATM. I'm also starting to regret having wasted my time with this nonsense. Who knows... maybe Joseph was born of a virgin.
I have read something indicating the fact that Jesus' family was pretty well-to-do, whomever they were....

10-- Ah yes, more trifling nonsense about New-Testament gospel inconsistencies which are nearly irrelevant. Imagine if 10 ATS members, by memory, tried to write accounts of the Kennedy Assassination, each writing 10-100 years apart from each other. How many details do you think might differ? If I remember correctly, the gospel of John is believed to be the oldest (though I've heard at least one scholar put his money on Matthew)

Oh god... I was REALLY hoping video 2 was going to be by someone else. Well... I guess I'll strap myself in for 10 more really dumb quesitons about minor and meaningless NT-inconsistencies....

1- At least this isn't a dumb inconsistency question. Though it is pretty epically dumb. If you believe in the existence of a soul, and the afterlife... then there is no such thing as "losing" something by killing it. And how would that be a sacrifice? Well... how's about someone nails you to a piece of wood for a while. Don't worry, we'll let you off after a few hours-- no death involved. What's that? You'll pass? Why ever would you not want to do that? I mean... we'll let you get off, after a while. No sacrifice.

2- Dumbest question of all. I don't know if this guy is so stupid as to equate some preacher or church, with an all-knowing and all-powerful god, but this is really almost too dumb to bear. God does not ask for money. Men do things in the name of god. Lots of things. Vile things. This question almost makes me want to send this guy an angry email, it's so idiotic.

3- Oh my! This one actually sounds like a somewhat decent question. Not too good, though. I thought atheists were supposed to be all logical and stuff. Why does god regret making him king (a fact this guy does not mention)? It is because Saul disobeyed. Remember-- we have free will. Because of free will and duality, god's plan allows for evil and disappointment. If god wanted everything to turn out in a way that wouldn't disappoint him, why would he even bother to give us free will? Why not just make us do exactly what he wants?

Also consider that this book was not written in english, and "regret" may not be the perfect word here. Lots of errors in biblical interpretation, IMO, come back to really poor translation. Some versions have this word as "grieved" not "regretted." Let's see what Strong's has to say about the ORIGINAL word:

Nacham (verb)

1) to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, comfort, be comforted

a) (Niphal)

1) to be sorry, be moved to pity, have compassion

2) to be sorry, rue, suffer grief, repent

3) to comfort oneself, be comforted

4) to comfort oneself, ease oneself

www.blueletterbible.org...

What I read was that he didn't like what he saw. He was upset by Saul's free will choice. Simple as that.

4- Ooh. He's getting better at these. Only took him 14 warm-up questions. This is more philosophical than biblical, as the bible does not address this. Maybe god designed itself. Maybe god always existed. Maybe god was created in a reverse causal chain by us?

5- Ah, back to semi-dumb questions. I say "semi-dumb" as this question has NOTHING (irony?) to do with Christianity, or even religion. At this point, he's just philosophizing. If nothing can come from nothing, where did the universe come from? Ask god.

6- If something can come from nothing, why do we need god to create the universe? Um... who ever said this is possible? Maybe something can come from nothing only if god wills it. Loop back to question 5. Stupid. Error. Stupid. Error. Stupid. Error. Stupiiiiii.....

7- I'm not sure the basis of his question is even correct. I am sure certain christian sects would absolutely disagree with that. He is actually making SEVERAL assumptions with this question. Poor ones, too. I don't feel like untangling this giant ball of stupid.

8- Yes, he allowed it... why do the questions have to follow the very same theme (free will, inconsistencies, blah) and yet get dumber and dumber?

9- Because science works, and sometimes it is easier. I should note that some christians DO NOT "run to science," when they get sick. I should further point out that this verse does not prohibit them from doing so, either. What it DOES say is this:

14 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.

Emphasis Added. My take here (and this is my actual belief) is that this kind of thing does not work without the faith that it will work. Most people just don't have that kind of faith. Faith (in miracles, and one's ability to perform them) is actually a central theme of Christ's teachings.

10-- This is not an actual question. I'm not going to break this down part by part. I'll consider doing it later if I'm bored. For now I've wasted enough of my time typing rational responses to people who likely have a strong faith in their no-god, and will not listen. As stated I do not agree with everything in the bible. I do, however, believe that many of Christ's teachings and attitudes would be beneficial for humanity, if that is the part of the message people focused on most... which it often is not. Central to this, I believe, is the idea that we are all "sons of god," and that we are all capable of the kind of miracles he is alleged to have performed.

Next time please ask your own intelligent questions, or otherwise at least find videos from someone who isn't a complete moron.
edit on 18-11-2012 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2012 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by randyvs

We would if we could get away with it...bombs or poo..I pick poo

Well seeing that you're a BOYMONKEY I guess can understand that.
I jest ! Don't hate on me .

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I'm not of the Abrahamic faiths but I'd like to take a crack at it. Also, since many Christians think I'm of their "Satan", I may as well play devil's advocate on their behalf.

Originally posted by namine
1. When Noah’s ark landed, how did the kangaroos make it back to Australia?

The simplest answer is they could have hopped there. The geography of Earth after the flood could have changed the landscape enough to allow for land bridges. Or perhaps they were traded? They aren't the only marsupials so there is some evolutionary discrepancies that could be argued for the sake of exclusivity.

I think most Christians will probably tell you it's not literal, though.

2. If the ark was covered in pitch or tar to make it watertight, it also made it airtight -- how did the animals survive more than one or two days living in complete darkness without any fresh air? Remember, the rain lasted 40 days and 40 nights. Noah couldn’t open the window in the top.

None of that was in the bible.

3. Since Adam and Eve didn’t know right from wrong before eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, why did God then punish them for something they didn’t understand they were doing?

The answer is that the god of the bible commanded them not to so it didn't require any moral reasoning on their behalves.

Better question would be why did the Serpent tell them the truth about the tree when their god lied to them? The tree did not kill them and instead gave them knowledge. Just like the Serpent said it would.

4. Why would God place a forbidden tree in the garden so close to his innocent creation and allow Satan to tempt them into eating from it, all the while looking on without doing a thing to prevent it?

I don't think the one who created Adam and Eve was omnipotent. He had limitations and may have not had a choice as to where the tree went. He had to actually look for them afterwards so apparently he wasn't as onmiscient as thought by many who follow the doctrine.

5. When the women went to Jesus’s empty tomb, was the stone already rolled away, or did the angels roll it away after the women got there?

In one account, Mary saw the angel do it. In the others it was open when they got there. Pick your favorite.

6. On the first day of the week, when Jesus rose from the dead, how many women went to the tomb, and which ones?

Again, depends on your favorite account. If you put them together, it seems as if five women visited his tomb.

7. If you believe the creation account in Genesis is mere allegory, then why don’t you throw out Paul’s epistles? Because he believed that the creation account was a historical fact.

Probably because Paul wasn't expected to be all-knowing. He was just a dude.

8. How many donkeys did Jesus ride in his triumphal entry into Jerusalem? Was it one donkey, like Mark, Luke and John say? Or was it two donkeys like Matthew said?

Pick your apostle and roll with it.

9. Matthew and Luke both provide genealogies for Jesus, going all the way back to Adam. Using both of those lists, who was Joseph’s father?

I think most Christians are going to answer with "It doesn't matter" because Jesus wasn't supposed to have been born from Joseph but by immaculate conception.

A better question would be "how was Jesus a guy?" If he was immaculately conceived, he would only have Mary's chromosomes which wouldn't include the variable x-factor required to be a boy. By all accounts, Jesus should have been a girl.

10. Was Jesus crucified on the first day of the Passover like the gospel of John says? Or the next day like the other three gospels say?

More testimony discrepancies. Just pick your favorite.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
The other ten:

1. The Bible tells us that God sacrificed his only son so that we can go to Heaven (John 3:16), but the Bible also tells us that he raised his son back from the dead again. If God didn’t really lose his son, then how is that a sacrifice?

It was thought that counts in this case. Obviously, Jesus believed he was ended because he even cries out to his god, questioning his fate.

This alone proves to me that the Christian belief in there being Jesus and "God" all rolled into one godball is crap. If Jesus was literally the Christian god, then it would not have been a sacrifice at all since that would be more like cutting your hair when you know you have a great wig in the closet.

2. If God is all-knowing and all-powerful, and has everything under control, why does he keep asking for money every Sunday?

People ask for money, not a god. The bible says to tithe a percentage of your bounty but there are some extensive rules on it and can basically go to charity if you wanted it to.

3. The Bible tells us that God regretted making Saul king (1 Samuel 15:11), but if that’s the case, doesn’t that mean God didn’t know the future? Because if he knew he was going to regret making Saul king, he would’ve never done it in the first place.

Free will.

The problem with that, of course, is that it jeopardizes the potency of all prophecies in the bible. If I were a Christian and thought long enough on this paradox, I'd start to wonder if Satan just might end up on top in the end since the Christian god can't seem to predict away free will.

4. If every complex design requires a designer, who designed God?

That's a bit of a campfire question. This could be posed to anybody, atheists and theists alike.

5. If nothing can come from nothing, then how did God create the universe out of nothing?

I think you meant "can't".

There are a lot of physical laws that the Christian god violates in the bible since he is, you know, the "almighty". I think asking why a supernatural being can do something supernatural is kind of silly. Short answer? Magic.

6. If something can come from nothing, why do we need God to create the universe?

See above questions.

7. If everyone who ever lived, prior to Jesus, could get into heaven by simply believing God (Romans 4:17, Galatians 3:6, James 2:23), like Abraham did, doesn’t that make Jesus a little superfluous?

Jesus was supposed to be the guy who made the super strict rules superfluous. Jews had to live an impossibly hard life just to make it and Jesus was like "pfftt..."

8. The Bible tells us that God isn’t willing that anybody should perish (2 Peter 3:9), but his holy word has been corrupted through the ages by mankind, so doesn’t that mean that God either allowed it to be corrupted, or he was unable to keep it from being corrupted?

The Christian belief is that it hasn't been corrupted by men through the ages and that, instead, it has been divinely preserved through a series of miracles.

9. In the book of James, God instructs Christians on what they should do when they get sick (James 5:14-15). There’s supposed to pray and lay hands on the sick person, and God promises to heal them, so why do you ignore God’s command and run to science every time you get sick? (WHOOOOOOOOA)

To be fair, some Christians do that with their kids and they are (rightly so) thrown in prison for neglect. They also don't stone people in the streets. I wouldn't be complaining or questioning this evolution.

10. The Bible tells us that Jesus threw a huge temper tantrum in the Jewish temple (John 2:15). He actually made a whip, and whipped these people, and drove them out of the temple, but not before overturning their tables and spilling their money everywhere. The Bible also tells us that Jesus called a Canaanite woman a dog (Mark 7:27). And Jesus insulted the Pharisees by calling them derogatory names at every turn (Matthew 23:13-33). Jesus also lied to his own disciples (John 7:8-10); they asked him if he was going to the feast, he said, “no, my time’s not yet come.” And he turns around and goes to the feast.
etc, etc,

That is the ultimate question. Apparently many think it's worth it. If you were to take all of the genocide by Jesus (since he's god, right?) and all of the other horrible crimes and compare it to anything Satan had done (like liberating Eve with the truth), I think an objective person would pick out Satan as the protagonist.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
Better question would be why did the Serpent tell them the truth about the tree when their god lied to them? The tree did not kill them and instead gave them knowledge. Just like the Serpent said it would.

I do find your question very interesting, despite its seeming luciferian / gnostic bias.

Some believe that Adam and Eve were actually immortal prior to eating the fruit. If that were the case, it would mean eating it did, in fact, kill them.

I think another interesting interpretation of this is that upon eating the fruit they realized they would one day die. This may even accord with the fact that it was supposedly the tree of knowledge. And I don't know about you... but the day I realized (not intellectually, but in a very real, present, OMG-kind-of-sense) that I would one day die and rot, I felt a little bit "down." Some might argue that knowledge itself was a punishment.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by namine

The answers to the questions you seek are with'in you..

or

Find the answers for yourself as I did.

or

Nice troll thread.

These are not my questions, but I AM trying to find the answers -- who better to ask than Christians who'd I expect to be well-versed with the Bible? And besides that, I'd like to hear their general views on the questions.

Not a troll thread!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam

Originally posted by Cuervo

I do find your question very interesting, despite its seeming luciferian / gnostic bias.

Some believe that Adam and Eve were actually immortal prior to eating the fruit. If that were the case, it would mean eating it did, in fact, kill them.

I think another interesting interpretation of this is that upon eating the fruit they realized they would one day die. This may even accord with the fact that it was supposedly the tree of knowledge. And I don't know about you... but the day I realized (not intellectually, but in a very real, present, OMG-kind-of-sense) that I would one day die and rot, I felt a little bit "down." Some might argue that knowledge itself was a punishment.

I'm no Luciferian nor a Gnostic. The question just begs to be asked when you read the account in Genesis. Even afterwards, Adam and Eve's god is talking to other gods saying that he's afraid of how powerful Adam and Eve are now. That god was basically mainstream media and authority figures rolled together and the Serpent was the guy trying to wake everybody up.

Like I said, I don't believe in the bible but if I did, I'd definitely be rooting for that Serpent fella.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join