It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Questions Christians Can't Answer!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by Philippines

Wouldn't Jesus be the authoritative source for this kind of question? It could be similar to asking what happens to a Jew in their afterlife who has never heard of God?

We don't have one SMIDGEN of writing by Jesus available to us. Perhaps somewhere, sometime, someone did (or does), but that's the problem with scripture. NONE OF IT was penned by Jesus.

From my current state of knowledge, I have to agree with you. I have not read any book written by Jesus, which in our day and time could be known as the diary of Jesus.

In my point of life now, I think there are many good stories and knowledge in the collective Christian bible, but it is not all 100% fact. I believe there is some good and probably some good accurately recorded history as well in the OT.

As for your post wildtimes: yeah. Jesus didn't author anything I know of. I guess he had people do that for him. Why would someone trying to make an example of themselves being humble, lowly, and more or less the semblance of a servant/slave, not do his own writing for himself, but instead rely on others to write/translate for him?

Blah. time for me to go to bed before going insane on tangents lol! =D

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I remember reading that the more inteligent a person is the less likely they are to believe in a god. I think it was down to 7% in the top 1%

I remember reading somewhere that the more intelligent a person is the less likely they will accept that we are being constantly visited by ET beings.... I think it was something like none of the top 50%

That was a joke, but I'm sure you knew that. It's actually the top 60%

What are the questions supposed to actually prove? Anything? None of the gospels are eye witness accounts but presumably are based on earlier information. Get 50 people to describe the same event and see how many of their statements correlate 100%.

Anyone who takes Genesis literally is out of date with most mainstream theology. What more do you want?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I find it a little strange that the most pivotal character in the Bible isn't allowed to speak for himself, except through other mens' words. Seems a little suspicious to me.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines

Thank you for your response! Really =) I have been searching for some form of a plausible answer for many months. I have read this before as well...

But, why are you quoting the supposed writings of Paul? Wouldn't Jesus be the authoritative source for this kind of question? It could be similar to asking what happens to a Jew in their afterlife who has never heard of God?

For one, the other disciples upheld Paul as a disciple of Jesus, so I don't withhold his teachings.

Secondly, they were the easiest to find. This isn't the easiest subject to research, but let me know if this helps.

Psalm 15:1-5

A psalm of David.

1 Lord, who may dwell in your sacred tent?
Who may live on your holy mountain?
2 The one whose walk is blameless,
who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from their heart;
3 whose tongue utters no slander,
who does no wrong to a neighbor,
and casts no slur on others;
4 who despises a vile person
but honors those who fear the Lord;
who keeps an oath even when it hurts,
and does not change their mind;
5 who lends money to the poor without interest;
who does not accept a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things
will never be shaken.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Would you care to elaborate on your view of "the problem"?

The longer we put everything (including math) above God, the faster we're going to decline.

Science should be held with respect, but not placed before God. God should be respected first and foremost, otherwise, we're going to see that which we hold so dear be our demise.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

Originally posted by Philippines

Thank you for your response! Really =) I have been searching for some form of a plausible answer for many months. I have read this before as well...

But, why are you quoting the supposed writings of Paul? Wouldn't Jesus be the authoritative source for this kind of question? It could be similar to asking what happens to a Jew in their afterlife who has never heard of God?

For one, the other disciples upheld Paul as a disciple of Jesus, so I don't withhold his teachings.

Secondly, they were the easiest to find. This isn't the easiest subject to research, but let me know if this helps.

Psalm 15:1-5

A psalm of David.

1 Lord, who may dwell in your sacred tent?
Who may live on your holy mountain?
2 The one whose walk is blameless,
who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from their heart;
3 whose tongue utters no slander,
who does no wrong to a neighbor,
and casts no slur on others;
4 who despises a vile person
but honors those who fear the Lord;
who keeps an oath even when it hurts,
and does not change their mind;
5 who lends money to the poor without interest;
who does not accept a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things
will never be shaken.

Hey man, welcome back, thanks for participating! Again, I am seeking answers and hope to not appear as a troll or anything. I am utilizing my life "church" experience and trying to be objective with things I read.

To begin... You start by saying that the disciples of Jesus (the people who were with Jesus during his preaching/gospel) -- those people also acknowledge Paul, the supposed writer of Romans and the supposed author of many other New Testament books -- those same disciples upheld Paul as an equal, if not greater disciple even though he never met Jesus in the flesh?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

To begin... You start by saying that the disciples of Jesus (the people who were with Jesus during his preaching/gospel) -- those people also acknowledge Paul, the supposed writer of Romans and the supposed author of many other New Testament books -- those same disciples upheld Paul as an equal, if not greater disciple even though he never met Jesus in the flesh?

Yes, the disciples upheld Paul as an equal and some of them traveled with him on his journeys to preach the gospel.

The Holy Spirit bore witness of Paul to the others.
edit on 20-11-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

The longer we put everything (including math) above God, the faster we're going to decline.

Science should be held with respect, but not placed before God. God should be respected first and foremost, otherwise, we're going to see that which we hold so dear be our demise.

Now, let's replace the word "God" in your statements with "LOVE."

The longer we put everything (including math) above LOVE, the faster we're going to decline.

Science should be held with respect, but not placed before LOVE. LOVE should be respected first and foremost, otherwise, we're going to see that which we hold so dear be our demise.

Dee,
it's about compassion, and looking after one another. It isn't about God. Unless you want to go with the "God is love" definition.
In my heart, God is love, and laughter. Music, and math, and this beautiful planet. Humans have defiled the planet, and each other. Where is God? = "Where is LOVE?"

Love is in the eyes of a new mother gazing at her long-awaited, tiny, helpless child. It's in the tears shed for the heartache of another. It's that thing that when you finally "feel" it answers the question of what the word means.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Last I checked, everything we have that's keeping us safe today can be credited to science, not "God". I'm not going to thank "God" for something he didn't give me. People might give me lots of stuff because of their veneration for him, but that's me benefiting from their delusion. That's not my fault.

When "God" decides to take a hand in this world and not just let it crash and burn, maybe I'll consider it.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Out of sheer curiosity, where did you get that avatar from? I was reading your post, and it reminded me very strongly of that image...the display of profound emotion where there should be none, where only cold logic should exist, and yet there's irrational feeling, there's a connection that transcends wires and metal.

A very fitting post for your avatar.

edit on 20-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
And let's also ask this question:
Are atheists incapable of LOVE? Or Buddhists, or Hindus, or Jews, or anyone else?
Of course not.

The only people INCAPABLE of love are psychopaths.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by madenusa
I would like to add a question;
Whats with the no last names?
Jesus who?

Uhhh, last names (surnames) are relatively modern. In societies where everyone knows everyone, or where people live, or their profession, there was no need for a surname. That is why so many surnames now are based on the place of living/profession/family. This was fairly much worldwide and still is the case in many parts of the world.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Found it doing an image search one day ("Steampunk women" I think); it fit my mood perfectly. Being humiliated and yelled at because of some infraction I had committed against the wishes of a mighty foe.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The only people INCAPABLE of love are psychopaths.

Nein. They simply don't know how to handle love. Their wires are crossed, and emotions interconnect and react differently for them.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This whole thing is such a pointless argument. The Atheists believe there is no god. Christians believe there is. So what? We each believe our own thing. Some of us agree to disagree. Problem solved.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

What do you think, AfterInfinity?

Do you think LOVE is all we need?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

This whole thing is such a pointless argument. The Atheists believe there is no god. Christians believe there is. So what? We each believe our own thing. Some of us agree to disagree. Problem solved.

r2d2,
the problem won't be "solved" until everyone agrees on the eventual discovery of the TRUTH. Like everyone agrees on MATH.
Disagreement is the heart of conflict. So, it's not pointless at all.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I feel that way too sometimes. I've been brought into a world I didn't choose, encouraged to worship a being I don't care for, and threatened with a fate I feel I don't deserve. I feel as if all of my choices are being stripped from me little by little, and every time I defend my freedom to be who I am, I am berated for having the audacity to oppose some Grand Design or another, whether the puppet master by god or man.

It irritates me to no end, which is why I've removed myself from the game. Since then, I've made a hobby of dropping "red pills" everywhere I go, hoping someone will find the testicular fortitude and durability of spirit to swallow one and see this world for what it has become, and see the shadowmen who lurk behind the curtains that dazzle us with gold and pleasure.

I can't say it's been very satisfying, but neither can I say that I've really found anything else worth doing. As I said, I didn't choose to be here. Is it my fault that I find no fulfillment in being human?

Perhaps that is why your picture of machines EXPERIENCING speaks to me so much...
edit on 20-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Nein. They simply don't know how to handle love. Their wires are crossed, and emotions interconnect and react differently for them.

Given that psychopathy is a fairly general term, I will defer to your correction. I'm talking about the Personality Disordered who have no ability to attach to another human, or to experience empathy or vicarious pain. But you make a good point....

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I can't say it's been very satisfying, but neither can I say that I've really found anything else worth doing. As I said, I didn't choose to be here. Is it my fault that I find no fulfillment in being human?

I think perhaps your "pill-dropping" and efforts to show another side of things to those with "firm" opinions and beliefs is a fulfillment after all. It's not your fault that you have the personality and concerns that you do.

If you are doing your best to assist others in awakening, that's worthwhile. Maybe not satisfying, but certainly worthwhile.

P.S. EDIT: I'd like to see your answer to Deetermined's question above.
edit on 20-11-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join