It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Questions Christians Can't Answer!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DondeEsta?
A christian willing to spread the gospel only if your conditions are met?

You heard me correctly, yes. If you want "the gospel preached to you" then go find yourself an evangelist. I am not that man. A game is being played here- and what game has no rules? I've provided the rules of the game. If the OP wants to play the game, let him abide by the rules. If not, I will consider the game forfeit and take my leave. Simple enough.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
1. I thought geography was different then??

2. apparently they did not believe in windows or ventilation back then.

3. he punished them for not coming clean. he gave an opportunity to come clean but they lied and played the blame game. he punished them after he called them out on the lies.

4. To give them a choice. if they had no choice they would be no different than a dog.

5. google is your friend.

6. mary

7. wait wait what??

8. i thought it was a donkey and a colt?? maybe a mule??

9. I forgot the answer i got when i asked this

10. google is your friend.
en.wikipedia.org...

1. John 3:16 doesn't say sacrifice at least in teh verisions i looked up. he was just supposed to keep the law and die for our sins. Last i recall jesus is no longer on earth.. so his physical body is gone. so his body is dead but what Jesus is, is still alive. it coincides with peoples body dieing and their spirit living on after that.

2. YOu are supposed to tither on sunday to support his servants. If God would give out cash to those who follow him how many people would just join for that reason.. OH wait they do tv evangelist and indulgences back in the day to get out purgatory. asking for money beyond what is needed is mans doing.

3. God gives choice i think sometiems it bites him in teh butt.

4. God wasn't designed.

5. that's why he is God and we are creations. he made the rules of nothing coming from nothing.

6. Because the one who makes the rules runs the show.

7. Romans 4:17
New International Version (NIV)
17 As it is written: “I have made you a father of many nations.”[a] He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed—the God who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that were not. waht???no talka botu heaven here.

Galatians 3:6
Common English Bible (CEB)
Abraham: an example of righteousness

6 Understand that in the same way that Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness,[a]
what?? it does not mention heaven there

James 2:23
Common English Bible (CEB)
23 So the scripture was fulfilled that says, Abraham believed God, and God regarded him as righteous.[a] What is more, Abraham was called God’s friend. is righteous teh same as heaven???

8.. God also says the path to him is very narrow. The most essential message still come true and that is teh message christ brings to us. It is to be believed by faith if you don't well that is a choice God allows you to make. The message is still there its that there is too much crap going against it for anyone to hear it or want to hear it.

9. It does not say not to go to science. I bet some pagan religion would have said a witch doctor kinda like a doctor here i guess they are elders.. it is open to interpretation i guess but praying is always involved. Science is just discovering Gods creation. what is done with that science can either be used to pervert the world or help the world. it can be misused. the only time i have gone to get medical attention was when I fell of a bridge (which i should actually be dead) or when my wife does not get off my back about it.

24 Jesus left that place and went into the region of Tyre. He didn’t want anyone to know that he had entered a house, but he couldn’t hide. 25 In fact, a woman whose young daughter was possessed by an unclean spirit heard about him right away. She came and fell at his feet. 26 The woman was Greek, Syrophoenician by birth. She begged Jesus to throw the demon out of her daughter. 27 He responded, “The children have to be fed first. It isn’t right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”

28 But she answered, “Lord, even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.”

29 “Good answer!” he said. “Go on home. The demon has already left your daughter.” 30 When she returned to her house, she found the child lying on the bed and the demon gone. this is new to me. maybe i don't know how to read or read between the lines. how did he call her a dog??

25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye cleanse the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full from extortion and excess. yeah he got raw on those pharisees.

(John 7:8-10); they asked him if he was going to the feast, he said, “no, my time’s not yet come.” And he turns around and goes to the feast. His time to feast in judea was not at hand so he feasted in galilee.... the disciples went to judea and he stayed in galilee. The jews in judea where trying to kill him. so he stayed in galilee and sent his disciples off.

Matthew 10:24 every translation i read is a servant.

the definition of servant is
one that serves others ; especially : one that performs duties about the person or home of a master or personal employer

today we use employee.. someone employed by another.
by another usually for wages or salary and in a position below the executive level. synonyms are drudge wage slave
edit on 19-11-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by namine

back then not many people owned land so servants lived with their masters. I would live with my boss i guess.

That still goes on today. we are slaves to an extent. we just do not live along side our masters anymore. he says to be a good employee??

The fool comment has to do with your anger and what will happen if it escalates.

The one about killing children. It is believed if you do not obey your parents you will lead a life that will lead to your demise. so it says to leave them to death. Kinda like the wages of sin is death. In the OT yes by stoning. In the NT if you do not receive christ your sins can result in death, not necessarily send you to hell. The only way to go to hell is to not accept christ.
deuteronomy was in the old testament and there was stoning back on there on the regular according to the law of moses. Stick to the new testament.

I didn't see any pedo stuff unless you can hilite it for me.

sorry about grammar and overall format. I am at work and I am paying more attention to my work than this post.

Some what clever observations by this and many people would not know how to answer without just saying OH ITS GOD. i can give better answers but like i said i am at work and im just winging these out as i get a chance.

I have better ones to attack christianity and I am a christian. You rookie.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines

Originally posted by MarkJS

Originally posted by karen61560

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by MarkJS

so let me ask you a question now... what great belief is it that you have - that we should follow?

Well, I wouldn't dream of asking you to start off too fast - so let's start with critical thinking, shall we? I want you to come up with three reasons that Christianity may not be the only path to spiritual fulfillment. Remember, I'm not saying to deny Christianity, I'm saying to open a few seats around Christianity so it can share the spotlight. Train yourself to not be so spiritually seclusive. I think that'll do for a start.

That's a copout... Us Christians go way out of the way to express the truth... but you stay covert. Right....

reply to post by AfterInfinity

The bottom-line, is that no one, ever, was argued into the kingdom. Questions may be asked - then answered. But the work of changing a person's heart to accept Jesus is from God. After a point, God has to take over. I pray that He takes over for you and all that are questioning Christianity, the Bible, and God Himself.

It cant happen. Christianity is not the only religion and Jehova is not the only god. ( according to other religions) Would a real god turn his back on 2/3 of his creations? How do the Buddists get to heaven? or do only Christians go to heaven? And where is heaven anyway? In outer space? On another planet? In the spaces between the oxygen molecules ?

to put it short: Christianity is the only religion. Don't believe me? Ask God Himself. That will be the real only way you will be convinced.

Where is heaven? Dunno exactly... Somewhere up there. I know where it's not... on earth..

Ok, I'll chime in. In the past I considered myself a Christian until I realized how screwed up organized religion is. I have found that most organized religious leaders are in it for the money and/or power. My parents were able to audit their 5000 member church after years of legal fights to be allowed to audit the non-profit org., only to find that the pastor, elders, and anyone else in their club was stealing the money.

Here is my question, which so far has no answer backed by scripture that I can find:

What happens to people who have died but NEVER heard the message of Christ?

For example, my wife's great grandfather is from a local indigenous tribe who was not exposed to Christianity until around 75 years ago. They NEVER heard of Christ until this century.

What happened to those who never heard of Christ? Do they go to heaven or hell? Please cite verses from the book of all answers - the bible - to backup whatever your answer is.

I know that there are American Indian stories of a 'Great White Spirit' visiting... and that - that spirit was Jesus. Then if true for that tribe, they probably had a genuine chance.

The bible kind of gives a way out for totally ignorant people. Jesus says:

Luke 12:48

New King James Version (NKJV)

48 But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.
Luke 12:48 NKJV

Following this logic.... if nothing was given, and they didn't know... and "commited sins deserving of stripes"... then their punishment would be light. But probably in those cases, any prayer to God with a wondering, questioning tone would suffice for Salvation(??) I don't know for sure... I'm just speculating.

Acts 2:21 goes as far as to say:

Acts 2:21

21 And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the Lord
Shall be saved.’
Acts 2:21 NKJV

... so it's safe to say that they would have had to call on 'The Lord'....not some flower or something.

That's about as far as I can go with this one, for those ancient people....

The thing that is most important right now though, is not those people... but You. You are the one that is exposed to the Good News, and who has a real chance to accept and Re-follow Jesus. What is your decision?

edit on 20/11/2012 by MarkJS because: changed to more closely accomodate the verse Luke 12:48 quoted.

edit on 20/11/2012 by MarkJS because: changed ending of post.

edit on 20/11/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
The last question in the 2nd Vid..please cometh forth and answer thy question cos that is a good one.
Oh and Jesus saying naughty kids should be killed oh man and people believe in this #e lol or *crys*
edit on 18-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

It's obvious.
God is a banker.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
What people who ask these questions fail to realize is that they cannot understand God. What God would do in any situation, and what man thinks he ought to do, are two completely different things. Why you ask? Because God possesses infinite wisdom, and to read or know the mind of God, one must possess that wisdom themselves. And as far as the Bible, I have always maintained that it is not a literal interpretation in most cases. The Bible is an amalgamation of many different authors, all of whom had different styles and techniques.

Not all books are the words of God. They were not given by God to those writing the books. Some however were claimed to be written under divine inspiration. But there are two different types of diving inspiration. First, there is the type where God gives word for word what the author is to write. Second, the author uses his or her own words, but is inspired by God to write. I am not positive where I stand on the religious spectrum, and I am not all that religious since I do not go to church anymore or anything. But I do study the history of the Bible, and the events contained within, just about every single day, if only for a little while.

And I have come to realize that many of the people who denounce the Bible or religion in general fail to understand key concepts that would answer the questions that they have. It is one thing to present legitimate questions, seeking answers to things one does not know. But I find that most people, by asking questions, are in fact making statements that the Bible cannot be true, or that God does not exist. But they do not come out and say this. Instead, they ask the questions like those the OP posted. To people like that, I say go educate yourselves before challenging something that many millions of people have tried to understand before you were born.

You do not have it all figured out, and I doubt if there is anyone alive who does. So get off of your high horse and do some reading, instead of trying to influence others with your opinions that are not founded or based on truth, but on lies and misunderstandings. And do you see everything I just wrote? THAT was divinely inspired. Not in the words I used, but in the ideas that I conveyed, because they just came out...I did not sit and think about what I was going to say. I just said it, but I know that I am right. I just feel it. It could also be my subconscious remembering everything that I have ever learned, but it cannot be shown that that is any different from divine inspiration, in one sense.
edit on 11/20/12 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrCobb

Ok, I'll chime in. In the past I considered myself a Christian until I realized how screwed up organized religion is.

Because if the people claiming to represent the book are screwed up then the book they claim to represent must also be screwed up, right? Spot on logic you got working for you there, chief(?) The fact is that, yes, organized religion is completely screwed up; but they're tap dancing on your grave because they've successfully screwed you up, too. Newsflash brah- they won; you're nothing but a lapdog of "Christianity"- everything you think you know about the bible comes straight through them: congrats on your wonderful choice of middle-man: now the question is- if you think they're all so "intelligent" (clearly, otherwise why would you consider that they must be interpreting the bible correctly enough to use their "understanding" as the foundation of your question?) why don't you go ahead and listen to their interpretation of science as well? Oh wait, let me guess- they're complete buffoons when it comes to understanding "science" but hand them a bible and suddenly they're all Alfred Einstien.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Here is my question, which so far has no answer backed by scripture that I can find:

For example, my wife's great grandfather is from a local indigenous tribe who was not exposed to Christianity until around 75 years ago. They NEVER heard of Christ until this century.

What happened to those who never heard of Christ? Do they go to heaven or hell? Please cite verses from the book of all answers - the bible - to backup whatever your answer is.

I know that there are American Indian stories of a 'Great White Spirit' visiting... and that - that spirit was Jesus. Then if true for that tribe, they probably had a genuine chance.

The bible kind of gives a way out for totally ignorant people. Jesus says:

Luke 12:48

48 But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.
Luke 12:48 NKJV

Following this logic.... if nothing was given, and they didn't know... and "commited sins deserving of stripes"... then their punishment would be light. But probably in those cases, any prayer to God with a wondering, questioning tone would suffice for Salvation(??) I don't know for sure... I'm just speculating.

Acts 2:21 goes as far as to say:

Acts 2:21

21 And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the Lord
Shall be saved.’
Acts 2:21 NKJV

... so it's safe to say that they would have had to call on 'The Lord'....not some flower or something.

That's about as far as I can go with this one, for those ancient people....

The thing that is most important right now though, is not those people... but You. You are the one that is exposed to the Good News, and who has a real chance to accept and Re-follow Jesus. What is your decision?

Hey there, thanks for the response. To begin with, and why this question is important in my opinion, is because the bible (new/old testaments) is touted to be the divinely inspired written word of God. It should be in itself without error based on that preface.

However, why is such an important issue about where people go after death who have never heard about Christ? Because the Christian church as I know it tries to convert people to Christianity by scaring people to believe they will go to "hell" if they don't accept/believe in Christ as their savior. If a person is spared the Christian "judgment" by not knowing, then why would someone try to convert anyone to Christianity?

To respond to your answers:

1. On the Native American "Great White Spirit" -- irrelevant unless it is in the bible, correct? Or else maybe Joseph Smith could be correct too.

2. With your Luke 12:48, I have seen that verse tried to be applied to the question I am asking, but it does not talk about heaven/hell. It is saying to be prepared for the return of Christ, and those who "know" of the "master" but aren't prepared will be given a worse punishment than those who don't know.

3. I find my question to be extremely important now, and in the past. The question is timeless. The bible/modern Christian belief in the heaven afterlife is crux on why people convert. If the bible cannot answer the question now, it couldn't answer it then, correct?

Did the whole heaven/hell judgment thing start immediately after the resurrection of Christ? Was there a grace period of 1000 years?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
it doesnt matter if each one of these answers were answered because you already in your heart mock it and see it as stupid. in fact theres even a verse in regards to a belief in the Unseen as being considered foolish by those who cant see it. i can answer all these questions for you but i wont, because all of these questions require a heart that seeks God, or is open to Him. if your closed to Him, as you obviously are, then it will seem foolish no matter what i say. let me give you an example though, to answer one of the questions. "how was there room for air if the ark was airtight". besides arguing the true meaning behind airtight and all of that, did you know that God himself closed the door to the ark? what makes you think if it truly was airtight, that God didnt provide the air as well? laugh all you want, but its things like this you dont see. you all look for logical and tangible answers, and they just arent there, because you would never have faith. i would argue even if these signs were there and appeased your whims, you would still not believe. a better question to ask, is to ask yourself why you ask us these questions, as though you have stumped our primitive brains. we already have faith, regardless of proof, but what would you do if you did have all the proof and evidence? would you find your way to heaven with your vast knowledge and intellect? you wouldnt have faith at all, and faith gets us to heaven, not some false sense of being all knowing and enlightened. personally i think assaults on beliefs like this are from people who are afraid and realize the vast nothingness that lays ahead of them, and want to bash others who dont have that fear, if your not already this way deep down, you will be someday. its been said the more you know, the more you dont know, so for all of you self enlightened super intellectuals, you should realize more than any of us, how futile life really is, and how the bleak vast nothingness your headed towards is. yeah ill take my old primitive brained book over your version of "science" and reason anyday.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
This usual argument that people hate religion is because of "wars".

People will find a way to fight wars and steal money regardless or religious beliefs, so leave them be.

In modern society you can live your life regardless of what you believe at the fullest, so why the constant bickering.

Live and let live

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Just one thing i have to ask. Why does everybody feel like religion is wrong because people do bad things?if a scientist lied about his information or tweaked some readings in his theory's favor. I wouldn't go as far as to blame the entire science community for his mistake. Or If I went out to get dinner somewhere like an outback steakhouse. Then the food sucked and was cooked poorly and my waiter/waitress was never around. I wouldn't go blaming the entire chain. I would probably hold the wait staff responsible..

“The natural life in each of us is something self-centred, something that wants to be petted and admired, to take advantage of other lives, to exploit the whole universe. And especially it wants to be left to itself: to keep well away from anything better or stronger or higher than it, anything that might make it feel small. It is afraid of the light and air of the spiritual world, just as people who have been brought up to be dirty are afraid of a bath. And in a sense it is quite right. It knows that if the spiritual life gets hold of it, all of its self-centredness and self-will are going to be killed and it is ready to fight tooth and nail to avoid that.”

“Consequently, if you do not listen to Theology, that will not mean that you have no ideas about God. It will mean that you have a lot of wrong ones - bad, muddled, out-of-date ideas. For a great many of the ideas about God which are trotted out as novelties today are simply the ones which real Theologians tried centuries ago and rejected. To believe in the popular religion of modern England is retrogression - like believing the earth is flat.”

“If anyone thinks that Christians regard unchastely as the supreme vice, he is quite wrong. The sins of the flesh are bad, but they are the least bad of all sins. All the worst pleasures are purely spiritual: the pleasure of putting other people in the wrong, of bossing and patronizing and spoiling sport, and back-biting, the pleasures of power, of hatred. For there are two things inside me, competing with the human self which I must try to become. They are the Animal self, and the Diabolical self. The Diabolical self is the worse of the two. That is why a cold, self righteous prig who goes regularly to church may be far nearer to hell than a prostitute. But, of course, it is better to be neither.”

“He shows much more of Himself to some people than to others - not because He has favorites, but because it is impossible for Him to show Himself to a man whose whole mind and character are in the wrong condition. Just as sunlight, though it has no favorites, cannot be reflected in a dusty mirror as clearly as in a clean one.”

“Most of us are not really approaching the subject [scriptures] in order to find out what Christianity says: we are approaching it [them] in the hope of finding support from Christianity for the views of our own party.”

― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

read this book. it helps get God and Christianity in a logical way. I love how 90% of the time I hear God and the bible argued. comedian George Carlins standup is always dragged in. what makes it even more funny is its always thrown down like a "beat that!" card. like his opinion holds some sort of value. I always think to myself. "seriously.. a stand up comedian.." then ill read quotes from people like Einstein and C.S. Lewis and wonder why the people that support this dude are the ones feeling entitled to laugh. lol

If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our present thoughts are mere accidents - the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the thoughts of the materialists and astronomers as well as for anyone else's. But if their thoughts - i.e., Materialism and Astronomy - are mere accidental by-products, why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give me a correct account of all the other accidents. It's like expecting the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milk-jug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset. - C.S. Lewis

laugh away. bud id suggest shrugging off the arrogant "im above looking into this attitude" and hear it out. makes more sense than youd think.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Thanks for your reply, you have a very noble goal and I respect that.

I may even welcome your guidance myself.

I recently started reading the OT for the first time since Sunday School and it's scaring the crap out of me.

Apparently most of the people I know are miserable sinners and should've been 'stoned until death without the camp' already

I hear the sequel is more forgiving!

edit on 20-11-2012 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by Philippines

Dear Philippines,

Yet, the bible says that none can deny God exists, they can see him everywhere, they can see him in the stars, that is old testament. Moses was saved as were others. Jesus Christ, the name, means God's forgiveness or salvation. Jesus said we were to love God (the totality, him) with all our heart and our neighbor (the parts of the totality that we understand) as ourselves. That message is true in everything we do, in every decision we make. Humans were given the understanding of right and wrong, the choice we make with our lives is what defines us. Hell is not a punishment, it is a choice. The moment you begin hurting others or allowing others to be hurt so that you can be better off, you pick your answer. Hell is eternal separation from God, a choice by us based on our unwillingness to care about others.

Hi there, thanks for the response! =)

But...do you have an answer to the question, preferably with bible scripture to back it up? The question is real simple... I am asking this because the way I read your response to me sounds like you are saying you go to heaven or hell based on making (biblical-based) "moral" decisions. This means you are judged regardless of knowing the message of Jesus Christ?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Romans 2:12-16

12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;

13 For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another.

16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

edit on 20-11-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
One question that no Christian has ever answered me.

If where all decendants of Adam and Eve arnt we all..... "keeping it in the family" so to say?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Trigger82

Yes.

I have a hard time believing that "no Christian" has ever answered that question for you before.

In fact, there's plenty of "Adam and Eve" threads on ATS that go into great detail about it.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Just so you know, scientists and egos have been heavily correlated too.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit! They have a certain confidence and curiosity that is unquenchable. "Inviincible!"

But, I'm neither a scientist, nor an atheist, nor am I religious; I'm merely a person endlessly fascinated with how the human brain works, and how people behave. I am also fascinated in the "paranormal", for whatever that's worth. How people respond to and explain the paranormal is one of my pet subjects.

edit on 20-11-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicarious10000

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Vicarious10000

No they are not...science can be proved by watching it work, you can not prove any basis of religion is true.
2th
oh and stop being lazy type it out yourself.

Theory is the same as belief. Belief in a theory is faith. Science is religion.

You're insane.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Why even bother with trying to debunk something so 'self debunking' as religion? Nothing in these systems of control is explicable. The concepts' very premise is to claim the fantastical and deny any and every request for an explanation.

Religion is for retards. Period.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeHawke
Just one thing i have to ask. Why does everybody feel like religion is wrong because people do bad things?if a scientist lied about his information or tweaked some readings in his theory's favor. I wouldn't go as far as to blame the entire science community for his mistake. Or If I went out to get dinner somewhere like an outback steakhouse. Then the food sucked and was cooked poorly and my waiter/waitress was never around. I wouldn't go blaming the entire chain. I would probably hold the wait staff responsible.

Sure...but that analogy only adds up under certain circumstances. It explains the occasional lone nutcase like a Jeffrey Dahmer....but it fails miserably in all of the other instances during the last 2000 years when the directive to be barbaric CAME FROM the religious hierarchy in the first place.

If you go to Chipotle or Qdoba and have a bad burrito...there's a good chance it's a problem with the cook or perhaps even the manager/franchise owner. However...if you go to Taco Bell and have a bad burrito the only people you can blame is the composite mass of corporate hierarchy that has deceived the public into buying its pseudo-food and yourself for being dumb enough to think you were buying anything other than well-seasoned dog food being pawned off as being "fit for human consumption" only by the most liberal of interpretations.

In Christianity ALONE the "one bad apple' theory DOESN'T explain these BROADLY ENDORSED and INSTITUTIONALLY SANCTIONED actions and events:

1. Witch Trials
2. Genocide (Native Americans, Jews, Pagans of all kinds)
3. Using the Hamitic Myth as a justification for the African Slave Trade
4. Manifest Destiny (both of the America's and the bizarre symbiotic relationship between Evangelical Christianity & Zionism)
5. The Spanish Inquisition.
6. The Crusades.
7. COUNTLESS instances of religiously-sanctioned child abuse.
8. The Catholic Church's support of Adolf Hitler.
9. Discriminatory policies between the sexes.
10. Religion's role in initiating/perpetuating a "Fire & Brimstone" criminal justice system which is partly-to-largely responsible for Prohibition and The War on Drugs.

Now...if during the last 2000 years there had only been ONE of these events you could maybe chalk it up to being the work of a single over-zealous preacher (the "cook"), a bad sect (the "franchisees 5 or 10 restaurants), a certain time period (the restraurant's lunch/dinner "rush" or a bad shipment of beef or something).

But that's not reality. These ARE NOT isolated events. These sorts of events just keep occurring again and again and again on every continent on planet earth, during every single century, and across denominations.

At a certain point...you gotta start blaming the restaurant itself.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join