It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FYI: Important must read about unemployment benefits

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by thepolish1

Ok Sissel, I have NEVER seen or heard what I seen today. It is posted at the local unemployment office, the Exact wording of it is"URGENT NOTICE....as of December 29, 2012, there is no longer any unemployment benefits."

When my husband was receiving unemployment from the state of MN, in 2009, 2010, he got notices in the mail both of those years stating the same thing. States run out of money the last couple of months of the year, like large companies. Ever wonder why a lot of plants shut down the last couple weeks of the year?

Call me stupid, but, that posting being on a state ran office is enough reason for concern, as far as your Chicken Little comment, you remember that comment, when someone who is starving wants what you have and will do anything to get it. Maybe you haven't noticed, but the US of A is going to hell in a hand basket, and quick. If you haven't noticed, get your head out of the sand.

How do you go from the notice about unemployment to this? There are food banks, food stamps, local churches, relatives....etc......Fear monger much?

And since I don't understand how the system works, Please, enlighten me. I have been on unemployment before, I have somewhat of an understanding how it works. So with that being said, I look forward to my Enlightenment...pffftt Better yet, I will personally go there tomorrow as I know the woman who is the secretary. And I will let you know what I have learned.

Terrific! I look forward to that. Make sure to ask if this was the situation about this same time last year.

Your Chicken Little comment Irked me. I understand you are entitled to your opinion. BUT, i'd like to know what you do for a living.

Right now I work from home for an auto transport company dispatching.

I have what some people would call a very UNIQUE perspective on things going on in the everyday world.

I see that.

would you like to be enlightened, Buy a 800mhz scanner and just listen to what goes on.
Just today, a 50-60 year old man robbed an Aldis for crying out loud. I actually pitty people like you, cuz your heads in the clouds, and you are oblivious to what is actually going on, Man, your gonna have a really rude awakening, and that is putting it nicely.
edit on 18-11-2012 by thepolish1 because: had to add a LITTLE something.

Is that some sort of threat?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Ok, I did what I said, and I spoke to the woman at the unemployment office, There is no more federal unemployment, state yes. And there is not going to be any federal unemployment benefits, the woman also told me it was a first for her to. There are no more extensions, no new claims for federal. there is noting left to give.I also would like to say, there probably won't be any for a while, because as the system works, there are too many people on unemployment, and not enough working to replace the money. That is how it works...right??
And no I do not threaten people, it is not proper, lets just chalk it up to a heads up. Ok, you are a truck dispatcher, I'm sure you have heard your share of wild things. I am also not a fear monger,I'm just a realist trying to get info out there....troll much???
Yes, there are food banks and things of that nature, BUT, they depend on donations, which, if people can not afford to feed their families, the donations will not be there. Not only that, you damn near have to be destitute to get any help, go back and read the op, the whole point was to try to get people to help one another out....bottom line...
Also, MN taxation is totally different than Indiana, I had a friend who lived up there and loved it, what is your current sales tax rate?? Isn't it like 11 % sales tax??Indiana is at 6 %. it doesn't seem like much of a difference, but it is.
edit on 19-11-2012 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Thank you Randy, I myself work, and don't have the quandry of how I'm gonna feed my family, but, that can change tomorrow, I like the way you think about the bullets with our names on it..... I hope your keeping up with this thread, now, if I'm working, why on earth would I care about this??? I care about my fellow man, I guess it is a rareity this day and age, and I also know what people are capable of in times of desparation.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I have to agree with you totally there about debt, it's too easy to get credit, Believe me, I'd love nothing more than to have the finest things in life, but I do with what I have, so in a sense I do have the finest things, cuz they work just fine...teehee, sorry.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Obama already got the cow, why should he continue to pay for the milk!?!?

I hope the people that voted themselves "money" understand that there isn't any money to give them. It's kind of like when you fake throw a treat for a dog and they get all confused trying to figure out where it went. Obama fake-threw handouts... and pretty soon a whole bunch of people are going to be walking around confused why they can't find their "Obama money". Cruel actually...

They voted for a liar, they got a liar. They've got no one to blame but themselves. Sadly, they will blame everyone and everything EXCEPT for themselves. And Obama will perpetuate the anger by pointing out that those "Wealthy people with jobs" are the problem. Pretty soon, anyone working for a paycheck will be the demon.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepolish1
reply to post by Sissel

Ok, I did what I said, and I spoke to the woman at the unemployment office, There is no more federal unemployment, state yes. And there is not going to be any federal unemployment benefits, the woman also told me it was a first for her to. There are no more extensions, no new claims for federal. there is noting left to give.I also would like to say, there probably won't be any for a while, because as the system works, there are too many people on unemployment, and not enough working to replace the money. That is how it works...right??

No, the fund works with your employer. Based on the company size, they have to pay into it........so, people need to check with their employer. You also need to be employed for a quarter until you can apply for benefits.

I appreciate you checking on it, though.

And no I do not threaten people, it is not proper, lets just chalk it up to a heads up. Ok, you are a truck dispatcher, I'm sure you have heard your share of wild things. I am also not a fear monger,I'm just a realist trying to get info out there....troll much???

No, I dispatch for new and used car dealers.

Yes, there are food banks and things of that nature, BUT, they depend on donations, which, if people can not afford to feed their families, the donations will not be there. Not only that, you damn near have to be destitute to get any help, go back and read the op, the whole point was to try to get people to help one another out....bottom line...

Well, heads up is good. People need to be relying on other resources other than governmental wise.

Also, MN taxation is totally different than Indiana, I had a friend who lived up there and loved it, what is your current sales tax rate?? Isn't it like 11 % sales tax??Indiana is at 6 %. it doesn't seem like much of a difference, but it is.
edit on 19-11-2012 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

I think you need to remember, once again, that it is the employer who deals with the state for unemployment. As far as sales taxes, that is a whole knew ball of wax. Unemployment is based on quarterly earnings. Not based on other forms of income from the state. I completely agree that people need to help each other. really and truely! This is a heads up not to wait until the last minute if they should be in the situation.
edit on 19-11-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-11-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I did a google search for Indiana unemployment benefits ending. Several results appeared, going back several years. All stated how they were "ending", because they regularly "end", as in "run out", before they are again renewed.
Its temporary.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
So this is the federal component. Normally unemployment benefits run for 30 weeks. Then they run out. If you don't have a job by then, you're on your own. But the feds have a program whereby if your state's unemployment rate exceeds a certain threshhold, the state aulifies for an extension. Originally, the first extension was for 13 weeks, so you got unemployment for 43 weeks total, but then the Feds came yup with yet ANOTHER extension of 9 weeks, so 30 + 13 + 9 = 52 weeks, a full year of unemployment.

During THIS recession the Feds pulled out all stops and granted unprecedented extensions amounting to just under TWO YEARS of unemployment. It's the FED part of this that is ending. People have gotten used to this extraordinary gravy train and now it ends and people panic because their government is no longer going to be handing out hundred dollar bills.

Normally unemployment is paid for by an employment tax that amounts to about 3%, more or less depending on an employer's "experience rating." So construction companies tend to pay a higher rate than your local public library because the library's tax-supported jobs, though they pay much less, are more stable. In a big recession state's run out of money both because they are paying out nore and because there are fewer wages to pay the tax on so the revenue to pay for it is less.

In other words, unemployment has never been "free." Unbeknownst to you, your employer has been paying for it. But you think it's your "right." Would that you had lived in the 1800s or early 1900s when there was no such thing as unemployment. That's what your ancestors did. They didn't look for as handout from the government.
edit on 11/19/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Thank you for putting into words so eloquently what I was not able to do.

You didn't beat around the bush, and I appreciate that.

Good enough OP? Because this was very well put!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel
reply to post by schuyler

Thank you for putting into words so eloquently what I was not able to do.

You didn't beat around the bush, and I appreciate that.

Good enough OP? Because this was very well put!

Thank you for your response, I should have stated, I know sales tax is a whole different ball of wax, From what I understand, some of that money is used for food programs and things of that nature, Not a well explained thought, I apologize.

I also said the same as schyluar said, there is more money going out than what is coming in. And yes it will run out. Just like social security, It will not exist, I don't think, when I get old enough for it.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kittendaydreamer
reply to post by thepolish1

That should just be for federal unemployment not state.
some facts pdf
think progress link
an Alison Doyle article on it

Thanks, I thought this also when it seem to coincide with information from 8 months ago about federal unemployment benefits to the states being stopped.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
As with many people that are no aware of how unemployment benefits work, My husband have the pleasure of finding out after working all his adult life and losing his job back in July after the first Obama budget cuts hit the nation, he filed for the first time in his over 40 years as a productive member of society for his first unemployment benefits here in GA, first thing we notice is that what he got weekly is less of what my husband was making in a day on his job, then we found out that is only 19 weeks in which after they run dry you are to fall under the extended Federal assistance program, that is very much alive and available.

Well before the last week of the 19 my husband got employed so for now we are off the unemployment benefits, to tell the truth is nothing but pennies on the dollar compare to those 40 years that my husband has paid into taxes and entitlement programs. You get nothing back from your hard earned and invested tax payers dollars.

What a scam.

BTW is another wave of layoff coming in January from the government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join