It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fellow atheists, let's accept the free gift

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

reply to post by jiggerj

Sometimes, it's easier to make something sound good than it is to explain WHY it's good.

When it is said that you should love your enemy, this is as much to protect you as it is to benefit your foe. See, when you love your enemy, that discourages the poison of bitter hostility and insistent vengeance. It forestalls the negativity that would naturally build up towards the other person. And it also brings into play the practice of forgiving people for the wrongs that have done you instead of being spiritually hindered and stunted by the grudges and personal issues that would serve as stumbling blocks in the path to enlightenment.

So Jigger, maybe you should lighten up on the knee-jerk responses. They give the impression that you are being deliberately obtuse because you're more comfortable with your perspective than anyone else's, and you're projecting an in-your-face challenge to discourage further attempts to provoke self-reflection. You're comfortable as you are, and you're baring your teeth at anyone who attempts to challenge that. That's what I'm seeing. And the main reason I'm bringing it up is because obstinacy can serve as great a stumbling block as any enemy you may harbor a grudge against. Obstinacy is tantamount to regression, and how can you ever move forward if you're always wringing your hands in trepidation of what lies around the next bend?

Icepack, I hope I cleared that up for you. I wanted to share my insight in the matter - I'm of the firm belief that it touched on some of the truth, if not most of it.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

... instead of being spiritually hindered...

could you explain, what you mean by "spiritually hindered" ?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Absolutely. When you're on a dirt road and you come across a log that lies in your path, how far do you expect to proceed if you stand there for two days contemplating the log's audacity for existing, for existing in your way, and for not moving when you ask it to, and then continue to ponder the most worthwhile demise you can bring to it when all you had to do was step over it and continue along your journey?

That's what I mean by "spiritual hindrance" - an obstacle that only becomes a problem when you allow it to.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

ah, i first thought, you were talking about demons, like in this image.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

So Jigger, maybe you should lighten up on the knee-jerk responses. They give the impression that you are being deliberately obtuse because you're more comfortable with your perspective than anyone else's, and you're projecting an in-your-face challenge to discourage further attempts to provoke self-reflection. You're comfortable as you are, and you're baring your teeth at anyone who attempts to challenge that. That's what I'm seeing. And the main reason I'm bringing it up is because obstinacy can serve as great a stumbling block as any enemy you may harbor a grudge against. Obstinacy is tantamount to regression, and how can you ever move forward if you're always wringing your hands in trepidation of what lies around the next bend?

See, here's the difference between you and me, bonehead. I will make light of a topic. I will attack a subject. I will not, however, point a finger (unless it is pointed at me first) and declare that someone is somehow flawed for what they say or do.

So, afterinfinity, read what you wrote of me, only put your name where mine is.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

See, here's the difference between you and me, bonehead. I will make light of a topic. I will attack a subject. I will not, however, point a finger (unless it is pointed at me first) and declare that someone is somehow flawed for what they say or do.

I made a polite suggestion and explained why I was making that suggestion. I showed that there may be some degree of miscommunication, and made room for you to point it out to me. I did not, however, provide any justification for you to call me names. And I will very willingly and calmly point that out to you.

In addition, matters of spirit are serious matters, considering if we don't take it seriously now, we never will. And that, I'm afraid, can prove very detrimental.

So, afterinfinity, read what you wrote of me, only put your name where mine is.

I would have to say that you appear to be proving my point.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

I made a polite suggestion

No, you made a passive-aggressive attack.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDmOKI
reply to post by Hydroman

this is a troll post at its finest

Yes, it is either a troll post or someone is showing their ignorance of true salvation by grace through faith. Faith is more than saying words... It is actions too.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by truejew

Spoken like a true amateur. I'm not even Christian, and yet I understand the concept of modest homage. Blunt and obtrusive deference can be just as insulting as bald-faced mockery. There is something to be said for calm, quiet, mature reverence, instead of blatant sycophantic lapdogging.

I would much rather admire something than worship it. If I admire something, I will emulate it. If I worship something, I will not only restrain myself from attempting to equal it, but I will also knock down anyone else who attempts to do so. Self-degradation is extremely unhealthy, as it inhibits all forms of progress. One will believe oneself unworthy, broken, mere filth. This is unhealthy because it undermines growth.

That is why I don't worship anything. I will easily admire someone or something - and I do admire many things. But I will never, ever worship. It focuses too much on what I am not, and that prevents me from finding the courage to be what I am, and thereby find what I might be.
edit on 23-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Spoken like a true amateur.

I am far from an amateur on the topic of salvation by grace through faith.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by truejew

Which means you're an expert on immortality by divine virtue through unmerited trust?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Which means you're an expert on immortality by divine virtue through unmerited trust?

I am as I said I am.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by truejew

Originally posted by truejew

reply to post by truejew

I am as I said I am.

Considering you are a human being, I would have to say that you are nowhere near an expert on such matters. You say you are what you say you are? I find this to be questionable - oftentimes, we see ourselves the least clearly, as our vision is clouded by what we wish we saw and what we fear we will see. Only with complete acceptance of ourselves can we truly see what we are, and by its very nature, your religion prevents you from seeing yourself clearly.

As such, I doubt you truly understand the relationship between you and the divine nature of this reality.

edit on 24-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Considering you are a human being, I would have to say that you are nowhere near an expert on such matters.

Expert was your word, not mine. I do know far more about salvation by grace through faith than an amateur though.
edit on 24-11-2012 by truejew because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2012 by truejew because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by truejew

What do you know about such matters, exactly? What makes you think you're not an amateur, or possess more than just a little understanding? What gives you such confidence?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

reply to post by truejew

What do you know about such matters, exactly? What makes you think you're not an amateur, or possess more than just a little understanding? What gives you such confidence?

Study and revelation by the Holy Spirit.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by truejew

You mean study and revelation by self-delusion? How do you know it isn't just you fooling yourself? Would you be willing to admit it, if it were so? Are you willing to allow even the slightest bit of wiggle room for skepticism or questioning?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join