It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fellow atheists, let's accept the free gift

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
We are told that the christian god has sent his only son, who was an innocent person, to die for our evil deeds so that we can be forgiven by him. If we don't accept this free gift of salvation, we will be punished for eternity.

We are told that we can accept this FREE gift of salvation by asking him for it.

Fine, I'll take this free gift.

Guess I get to live in heaven now? That wasn't hard.

Being a free gift, I shouldn't have to do anything to receive it but ask for it. If I have to work for it, it is no longer a free gift. If I have to do anything else to receive it or to keep it, it is no longer free.

So again, sure, I'll take this free gift since it has been offered to me many times.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Gonna sell mine on E-Bay

Annoys me how they tell us it is free.....as long as you sell your soul to their brand of club.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

where exactly do you have the information from, saying it is free ?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

where exactly do you have the information from, saying it is free ?

From christian doctrine.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

According to strict interpretation, we sell our soul so we can live forever. Because hell is supposedly death. Wait, this is GOD we're talking about?!

HOLY CRAP!! Are they sure they didn't mix up the names??

edit on 18-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Great!

Now all you have to do is hit your local church every sunday...

Donate to their collection plate...

And of course, condem everyone who doesn't join your church from here on in...

You're on your way...

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

You have already been given the gift of life in Christ:

1 Corinthians 15:22 (NIV) - "For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive."

The choice is in whether you become a disciple of Christ, joining in his death and resurrection to be covered by his blood, forgiven of sin, escape God's wrath, and receive an inheritance in the Kingdom of God.

Alternatively, you can choose to live in sin, in which case you will experience God's wrath. Nothing but misguided and deceived self-proclaimed "Christians" will claim that you will not then receive life after God's wrath is poured and judgment is complete. Scripture is translucent (not quite clear) on the matter.

Either way, Jesus really did win a great victory - life for all. That's the good news of the Gospel.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Bod chapter 3v45 "Oh and thus Bod said "If I quote from yee olde book doesn't mean it is trueth"
I knew someone would be on quoting from a book.
Next time I will quote from G.W.Bushes book...and see how you like it.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
You have already been given the gift of life in Christ:

1 Corinthians 15:22 (NIV) - "For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive."

The choice is in whether you become a disciple of Christ, joining in his death and resurrection to be covered by his blood, forgiven of sin, escape God's wrath, and receive an inheritance in the Kingdom of God.

Alternatively, you can choose to live in sin, in which case you will experience God's wrath. Nothing but misguided and deceived self-proclaimed "Christians" will claim that you will not then receive life after God's wrath is poured and judgment is complete. Scripture is translucent (not quite clear) on the matter.

Either way, Jesus really did win a great victory - life for all. That's the good news of the Gospel.
So it's not really free? I have to do other things besides merely asking for it to achieve it?
edit on 18-11-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

i think, you don't know what you are talking about. if you become a christian, you will go with compassion, pity, forgiveness, the duty to love your enemy etc. this is not easy if you do it in a serious way. because it is hard, you will get a reward. as the saying: nothing is for free.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

"Nitwit! Oddment! Blubber! Tweak!" Don't ask me the page or paragraph, it's from Harry Potter. Obscure references to the characteristics of the four houses.

I figured as long as we're quoting useless tidbits out of context, I may as well join in the fun.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

The gift of life is free. You have it. It's discipleship with Christ that's not free...that's what you have to "do" stuff for. Christ has given you life, regardless.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
i think, you don't know what you are talking about. if you become a christian, you will go with compassion, pity, forgiveness, the duty to love your enemy etc. this is not easy if you do it in a serious way. because it is hard, you will get a reward. as the saying: nothing is for free.
I'm not talking about being a christian. I'm talking about being saved by receiving the "free gift" that I have been told that I can have. Are there stipulations to getting this "free gift"?

Is it kind of like when you go to listen to a salesman talk about a timeshare deal just so that you can receive the free gift that comes with it?

link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

This thread is dealing with God's promise of life in Christ. That would seem to involve quoting the promise that God has, indeed, given every human being life in Christ.

link   

The gift of life is free. You have it. It's discipleship with Christ that's not free...that's what you have to "do" stuff for. Christ has given you life, regardless.
I'm talking about the free gift of salvation.

We are told over and over that this gift of salvation is free, all we have to do is accept it.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Salvation in the New Testament typically means salvation from God's wrath...so, no, at the moment, you're not saved from God's wrath. But God has given you life through the victory of Christ, which is a different sort of salvation (it's what most people typically think of when they hear "saved," but it's not the Scriptural definition).

Why would God create billions of people just to send the vast majority of them to Hell to be tormented forever? His plan was to save them all, each in their own time.

We are told over and over that this gift of salvation is free, all we have to do is accept it.

That would be an oxymoron.
edit on 18-11-2012 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

i guess some christians do advertising and recruting this way. with slogans, it is for free. but if you do start to take being a christian seriously, you will realise, it would be a life with sacrifices and hardship.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Why would I click on this post? what a waste of time. why are you attacking Christians on ATS??? I'm not even Christian and i find this post dumb. You don't just accept the gift, you live it. But atheist are so smart....right?

this is a troll post at its finest

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Salvation in the New Testament typically means salvation from God's wrath...so, no, at the moment, you're not saved from God's wrath.

Ok, so when christians say, "I am saved" they aren't saved yet? They don't really know what they are talking about?

Why would God create billions of people just to send the vast majority of them to Hell to be tormented forever?
A question I've pondered quite often.

His plan was to save them all, each in their own time.
And does he?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

I'm talking about the free gift of salvation.

I can never quite get it either. Free or not? Well yes... but no. Quibble, quibble, quibble.

So I just choose yes, and to hell with all the quibbles. I'm a sinner. There's no two ways about it, I'm a sinner. So if the forgiveness is free, I'll take it. Otherwise, if it's not.... well, there's nothing I can do about it. I'm a sinner and refuse to give it up....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join