It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paleo Diet -- Your ticket to survival

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

... which might just account for why Asians have a higher tolerance to consuming glucose. But, still, the anthropological evidence is pretty clear. The vast majority of our evolutionary history clearly represents a paleo type of diet that is animal based and tuber/fruits/nuts/seeds secondary.
edit on 19-11-2012 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

But the diet doesn't say that they should be ingested in lesser amounts but instead tries to demonize their consumption. They use the low tolerance by a minority of some of the items in that category as an indicator that they should be avoided at all costs, while endorsing the general consumption of items in another category which can be just as carbo dense as the ones they are demonizing. I think this is counterproductive and my be the reason that the results are mixed.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

But it's not really a low tolerance by a minority; most people don't tolerate consuming a high-carb diet. Eating a high-carb, low-fat diet is inefficient and generally promotes obesity and diabetes, especially in those who have a genetic predisposition to develop these diseases (which comes from parents and grandparents consuming high carbs), or those who are pre diabetic and/or overweight.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Eating what health experts say will extend your life a lot.
It doesn't really extend your life, it just seems like life lasts forever when you have to eat all that crap every day. I couldn't eat a true paleo diet and be happy. I love a hamburger and real fries once in a while. It is hard to change, we have been cooking mostly homemade food for a while now but we have been conditioned well to desire a lot of crap.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of no dairy but I think you missed the point about the OK list for this diet including high carb items like some fruits but the no-no list contains high protein foods like legumes, peanuts, soy beans and chickpeas.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

A couple of friends of mine were on this diet very strictly for quite some time. As soon as they went off it their bodies gained an extra-ordinary amount of weight within a month. The male gained 28 lbs in 25 days and he wasn't eating poorly at all but just re-introduced carbs and grains.

Before that they were the picture of health.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Humans didn't undergo some sort of 'mutation' to lose the ability to digest milk; it's NORMAL after the breastfeeding is over. The intestines produce enzymes to digest the lactose (milk sugar) and if no milk is eaten for a short period of time, say a week or two, the enzyme ceases to be produced. The baby is weaned, in other words. Most people in western society have dairy products on a daily basis switching from human milk (if they were lucky) to cow or other milk and either never lose the enzyme production capability, or slowly lose it and have the gas and diarrheal symptoms to prove it when the undigested lactose hits the lower intestine and is instead digested by bacteria there, which produces the flatulence. A lot of people have intestinal issues all the time without realizing the source may simply be lactose intolerance.

The truth is, drinking the milk of another species is a crazy idea (all milk is designed for that specie's young to put on weight quickly, the quantities of fat, protein and carbs are not interchangeable). The dairy industry wants you to buy their product and they don't particularly care if it means you end up looking like an upright calf...

Just as an aside, the mammary glands are actually sweat glands repurposed. They filter the blood coming through them and excrete a fluid containing fat, protein and carbohydrates as well as micro-nutrients; if you drink cow milk, you are drinking cow sweat specifically designed by nature to be imbibed by cow babies (with the handy addition in most cases of antibiotics and GMO cow hormones designed to make the cow produce an unusually high amount of milk).

Someone upthread mentioned 'milk being an antidote'. Yes, it's recommended in some cases of poisoning to mitigate the caustic effects of lye or other strong base ingestion but that's hardly a normal occurrence. Otherwise, I have no idea what that person was talking about.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I looked into the Paleo diet a couple years ago but didn't go much further because it is very, very restrictive. Unless you are dead set with strong willpower it would be a very difficult diet to follow.

That said, I'm now vegetarian, so it wouldn't work for me now anyway. However, being a vegetarian I've learned that following restrictions in diets isn't really that hard after all.

I still think this is a really interesting diet and I like the idea behind it. I think as long as you make an effort to purchase your meat from local (preferably), ethical, organic/humane and sustainable farms, then you would be doing your body (and the Earth) a great service.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
wow, Interesting you mention the Paleo diet, a few buddies at work(army) are on this diet.. it's been a few years and they love it..it's a good mix, burn fat instead of calories, they also work out..I always wanted to start it also, my buddy gave me a whole PDF on it. It's hard to switch and not have any grains and hardly any carbs..I love meat and veggies so that's what I like about it.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

edit on 20-11-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

Wheat is one of the first cereals known to have been domesticated, and wheat's ability to self-pollinate greatly facilitated the selection of many distinct domesticated varieties. The archaeological record suggests that this first occurred in the regions known as the Fertile Crescent, and the Nile Delta. Recent findings narrow the first domestication of wheat down to a small region of southeastern Turkey,[11] and domesticated Einkorn wheat at Nevalı Çori—40 miles (64 km) northwest of Gobekli Tepe in Turkey—has been dated to 9,000 B.C.E.[12] However evidence for the exploitation of wild barley has been dated to 23,000 B.C.E. and some say this is also true of pre-domesticated wheat.[13] [edit]Origin

100 grams of hard red winter wheat contain about 12.6 grams of protein, 1.5 grams of total fat, 71 grams of carbohydrate (by difference), 12.2 grams of dietary fiber, and 3.2 mg of iron (17% of the daily requirement); the same weight of hard red spring wheat contains about 15.4 grams of protein, 1.9 grams of total fat, 68 grams of carbohydrate (by difference), 12.2 grams of dietary fiber, and 3.6 mg of iron (20% of the daily requirement).[36] Much of the carbohydrate fraction of wheat is starch. Wheat starch is an important commercial product of wheat, but second in economic value to wheat gluten.[37] The principal parts of wheat flour are gluten and starch. These can be separated in a kind of home experiment, by mixing flour and water to form a small ball of dough, and kneading it gently while rinsing it in a bowl of water. The starch falls out of the dough and sinks to the bottom of the bowl, leaving behind a ball of gluten. In wheat, phenolic compounds are mainly found in the form of insoluble bound ferulic acid and be relevant to resistance to wheat fungal diseases.[38] Alkylresorcinols are phenolic lipids present in high amounts in the bran layer (e.g. pericarp, testa and aleurone layers) of wheat and rye (0.1-0.3 % of dry weight). [edit]Nutritional importance of wheat

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 20-11-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkstar226

I looked into the Paleo diet a couple years ago but didn't go much further because it is very, very restrictive. Unless you are dead set with strong willpower it would be a very difficult diet to follow.

That said, I'm now vegetarian, so it wouldn't work for me now anyway. However, being a vegetarian I've learned that following restrictions in diets isn't really that hard after all.

I still think this is a really interesting diet and I like the idea behind it. I think as long as you make an effort to purchase your meat from local (preferably), ethical, organic/humane and sustainable farms, then you would be doing your body (and the Earth) a great service.

You found it restricitve and now you're a vegitarian??
Makes no sense.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I would be eating like this, but I workout and exercise way too much, so I need the carbohydrates from grains. I metabolize really fast aswell, so I need to eat ALOT of food otherwise I'll waste away.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
In March I weighed 294 lbs., I had trouble tying my boots, climbing stairs, when I lay down in my bed my breast touched each other, I snored like a old one lunger engine, I napped often, I had no enthusiam or overalll spunk.
I went on a low carb diet on March 20th, (not paleo) on July 8th I weighed 255lbs. and I weighed that until September 5th or so. A dieter knows that is a long plateau, for most they would stop or give up. For me it was not an option (for mysellf) so I looked for ways to get past it. I came across a podcast that discussed the Paleo diet, I went home and checked it out. I found that being on a low carb diet I was not far off but needed some tweaking. . As I had already given up grains, I further gave up diet soda and all artificial sweeteners, I gave up cheese, but retained half and half and a low carb ice cream that i had been clinging to. I stopped all processed meats and anything in a package. I upped my fats via coconut oil and Kerry Gold butter and grass fed animal fats. I prepare alll my own meals. My boss allowed me to keep a Foreman grill at my work station and a crock pot too. I take my food raw to work and cook it when I get hungry, there is alway something in the crock pot, or as my co workers now call it "thecrackpot". My boss was and remains supportive this in itself is awesome.
I have come to realize I am on what is referred to as a "modified Paleo diet" . I still eat Breyers Carb Smart ice cream daily. Thi s is the only processed food I eat I eat it daily to the tune of a quart a week mixed with cinnamon or fresh berries. If I didnt I am afraid I would revert. I drink Vodka once in a while mixed with seltzer water and fesh lime.
After tweaking to the Paleo on or around the first week of September at 255lbs, I now weigh 217 lbs, Novemeber 21st. This is with little excercise and eating the processed Breyers.
I post this becasue I have been a long time lurker on ATS with my interests mostly in UFOs and 2012 I noticed this topic and felt the need to contribute. I am a 6' tall male , 40 years old a turf equipment mechanic by trade.
I have found a bunch of good podcasts and topic hosts that I find inspiring, I am not sure if I am allowed to posts links to non supporting users. I can post if requested. But Dr . William Davis and Ashley Tudor are worth Googling. Another side note, when I gave up vegetable oils my gurgly stomach seemed to stop, my bowels movements became more solid and havent had heartburn at all.
I hope this is a worth while contribution.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

As I said in the next sentence - now that I am a vegetarian I found that restricting diet isn't as difficult as I had originally thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join