It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paleo Diet -- Your ticket to survival

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
So, I've recently adopted a new custom, the Paleo diet. Also known as the Caveman diet, consisting of things our primitive ancestors ate, including fruits, veggies, meats, and nuts. No dairy or grains.

To read more about the Paleo diet, click here;

The Paleo Diet

Think about it... it's actually a genetic mutation for humans to digest milk. Lactose intolerance is actually the original state of human beings, until some odd thousands of years ago, a mutation occurred, and now people can somehow digest milk after their infant years (maybe that's a conspiracy itself? I dunno).

You won't be packing on those empty carbs and calories anymore.

In every day life, you feel much better, don't need as much food, and you drop weight like nothing. I haven't been doing it long at all, but it feels amazing. It feels very right.

True, you would have to give a lot of normal things up, and you wouldn't be able to eat fast food for every meal... but it seems worth it to me.

In a SHTF scenario, the most basic foods are gonna be the ones you come across most often. A Paleo diet will be the alternative to whatever your current diet may be, so why not get a head start? You don't wanna start off in a SHTF world out of shape anyway.

Here are some tips on the best way to use a Paleo diet for your benefit:

1. Get rid of pasta, bread, rice, and potatoes out of your diet. Starchy foods are excellent fillers and became “staple” foods following the agricultural revolution because they were cheap and straightforward to grow, and could assistance a larger population. Even so, they’re notorious for lacking in nutrition, and the system quickly converts this foods into extra fat.

2. DO consume refreshing fruits, greens, nuts, seeds and meat. For the same factors you do not desire to consume bread, rice, and pasta. Nutritional worth in these foods are a lot higher, along with your system utilizes the vitamins and proteins contained in these meals particularly throughout and after bodily workout.

3. DO cook your meals. The Paleo Diet is occasionally mistakenly lumped with raw foods diets. They are not the exact same factor, and won’t obtain the exact same goal. And yes – paleolithic guy cooked his foods. Cooking will method the food and support make it not just much more palatable, but easier for your physique to digest.

Also, look at this.

Does this chick look 44?

She's 44 years old. Eva La Rue.

She looks healthy, right? I usually don't present plain looking people as a "role model" (I'm very alternative) but this is a point being proven regarding health facts.

The Paleo diet, the diet our ancestors used, the people who hunted and killed every meal they ate, and who had the physical ability to do so, should be everyone's first choice. No fructose corn syrup, no empty carbs, no poison.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't given up dairy and grains altogether, but mostly. I plan on having a mushroom swiss burger once a month or so as a reward.

Not to mention, this diet doesn't require me to give up buffalo wings. (YES!)

Trust me. This is the only life you're given, don't waste it. Get healthy. You never know if TSHTF in our lifetime... and besides that point, TSHTF in our regular daily lives all the time (robberies, car wrecks, home invasions, shootouts, chases, etc).

I'm trying... you try too.

edit on 18-11-2012 by XxNightAngelusxX because: typos

edit on 18-11-2012 by XxNightAngelusxX because: none ya damn business

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I bought a book about this.

Author is always on C2C.

Difficult to make the changes.

Will be easier after the crash when we have to hunt for food to survive.

Oh, here it is...

Nora

Examining the healthy lives of our pre-agricultural Paleolithic ancestors and the marked decline in stature, bone density, and dental health and the increase in birth defects, malnutrition, and disease following the implementation of the agricultural lifestyle, Nora Gedgaudas shows how our modern grain- and carbohydrate-heavy low-fat diets are a far cry from the high-fat, moderate-protein hunter-gatherer diets we are genetically programmed for, leading not only to lifelong weight gain but also to cravings, mood disorders, cognitive problems, and “diseases of civilization”--such as cancer, osteoporosis, metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance), heart disease, and mental illness.

Applying modern discoveries to the basic hunter-gatherer diet, she culls from vast research in evolutionary physiology, biochemistry, metabolism, nutrition, and chronic and degenerative disease to unveil a holistic lifestyle for true mind-body health and longevity. Revealing the primal origins and physiological basis for a high-fat, moderate-protein, starch-free diet and the importance of adequate omega-3 intake--critical to our brain and nervous system but sorely lacking in most people’s diets--she explains the nutritional problems of grains, gluten, soy, dairy, and starchy vegetables; which natural fats promote health and which (such as canola oil) harm it; the crucial role of vitamin D in cancer and disease prevention; the importance of saturated fat and cholesterol; and how diet affects mental health, memory, cognitive function, hormonal balance, and cellular aging. With step-by-step guidelines, recipes, and meal recommendations, this book offers sustainable strategies for a primally based, yet modern approach to diet and exercise to reduce stress and anxiety, lose weight, improve sleep and mood, increase energy and immunity, enhance brain function, save money on groceries, and live longer and happier.

edit on 18-11-2012 by kawika because: added link

edit on 18-11-2012 by kawika because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I love the idea of this and I think it is the correct way to go.

also a study was done a few years ago on NAs and Hawaiians and Hispanics, they returned to their natural diet and how they lost weight.

edit on 023030p://bSunday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm not knocking the diet but to say that humans as a species were lactose intolerant and never meant to digest milk until a mutation 5000 years ago, but then in the same paragraph acknowledge infants consume milk. What mysterious age did human infants no longer digest milk prior to 5000 years ago? 1 year, 2 year old?

Now you can make the argument about modified cows/milk hormones, steroids ect, that I will buy. But there is nothing wrong with natural milk. Humans by the way were consuming animal milk before 5000 years ago, camel, goat, ect. without any problems.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I tried to eat dandelions, they taste good to me but the wife thinks they are bitter. She won't even try the plantain. If something happens you need to know how these natural foods effect you, if you eat too much dandelions you could become deficient in minerals. All these paleo foods should be tried while there is still doctors around. Many interfere with medicines, either increasing or decreasing the results of the meds. Any person can also be allergic to a number of plants defense system chemicals, it is important to try these plants before the SHTF. You won't know how they effect you if your eating other foods that you have never eaten before like survival food. You may think your survival food is toxic because you ate the wrong mushroom or overate plantains that contain high amounts of oxalates. Plantains can be eaten a little as salad but should be cooked like spinach if more is eaten to neutralize some chemistry. Natural plants can be very strong and less may be needed because of their high vitamin and mineral contents. Knowing what to eat, how to prepare them, how to know if you had to much, are all things our ancestors knew, but we threw it away because of the commercial system that we now have.

Don't go blind into survival. Know what these foods taste like, pick them and learn in advance how to prepare them. Too much change in diet too fast is no good, it can negatively effect your mind. Learn when you are not starving. What is the cost of this.....It is free.... and will give you a secure feeling that you can survive. How can a person go wrong, time collecting dandelion greens is time not spent spending money. Natural doesn't need to be expensive. Get together with your friends and spend a day out in a field collecting these foods. Have some laughs and enjoy yourself. You will find it more fun than waiting in line at the restaurant and complaining that they messed up your expensive food. It is better entertainment to be with friends on an outing to learn what the earth can provide than to blow fifty bucks at the store to entertain your shopping fever.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
I'm not knocking the diet but to say that humans as a species were lactose intolerant and never meant to digest milk until a mutation 5000 years ago, but then in the same paragraph acknowledge infants consume milk. What mysterious age did human infants no longer digest milk prior to 5000 years ago? 1 year, 2 year old?

Now you can make the argument about modified cows/milk hormones, steroids ect, that I will buy. But there is nothing wrong with natural milk. Humans by the way were consuming animal milk before 5000 years ago, camel, goat, ect. without any problems.

I used 5,000 as an estimate number. In a documentary on PBS, the "Ice Man," (they found a preserved, frozen body from about 5,000 years ago buried under ice and they examined it), they mentioned that people of that time apparently had the same mutation that humans today have, the ability to drink cows milk. They stated that only infant babies can digest milk, their mother's milk, then after they are weened, they begin to obtain their nutrients from real food and lose the ability to digest milk.

In reality, it was longer than 5,000 years ago when the mutation occurred.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I tried to eat dandelions, they taste good to me but the wife thinks they are bitter. She won't even try the plantain. If something happens you need to know how these natural foods effect you, if you eat too much dandelions you could become deficient in minerals. All these paleo foods should be tried while there is still doctors around. Many interfere with medicines, either increasing or decreasing the results of the meds. Any person can also be allergic to a number of plants defense system chemicals, it is important to try these plants before the SHTF. You won't know how they effect you if your eating other foods that you have never eaten before like survival food. You may think your survival food is toxic because you ate the wrong mushroom or overate plantains that contain high amounts of oxalates. Plantains can be eaten a little as salad but should be cooked like spinach if more is eaten to neutralize some chemistry. Natural plants can be very strong and less may be needed because of their high vitamin and mineral contents. Knowing what to eat, how to prepare them, how to know if you had to much, are all things our ancestors knew, but we threw it away because of the commercial system that we now have.

Don't go blind into survival. Know what these foods taste like, pick them and learn in advance how to prepare them. Too much change in diet too fast is no good, it can negatively effect your mind. Learn when you are not starving. What is the cost of this.....It is free.... and will give you a secure feeling that you can survive. How can a person go wrong, time collecting dandelion greens is time not spent spending money. Natural doesn't need to be expensive. Get together with your friends and spend a day out in a field collecting these foods. Have some laughs and enjoy yourself. You will find it more fun than waiting in line at the restaurant and complaining that they messed up your expensive food. It is better entertainment to be with friends on an outing to learn what the earth can provide than to blow fifty bucks at the store to entertain your shopping fever.

I'm eating Paleo right now. I don't buy special Paleo food preps or look up specific Paleo dishes, I just follow the basic rules. Eat anything but dairy and grains. I know what these foods taste like, a lot of them are foods I already eat. To me, this only means giving up cheese, milk, and bread.

Besides, I've gone on more drastic diets without it harming me before... even fasted for days at a time.

It's all good.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

If you research what you ask you will find exact answers. Over half of the people are still Lactose intollerant in the world today, many of them drinking milk daily. If you have drank milk all your life and are intollerant, how are you going to know what you are supposed to feel like when you are feeling good. You have never been without so you don't know what feeling good is. It takes a week minimum before the negative effects will be totally purged, just skipping a glass will not show any results.

All this is on the net under real research articles by qualified scientists, you need to read it from these sources to find out how to tell how it effects you. Many people are discovering the feeling of being normal for once in their life, the doping effect of eating a food that needs constant detoxing by the body is hard on the body. Being able to drink food without any negative effects is rare, about one if five people drinking dairy have no reaction. Sometimes the doping action settles people and helps them relax, be aware that this is good for people also. Milk is also an antidote for quite a few things, that study can take a lot of reading and thinking.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I agree paleo is the way to go. I've been doing that for about 7 years now. I discovered it by accident when I started having blood sugar problems and as a RN I know what that can lead to, so I radically changed my diet. Later I found others were doing it and it had a name (Paleo). I cured my blood sugar problem in 4 months! And that was nearly 7 years ago. I'm 52 and even though I don't "work out" per se, I can outdo anyone of my friends, even the ones that are 25 years younger than me, including some very fit looking college guys who are in great shape. I'm lean and strong and have even develped "abs". Yesterday I worked all day splitting logs and carrying large 100lb + logs around. Great workout. I could do it again today. My friends went home and took ibuprofen. I went home and finished wiring my solar power system.

I deviate from the paleo in regards to milk. I do drink it, but only raw, unpasutized milk from cows eating grass from a nearby farm. I also drink goat milk from a local farm. Same with butter.

I have been growing some of my own vegitables. I just got a small fall harvest of 15 spagetti squash, 15 butternut squash and some broccoli. You havn't eaten brocolli until you've eaten home grown! The stuff at the store is positivly vile compared to what I grow in my backyard.

I'm ramping up my production this year and plan on have a large spring crop.

I just now am thawing a heratige pastured turkey. Not fed hormones, GMO's or antibiotics. Same breed that was eaten in the US back in 1850... Next year I plan on shooting my own.

Don't forget, don't eat margarine or vegitable oils either. I just use coconut oil (cold pressed organinc non-hydrogenated) or beef tallow. I bought fat from my local grassfed butcher shop and learned myself to render my own!
I also roast bones and eaty the marrow. Then I simmer the bones for 3 days and get great bone broth to make chili or soup. I also save my chicken bones and make chicken broth. Make great butternut squash soup. I'll have everyone save those turkey bones this year too to amke turkey stock. YUM!

And don't expect to see any RD's (Registered Dieticians) in favor of eating this way. They mostly just spout whatever the government tells them to and "everything in moderation" bullcrap. There are a few that are waking up though...

As a nation we gotta stop eating crap food. It's killing us.

edit on 18-11-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Debatable.

There is some speculation that -- prior to the domestication of milk-giving animals -- some 7500-9000 years ago, humans lost the ability to metabolize lactose shortly after weaning. Acclimation to lactose beyond weaning is probably a genetic mutation. Those who could take nutrition (and hydration) from milk were probably better situated to survive drought and famine than those who could not. They would produce more offspring, who might also possess the mutation, perpetuating the cycle through to modern times. There is no argument however that humans were taller before agriculture, and the implication is that malnutrition and disease followed farming into the human experience. More likely, farmers -- because they tended to stay in one location -- suffered from malnutrition due to poor dietary variety, where wheat and dairy become staples, replacing foraged fruits, vegetables and meat.

It's not really my area of study, so who knows. It is a complex and fascinating subject.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Excellent response!!

By all means people start trying these natural foods in your area as you find them.
Each has it's unique flavor, nutritional value and problems that can be anything from being poisonous unless cooked to counteracting intake of certain minerals. Each should be learned individually.

For reference I recommend the Peterson's Field Guide to Wild Edible Plants as the most accurate and complete reference on the subject.

For videos check out GreenDeanes Eat the weeds channel: www.eattheweeds.com...
If he doesn't have your plant you probably shouldn't eat it. (North America anyway)

If people think they will get by hunting in a SHTF scenario forget it,
Game will be scarce, moving around will endanger you reveal your presence to others.
Learning to trap your game will be a far more productive use of your time and energy.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

Bone soup has a perfect blend of minerals in it.
It also makes real bone grease which is super healthy. It was used extensively years ago to coat dry beef to preserve it.

We have lost all the real knowledge as a society in the last three generations. Most people are so dependant on the "system" that if it goes down they may die. tptb are counting on this so they can take charge without a government to interfere with their desired control.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

If you want to learn to survive you just have to...Asktheanimals.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Mutations don't become wide spread for no reason.

If it was a mutation it clearly aided in survival given how humans are capable of ingesting milk widespread now.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by davjan4

Bone soup has a perfect blend of minerals in it.
It also makes real bone grease which is super healthy. It was used extensively years ago to coat dry beef to preserve it.

We have lost all the real knowledge as a society in the last three generations. Most people are so dependant on the "system" that if it goes down they may die. tptb are counting on this so they can take charge without a government to interfere with their desired control.

Indeed.

We have lost touch with food and where it comes from. Food does not coem from a box or a can. Cooking does not mean opening can of cream of mushroom soup and dumping it on your GMO factory raised chicken. Now it seems that cooking means that you "assembled" the food yourself at home from cans and boxes and not from a restuarant. I ate at a friends house last night. We had pheasant that was shot a few days ago. In my opinion she ruined it by cooking it in liptons boxed onion soup and a can of cream of mushroom. Why not freash onions and spices and mushcrooms and real cream?

This goes hand in handd with losing touch with our faith the last 100 years or so. Funny how much more thankful you are and spiritually in touch when you raise and kill your own food.

Right now I'm getting eggs from locals who have chickens. Next sping I'll have a few of my own. A goal is to have some roasters and slaugher those myself...

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I'd guess that in one of those speculative SHTF scenarios milk would be off the menu within days for most folk. Out of 300 million Americans, it's unlikely that even 200 million have ever touched cattle let alone have an idea about milking them.

Goats maybe...

I'm not sure where the idea that we used to live primarily on meat has come from. The teeth of our ancient ancestors show far more wear and tear through grinding vegetation than our own teeth today. Starchy foods provided readily digestible carbs when maintaining stores of carbs were a necessity for survival.

Ancient hearths from around the world show how we cooked grains to soften them up for eating and we're still finding bits of the grain in the teeth of skulls in collections. In parts of the US, the NA would actually eat some tough grains and let their digestive system take care of business by excreting them. Once they'd been 'pooped' out, they could then be stored or eaten - yes, they ate them out of turds.

In some SHTF scenarios, *diet-plans* would be meaningless as we'd be looking to keep going using anything digestible to survive. Farm animals would all but vanish and meat on the hoof would be a luxury. Grains, fats, starches and everything else would be crucial. We couldn't all go live on the coasts and riverbanks either so fish and shellfish wouldn't be a protein option for a lot of folk.

As a modern-day, Western diet-plan, it's got a lot going for it and is way more healthy than the average US diet. If it works for you and you're losing weight/feeling fitter - it's all good!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
1. Get rid of pasta, bread, rice, and potatoes out of your diet. Starchy foods are excellent fillers and became “staple” foods following the agricultural revolution because they were cheap and straightforward to grow, and could assistance a larger population. Even so, they’re notorious for lacking in nutrition, and the system quickly converts this foods into extra fat.

2. DO consume refreshing fruits, greens, nuts, seeds and meat. For the same factors you do not desire to consume bread, rice, and pasta. Nutritional worth in these foods are a lot higher, along with your system utilizes the vitamins and proteins contained in these meals particularly throughout and after bodily workout.

Contradictory information. 100 grams of apple when compared to 100 grams of potato shows that potatoes have a much higher vitamin and mineral content, lower sugar content, and apples have 0 protein while potatoes are 3% protein.

edit on 18-11-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

True I 100% buy into this whole heartedly...except Beer was a grain made item and I beleive they made that part of their diet, though I am not sure (and if it was included in my diet at all it would be very limited) But This is the diet that I truly truly believe is the most healthiest I been thinking of this for years and years before the hype it's gotten. I mean I always thought that the food pyramid was crazy for all the grains it wants people to eat you'd be OBESE (Fact because look at how obesity has grown in the years since that pyramid was made as part of the lessons we learn in Health class) The reason I always stated this is scientific, in chemistry I learned that grain (CARB) breaks down into sugar (In turn that builds fat) But sugar being ingested in it's true form is broken down simpler chemically (The process is faster) so fat doesn't build up.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I did this diet for a month to see if it would help me lose weight. I only changed my diet to this and lost 30 lbs in a month. worked out to a pound a day. I had so much energy especially during the afternoon when usually I only wanted to nap.
The hardest part of this and any diet is life and what goes on around you. Going out with friends...
With me if I can stay on it I am good but once I cheat I seem to really cheat!!
But I felt a lot younger my joints didn't hurt all the nagging pains we all have seemed to disappear.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I read an article back about a year ago about the diet of people before the great depression. According to the article the life expectancy of people before the depression was way less than it is today. Seems as though the great depression got people home cooking using recipes their ancestors had used. Just as today the people were eating a lot of processed junk food before that depression happened. The people who stayed with the renewed old diet are the people in their eighties and nineties today. I play pinnacle with some older people and all the old ones with all their marbles eat more soups and homemade dinners and foods. Lots of them have been buying their meats from local farmers and eating venison all their lives. No loss of memories in these people. No great sicknesses either. The ones that eat out a lot have all died or are in nursing homes. There is a lot to all of this. I see it personally and ask old people questions. We cannot switch our diet too fast and some of the changes that we have made may have screwed up our systems, changing how the body takes apart foods permanently. I anticipate this in second or third generations from the changes that have happened. I don't think the paleo diet is for everyone long term but I do think it is a good treatment at a minimum to get people healed and thinking better. I haven't been able to find articles addressing permanent changes but it seems that there are some changes that may take a long time to combat. Unless you change most of the diet at one time there is complications that can occur. I know these complications well, having tested some of this partial change. A big part of our immune system is in knowing the available antidotes or companion foods that are available to aid in enzyme production.

We form this knowledge in our subconscious when we are young, that area is in the primordial section of the brain that is inaccessible by most for thought. The subconscious is being damaged by the chemicals in food, allowing toxins to enter through the strong barrier that is around it. This barrier is weakened by alcohol and allows this primordial information to interfere with normal brain function. This is just my theory, the alcohol causes a weakening of the insulation and electrical signals are shared. We become more kidlike and more controlled by primordial thought.

I can speculate like others, scientists are not the only ones allowed to think. Most of the real things I learned in life were from the common man, I cross referenced this to scientific knowledge over the years, many years. I find that the common man has passed down knowledge that far exceeds what science has discovered, he just doesn't know why or how these things work. The young listen more to the older people than those who believe in the current system because they can see that the old have knowledge that is true. Trouble is that there are many in their fifties and sixties that did not pay attention to what they were shown or told, now they need doctors and people to help them. I chose many years to decipher the flaws in what people say and find what they are trying to convey. They are right most times but screw up because they do not understand why the information they have works and what makes it not work.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join