Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Fujifilm will introduce a 1TB optical disc in 2015

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Fujifilm is working on a new recording method for optical discs. It has developed the new method through the use of two-photon absorption in order to generate heat, and the report in TechOn! notes that this two-photon method is suited for multilayer discs.

"In the future, it will be possible to realize a 15-Tbyte optical disc (25 Gbytes/layer x 3 (eight values) x 100 layers x 2 (two sides)," Fujifilm said.

As the reaction caused by two-photon absorption can be limited to the small area of the focal point of a laser light, it is possible to increase the number of recording layers. The nuance is that Fujifilm has combined a two-photon absorption method with a "heat-mode recording" method.
The latter refers to technology that makes the most of a phenomenon where a change is caused by applying a laser light with a high energy density to instantaneously increase the temperature of a minute area of a recording material.

Two-photon absorption refers to the simultaneous absorption of two photons of identical or different frequencies to excite a molecule from one state to a higher energy electronic state.

The structure of the two-photon absorption material (left) and the variation of the convex shape depending on the irradiation time of a laser light (right). Credit: TechOn!

Sources:
- Two photons sensitized recording materials...
- Fujifilm Sees 1TB Optical Disc in 2015, 15TB in Future

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
i can't wait for this.. the price is definitely gonna be ridiculous at first but at least it'll bring down the price of blank bluray.. etc.. and this needs to have happened earlier actually with all the 720, 1080 bluray, hd video and 3d format, no one wants to compress that. personally, i'll love it for backing up files i am sick of failing external hard drives and losing files.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Very interesting , thanks for posting the article. I have wondered about the next leap in media storage for awhile now. I kind of imagined the disc was becoming obsolete. For awhile I had speculated that eventually media would be purchased on memory cards or thumb drive type devices since the storage/cost of 1 thumb drive can offset a stack of disc in some cases. That or we could have wet-wired implants like Johnny Mneumonic

Thumb drives and memory cards make sense to me from a gaming perspective for instance. Disc scratch and need to be replaced eventually but a thumb drive would fair better. I guess cost is the prohibitive issue...

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Interesting for sure. But I think the boat has long past with optical storage (at least for the consumer). I would use these for client backups, sure.

I think, like blue-ray, they will wait too long to drop the price and the capacity will become obsolete. I've had all external storage devices over the past fifteen years. All except a bluray burner. The discs even now are far too expensive. For the price of a few blank br discs, you can buy a 500gig external.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamOver
For the price of a few blank br discs, you can buy a 500gig external.

yeah wtf is up with this? i haven't kept track but it's like the price hasn't budged much if at all since the br disc was released! i used to back up files religiously to cdr, dvdr.. but when i discovered externals i got lazy and lost quite a few drives and most of what i lost is replaceable but in the early days i lost irreplaceable pictures and to this day i'm heartsick over losing those so let this be a reminder to everyone.. BACK-UP YOUR PHOTOS!!

another thing i'd absolutely love to see the price come down are solid state drives but as expensive as they are they're almost worth the extra cash as they will last a lot longer if not indefinitely.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Hmm, I thought cds were out of fashion now, and then they go and do this.

Does this mean we'll have to buy a new player? A new drive for our computers?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Seems pointless, optical media is dying and to some is already long dead. Focus on SSDs please, or other storage solutions that I'm not even unaware of.
edit on 19/11/12 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
sounds good.......great work from fujifilm

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowland8
Seems pointless, optical media is dying and to some is already long dead. Focus on SSDs please, or other storage solutions that I'm not even unaware of.
edit on 19/11/12 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

Optical media will be around for a long time yet in it's current form. Never mind with the additions of terrabyte scale discs to come in the near future.

Sure, a lot of people go down the digital route to download & stream their games, music, movies etc. It first gets downloaded to their computers, but what happens when they want to clear some space or want a portable/physical backup for whatever! Do you run out & buy a new internal or external hard drive, a tiny capacity flash drive, or a bunch of cheap discs in whatever size you need,

SSD's are crazy, crazy expensive & even a half-price reduction wouldn't make them still anywhere near as cheap as physical media nor as convenient or as portable or as disposable for that matter.

With game consoles & HD media requiring discs & being more popular than ever...that means discs are here to stay!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I wish they would put some research into making disks (both optical and magnetic) more reliable rather then just bigger.
Loosing 15TB of data because you accidentally scratch an optical disk isn't a palatable prospect

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
elevenaugust, thank you very much. I've been looking for a two photon dye for another project, didn't know there were any commercial ones. While I'm not sure this one will fit, it might, and at the least it might point me in a new direction.

If I can pull this off, you will have the thanks of a grateful nation. Heh.

new topics

top topics

join