The Overweight Elephant in the Room

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I'm sure most of you know Hostess is closing down... and the blame is aimed at both the striking unions as well as the mismanagement of the company, including executives that tried to give themselves pay raises while slashing workers benefits and wages (although in at least one case were blocked by creditors).

But...

What about the shift to organic, "natural" or healthier alternatives to the twinkie concoctions of gums and other fillers that make the classic treats Hostess offered?

Wonder Bread was another brand Hostess had, but I can't remember the last time I bought a loaf. I'm particularly fond of Rye, and if I were to buy white or wheat bread I would probably grab something fresh from the baker.

I know enough people out there don't give a rat's ass about what they consume, nonetheless, there is a visible shift into some of the products which are hitting market today compared to 20 years ago. Burger joints have been popping up that offer real meat, locally produced with fresh produce to dress them (lesser limits on choice than you would find at McDonalds) as well as specialty restaurants that make it a point of listing their supplier sources for ingredients.

Purpose of this thread:

If healthy and or conscience eating habits direct everyone to better sources of food, will people raise their arms up as old (big) names dwindle in the dust?

Is it worth even causing a stink seeing mainstay brands that sold processed crap disappear in the din of fresher foods being baked, grilled or broiled at a food market in your neighbourhood?

I don't really see it as a bad thing. If Kraft cheese slices were off the shelves tomorrow I would still buy my freshly unprocessed slices from the grocer as I have always done.

I guess the reality is that we have to expect some of the names were are so used to fall by the wayside if make the choice to eat better food.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
What about the shift to organic, "natural" or healthier alternatives to the twinkie concoctions of gums and other fillers that make the classic treats Hostess offered?

If healthy and or conscience eating habits direct everyone to better sources of food, will people raise their arms up as old (big) names dwindle in the dust?

Is it worth even causing a stink seeing mainstay brands that sold processed crap disappear in the din of fresher foods being baked, grilled or broiled at a food market in your neighbourhood?

One can only hope that this will be a wakeup call to the processed food industry that they need to change their strategy and start selling "real" food again.

I don't really see it as a bad thing. If Kraft cheese slices were off the shelves tomorrow I would still buy my freshly unprocessed slices from the grocer as I have always done.

Yes, I 100% agree with you. The problem is that rather than seeing them close their doors and put thousands of people out of work, I'd rather see them change their paradigm. Perhaps break up into local markets? -- And continue to employ their workers.

But if, in their absence, local food producers thrive and grow, so much the better.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

Yes, I 100% agree with you. The problem is that rather than seeing them close their doors and put thousands of people out of work, I'd rather see them change their paradigm. Perhaps break up into local markets? -- And continue to employ their workers.

But if, in their absence, local food producers thrive and grow, so much the better.

Exactly. 20,000 jobs may be lost in the case of Hostess, but that's not to say others won't be opening up in establishments that offer fresher, better foods with more natural ingredients.

If we are to make a shift into less processed foods this is inevitable.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

seriously you would think more people would view it as an opportunity for smaller companies to take up the slack and if/when they do you are going to have more people employed because of lower rates of production and less automation ....so the price of a loaf goes up by a nickle or dime woopdie doo you have more people working and a stronger economy (and a stronger dollar because of it so youre purchasing power is actually going to go up)

not even mentioning the already existing plethora of hostess product knockoffs that are almost entirely indistinguishable and the fact hostess will probably sell the rights to their most popular/profitable products to companies who will keep pumping the same overly oily and oddly bland snack cakes

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I am surprised that someone hasn't developed a theory that the movie 'Zombieland' predicted the Twinkies demise.

Not that it did.

new topics

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum